test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

game crashes

kirstieinkirstiein Member Posts: 130 Arc User
My game is crashing atleast 3 times everyday since weds maintance. I usually am on for 3 hours a day, and it seems to happen when I am either on esd by the bank, or coming out of a tfo returning to esd bank area. Please fix this as it is really annoying.
Helping people is my passion in life. If I see someone without a smile I try to give them mine. :)

Comments

• lemminger83lemminger83 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Yet another issue that I can confirm.
    It happend to me, several times, at ESD and the Klingon Academy. I was on my way from point A to point B and suddenly, the game is frozen for a moment and is then immediately gone, with an error massage occurring.
    qc13grtl44vw.png
  • rocketman33#0665 rocketman33 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    I've given up, after weeks of crash to desktops, black screen, and intermittent loss of weapons.
    I have a high end pc & have done all of the following:

Force verify patches, delete .hogg cache files, have the latest video driver, matched WIN10 + directx version + directx features + STO, and I've dropped down from the highest video settings to the lowest. The game crashes at any time (patrols most notably or even just looking at inventory) and my poor delta recruit Romulan ctd twice and black screened once during an Argala patrol this morning. The storyline quests seem to work a lot better. I've also traced everything through my modem/router/isp and everything is working. This all started happening after an STO patch and a WIN10 patch at the same time. I'm guessing there's a problem within STO but I know there are also issues between WIN10, DirectX12,11and features so I've also tried to run the game in WIN8 compatibility mode, to no avail. I'd consider getting a new even higher end video card if it was possible to do so (thank you crypto currency people & point of sale hackers).

I'll be playing something else now but monitoring these forums to see if anything gets resolved. It's too frustrating at this point to play Star Trek Crash Gauntlet.
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    3-4 times daily, game crashes, past 3 weeks. All my other games and other apps etc, no problem, STO problem. It has been working fine up until these recent patches, you have put out. something is wrong.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
    edited June 2021
    Update: I shut down all other apps on my PC except for Microsoft including shutting down the firewall, disabled some nvidia features, and continue to delete the cache files. My "trace" shows very good speed from my PC through the isp but slows down by fourfold when the signal hits the Akamai Technologies server & cryptic studios. It's now completely dedicated to STO & Microsoft and I've only had one crash to desktop today. It should not be this difficult!

For what it's worth, of the 100's of crash file hits I've had, the last five ID's are:

Crash ID: 359ac9, 35a4d7, 35a500, 35b5fa, 35bfb3
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Also getting random crashes to desktop, often when the game is sitting minimized in a social zone, since that last patch.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Today I even managed to make an event before game crashed. What changed in the last patch that years it was okay and suddenly it crashes so often?
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Btw anyone knows what is 35
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Just be glad your crashes don't take down everything else running AND corrupting files of other programs to boot. Mind you Cryptic's defense team tried to pin the problem on EVERYTHING but the actual problem of STO. Like overclocking is an actual issues these days on a gaming rig. I'm sorry, but if overclocking is causing your program to crash and corrupt OTHER PROGRAMS in modern times, you just wrote malware. Fortunately, Cryptic devs are not as TRIBBLE as these people seem to think they are.

It started to crash like this after I installed Magic: Legends, coincidence? :smiley:
    Final Update: After a lot of hours logged yesterday and "only" 3 crashes (2 to the cryptic error box and 1 "normal" server timeout) things were improving with my STO dedicated rig (nothing else running except MS) today is back to horrible again. In less than an hour I had two crash to desktops and one black screen of death; both crashes were during patrols and the bsod was when I was interacting with a security officer. From other posts it looks like Cryptic is blaming user issues for the latest problems but I haven't had problems with other games or apps and I've now downgraded from the highest video settings to the lowest. Other than a big signal slowdown once you hit the Akamai tech wall then Cryptic everything looks fine.
    Final Update: After a lot of hours logged yesterday and "only" 3 crashes (2 to the cryptic error box and 1 "normal" server timeout) things were improving with my STO dedicated rig (nothing else running except MS) today is back to horrible again. In less than an hour I had two crash to desktops and one black screen of death; both crashes were during patrols and the bsod was when I was interacting with a security officer. From other posts it looks like Cryptic is blaming user issues for the latest problems but I haven't had problems with other games or apps and I've now downgraded from the highest video settings to the lowest. Other than a big signal slowdown once you hit the Akamai tech wall then Cryptic everything looks fine.

