test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Grinding for this new event set is like pulling teeth

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I'm sorry and I actually started a post about how boring I found the new episodes, but it seems like everything that you have to play over and over again for your daily progression takes AGES to finish and is utterly tiresome. The episodes are just wave after wave, but so are the PvE's. I played one today and if I were to compare it to absolutely any other queue...whether it's Ground Infected or a Azure Nebula Rescue, it took me so long. Maybe it felt longer because it was so one-dimensional, but I don't believe so. Shoot 'em up waves don't make for a good game and unless someone can tell me different, is this set even worth it? It's possibly a marketing ploy, making you play such awful missions and episodes for the daily progression that it makes you buy out, but if this set isn't worth even the daily grind, how on Earth would it be worth paying for?

I can't bear the episodes, but at least I'd only have to replace them a certain number of times if this set was a choice of episode rewards like it should be. This is the first time what should have been an episode reward has been put in the journal and it's been a disastrous mistake.

I mean, the episodes are disastrous mistakes, by making you feel like a second character and wearing out your spacebar, but this...
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I agree OP!

Hey @rattler2 couldn’t we merge this with the ec inflation thread?

Deadly boring map designs are part of the reason why peeps use their money to buy out instead of suppling the exchange with their latest lock box winnings!
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It's the same for me and I can't even say what it is. I can't muster the energy for those 20 day events, I passed on the space set as well. The 14 day ones I usually complete, but the current one is really difficult despite having a number of activities, meaning theoretically you only have to repeat an activity once or twice when you choose a different one each day.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    With the right group the new TFO is pretty fast and while I have not tested it playing the new TFO solo looks like it would be really fast compared to the alternatives like the mission or patrols.
  • millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    On PlayStation, so we don't have it yet. When you say it takes "ages" to complete daily progression, is it like Synth Wave and Best Served Cold "ages?" Because if 15-20 minutes is "ages" for you, there really isn't much that can be done to help you, other than to relax and hopefully learn to change your perspective. Change the "win condition" of the grind. When Best Served Cold's events started to feel a little repetitive, I strived to help the group get a perfect (no escapes, 100% health for all three satellites) run. Or if they were "bad" players, I would try to at least keep Gamma Satellite alive. Raising the stakes, or setting a personal achievement, makes it a lot more interactive and fun.

So yeah, whenever I have to "grind" the events for the daily progress, it's still fun... because I'm playing the game. If playing the game isn't fun for you anymore, then maybe it isn't the game for you to spend time on. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I just want people to be happy, and if an activity doesn't make you happy, please don't do it. Video games are supposed to be for fun and enjoyment. ^_^
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    On PlayStation, so we don't have it yet. When you say it takes "ages" to complete daily progression, is it like Synth Wave and Best Served Cold "ages?" Because if 15-20 minutes is "ages" for you, there really isn't much that can be done to help you, other than to relax and hopefully learn to change your perspective. Change the "win condition" of the grind. When Best Served Cold's events started to feel a little repetitive, I strived to help the group get a perfect (no escapes, 100% health for all three satellites) run. Or if they were "bad" players, I would try to at least keep Gamma Satellite alive. Raising the stakes, or setting a personal achievement, makes it a lot more interactive and fun.

So yeah, whenever I have to "grind" the events for the daily progress, it's still fun... because I'm playing the game. If playing the game isn't fun for you anymore, then maybe it isn't the game for you to spend time on. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I just want people to be happy, and if an activity doesn't make you happy, please don't do it. Video games are supposed to be for fun and enjoyment. ^_^
    Its no where near as long as Synth Wave if the team members do what is meant to be done. If the players are just flying around shooting everything paying no attention to the task then it takes forever, longer then Synth Wave. With the right group it can be done in 15min, with the wrong group you could be there over an hour. This isn't like Synth Wave where if you get bad players you just wait for the timer to hit zero. The bad players will drastically extend the time of the TFO.
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Breaking news: Grinds are boring. Coming next: Rain is wet.

Now that I've run the two missions on the three characters I care to have up to date with the plot, I've just been running Terrh on whichever two characters I feel like. It gets the task done with the minimum of fuss.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Patrols are fastest for me
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Patrols are fastest for me

What's the time for them? 5 minutes each?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited May 2021

I don't think any TFO is as long and tediously grindy feeling as Synthwave, though part of that is the Blakes 7 combat music the thing features and turning the game music off and putting something bouncier like Pretty in Stereo's Forever in a Day on in place of it helps a lot (though nothing could make that one actually good).

The first time or two I did the Remain Klingon FTFO it was a total disaster with everyone flying around and no one knew what to do besides shoot things. After a few days and people figured out what the even worse then usual "mission briefing" was trying to say (seriously, they should get monkeys to write the instructions, it would probably make more sense) it settled down into an only slightly longer than usual TFO with a refreshing lack of obvious timegates.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Because that's the entire point, it's a long slow grind that makes the metrics look better....nothing more

They don't care if you have fun...all they care about is either keeping you playing as long as possible or just opening up your wallet and buying it out
    spielman1 wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Because that's the entire point, it's a long slow grind that makes the metrics look better....nothing more

They don't care if you have fun...all they care about is either keeping you playing as long as possible or just opening up your wallet and buying it out

Nothing there issue is all that does is drive more potential customers way from the game and guess what prices go up the grind gets longer and the same result happens. They will never learn till players stop opening there wallets and paying theme to do that.

The game is pretty much ran like a gacha game...and the main point of a gacha is to shotgun out new power creep every few weeks/month and long events that you rerun over and over again.

