test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

BALLERZ

novemberyankeenovemberyankee Member Posts: 87 Arc User
Am I the only one? I never put points or marks on critical or "maybe" things. I want to know exactly what my ship will do... and do it. The rest is fluff.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    You might want to make your title (and post) a bit more descriptive. I have no idea what you are reffering to.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Yea... no idea what you're trying to say, either from your OP or your title.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I think he's saying when he's building his ship for DPS, he wants things that are "always-on" rather than crits.

Which, if true, fine, whatever, (I personally think it's bad, but...)... but why post about it?

If that is what OP is saying, he's still wrong. Crits are reasonably easy to get up to the point where they are extremely common and not so random, even without fleet consoles. If they were down at 5% there might be a point there, but getting up to 30%+ is realistic.
  • Options
    thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    If the OP is suggesting that he doesn't put points into crit because it's unreliable then he's wrong. Not just a little bit wrong, but to the point of not understanding pretty basic maths. Crits are not unreliable, they're a certainty, and all you change is the frequency and magnitude.

Not only that, but critH and critD are the biggest influence on DPS. Not sometimes, not occasionally, not if you're lucky but consistently. Because that's how probability works when the opportunity is high.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    And high-end EPG builds can get to 100%, at least for exotic abilities and not so much regular weapons - but space magic is the entire point of playing an EPG build...any weapons are just there for support and set bonuses.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    putting aside the crit... I do agree with mostly using stuff that is always on and not stuff that has a very limited time window? Why? The enemy is dead before the window opens.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    The Voth bridge is inside the ship!
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I use clicky consoles on some characters for variety, i.e. fun. For example, one science captain flies the Tholian ships with the consoles and web mine because it's a change of pace, does enough DPS, and Space Barbie is the true endgame.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Well, if you're using the Webspinner Array, you kind of HAVE to also use the mines because they're the only source of hold in the game that can be triggered more than once every 2 minutes - unless you build around Unconventional Systems too.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Unconventional systems is certainly worth building around.

I never used clicky consoles before, unless they had good passive boosts (which most exotic consoles had to be fair - those of the Vesta line, the Edison, Delphic Tear generator and so on). But now I find myself using many more, like the Assault cruiser set on my Sovereign, the Xindi aquatic console, all sorts of torpedo clickies on my Alita, species-specific ones like the Voth stuff and I've even dug up some older ones like the V.A.T.A.

I've also, as a variation on existing builds, done away with my Research Lab Sci consoles on my main Sci, because it allows me to put more clicky consoles on my Vesta. I even went as far as buying the recent Mudd pack, mostly to get the console from the Jellyfish.

It doesn't matter so much that not all of the things mentioned are that effective or that they do not really add something useful all the time - if they're fun and you don't have to wait two minutes to enjoy them, they're worth using faster.

Of course you may need to put a tractor beam or jam sensors on your tray that you wouldn't use otherwise - but I'm used to running lots of cooldown reducers so I usually can fit them in somewhere as there is little else to put in those seatings that won't share its cooldown with something else. On most ships it's not too difficult to find an empty spot.

Unconventional systems is by far one of the best recent additions to the game. It made so much stuff worth exploring and using, I've even been able to enjoy whole new ways of flying my ships.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This guy just wanted everyone to know he has no idea what he's talking about.

Mission accomplished.
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.