test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TFO - Remain Klingon

2»

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    This is starting to get really annoying. It's been three weeks now, and some people are still not paying attention. I had one yesterday that totally ignored all my polite messages, both during the TFO and after, just derping around the Kristak. And the really infuriating part is that the game kept giving him the green circle over and over, even when I was closer.
    Its not all the players fault tough. I missed my triggers today as yet again all the makers and arrows was wrong/broken. I expect this event will stay broken until its over. How do you know the player was even seeing the notifications? He could well have the bug where the notifications are missing or pointing to the wrong place.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    This is starting to get really annoying. It's been three weeks now, and some people are still not paying attention. I had one yesterday that totally ignored all my polite messages, both during the TFO and after, just derping around the Kristak. And the really infuriating part is that the game kept giving him the green circle over and over, even when I was closer.
    Its not all the players fault tough. I missed my triggers today as yet again all the makers and arrows was wrong/broken. I expect this event will stay broken until its over. How do you know the player was even seeing the notifications? He could well have the bug where the notifications are missing or pointing to the wrong place.

A legitimate point, I must reluctantly agree.

And I must also admit that when all goes well, this is a satisfying TFO. Now that I've done it 30 times or so, I feel like I have a good handle on how it works. Twice today I have had a good run with a good team, when it all went slicker than catTRIBBLE on linoleum.

And I must also admit that when all goes well, this is a satisfying TFO. Now that I've done it 30 times or so, I feel like I have a good handle on how it works. Twice today I have had a good run with a good team, when it all went slicker than catTRIBBLE on linoleum.
    It certainty is nice when it works. I just don't get why some players seems to get 90%+ smooth runs and others like myself are running at 50% bugged runs. There must be some unknown factor playing into if this goes wrong or not. I suspect its something to do with the ship being used but I am not entirely convinced.

Then again I could be wrong and the player in question could just have been one of those types that ignored everything.

It certainty is nice when it works. I just don't get why some players seems to get 90%+ smooth runs and others like myself are running at 50% bugged runs. There must be some unknown factor playing into if this goes wrong or not. I suspect its something to do with the ship being used but I am not entirely convinced.

Then again I could be wrong and the player in question could just have been one of those types that ignored everything.

No, I do not think you're wrong. I've been doing the TFO mostly in a Fleet Retrofit Research Science Vessel, that is the fleet retro version of the "Goldfish Bowl" or "Bubble Ship", with an X-upgrade added. With the engine from the Competitive rep, it's fast & nimble AF. And my KDF Tac with the Krenim Science Vessel & Competitive Engine does alright. But when I tried it with my KDF Engineer, who flies a Goktad carrier (the T6 version of the Kar Fi), things did not go all that well. There seemed to be notably more general weirdness. The experience is notably different depending on your ship.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    The worst is when someone pops one of the opaque plasma storms where there is a high probability of loosing sight of your own ship let alone the two dreads. Even the transparent version the Risan ship makes starts out with an annoying flash (though not as bad as the beacon) that can lose you a second or two while not being able to see the target indicator and arrow.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Plasma Storm and Neutronic Eddies really are the two biggest culprits in making everything look like you're driving through a 'pea-soup' fog...at night...while on LSD...during an aurora, because those two effects cover your entire screen, no matter how zoomed out you are - most of the others, like grabbity well, subspace vortex, temporal vortex, VCIS, IT and so on are certainly very busy and in a lot of cases far too flashy, but they're still small enough to not cover the entire screen if you're fully zoomed out.

And of course there's the Bacon of Kahless, which can easily lose you 5 seconds off the timer due to how long the flash lasts - thankfully, you get 30 to start.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Alot of folks don't play the objectives and it's obvious they don't pay attention or simply don't care. It's especially infuriating when you get someone who refuses to hold off in UAA to close the errant rifts so everyone can get an extra hundred marks.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    edited June 2021
    Alot of folks don't play the objectives and it's obvious they don't pay attention or simply don't care. It's especially infuriating when you get someone who refuses to hold off in UAA to close the errant rifts so everyone can get an extra hundred marks.
    A lot of people don't play TFO's for marks. For many the marks you get at the end are meaningless. For those people it can be just as infuriating to be told how to play and being told to wait for what they see as a meaningless time waste.

Unless someone asks in chat to get the errants it seems reasonable to me to expect players to skip that objective. Its very infuriating when people complain or tell us how we should play at the end of the TFO. Its another matter all together if they ask near the start.

Personally the only secondary objectives I like doing are the ones that have a challenge behind them or take some effort to pull off.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Alot of folks don't play the objectives and it's obvious they don't pay attention or simply don't care.

It's like you didn't read this thread at all. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It's like you didn't read this thread at all. :)

To be fair there is a LOT of back and forth going on too on this.

Speaking for myself, I've had good runs and bad runs of this TFO. I've tried to avoid using the Bacon of Kahless, opting for others like the Hur'q one if possible. And if I'm on my Megawell ship, I try and keep it mostly centered so that it draws heat off the people around the Dreads, and keeps the area around the Dreads clear of anomalies that could obscure vision.

Admittedly doesn't always work.

And I would be annoyed by someone not doing the objectives as... well... that's the thing you do in TFOs. Work as a team to achieve the objective. I can understand if someone doesn't understand the mechanics, and I'd be more than willing to help if people asked. But there are two things: One, it practically tells you when it happens what you need to do every time. "The Targ has you targeted, get to the Kri'stak!" Two: they are voiced, and you even hear them discussing the plan during the mission when they realize what has to be done.

So, at least from my perspective, there's little to no reason, outside of bugs that may make it hard to see where to go, for someone to not know what to do.

Which then raises the question of is it a bug, some other reason for not understanding, or just willful dissent? I'm willing to bet that the majority of instances fall into the first two categories, which can be given a pass. The few that remain in the last category is probably split between "Knowing your ship is just too big and slow", in which case I can probably give a pass to as some ships are frickin' bricks no matter what *coughD'Deridexcough*, and purposefully choosing not to do the mechanics.

That last branch of the last possibility tends to harm teams in other games because mechanics matter, especially in boss fights.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

And I would be annoyed by someone not doing the objectives as... well... that's the thing you do in TFOs. Work as a team to achieve the objective. I can understand if someone doesn't understand the mechanics, and I'd be more than willing to help if people asked. But there are two things: One, it practically tells you when it happens what you need to do every time. "The Targ has you targeted, get to the Kri'stak!" Two: they are voiced, and you even hear them discussing the plan during the mission when they realize what has to be done.

Though it gives voice elements like misses whether or not you're the one who did it, which confuses the issue.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    rattler2 wrote: »

Though it gives voice elements like misses whether or not you're the one who did it, which confuses the issue.

This, exactly. I hear the "Blah blah has you targeted, get to the yadda yadda" even when I don't have the ball, and the same with K'Bich shrieking "You MUST get closer next time!". The audio files do not play only to the ballcarrier.
    AS far as that issue of reaching the green circle, and the ball not being dropped because you're going fast - the solution is to aim right at the target dreadnought, like you were trying to ram it. Just passing through the big green circle won't do, if you are really hauling TRIBBLE.
This discussion has been closed.