test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Qo'Nos TFO and those who Derp it

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Ran it again today with the biggest ship I currently fly, the Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught Carrier. Part of the problem is DEFINITELY due to how the mechanic UI elements scale based on ship size. Here's my NX and JHDC results for comparison, the NX is almost zoomed all the way out and the JHDC is max zoomed out:

XNjibKs.png

rn4bJzt.png

With the small NX class the UI is tiny and impossible to read, while with the JHDC it is HUGE. This is also where the disparity in play experiences comes from, clearly the people saying things like "how did you miss the giant yellow arrow" are flying larger ships while those who don't notice it at all are flying smaller ones. The target reticle is visible on all the ships I personally fly, but that alone doesn't help you find where the target ship is. The devs should adjust the minimum scale so that it's more noticeable and still readable with small ships.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,712 Community Moderator
    Okay that's enough of the bickering. Certain individuals in here need to cool their jets, and you know exactly who you are. Simply because you aren't experiencing a bug does not preclude the possibility others are experiencing a bug. There are hundreds, and even thousands of possible computer configurations that exist, which means hundreds and even thousands of possibilities for a bug to crop up due to an unforeseen interaction.

Another thing people need to understand is that in the heat of combat in a TFO, you may not always catch the visual or audio queues until it's too late. If anyone says they always catch everything, then I'm going to call targ guano, because no one in here is infallible. Even if you see and/or hear it, sometimes due to the nature of the TFO you're not always able to make it to where you need to go due to combat conditions. You're going to miss a call out once in awhile or not make it, that's simply the nature of it. If someone is doing it consistently over and over and over again, that's when we need to ask if it's something they're doing or if it's something up with the game. Some of the folks in here have asserted that they are not seeing or hearing all of the warnings the game is supposed to provide. Thankfully those who are asserting a bug have provided evidence they say will prove said bug.

As to some screenshots above, provided by pottsey5g, i'm not seeing just one bug but 2. In the first one the arrow is missing showing where to go. In the second shot, the arrow is present, but the green ring and the audio appear to be missing. Some folks might say "but they still have the other warnings there", which is wholly irrelevant to the fact that there is a bug with the warnings and not all of them are present. If not all warnings are present, then it's 100% possible for someone to miss it. I will be forwarding the relevant info here up the chain to let them know about the UI issues.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Another good run today (4th time so far); nothing new to add. It seems like most people have figured it out by now? As far as the bugs go I haven't had them myself yet, but hopefully they can resolve them for those that are getting them.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Yeah but not all of us came here after (or during) playing a dozen other full-graphics MMOs so the comparison isn't as valid as you think. (My only previous MMO was Gemstone, which is text only)

Oh and by the way (in response to your earlier comment about it) the Beacon of Kahless doesn't just blind you when enemies use it. It works on ALLIES too. Which means sometimes it's players using it (which can't be avoided)... in my opinion it's basically the TROLL BUTTON and should never have been introduced to the game, but whatever. Keep saying it doesn't blind people because YOU REFUSE TO LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU.

^^ So very much this!

"It works on ALLIES too." Very true. Especially highly annoying in CCA. I usually take a pilot ship, so I can timely backstep (for that brief immunity) when that ring approaches apogee. When I can't see TRIBBLE, I can't time things properly.

Beacon of Kahless should never have been introduced to the game: it's simply very bad design to come up with an ability that blinds everyone -- save for those in (trollish) denial.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    The runs are getting better. The only ones who are not completing objectives are just parking at a ship and not even attempting to move. At least those of you with bugs are Trying to move to an objective. This thread is more directed at those who just park and say TRIBBLE the team.
    5th run today, and probably the best so far. For some reason I was targeted 3 times in a row, which was kind of cool. I also noticed someone else targeted while I was too, which I don't remember seeing before but could have missed it. Anyway, if multiple people are targeted at the same time that's a good thing because if someone either isn't playing or is bugged and doesn't know their targeted that means at least one other person has the chance to get to the ship.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    That's not for the same ship, it's for the other ship - both ships can target someone with their respective weapon at the same time.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    5th run today, and probably the best so far. For some reason I was targeted 3 times in a row, which was kind of cool.

It is cool. Had the same thing happen to me. Getting targeted multiple times is a sweet deal. There is a bit of a rhythm available there and things seem to go quite well shuttling back and forth. Also had a couple of perfect scores so teams are getting better :)
    protoneous wrote: »
    5th run today, and probably the best so far. For some reason I was targeted 3 times in a row, which was kind of cool.

It is cool. Had the same thing happen to me. Getting targeted multiple times is a sweet deal. There is a bit of a rhythm available there and things seem to go quite well shuttling back and forth. Also had a couple of perfect scores so teams are getting better :)

getting targeted non stop makes for a fast TFO, I love it. I use the flight speed space perk when playing this TFO, I just do back and forth flight paths, I let the team complete the objective after Ive "dropped" it off.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Getting targeted multiple times is a sweet deal.

That depends on your build, if you're flying a slow ship and don't either have many mobility abilities slotted or some way to drop combat then getting targeted twice in a row can be a nightmare.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

That depends on your build, if you're flying a slow ship and don't either have many mobility abilities slotted or some way to drop combat then getting targeted twice in a row can be a nightmare.