That felgercarb akamai is one of the main problems, that company needs to be drug thru a knothole backwards.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    Twice today o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2021
    Since 5/25 patch, though it started earlier for some, appearing early as 4/28 as denoted here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1261957/cant-even-load-game-since-5-25-update-just-black-screen

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1261966/weapons-wont-fire

There really seems to be 3 closely linked problems a vast majority of players see:
    1. Black Screen, unable to see graphics, Cryptic logo on start, or login Screen.
    2. Game Crashes mostly started around 5/25 for a lot of people.
    3. Others can't see Weapon or various Visual FX they used to prior to 5/25.

All three are likely closely related or similar causes for them all. *sigh*
    ╘ be nice to see them make this a priority!

I had one before a few days ago doing a Crystalline TFO.
    Incident ID 357db2

Today I had it crash just flying in Sector Space doing nothing special. Left Bajor headed to Orellius and...
    Incident ID 35ecaa

@ambassadorkael#6946
    Hopefully they put this to REST soon, very frustrating as a lot of people are seeing these now!
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    The game just crashed with the ID: 35f71a
    qc13grtl44vw.png
  • stoplayer777stoplayer777 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    My game has been crashing constantly since the patch of 6/3/2021. They also broke the Joystick axis. We're in "good" hands.
    edited June 2021
    The game just crashed with the ID: 35f71a

Hopefully more post their Crash ID like you and I have done, and a few others in the other related threads. I know other person I play never posts to forum like many, so hopefully more will identify their issues with the:

@ambassadorkael#6946
    0zxlclk.png
    edited June 2021
    Best we can do is:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/supportredirect/app/home/
    ╘ selecting Game Support and using 'Chat' to log a ticket or Contact Support for Arc Ticket.

And request Chat or Support to open ticket to explain the problem. I had ARC Support ask me to send my DXdiag report and upload it in text format, they also send it up to the next level of support for investigation.

Note: Include any crash ID's you experience or write them down in ticket.
    ╘ unless you have the black screen, no cryptic logo, or another issue.

So hopefully others are being asked to send this, and include Arc Support Ticket ID in the name of the text you include for tracking.

DxDiag xxxxxx.txt for example
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    6 time outs, 3 crashes today. night is still young.
  • kirstieinkirstiein Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    This all started happening after an STO patch and a WIN10 patch at the same time. I'm guessing there's a problem within STO but I know there are also issues between WIN10, DirectX12,11and features so I've also tried to run the game in WIN8 compatibility mode

I can verify it is NOT an issue with win10 as I am running win7. Prior to this issue, my game crashed rarely, I have been playing this game for about 7 years and it probably crashed maybe 5 times in those 7 years prior. So it is not anything on the players end, this is a file issue on the games end. As a former game dev I can attest to the fact that it is rarely an issue with a players computer, and this is very clear in this instance because of the fact that people reporting this issue have vastly different set-ups.

So I am asking the devs stop blaming the players for this issue, hunker down with those files and find the issue, and fix it please! Thank you!

Helping people is my passion in life. If I see someone without a smile I try to give them mine. :)
    There doesn't seem to be a pattern to my crashes -- ESP, DS9, sector space, patrol, story, looking at inventory but I struggle to get through a patrol without a CTD then maybe a black screen. Here are my crash ID's from the past couple of days:

Crash ID: 35bfb3,35c95f,35d256,35d270,35e54e,35e5c0,35ea3b,35ea90,35ee4b,35f765,35f7cf,35f816,360beb,360c09,360e4d,36139f,36141b

My patience is approaching a warp core breach especially since there is zero acknowledgement that any problems exist.
    edited June 2021
    Oh that is a very good list you've provided.

