test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Genesis bundle disapointment

captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
Two things immediately struck me from the new Genesis bundle -

1. A T6 Oberth science vessel. So I guess the far superior Nova-class can just stay at T5, while this outdated design gets brought to T6 standards. Really?

2. The Genesis Device Ground Vanity item. So.... I understand why it is included in this bundle, but it very much devalues the one Foundry Spotlight authors EARNED. Yes the info says it is different, but its not. The only thing different is that there is no torpedo included in the animation at the very end. Big whoop. Honestly I never understood why this was a reward for excellently written missions anyway - especially since it was rewarded only when the Foundry was shutdown. Almost the antithesis of Genesis - in other words, when the Foundry was shutdown it became 'lifelessness from life'. How about replacing the Foundry reward with something else (something more appropriate) , now that the Genesis Device is going to be fairly common?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Look at this way the players who went to the conventions or gotten by other means can say the same thing about those special boffs but now they are being added to the store for purchase or given away for spending so much money. (ex TOS crew/Leeta/Bashir/La Forge/Kira/Garak/EMH/disco crew when they return) But you don't see them complaining about those boffs being available again even if it is through Mudd's or in the case of Bashir the Health Care Workers Bundle and the EMH via Phoenix and Mudd's).
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Look at this way the players who went to the conventions or gotten by other means can say the same thing about those special boffs but now they are being added to the store for purchase or given away for spending so much money. (ex TOS crew/Leeta/Bashir/La Forge/Kira/Garak/EMH/disco crew when they return) But you don't see them complaining about those boffs being available again even if it is through Mudd's or in the case of Bashir the Health Care Workers Bundle and the EMH via Phoenix and Mudd's).

Yep. I also don't complain about people being able to get event ships through Mudd's and Phoenix tokens.

Someone else being able to pay (and support the game) to enjoy something I earned years ago doesn't take away from my fun.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Things don't remain exclusive in STO, at least not for a long time.

The special squadron hangar pets were limited to a promo ship, and then came available to C-store ships.
    The Borg lock box made the playable lifetime species rather unimpressive.
    The Chimera's multiple-mode function wasn't so unique anymore after the release of the Dyson ships, the S31 intel ship and some other ones.
    The firework console isn't a lifer-exclusive thing anymore.

I can go on for a while, but I think the point is clear. If you want exclusive stuff because you spent money on the game or put in some special effort into something, you need to play another game. Cause very little in this game remains really exclusive to a few people willing to spend real money or put extraordinary effort into something.

Whether we like that or not, that's just how it is. And how it has been for a while, cause this isn't really a new trend to be fair.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    "I guess the far superior Nova-class can just stay at T5, while this outdated design gets brought to T6 standards. Really?" I really fail to understand this reasoning.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Why inappropriate? You know how Genesis turned out. As for the Nova whatever it's merits it isn't consistent with a Genesis theme. I'm happy to see more retro WoK options on the table. I think I'm more excited about the vest and jacket being included rather than being a forgotten dilithium sink that wasn't worth chasing. I just like ships that have mountains of parts even if the newest look doesn't do anything for me.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They recently clarified how the Genesis Ground Device works. You click it and this is called: :)

https://youtu.be/HgpBD5uLzPA
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    1. A T6 Oberth science vessel. So I guess the far superior Nova-class can just stay at T5, while this outdated design gets brought to T6 standards. Really?

How is the Nova superior? Just because it’s the one you want?

Yeah it can and is staying at T5. At least for now.

And that’s totally fine. You’re not owed anything.

Maybe they picked the Oberth because it has TMP pedigree and therefore fits into their plans for the Temporal Recruit rerun at the end of the year.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    edited June 2021

I think the 'Genesis' theme is from TOS and Nova is from a far later period. What does one have to do with the other?

I think people are really starting to get fed up of the 'Nova nutter downers' who seem to think it is thier job to post on ANY new ship announcement

"I bet it's not a Nova!"
    "Nova is more deserving!"
    "Pathetic! Everyone knows everybody wants a T6 Nova!"

Just let people enjoy a new ship anouncement without some kind of boring illogical diatribe about the Nova.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Maybe they picked the Oberth because it has TMP pedigree and therefore fits into their plans for the Temporal Recruit rerun at the end of the year.

By this logic, they should have already done a T6 Nova for the Delta Recruit rerun that just happened on PC and is still happening on Console.

But in the end, it is the devs who decide what ships get released and when, so you like what gets released, buy it and play, and if you don't, don't.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I think people are really starting to get fed up of the 'Nova nutter downers' who seem to think it is thier job to post on ANY new ship announcement

"I bet it's not a Nova!"

Just let people enjoy a new ship anouncement without some kind of boring illogical diatribe about the Nova.

So ignore them, and have a nice day.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Thomas (the lead ship artist) is a big fan of the TMP era aesthetic, so that's probably why it was selected AND why the bundle was given a TMP theme.
    A bundle designed for Temporal Recruit would be released around the time of the event, not now with a Gamma rerun. IMO the Temporal Rerun will probably have a TOS boost bundle with a Legendary Miranda (with a special TOS inspired skin) go live some time after the event starts, the D7 bundle was two months after Klingon Recruitment started so there could be a similar gap, or they might decide to do it faster this time. The Gamma event may have a similar type of Legendary Bundle come up (though probably without a level boost), if it does that may help us determine if there's a predictable timing involved or not.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

By this logic, they should have already done a T6 Nova for the Delta Recruit rerun that just happened on PC and is still happening on Console.