Thats why the large/slow ships shouldnt be stopping, they should be flying figure 8's from dread to dread just dropping off the objective. I do this with My Intel dread and T6 Tal Shiar adapted no issues if you just keep moving.

edited June 2021
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    mysonne1 wrote: »

Thats why the large/slow ships shouldnt be stopping, they should be flying figure 8's from dread to dread just dropping off the objective. I do this with My Intel dread and T6 Tal Shiar adapted no issues if you just keep moving.

I'm sorry...but neither of those ships are particularly slow or low turn rate ships. Try to do this map in a support carrier or a DD and tell me again how getting multi targeted in those ships is a good thing for the progress of the TFO.

I play this with my Jem Hadar carrier and still .. keep moving, equip the thrill seeker perk, add pwr to engines .. if you keep moving, you succeed. I made sure to test this on larger ships so that people couldnt call me out, you succeed if you keep moving.

I'm sorry...but neither of those ships are particularly slow or low turn rate ships. Try to do this map in a support carrier or a DD and tell me again how getting multi targeted in those ships is a good thing for the progress of the TFO.

I play this with my Jem Hadar carrier and still .. keep moving, equip the thrill seeker perk, add pwr to engines .. if you keep moving, you succeed. I made sure to test this on larger ships so that people couldnt call me out, you succeed if you keep moving.

The JHD support carrier or the vanguard one? The vanguard one is once again not that slow or low turn rate. And yes, you CAN make ANY ships move decently well if you specialize for it...but are you saying that every player in a DD or a support carrier MUST hyper specialize for speed and turn rate to play this map? And you don't think that is a design problem?

If you are playing this TFO over and over for marks, ya you should respec your ship to succeed, to do otherwise is laziness. I dont use thrill seeker on any other TFO but this one. Planning for success should not be a point to complain about.

6th run for me today. This was the first time I noticed a couple of people not seeming to know they were targeted, or not knowing what to do. It was a little frustrating, but I just parked in front of the ship and it targeted me next time. A few others did the same and we got it done without too much trouble.

Today I also saw more effects than normal; not sure if there just happened to be the right combo of people using certain things, but it was more intense than I remember the last 5 runs being.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,493 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Both circles have been red for me too though not very often. One way to tell is voices, the Witch always sends you to the Kristak (I know that is not spelled right) and Martok always send you to the Targ, though if the arrow and timer are gone (they seem to like to hide behind other UI elements) telling which ship is which in the chaos can be difficult.

On very small ships where you have to zoom in to see it (like Vulcan the cow-skull) the arrow is sometimes off-screen.

As for the Beacon, I usually don't see it that often in this TFO. I go though it five or six times without seeing a beacon, then maybe one or two in the same session. I have even popped one myself to get out of a really nasty cross fire but I use it only as a last resort in TFO, and in that particular case would not have used it even then if my Kobayashi Maru had not disappeared in map transfer (it turns out it snapped back to the ship I first mounted it on, I found it there by chance via the ship manager).
    Both circles have been red for me too though not very often. One way to tell is voices, the Witch always sends you to the Kristak (I know that is not spelled right) and Martok always send you to the Targ, though if the arrow and timer are gone (they seem to like to hide behind other UI elements) telling which ship is which in the chaos can be difficult.

On very small ships where you have to zoom in to see it (like Vulcan the cow-skull) the arrow is sometimes off-screen.

The circles only turn green if you're the one being targeted, and only for the ship that's furthest from you. Each ship will only target a player within 10 or 15km of them. They're spaced far enough apart that you can only be targeted by one ship or the other. However, if there aren't any players in range of the ship you're directed towards, you will be targeted by that ship as soon as you drop the current target in place, assuming you're in range when that happens.

Mechanically, the TFO isn't complicated. It's just not 'shoot, shoot, shoot some more, blow everything up, collect loot' simple, which seems to the only kind of TFO you can rely on other players to do right (or 'right enough' that it doesn't matter). Regardless, I don't think I've been in a run where at least one other player in there with me didn't know what to do. And that would be fine if the targeting mechanics preferentially selected players who were correctly dealing with being targeted and ignored players who weren't.

Yes, I know one of the circles is supposed to turn green when you are targeted, my point is that it does not always happen and both can still be red when you are targeted (just not very often).

Also, I have been targeted when quite a ways off from or behind the dreads, while chasing down repair or escaping ships which with some of my slower ships makes it impossible to get to the target in time even when switching power profile to speed and using evasive and/or engine batts though that is a different issue.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Was this tested on tribble or is it another nugget that's only gone through the minimal internal testing before being shoved out into the wild? Things like the UI scaling causing important indicators to become lost to a player seems to indicate that it wasn't looked at with more than a small handful of generic ships.

The point of a test server is that you test stuff, granted missions might be best left inhouse to make sure nothing from what passes as story ends up being spoiled on youtube but for TFO's that are going to be part of a core content rotation for several weeks it doesn't put the company in a favourable light not to use all the avenues available for testing it.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Another bad run. For those still blaming the players just take a look at this screenshot. Bug.png At this point I am almost running at 50% bugged runs. When this happens its no wonder players are missing the target.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Thanks for testing this out pottsey.

Cryptic should not have released this map in its current state. I also find the idea to place the progression of a map on a single member in team highly questionable.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    I'm actually enjoying the TFO at this point, despite how much I raged against it at first.

But I certainly agree that the pixel vomit visual spam is overwhelming. I have actually posted a couple videos to support this contention.
    True, while there are a few problems with the mechanics the idea is a good change from the usual in-your-face obvious timegates.
    7th run today, went very well. Everyone seemed to know the drill and the progress on both ships was pretty steady and even the whole time.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.