test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My new DSC character is awesome! Thank you Cryptic!

kelthuzad#7031 kelthuzad Member Posts: 36 Arc User
I just created my new Star Trek Discovery character. I’m giving her a Legendary boost captain bundle. I got some goodies! Thank you Cryptic for all the love and support for DSC character in general. I’m loving it! I don’t know why some people don’t like DSC caharacter. I can probably understand. I’m somewhat new @Kelthuzad please give me advice and some /hugs.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    I heard that they might add playable Disco Andorians soon.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Awesome, have fun! :)

As far as why some people don't like DSC that is a major off topic for actual game discussion(this board) so before anyone goes there, please take it to ten forward.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Enjoy!

There's quite a bit of difference between the characters from the show and 2250s STO PC or even NPC characters, though. Keep that context in mind when reading some other discussion.

For my part I don't like the warp in for characters with that origin, so the only one I have uses the Verne, which I can live with having a unique warp in effect due to being a time ship. The tutorial backstory felt largely like the others and was mostly forgettable aside from the build up with J'ula, but I think there was too much Tilly. I found her ubiquitousness through that segment really odd and forced.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    That buggy warp in also usually doesn't do more than just add loud thump noise for a lot of people since the warp effects often mix together so it is often just the old warp visuals with the DSC thump noise. The only non-hud/non-weapon DSC special effects that seem to work reliably are the transporter and tricorder/sensor sweep ones.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User

Makes me wonder why they haven't already. After three years of Disco fever, heh heh...
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    joshmaul wrote: »

Makes me wonder why they haven't already. After three years of Disco fever, heh heh...

I don't see what the draw is in slapping a few pounds of ugly wrinkled rubber on their foreheads, but I suppose some people like it.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Enjoy! I'm not a huge Discovery fan, but I think Cryptic did a great job on the Discovery tutorial and missions, the patrols, TFOs, ships and gear.
  • Options
    Enjoy! I'm not a huge Discovery fan, but I think Cryptic did a great job on the Discovery tutorial and missions, the patrols, TFOs, ships and gear.

The Discovery Tutorial is basically a copy and paste version of the 2409 tutorial.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I don't see what the draw is in slapping a few pounds of ugly wrinkled rubber on their foreheads, but I suppose some people like it.

Of course people want them, they're the most popular versions of Andorians yet, have you seen the monstrosities known as TNG Andorians, were they supposed to look like the Great Gazoo?
    Post edited by paradox#7391 on
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

The thing I'd like about Disco are super evil, Bond villian-esque, Orions alpha b*****s.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2021

The Discovery Tutorial is basically a copy and paste version of the 2409 tutorial.

Of course, but with new dialogue and 100% more Tilly.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

Of course people want them, they're the most popular versions of Andorians yet, have you seen the monstrosities known as TNG Adorians, were they supposed to look like the Great Gazoo?

According to who? I'm not saying people don't want them but I'd like to know how you can actually say that they're the "most popular version"
  • Options
    thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User

You’ve basically described every single non-human species from TNG through Voyager.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I think it was Gene who had a thing about not wanting prosthetics on aliens, (I still wonder how angry he was about Deanna not having three TRIBBLE) but you need a little something. I personally loved Salome in her first Star Trek incarnation as the alien we all originated it, but there have to be some differences. It's only characters that we only saw sparingly...the Tholians and Species 8472 most notably, that were radically different.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

Of course people want them, they're the most popular versions of Andorians yet, have you seen the monstrosities known as TNG Andorians, were they supposed to look like the Great Gazoo?

From what I've gathered the TNG Andorian was an intentional attempt to make them as much unlike TOS as possible hence the dark green (with only slight blueish tint) skin and long skinny and straight antenna.

IIRC early TNG was seen by Roddenberry was way to make Star Trek "correctly" so he didn't want any of classic designs or visual references to TOS in TNG, which is why we got an Andorian that makes the DSC redesign seem like a pixel perfect replication in comparison and we got no Tellarites, or Orions in TNG, DS9 or VOY almost like those species went extinct before 2360s, we even get Orion Syndicate in DS9 but no Orions themselves all the Syndicate operatives were humans or species that look close enough to human to be practically identical.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

From what I've gathered the TNG Andorian was an intentional attempt to make them as much unlike TOS as possible hence the dark green (with only slight blueish tint) skin and long skinny and straight antenna.

IIRC early TNG was seen by Roddenberry was way to make Star Trek "correctly" so he didn't want any of classic designs or visual references to TOS in TNG, which is why we got an Andorian that makes the DSC redesign seem like a pixel perfect replication in comparison and we got no Tellarites, or Orions in TNG, DS9 or VOY almost like those species went extinct before 2360s, we even get Orion Syndicate in DS9 but no Orions themselves all the Syndicate operatives were humans or species that look close enough to human to be practically identical.

Gene must have been going senile by then.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

Possibly though from what I've heard he kind of hated TOS seeing it as a corrupted version of his vision. In many ways all that was wrong about the first season of TNG was due to Gene Roddenberry having little to no respect for TOS.
  • Options

Possibly though from what I've heard he kind of hated TOS seeing it as a corrupted version of his vision. In many ways all that was wrong about the first season of TNG was due to Gene Roddenberry having little to no respect for TOS.

A lot of that was actually Roddenberry's lawyer (who he insisted be included in the production because he did not trust Paramount to not push him out again) who liked to twist messages between Roddenberry and the writer's room, and even send his own weird ideas claiming they came straight from Roddenberry. And Roddenberry apparently covered for him to some degree because he was convinced that he needed a lawyer present in all dealings with Paramount no matter how routine.

Apparently what Roddenberry said to his inner circle of writers in the writing phase of the first year of TNG was more along the lines of he wanted to avoid the TOS races not out of distain for them, but rather that he wanted to keep them out of Paramount's attention because he did not want them making weird demands and tampering with them (Paramount kept pushing for a Federation-Klingon war for instance).

And at the time TNG was getting ready to premiere Roddenberry had been shoved out of the movie projects for quite a while and they were essentially paying him to shut up about it and not rile up the fans so he did not trust Paramount very much to say the least (hence the lawyer).

It didn't help that by that time (according to rumor and a few anecdotes from people working on TNG at the time anyway) Roddenberry would sometimes go off into a sort of suggestible almost fugue state and probably didn't know if some of the contested changes were actually done by him or not.

One of those times was when the Ferengi were in early development, Roddenberry said he had a few ideas and would think about it over the weekend and what he came back with would have been too extreme for cable TV, much less network. When (Berman? I forget who at the moment) pointed it out Roddenberry took another look at the writeup almost like he never saw it before and agreed that they needed to tone it down considerably. Apparently he was sick for longer than Paramount let on.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User

at least THEY look canon
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    kelthuzad#7031 kelthuzad Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I personally liked the new flashy DSC interface. Plus that Legendary Discovery Captain Bundle that I bought, it makes my character feels like a SHE IS BORN LEGENDARY! STAR TREK ONLINE new scheme theme is "LEGENDARY". I personally loving it and thanks you Cryptic! :smiley:
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I personally liked the new flashy DSC interface. Plus that Legendary Discovery Captain Bundle that I bought, it makes my character feels like a SHE IS BORN LEGENDARY! STAR TREK ONLINE new scheme theme is "LEGENDARY". I personally loving it and thanks you Cryptic! :smiley:

I'll probably feel the same when the TOS recruit begins later this year. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.