While I do wish a DEV would more often reply to bug forums; I'm sure they do at least read them.

It's after all in their 'best' interest to do so!
    0zxlclk.png
  • yepidiedagainyepidiedagain Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Just here to add my crash id to the list. 361904

Game felt a little slower than usual when I first logged in, keyboard was slow to respond and during the first few patrols it felt like the whole system was hanging for around 3 or 4 seconds (ship would continue to move forwards but no response from keyboard or mouse).
    After that everything ran smooth for over an hour and then got blackscreened on Nimbus while walking out towards the worms.
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    I've been juggling computers so I don't have a list of IDs for the 20 or so crashes I've had in the last few days, but the latest is 362a8f.

It is, as people say, ridiculously bad.
    Update from June 6: Many hours of play and ZERO crashes. Either a fix or fixes were implemented (could have been something simple like adding back capacity) and we don't know about it or some of my infinite fix attempts took hold. If they fixed something, then it would be nice to know so I don't spend hours running down rabbit holes trying to make my game stable.

Here's what I did late June 5:
    Reverted to default Windows 10 and DirectX in-game settings, maxed nvidia setting to "performance", shut off nvidia's "image softening", excluded STO from Firewall, removed all non-essential programs (kept MS), set STO to run as ADMIN, no on-demand patching/force verify/safe mode at STO start up for now, deleted the two .hogg cache files, in the GamePrefs.Pref file removed the reference to Direct3D at the end of "GfxSettings.DeviceType".
    For in-game settings, DISPLAY tab Fullscreen mode, matched resolution & refresh rate to PC, aspect ratio "auto", vertical sync off, resolution scale 1.0, changed antialiasing to FXAA. GRAPHICS tab turned off as much as I could including anisotropic filtering, lighting 2.0, dynamic lighting & shadows. ADVANCED tab left "on" reduced file streaming/limit CPU usage/multi-core rendering but turned everything else off and changed limit frame rate to 60 (I was running at 110 plus before).

Things on my end that I suspect as problems were programs in memory especially new ones (TeamViewer, Razer Synapse), antialiasing setting, and framerate setting. I will slowly reinstate features one at a time to see if I can improve the game's look (went from highest graphics setting to lowest) without causing crashes. The other complication is that some time ago I had to pull my GTX 1070 because it was puking out artifacts & use a backup GTX 650. I've been trying to get a new RTX 3 card but the crypto miners have them all and unless you have point of sale script to make an online purchase in 90 seconds or less you're not getting a card anytime soon.
    Not every day I have a crash either, but others can have several each day.
    0zxlclk.png
    edited June 2021
    June 7 update: after over 24 hours of zero crashes, my Delta recruit was listening to dialog in Iconian War/Broken Circle/last two Iconians in cutscene when I got a CTD 363ce5

Part 2
    Followed shortly thereafter by a "server timeout". This is really looking like server(s) issues (Akamai?, Cryptic?, both? or capacity or quality has been cut back?)

June 8: Doing daily event & patrol for rewards & crash ID's. After turning back on Graphics/Lighting 2.0 so DS9 was no longer totally dark, I flew an Argala patrol & at the very end of the patrol got a CrashID: 365021

June 9: First run of the day = crash 365c58. Followed a WIN10 update in the middle of the night also.
    Crash#2 - halfway through a story & crash 366228
    Crash#3 - logged back in to run event patrols & on Strike at Seedea got a crash 366825. I'm good for about 20 minutes of play before I get kicked. Diving into EventViewer & I may be losing permissions to be in the game. Ultimate solution may be to just find a new game to play.

