test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Oh Cardassia, where art thou?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I know that this has been discussed a hundred times, but I still feel it just as strongly...where are the Cardassians? They're one of the most prominent races in Star Trek, we have playable Cardassians, Intel Ships, there's still the old Cardassian Arc...but what about the rest?

We know at the end of DS9 that Cardassia Prime was decimated, millions or billions of Cardassians were dead, even though they changed sides at the eleventh hour, I'm sure no one in the Alpha Quadrant trusted them and their entire race was in shambles. Honestly...they sound like more of a direction, than the destruction of Romulus!

The Obsidian Order was destroyed...but maybe it rebuilt in secret. The Cardassians were made pariahs...but maybe they pulled themselves up by their own boot strings. Not to mention that instead of Mirror Leeta and the Pah-wraiths, why couldn't Dukat be brought back?

I'd love to visit Cardassia Prime and see it as a wasteland, or being rebuilt. The wasteland would really be ironic, after how the Cardassians left Bajor.

Cardassian technology was pretty unparalleled. Until they shut the power off, their defence platforms were obliterating the attacking ships and Dreadnought? Ooh, but Dreadnought was UNSTOPPABLE and if only they'd built more. Maybe though...one appears. Then another and another and another, by Cardassians, surviving Obsidian Order or a rogue element who want their power back.

And instead of cloned Klingons...how about cloning Seska? I always assumed she was OO herself and there are all sorts of weird and wacky ways to do that.

In the novels what Dukat was doing to the real Iliana was CHILLING, but there's just so much scope!

I also bet that Andrew Robinson would return as Garak...and maybe even write the arc himself.

It could go in any direction, but a Cardassian season would be lush.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I would also like to see a new Cardassian arc where you visit Cardassia. That said, I recall them saying something to the effect of 'it would basically be the same story they told with New Romulus and don't want to tell it again". I get that, but I think they could come up with something different enough that it's not 'just New Romulus again'.

Idea: maybe combine this with the Mirror Leeta story somehow. Maybe she is trying to take over Cardassia or get some kind of revenge against them for what they did to our Bajor? Or maybe something to do with the Pah Wraighs. IDK, but I'm sure there are lots of ideas that could involve a visit to Cardassia without it being a New Romulus repeat.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I would also like to see a new Cardassian arc where you visit Cardassia. That said, I recall them saying something to the effect of 'it would basically be the same story they told with New Romulus and don't want to tell it again". I get that, but I think they could come up with something different enough that it's not 'just New Romulus again'.

Idea: maybe combine this with the Mirror Leeta story somehow. Maybe she is trying to take over Cardassia or get some kind of revenge against them for what they did to our Bajor? Or maybe something to do with the Pah Wraighs. IDK, but I'm sure there are lots of ideas that could involve a visit to Cardassia without it being a New Romulus repeat.

The Prophets have Bajor, let the Pah-wraith have Cardassia! In Harbinger, they have their own orbs and a wormhole and Empok-Nor is going begging, so the DS9 sets could be reused.

And maybe a holographic Seska...they brought Stamets back that way and we know Seska had made a hologram of herself before.

Leeta, Dukat, Garak, Seska, the real Iliana Ghemor (played my Nana), Quark's girlfriend, Tracey Scoggins, the boy who bit Garak all grown up, Seska's half Kazon son...there are just so many potential characters you could use and bring together.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    The Federation is preventing them from being a military and refusing them to build their own ships, in honestly sounds like something Terrans would do to a race they just conquered, I'm pretty sure The Obsidian Order splintered off and formed the True Way, the ships the Cardassians had were limited and stolen by the True Way terrorists who we then decimated in the "Cardassian Struggle" however I would love to visit Cardassia Prime over boring Bajor and I'm all for a Cardassian arc as long as we get their ground weapons, I always wondered what happened to the real Iliana Ghemor and as for Seska's half Kazon son, we met him in the Delta Quadrant and he died like a little TRIBBLE.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    The Federation is preventing them from being a military and refusing them to build their own ships, in honestly sounds like something Terrans would do to a race they just conquered, I'm pretty sure The Obsidian Order splintered off and formed the True Way, the ships the Cardassians had were limited and stolen by the True Way terrorists who we then decimated in the "Cardassian Struggle" however I would love to visit Cardassia Prime over boring Bajor and I'm all for a Cardassian arc as long as we get their ground weapons, I always wondered what happened to the real Iliana Ghemor and as for Seska's half Kazon son, we met him in the Delta Quadrant and he died like a little TRIBBLE.

Well, I'll account recount what happened in the novels, which aren't considered fact, but then neither is STO technically. In the books, Dukat found the real Iliana, still living her life as a Bajoran. He kept her prisoner, TRIBBLE her repeatedly and drove her into madness.

In STO, Seska's son created his own Kazon Faction...but did he really die? If not, I can absolutely see him leaving the Delta Quadrant for something more with the Cardassians though.

