Install Arc

Qo'Nos TFO and those who Derp it

Comments

• mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    (flame/troll/name and shame post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • loonlangloonlang Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I get that some people may not see the red/green circles on screen due to visual clutter, but ignoring the big arrow pointing at where they need to go?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    What arrow? I have yet to see any arrow when I have a target indicator on me - and I was specifically looking for it last night after seeing it mentioned here.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • loonlangloonlang Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    What arrow? I have yet to see any arrow when I have a target indicator on me - and I was specifically looking for it last night after seeing it mentioned here.​​

Right next to the countdown when you're targeted.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    loonlang wrote: »

I'll look next time but I haven't seen an arrow yet either, the font on the timer is also a bit small so it's difficult to read anyway.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    Seems to be a common issue in TFO's with infinitely respawning enemies. and of course this time its extra noticeable because it extends the missions
    loonlang wrote: »

I'll look next time but I haven't seen an arrow yet either, the font on the timer is also a bit small so it's difficult to read anyway.

I see the arrow now, but it's so damn tiny idk how anyone could actually think it's useful, and from some camera angles it's just a flat yellow line.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    I've only played it once, and it took me until the end of it to work out what I was supposed to do. It took the team longer than it should have I think, so I reckon I wasn't the only one. It's not 100% clear from the outset, but I consider this OK as a learning curve isn't that bad a thing in my opinion.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    And the arrow on the targeting indicator doesn't help at all - it's nearly non-existent on small ships, which is what the character I'm doing the event on flies - thankfully, I can manage to see the indicators on whichever ship I'm supposed to fly to within enough time to actually haul TRIBBLE over there.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    This is one of those queues where you get to experience the extremes - either it goes extremely well because everyone (or nearly everyone and the slack can be picked up by the others) knows what they're doing, or it becomes the biggest pain in the ash it's ever been your misfortune to suffer.

In the latter case, I really wish there was a way to GUARANTEE that you're the one who gets targeted - because if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.​​

That would be taken over by trolls to mess up games! 8)

I've never see the arrow either.
    I think Ive seen every excuse on here lol. I have yet to miss an objective due to anything being said on here and im on the highest settings you can have. Its as easy as paying attention, hell the game even verbally tells you that you have been targeted.
    mysonne1 wrote: »
    the game even verbally tells you that you have been targeted.
    When I'm doing repetitive content like this I often have game audio muted so that I can listen to a podcast or an audio book.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Despite what Som claims, the visual vomit on screen DOES IN FACT PREVENT PEOPLE FROM SEEING THEIR BLOODY SHIP. People have pics posted of it in fact. This queue in design is actually quite interesting and fun...but the visual vomit makes it's execution terrible.
    Having ran this a few times now I have changed my mind, Somtaawkhar is wrong and the problem is clearly with the TFO not the players.

It is a good TFO but there is a major problem with the circles and arrows due to either a bug or bad design by the devs. Once the arrows and circles are fixed it will be a good TFO. Just a shame if history is anything to go by it wont get fixed or will get fixed right at the end of the event when its to late.
    I must be playing something different, im usually in my science for this but am too busy flying side to side in the middle section to shorten flight times. Once my Grav wells and Rifts are out im usually turned the other way to launch at another group. Im never sitting still and therefore I see all the indicators. Must be the playstyles if you ask me.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I held off doing this queue until after I completed the episodes, and that took me longer than it usually does. So I only ran it for the first time yesterday, my daily progress has mostly been patrols because completing 2 of those is often faster than 1 Best Served Cold and usually To Hell With Honor as well.

Now that I have, I think I'm getting it. I do think the UI indicator for the arrow could be bigger so that even small ships can see it. Then again, if online videos are any indication, there's a lot of people flying very zoomed out/high FOV, so I wonder if it would even change much.

I'll make one disagreement with the comments about explaining what to do. It is all in the briefing. But as it has been said, so many people skip those, and I don't have a good solution for that. I expect that in time more people will learn from either rote trial & error or word of mouth, and you might always have a chance that people won't do things right. It's still new, and I fully expect that many people are still learning it, so I won't pass final judgment until it's been out longer. Guess that's the teacher in me.

All that said, I have one last question, and it's more of a general strategy one: is it better to keep 2 people at each of the target ships and have 1 person chase the Escaping/Repair ships, or would it be better to keep just 1 at each ship and have 3 people play "zone" to keep the Escaping/Repair Ships under control and keep the bulk of enemies in the middle? The way the timing has gone so far, it seems like maybe having more people cover and chase things loosely works out better because of when the Kri'stak and Targ are invulnerable, but I can't be sure. Does having more than 1 at a Dread speed up the timer?
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    mysonne1 wrote: »
    Its as easy as paying attention, hell the game even verbally tells you that you have been targeted.