June 10: first run on Argala patrol = crash 366b70

June 11: took a break but came back today to run another Argala patrol = CRASH 3685e3. I have a high-end gaming PC & run everything at maximum graphics (use to run STO that way) but have dumbed it down to just run STO at lowest nvidia/WIN/STO graphics setting but highest performance.

Windows EventViewer tells me every crash is preceded with a warning: application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM server application with CLSID. I run everything as ADMIN and the recommended "fix" for this is a 26-step process editing my Registry! Since STO is the only app that fails I'm not risking wrecking my Registry. After the warning, EventViewer tells me I got an error (crash) Graphics Exception -nvlddmkm cannot be found. However I've reloaded drivers many times including on 6/10 and nvlddmkm IS in its folder. EventViewer finishes with -nvlddmkm stopped & has successfully recovered.

Since Arc/Sto doesn't even acknowledge there's a problem or it's all on the users, I'm done. I'm going to spend the day resetting Windows, my PC, nvidia back to my original settings, and unistalling STO. They got my lifetime membership from me and I had a good run without all the recent problems.
    Post edited by rocketman33#0665 on
    Had a Crash today.

36425f is the Incident ID.
    0zxlclk.png
    My game just crashed with the ID: 3649a2
    qc13grtl44vw.png
    strathkin wrote: »
    Had a Crash today.

36425f is the Incident ID.

Same Crash again today. :(
    0zxlclk.png
    Game just crashed again. ID: 367791
    qc13grtl44vw.png
  • panda002811panda002811 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Has anyone experienced these anymore since the 11th? I'm always getting a 36f123 or 36d124 or something like that. But earlier I got a server not responding and a crash to desktop. I don't remember the crash code but it was different than what I've been getting. I've updated drivers, gone through my bios and other things, event viewer says something about distrubutedcom 10016 error warning. I changed the settings for that to no avail. I've forced verify, unchecked on demand patching, done a few optional windows updates, etc. NOTHING. Someone else mentioned windows and sto both had a update recently so maybe that's the issue? But what are the chances of both companies fixing it? Especially Microsoft. I didn't have any issues like this until the end of may. I'm at a loss of what to do other than wait and see if there's hopefully any fix. I highly doubt it's hardware related because like I said, I've updated, ran troubleshooters, etc. Nothing changes. I've considered a full reinstallation of the game but I'm not sure about doing that then it crashing again afterwards after waiting 20 hours for it to install with my internet. Other games (as far as I know, I probably just jinxed myself lol) work fine. The only time I ever use to get crashes was on my old computer (which had a 2011 amd cpu and gpu) on kobali prime. This is getting long but what im trying to say is I don't know what else to do except wait. And with the risa event coming up, that fills more anxiety. If anyone has a fix or something, let us know please
    edited June 2021
    I've tried everything in STO, Arc, Windows, DirectX except for registry edits and the only things that may have at least slowed down the crashes (I have a folder w 100's) or were just coincidental, were (1) shutting off the Image Softening feature in my Nvidia control panel/Manage 3d settings which now makes my text harder to read, (2) changing the STO advanced setting to limit my frame rate from 120 to 60, and (3) per Support added the line "ArcOverlayEnable 0" in the launcher options command line. Support was very responsive and nice, but it played out like this -- send us your dxdiags, you have out of date graphics drivers even though they were from 6/8/2021 and installed 6/10/2021, no response about the drivers, then closed the ticket when I told them shutting off Image Softening may have helped but I still get crashes. edit: btw, remove as much of the Xbox Live TRIBBLE that MS will allow to remove, unless of course you need it.

I'm force-verifying the latest patch and hoping the patch notes didn't bother to mention server fixes. These fixes could be internal to STO or Arc or the handoffs with Akamie Tech & we may never know. After going through all my Event Viewer logs, it looks like my "permissions" issue went away but my nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys times out and fails then resets ok. The driver has been replaced many times & is current so I'm now stuck. To protect my sanity I've reconciled that my Lifetime Sub in STO did pay for itself and I've reactivated all my old WOW characters.