But in the end, it is the devs who decide what ships get released and when, so you like what gets released, buy it and play, and if you don't, don't.
    equinox976 wrote: »

"I bet it's not a Nova!"

So ignore them, and have a nice day.

I'll start with you :)

Have a nice day yourself!
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    TMP refers to the first ST movie?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    TMP refers to the first ST movie?

Primarily, but it is also used to refer to the first six movies as a whole as well, usually as TMP Era but some people just put TMP even though they're referring to things like the Miranda, Excelsior, or the TWoK uniform.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited June 2021

How is the Nova superior? Just because it’s the one you want? -That would be more than sufficient reason, but the fact that the Nova is a newer canon design/ more nimble is a more objective reason why the Nova is without a doubt superior.
    The Oberth is TOS era.

Yeah it can and is staying at T5. At least for now. - and it's a bloody shame that it is still being ignored. Had the original plans for Voyager materialized in which Equinox was the foe for a whole season, then it would have been a LOT harder to ignore the Nova at this point.

And that’s totally fine. You’re not owed anything. - Yes and no. By creating the various polls, the devs requested player input and it was not unreasonable to assume that they would act on the results of said polls. Now the winner of two polls is a running joke for being ignored. Even a ship which was from the Kirk era and barely had screen time was kicked ahead of the poll winner.
    Can one really fault the fans of the nova for becoming grumpy at this point?

Maybe they picked the Oberth because it has TMP pedigree and therefore fits into their plans for the Temporal Recruit rerun at the end of the year. - Perhaps someone should inform the devs that they missed an awesome opportunity to release a T6 nova/Rhode Island with the Delta recruit.

Edit: corrected some faulty autocorrects

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Festivus is early this year. On to the airing of grievances?

I'm disappointed that restaurants don't offer Beef Wellington any more. It's been years since I've enjoyed that deliciousness.

I'm also disappointed that I'm getting older. My hairline is looking like Patrick Stewart's or Shatner's without a toupee.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Don't have a source at hand, but the episode with Equinox in addition to year of hell and workforce were considered for season arc. In the end it was decided to stay episodal.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • thewolfsterthewolfster Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

That’s not actually logical at all.

You’re presuming that all other factors are equal. That they had the same opportunity and weren’t working on other things that were higher priority. You’re assuming the T6 Nova could have been ready in time even if they wanted to. You’re assuming that they could line up a new ship project for each rerun (it’s more likely this has been in the works for the whole rerun period so far. Not all things are equal so you can’t assume each possibility is equally achievable.

So no, by this logic nothing. Your supposition is extremely reductive.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > When was it stated the Equitation was going to be a foe for a whole season? Year of Hell was supposed to be a season long story arc that got cut down, but I've never seen it mentioned the Equinox would be the same.

Geeze, I thought you knew everything. My read on it though is probably more like Brandon Braga was joking around, or playing with the name— it doesn’t seem anyone was too serious about making it an actual year.

Anyway here is a relevant quote:

“”
    Kirsten Beyer: For me, the “reset button” is the laziest form of storytelling imaginable. I could never create a story that relied upon such a reset for resolution. It’s just cheating. I will never forget “Year of Hell.” By the time that story aired, I had already starting pitching stories to Voyager’s producers and one of them had been telling me about this concept they were working on…this “Year of Hell” that would strip the ship down to its bare bones.

I was all for it. I was expecting it to last an entire season, which was one of the early discussions. Instead, it was fabulous episode right up until the end.
    “”

http://blog.trekcore.com/2014/03/kirsten-beyer-interview-protectors/
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    *Sigh* More complaining about a new ship release just because, "It'S nOt A t6 NoVa!!!!1111"
    This is really getting old, so please stop.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Not to mention that the Oberth comes from Star Trek 3 the Search for Spock, and we should have had Kirk's hero phaser with Unique FX that knock back the enemy and has those pulsing waves of phaser energy coming off the target like when Kirk killed his son's Klingon Murderer.

I suggested other costumes and the update to the TWOK uniforms. We could have gotten the Undiscovered country torpedoes that Excelsior and Enterprise fired at Chang's BOP. In fact even Chang's ship used the same torpedoes.

Given that Chang's cloaked BOP disabled Chronos 1 with a single torpedo hit, these unique torpedoes could have a high chance for disable where it causes the enemy to drift for a few moments.

Other goodies I suggested included a movie era bridge to be used on any of the many movie era ships we have in game (Miranda, Oberth, Stargazer, Excelsior, Connie, etc.)

I'm a bit shocked the dev's didn't include any unique items other than the two updated ship variants.
    A bridge is a big ask I get it, nobody has to remind me, but we really need to do what it takes to get Shatner in game before it's too late- and that special mission might involve a 23rd century movie era bridge, especially if we go back in time to the Enterprise A.

A proposed mission could involve an untold story that took place between movies. Maybe that space between star trek 5 and 6, where the Enterprise A is refit to have a much sleeker bridge with those beautiful Blue and Green original LCARS panels lining the entire bridge.

2. The Genesis Device Ground Vanity item. So.... I understand why it is included in this bundle, but it very much devalues the one Foundry Spotlight authors EARNED. Yes the info says it is different, but its not. The only thing different is that there is no torpedo included in the animation at the very end. Big whoop. Honestly I never understood why this was a reward for excellently written missions anyway - especially since it was rewarded only when the Foundry was shutdown. Almost the antithesis of Genesis - in other words, when the Foundry was shutdown it became 'lifelessness from life'. How about replacing the Foundry reward with something else (something more appropriate) , now that the Genesis Device is going to be fairly common?

This discussion has been closed.