The Cardassians are darker and more disturbing and it wouldn't be just wave after wave. It could be Pah-wraith storylines, sleeper agents and a chance to bring back some great characters.

And that Cardassian rifle...drag it through the mud, etc :-) Ooh, ooh, ooh and I would LOVE the Cardassian transporter effect. It's my absolute favourite and I only wish I could buy it from the C-Store.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    The problem with Cardassians is that the Cardassian Union was never a major player in the galaxy.

Back in TNG, and early DS9, they were a small power, near the edge of Federation space, that had tried to fight the Federation, and lost. They only gained power in DS9 due to their alliance with the Dominion, and it was the Dominion's power that gave the Cardassians their own faux power. But the Cardassians themselves were never that powerful.

Following the end of the Dominion War, Cardassia was no longer part of the Dominion, and the Dominion had devastated the planet. The Carassians, not being as stupid as the Romulans, accepted Federation aid in rebuilding their homeworld, in exchange for dismantling their military(with the Federation accepting the role as protectors of Cardassian space)

By the time STO rolls around its been over 30 years since the end of the Dominion War, and the Federation has helped Cardassia rebuild. Besides the True Way terrorist group trying to take Cardassia back to the military state it once was, a group we deal with as is, Cardassia really doesn't have any real problems.

You aren't wrong, but everything you said is past/present tense. None of that means a new story cannot be told that involves the Cardassians in some new story/problem. I mean, look at species like the Deferi and Lukari. Completely 'unknowns' as far as Trek lore and also not major players on the galactic scene, yet entire arcs were made about them. So yeah, they could definitely tell some new Cardassian focused story about some new issue if they wanted to.

Which would be awful writing.

Please don't tell me that good writing is suddenly a requirement for missions in game :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    Back in TNG, and early DS9, they were a small power, near the edge of Federation space, that had tried to fight the Federation, and lost. They only gained power in DS9 due to their alliance with the Dominion, and it was the Dominion's power that gave the Cardassians their own faux power. But the Cardassians themselves were never that powerful.

Following the end of the Dominion War, Cardassia was no longer part of the Dominion, and the Dominion had devastated the planet. The Carassians, not being as stupid as the Romulans, accepted Federation aid in rebuilding their homeworld, in exchange for dismantling their military(with the Federation accepting the role as protectors of Cardassian space)

By the time STO rolls around its been over 30 years since the end of the Dominion War, and the Federation has helped Cardassia rebuild. Besides the True Way terrorist group trying to take Cardassia back to the military state it once was, a group we deal with as is, Cardassia really doesn't have any real problems.

I'd argue that the Romulans went with the smarter route, at least they're not dismantling their military due to their stubbornness, a trait that I both admire and share, personally I like doing everything by myself even if I am clearly struggling, there's no way I'm getting hand outs from mere peasants that are far beneath my notice, sure... I may be poor now but I will never let go of my Pride, even after I lose everything else, besides it's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Pride and dignity are the same thing, and we know what the Ferengi say about dignity - ROA #109: Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

As for Cardassia making any sort of major appearance now...the only way that would likely happen is if it's somehow involved in the upcoming mirror arc - like, Leeta breaking through the Alliance blockade in the badlands with her new uber-fleet and invading Cardassia to use as a staging point or something, so the Alliance has to call on their Angel of Death (AKA, we the player) to bring down the unholy power of fleetus deletus upon her once more.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    The military-inclined Cardassians are probably mostly either in Starfleet or the True Way, aside from possibly some planetary defense ships (if those aren't Starfleet).

We could have an arc, but it would be something like someone activates the Orb of McGuffin on Cardassia, and Grand Admiral Genocidus (the player) is sent to the planet to settle their hash.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User
    edited June 2021

I'd argue that the Romulans went with the smarter route, at least they're not dismantling their military due to their stubbornness, a trait that I both admire and share, personally I like doing everything by myself even if I am clearly struggling, there's no way I'm getting hand outs from mere peasants that are far beneath my notice, sure... I may be poor now but I will never let go of my Pride, even after I lose everything else, besides it's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

The situation was totally different for the Romulans. Cardassia is small and dense, only the homeworld and a few colonies, whereas the RSE was a major power with quite a few old established worlds spread across a much larger area of space. The only reason their the lost of their capital world spelled the end of the RSE was that it kicked off a disastrously intense internal power struggle that tore the empire apart and left many of its worlds in very dire straights.

The Federation could afford to step in and get the much smaller Cardassian Union back on its feet and protect it afterwards, but there is no way they could do the same for the RSE after the dust settled a bit, there is too much there and too much territory to patrol. A real world example is that the US could do that with Japan after WWII, but there is no way the US alone could have done the same with the Soviet Union if it had collapsed in the war, there is just too much there and there would not have been enough resources to handle it.

For that matter, PIC reveals that the Federation could not even handle giving the Romulans much in the way of aid just for the evacuation of their capital much less any significant amount of aid for the rest of their star nation.
This discussion has been closed.