test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halp! Need someone who is well-versed in Latin to translate a phrase

legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
And by 'well-versed', I mean actually studied the language, not a master of Google-fu, because Google Translate still isn't perfect and I need to ensure this translation is correct.

Anyway, what would 'From the stars, Salvation' be in Latin?​​
Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
"We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
Passion and Serenity are one.
I gain power by understanding both.
In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
The Force is united within me.

Comments

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Salus, salutis, salvatio are verbs from which salvation comes to English from the French salvacion.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/salvation

Conjugating salvare or salus. You could use something like:

“ab astrīs ad salūtem“

From the stars to safety.

Or

“Ex astrīs, salus”

From (Out of the) stars, safety

I asked r/latin for you too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/latin/comments/o14aty/comment/h275xi6
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I don't see how a word like 'Salutis' translates into 'Salvation' - it looks more like a word that evolved into 'Salute' or 'Salutations'.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    I don't see how a word like 'Salutis' translates into 'Salvation' - it looks more like a word that evolved into 'Salute' or 'Salutations'.​​
    Well, that's English for you.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I agree with @qultuq, I would be inclined to go with "Ex Astris, Salus", it fits well with a bunch of other "ex <word 1>, <word 2>" mottos: e.g. Starfleet's own "Ex Astris, Scientia" ("from the stars, knowledge") and the US Naval Academy's "Ex Scientia, Tridens" ("from knowledge, a trident", the latter metaphorically meaning naval power).

What @jonsills said. English isn't a Romance (Latin-derived) language, it's a northwestern Germanic tongue that got about half of the vocabulary haphazardly replaced by (mainly) church Latin and French. There's an old joke that English doesn't borrow words, it chases other languages down dark alleys and mugs them for spare vocabulary.

The English famously can't spell or pronounce words worth a damn, either: a toilet is called a "loo" in the UK because the Normans would yell "gardez l'eau", "watch out for the water", when emptying chamber pots out a window, which got corrupted to "gardy-loo". And on this side of the Atlantic, "barbecue" is a corruption of a Mesoamerican indigenous word, "barbacoa".

Interestingly, Dutch is really the closest brother language to English: if you speak English, you can sort of half-read written Dutch.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    starswordc wrote: »
    English isn't a Romance (Latin-derived) language, it's a northwestern Germanic tongue that got about half of the vocabulary haphazardly replaced by (mainly) church Latin and French. There's an old joke that English doesn't borrow words, it chases other languages down dark alleys and mugs them for spare vocabulary.
    “The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse TRIBBLE. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.” - James D. Nicolls
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Still looks unusual to me, but I suppose it'll work.

Incidentally, is there also a SubReddit dedicated to Ancient Greek history and mythology, since there's apparently one entirely for a semi-dead language?​​

#LegalizeAwoo