test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is my Zefram Cochrane Shotgun gone for good?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I created some new toons for the Delta Recruit event and I've been able to reclaim a lot of things...my Season 7 and 8 Tribble test rewards, Prior World Satellite, Sompek Arena Lightning and even the Tommygun, etc! The one thing that I've noticed is missing on all of the toons, is my Zefram Cochrane Shotgun, which is always a favourite against Borg on the ground.

Does anyone know if it's been retired, because at the time, I was able to unlock it on my other toons.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• discojer2#5455 discojer2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    The shotgun is from 2014, before event rewards were account unlocks. You can get it from a VR phoenix token.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The shotgun is from 2014, before event rewards were account unlocks. You can get it from a VR phoenix token.

This. It predates account unlock events, have to get it via phoenix tokens if you want it. I think the tommygun largely fills the same role so if you have that one you may not find the shotgun that necessary.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    VR tokens are easy to get, just buy 1-2 of the Phoenix 10-packs.
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    always the throwing knives from that gamma mission if you dont want to waste dill on alts
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    NO, this is not true. I definitely remember being able to reclaim it on alts some years ago, and now it's gone. They changed it.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I think you are mistaken, you can only reclaim the shotgun on characters that unlocked it. It was possible to run the event with multiple characters. It's the same with the Sompek Pulsewave. The Sompek blast assault is account wide, the pulsewave per character.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think you are mistaken, you can only reclaim the shotgun on characters that unlocked it. It was possible to run the event with multiple characters. It's the same with the Sompek Pulsewave. The Sompek blast assault is account wide, the pulsewave per character.

Yep, a per-character reclaim. I had it a on a couple of older characters but have had to buy it with VR tokens on new ones.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    Yup. The Shotgun ws pre account unlock. Its only character unlock.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    What gets me about the shotgun, is the borg can adapt to the shotgun blasts.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    sniper1187 wrote: »

Uh... what? They shouldn't. Its Physical Damage. They can't adapt to that. You sure they haven't adapted to something else? Used to be in the past that if they adapted to a non standard damage type like cold or radiation, it didn't matter what you used, it would trigger the "Adapted" warning even if they haven't adapted to the damage you're dealing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

No, they can't. The Shotgun, Tommygun and TR are never adapted to, which is why I prefer to use them against the Borg instead of a Melee.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User

Actually what some borg can do is, if their physical health goes down without their shield going down, they can summon reinforcements that appear behind you. Think that was added when the Bozeman ground patrol was added for First Contact day. Not sure if all shielded borg can do that, or just the ones in Bozeman.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    No, they do it on Defera as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    No, they do it on Defera as well.

Is that where those hijos de TRIBBLE are coming from?!?
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Uh... what? They shouldn't. Its Physical Damage. They can't adapt to that. You sure they haven't adapted to something else? Used to be in the past that if they adapted to a non standard damage type like cold or radiation, it didn't matter what you used, it would trigger the "Adapted" warning even if they haven't adapted to the damage you're dealing.

and more importantly only 1 borg drone ever had KE shields in canon (and the VOY episode that drone appeared in was built around making sure the Collective did not get that data).

Borg adaption isn't magic but a tech with unknown limits, though we can assume higher power shots make it harder for the borg to adapt (based on the ENT episode "Regeneration" the exact mechanism is still unknown to us the viewer, however there are some limits we do know and not being able to adapt to physical impacts is one of those limits.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

and more importantly only 1 borg drone ever had KE shields in canon (and the VOY episode that drone appeared in was built around making sure the Collective did not get that data).

Borg adaption isn't magic but a tech with unknown limits, though we can assume higher power shots make it harder for the borg to adapt (based on the ENT episode "Regeneration" the exact mechanism is still unknown to us the viewer, however there are some limits we do know and not being able to adapt to physical impacts is one of those limits.

Two things that always got me in the shows...firstly, I found it offensive that Reed could adapt phasers that were able to kill so many Drones. Those were the most effective phasers in the whole of history and I. Did. Not. Like. It.

The second is that Picard knew that bullets could kill the Borg...so why didn't Starfleet just equip everyone with TR-116 Rifles? They would have been the ideal weapon to use against them!

That said, I would love the Elite Force iMod to make it into the game, but then that would be Endgame...unless it was an energy weapon that could be used from afar but worked as a melee, a bit like Leck's Throwing Knives.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Anything can kill the Borg...the first few times - then they adapt. We didn't see enough drones killed by bullets to see if they could've adapted to them as well.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    The thing with kinetic weapons is that adapting to them is not really useful because a lot of things classify as that.

Even if Borg eventually adapted to typical bullet guns, they'd likely wouldn't fare well against, for example, a bullet shot at hypersonic speed by a railgun.
    Then, even if they manage to adapt to it and somehow avoid the issue of momentum, you'd only need to shoot a bigger bullet to overcome the shields (and likely turn the drones into metal-flesh pasta). Then, since Borg are technically alive, I doubt a shield would help dealing with well-placed trauma caused by more mundane injuries.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    “If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough”​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited June 2021
    Anything can kill the Borg...the first few times - then they adapt. We didn't see enough drones killed by bullets to see if they could've adapted to them as well.

They also never remember in the shows. They adapt to the phaser frequency, adapt to the new one and next time it works again. Yes, maybe they changed the phaser frequency in the meantime, however obviously the attempts to do that during the encounter are limited plus the heroes already set phasers to automatically cycle through frequencies as well.

Then the whole concept of hand-to-hand combat or "kinetic" is unadabtable is also wonky, since Drones were shown to be shielded against being touched at least once (though granted, it was on a cube and the forcefield could have been emitted from anywhere) plus the first drone ever encountered moved with superhuman speed and strength, not allowing itself to be touched while flinging Worf and/or Security Guy across the room - a trick they also forgot when they decided to move all slow and sluggish.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Probably because, like with using a transporter as a panacea, they realized having an enemy that was super-humanly strong, fast and basically immune to everything was stupidly overpowered.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Probably because, like with using a transporter as a panacea, they realized having an enemy that was super-humanly strong, fast and basically immune to everything was stupidly overpowered.

Well, the way I see it, the Borg wasn't meant to be beaten with force. They always had to be "clever" even with simple solutions like telling them to "go to sleep". But you are right, since they became regulars they had to be more conventional action flick zombies pig-36.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    There's something... I forget if it's a trait or a spec ability or a set bonus... but there's something that can add additional damage to your weapons. And that additional damage is not kinetic, so they can adapt to that, but not to the base damage.

Had it happen to me once... they were spawning the adapted warning but still dying at normal speed. I mouseovered the buffs/debuffs icons on the captain's indicator and saw "They've Adapted! - (damage type)"... I forget which it was.

It can be lots of things. Radiation is the most common one. Photonic Overcharge is such a kit module.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    What was the reason the shotgun didn't migrate over to an account-wide unlock when other old event rewards did? Or am I misremembering that entirely? I could swear when event rewards shifted to account unlocks, older rewards were changed to account-wide as well, for those players who had unlocked them.

I've got it on all of my old Toons and I only unlocked it on one. It was once an account unlock, which is why I couldn't understand that it wasn't appearing in the Dilithium reclaim for me since I last looked.

The goalposts always get moved for me. The free skeleton carrier, which you got from the Solonae missing? I got that on one Toon, but this was back when I had so few ship slots and there was no dry dock, so I discarded it...and then the rules changed and I would have been able to reclaim it as an account unlock if I'd kept it. I can still claim the weird Federation versions, but not that Carrier.

I wish there could be retrospective reclaims for things that would today be unlocks, let alone account unlocks, because I lost so many things over the years.
This discussion has been closed.