Unfortunately, it also tells everyone in the team one teammate failed to reach the target ship on time. So if you don't fully understand the mechanics of the TFO, the rest of the team may be left wondering "what? What did I do wrong? Was I supposed to do something a few seconds ago?".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I just have to reiterate this as its been said repeatedly but some people also seem confused: The arrow/countdown is near impossible to see on small ships if you zoom out to actually be able to play the game. The difference I saw between my Maquis Raider and the Scimitar was night and day for visibility of the arrow/timer. You literally can't see it on the Raider, while its plain as day on the Scimitar.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    > @foxrockssocks said:
    > I just have to reiterate this as its been said repeatedly but some people also seem confused: The arrow/countdown is near impossible to see on small ships if you zoom out to actually be able to play the game. The difference I saw between my Maquis Raider and the Scimitar was night and day for visibility of the arrow/timer. You literally can't see it on the Raider, while its plain as day on the Scimitar.

I agree. I fly TOS ships which are generally smaller than most in STO. Combine that smaller size with all the flashing and visual effects, I can miss it when I have the arrow on me when zoomed out. I have to keep the camera zoomed in close to not miss it. But still, some of the special weapons other players use with their significant visual effects can drown it out.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    Anyone else keep having this TFO pop up time and time again on random TFO? Of the last six random TFO’s I have started, this one keeps popping up. No random. I think I am going to stop random TFO until the event is over.
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    having spent about 40 mins doing one today i thought i would suggest the mission at least progress automatically after a while.

was not able to finish until half the team had left

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Are they trolls or are they just getting burnt out by the new standardised gameplay loop adopted by cryptic of mindnumbing repetition for 20 days or more before the next cycle?

Event TFO's will be getting done by those out for the daily progress pips rather than marks. These folks by now will be sitting pretty low on the motivation having had this current one come right off the back on the last. I've noticed the past couple of days in the hell with honour one that some have been pewpewing the first spot then flying over and parking up above the final crater leaving only 2 or 3 others to do the lifting.

Not done the new one as there wasn't anything in the YoK interactive movie that made me want to see it given that the moon surface is fairly set time wise from start to end.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    This TFO has seriously made me wonder if half of STO's playerbase is deaf and colorblind.

I'd blame the beacons of Kahless that get constantly fired off in TFO's. I mean, it can't be healthy to essentially get flashbanged every several minutes.

Also, since every ship is now perma-surrounded by flashy effects in all colors of the rainbow, it might just be that players have gotten used to ignoring as much color as possible, leading to the unwelcome side-effect of not noticing markers etc.

It's more basic than that. People just want to pew pew through a run and not care about basics in a TFO since they're used to others carrying out the DPS/tasks for them.

It's not being color blind, but lazy behavior.

or, as mentioned before, the tfo objective is not explained well. I did it ONCE, could not make heads or tails of it so I just sat at aakkars ship and just unloaded on it non stop. I figure I must have gotten some damage through after i dusted off the defensive pets it had. but then again, maybe not. all I know is i slogged through 20 minutes and I can do the other TFOs in half the time. i won't do that one again
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    The more I play this the more I dislike it. The devs really need to fix the poor design of the circles and arrows. Its a shame as the overall idea is really good its just badly implanted. It would be a good event TFO if it wasn't for the arrows and circles being impossible to see at times.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I was able to get a better feel for it after queueing solo in the private menu. Took about 15 minutes, so definitely longer than with a full team of 5, but there is an advantage to it: nobody else to target. Means you can fly back and forth often enough to learn the flow and verbal and visual cues. Still got base mark reward of 120/130, I missed a BoP.

So far I'm finding the mechanic enjoyable, the rewards appropriate, and it feels epically like a final battle of the war. But I can see where getting just a few too many people who don't have it yet can really bog it down.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
    I was able to get a better feel for it after queueing solo in the private menu. Took about 15 minutes, so definitely longer than with a full team of 5, but there is an advantage to it: nobody else to target. Means you can fly back and forth often enough to learn the flow and verbal and visual cues. Still got base mark reward of 120/130, I missed a BoP.

So far I'm finding the mechanic enjoyable, the rewards appropriate, and it feels epically like a final battle of the war. But I can see where getting just a few too many people who don't have it yet can really bog it down.
    Its not just the people who don't get it yet who bog it down. I have ran into a lot of problems where even people who know what they are doing are failing due to the bad design flaws by the devs. I have missed a fair few myself not because I didn't know what to do, but from bugs and poor design. Though I still stand by and say the concept is good and the 2 runs that worked where good. The problem is the poor design that needs fixing.
This discussion has been closed.