What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update ate a character slot

Comments

• tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    sniper1187 wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    This is a weird one, but is certainly not intentional. We're taking a look.

Good. Would really be a new low if it WAS intentional. Just hope ppl didn't lose an actual toon over it: that would be disastrous.

Can just see cryptic saying "Its the players computers, which are the culprit for losing toon slots" lol

If that argument could be made, I'm sure some other player would have tried it already. You see this almost everywhere in games. "Well, *I* don't have the problem, so it must be your <computer/internet/skill> not being good enough."

For whatever reason, players are often more fervent defenders of game companies than the companies themselves. And they do it for free. :p
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    I can confirm I had no empty slots when this occured and 14 characters I still have no empty slots and 14 characters. So, at least it's not eating live characters. Hopefully.
    aftulus wrote: »
    I can confirm I had no empty slots when this occured and 14 characters I still have no empty slots and 14 characters. So, at least it's not eating live characters. Hopefully.

As far as we can tell, that is true. But if you go to delete and remake a character, you might end up with 13 characters and no empty slots instead. Many people may be affected in this way and not know until it is too late.
  • rangeramongyourangeramongyou Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    tagen wrote: »

As far as we can tell, that is true. But if you go to delete and remake a character, you might end up with 13 characters and no empty slots instead. Many people may be affected in this way and not know until it is too late.

This. This just happened to me the other day. Deleted a lowbie toon so I could remake him, but, no free slots.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    tagen wrote: »

This. This just happened to me the other day. Deleted a lowbie toon so I could remake him, but, no free slots.

Looks like Cryptic isn't actively deleting existing toons (pfew); but once you delete one, seems the (lowered?) internal toon counter is telling the system you are already at max.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    Kael updating someone on twitter regarding the issue

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »

I would expect this fix to take awhile, cause they're gonna want to understand WHY it happened (so they can prevent it in the future), WHO it happened to, and then determine if a simple bug fix will correct it or if they need to send out free character slots to affected accounts. There's also the possibility that having that extra slot was a bug all along that was accidentally fixed, if THAT is the case then they would need to decide if they want to give it back anyway to make things right or leave it as it currently is.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    [quote="evilmark444"]There's also the possibility that having that extra slot was a bug all along that was accidentally fixed, if THAT is the case then they would need to decide if they want to give it back anyway to make things right or leave it as it currently is.[/quote]

Wouldn't that beat all... That'll be their excuse for not giving it enough attention... "Not worth the money..."

🙄
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    edited June 2021
    westmetals wrote: »

I would expect this fix to take awhile, cause they're gonna want to understand WHY it happened (so they can prevent it in the future), WHO it happened to, and then determine if a simple bug fix will correct it or if they need to send out free character slots to affected accounts. There's also the possibility that having that extra slot was a bug all along that was accidentally fixed, if THAT is the case then they would need to decide if they want to give it back anyway to make things right or leave it as it currently is.

It wasn't. Every time slots were added, there was an announcement that they were adding a slot. So the theory that there was an "extra slot as a result of a bug" is simply impossible.

I think you greatly underestimate Cryptic's skill when it comes to creating impossible bugs. :p

I don't know that it would matter either way in this case, though. This is widespread enough that it can't be swept under the rug as easily as they did with the ship slot coupons last year. One way or another they eventually need to say something about the missing character slots beyond "we're looking into it."

It wasn't. Every time slots were added, there was an announcement that they were adding a slot. So the theory that there was an "extra slot as a result of a bug" is simply impossible.

It's extremely unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out as completely impossible. If that actually IS the explanation though I think they'd do the right thing and give it back because it would look bad if they didn't.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    every slot that was added was announced as intentional.

You're assuming it's one of those slots that was lost which I do think is likely, however that would impact every single player and there have been some reports from people who say they didn't lose any, so only Cryptic would know if this is the case or not.

If having the slot in the first place was an unknown bug then it would've probably been related to a character slot purchase or a promo or something awarding more than it was supposed to. Again I do not think this is the case, but we can't completely rule anything out until Cryptic completes their investigation, decides how to rectify the situation, and reveals their findings.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Another week...another patch yet not even worth mentioning it? I know they talk in other social media. Officially this is like a slap in the face of the playerbase. What a business model does really work when they "ignore" a major issue in this MMO.
    Another week...another patch yet not even worth mentioning it? I know they talk in other social media. Officially this is like a slap in the face of the playerbase. What a business model does really work when they "ignore" a major issue in this MMO.

This is Cryptic, though. Expecting anything else would be like expecting there to be no typos or copy/paste errors in announcements. ;)
    Why would the patch mention it if they don't know what caused it/have a solution to it? That isn't what patch notes are for.

Patch notes will often have (at least in other games and applications) a section for "known issues". Problems that were either known to be introduced with the patch or that are still being worked on with no fix yet.

It would be a handy way to a) spread information so players are not ambushed by a bug, b) keep track of problems so they don't fall by the wayside, and c) just let us know Cryptic is on it even if it will take longer to fix.

I'm not sure whether Cryptic has ever done this, but I don't think it would be the worst thing for them to start. :)
  • kaosbainkaosbain Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    The patch of June 16th ate my character slot, I had it prior to this patch.
    The update today ate the rest of my available character slots!

I had 5 before the update a few weeks ago that ate one of them... Then I had 4... Today on login, it shows I have NO remaining character slots!!!

HELP!!!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    kaosbain wrote: »
    The patch of June 16th ate my character slot, I had it prior to this patch.

I can't check my own account, but according to Reddit today's maintenance made the problem SIGNIFICANTLY worse, some people are missing as many as six or more character slots now.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    Yes, I'm now missing the 3 empty slots that I had. That was a pleasant post-patch surprise!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Just a heads up guys, Cryptic is aware of missing slots and is investigating.

I checked with Kael when I noticed I was missing a couple empty slots and he confirmed they're looking into it instantly when asked.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited June 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Just a heads up guys, Cryptic is aware of missing slots and is investigating.

I checked with Kael when I noticed I was missing a couple empty slots and he confirmed they're looking into it instantly when asked.

Thank you for the information.

They have been investigating it for 3 weeks now. I'm sure people understand that weird bugs can take time to track down and fix, but given today's escalation of the problem, I hope someone at Cryptic sees this as a good time to make an official statement beyond "we're investigating".

Edit:
    so, what do I have to do to get them back? I've already done an exit and relog...
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Its possible that that's all they CAN say at the moment.
    Code is quite complex, especially when dealing with 10+ year old speggetti. Had some weird things happen a few times in the past where they would fix something, and something about the Borg would break.
    Super Emergency to Engines Spheres anyone? lol

Anyways... All we can do is be patient. I'll try and update if I hear anything from Kael, and I'll try asking him later to give the forums an update if he hears something. But other than that... let them work. Demanding this gets fixed yesterday doesn't actually help. It does take time to track it down, and... god knows how long it can take when sorting through lines of code.

I mean... if anyone remembers Jurassic Park...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4kBRC2co7Y
    "How many lines of code are there?"
    "'bout 2 million."
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vicormavicorma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    It's fine they are aware of the issue but I don't dare to perform maintenance on my account now I lost also my 2nd free slot...
    Hera%20squad%20logo1a.png
    crm14916 wrote: »
    so, what do I have to do to get them back? I've already done an exit and relog...

If it's not fixed by the time of today's Livestream then Kael will probably address it then.
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.