That's exactly how STO works, and until the whales give up on the game they're all but happy to keep it like this, they only care about the hardcore...the whales open their wallets and the loyal grind grind grind
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    it seems like everything that you have to play over and over again for your daily progression takes AGES to finish

Utterly wrong. If you say "everything", you clearly did not try to play patrols yet.

it's a long slow grind

If you actually chose to do the TFO and episodes instead of substantially faster patrols, then it might appear that way when in truth, it absolutely isn't.

Not all of them take that long.. Seedea for example is faster. Very few enemies, the annoying part is that you have to wait out the red alert for 3 dialogue-popups.

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    How hard is it for people to understand "if you get targeted by the ship, fly over to the other ship to they can attack each other"

Especially when the NPCs tell you this during the mission itself.

Some of us can't SEE we've been targeted due to the extreme amount of VFX going on in the game anymore. Or at least, it's difficult as hell to focus on it.

I actually had a player today say that they don't even see the green ring around the ship they're supposed to go to. At first I was like "How can that be?" so I watched them for a bit. They never used the Y axis at all, they stayed on an even plane. And perhaps the level they play on, the green ring actually wouldn't show up for them as it's a 2D object and they'd be looking at the thin edge. Yeah, an outlier case and maybe even one of those 1 in a million type situations, but maybe it could help by making the target a sphere instead?

As for when the NPC's tell you you've been targeted, some players have the game muted. I've never understood how anyone can play that way, but they do. So having a voice over tell you something when you have no sound doesn't help.

Also, some folks simply like to troll. So I think putting a timer on the mish may not be a bad idea. If after 10-ish minutes your team still hasn't knocked out the systems on both ships, it gets done by the friendly NPC's and it moves you along.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    kayajay wrote: »
    it seems like everything that you have to play over and over again for your daily progression takes AGES to finish

Utterly wrong. If you say "everything", you clearly did not try to play patrols yet.

it's a long slow grind

If you actually chose to do the TFO and episodes instead of substantially faster patrols, then it might appear that way when in truth, it absolutely isn't.

Not all of them take that long.. Seedea for example is faster. Very few enemies, the annoying part is that you have to wait out the red alert for 3 dialogue-popups.

Except it is? You can only do that patrol once...unless you call waiting a half hour to do it again "fast"

You still have to do 80 patrols...so no, it's not really fast by any definition.
    Except it is? You can only do that patrol once...unless you call waiting a half hour to do it again "fast"

Well, I'm usually too lazy to switch toons, but you can technically do Seedea once on two toons in quick succession.

Or if you're like me you run one Seedea and one Ceron on one toon each day. Either way, it's less than 10 minutes of effort if you are quickly smoking everything left and right.
    y are actively trying to not play the TFO.
    That's like saying you turned off the UI in Skyrim, so you can't see the arrow, and refuse to use the magic spell that paints a line on the ground to tell you where to go, and are now complaining you don't know where to go.

You just described how Morrowind is played by default (except the original disc-releases came with a map that I used to find the shrines and other noteworthy landmarks).
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Except Clairvoyance doesn't work - it never did in Oldrim and they never fixed it for Special Edition.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    iamynaught wrote: »
    How hard is it for people to understand "if you get targeted by the ship, fly over to the other ship to they can attack each other"

Especially when the NPCs tell you this during the mission itself.

Some of us can't SEE we've been targeted due to the extreme amount of VFX going on in the game anymore. Or at least, it's difficult as hell to focus on it.

I actually had a player today say that they don't even see the green ring around the ship they're supposed to go to. At first I was like "How can that be?" so I watched them for a bit. They never used the Y axis at all, they stayed on an even plane. And perhaps the level they play on, the green ring actually wouldn't show up for them as it's a 2D object and they'd be looking at the thin edge. Yeah, an outlier case and maybe even one of those 1 in a million type situations, but maybe it could help by making the target a sphere instead?

As for when the NPC's tell you you've been targeted, some players have the game muted. I've never understood how anyone can play that way, but they do. So having a voice over tell you something when you have no sound doesn't help.

Also, some folks simply like to troll. So I think putting a timer on the mish may not be a bad idea. If after 10-ish minutes your team still hasn't knocked out the systems on both ships, it gets done by the friendly NPC's and it moves you along.

I have noticed that 2D ring problem, especially getting targeted immediately after the virus orbit the Targ phase. It took a while to notice that little arrow that points towards the ship you are supposed to head for in the sea of spam, but after that it became a lot easier to find the other ship. The Witch should have pointed the existence of that arrow out in the mission briefing, especially since when I mentioned it in ESD chat last night some people didn't know what I was talking about.

I sometimes have to keep the volume low when playing while others are sleeping (the computer I use is in a bedroom) so I can see why even people who do not have hearing problems might not be able to hear that the chatter is instructions instead of inane chatter like that moon TFO with J'Ula and the other idiot trading insults constantly. Also some people play their own music, and streams are notorious for not being all the same average volume.

And lastly, some people have hearing problems, like in my case it sometimes garbles spoken words in the same way that printed words do for dyslexics (it is actually a form of it) when I am not focused on what they are saying, along with some hearing damage from working light industrial for too long.

Maybe they already have that timer, even in the total chaos the first few times it did not run more than about twenty minutes or so (or didn't seem to anyway) and almost everyone was chasing the escaping BoPs and circling around shooting stuff instead of the objectives.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Then they really have no excuse but themselves because, at that point, they are actively trying to not play the TFO.

I agree, which is why I think the TFO needs a hard timer at the very least. Some people are just too stubborn for their own good, let alone others.

And eventually, this TFO will likely be put in game on a permanent basis and the last thing anyone wants is to be stuck with a PuG while RTFO'ing that won't even try.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
This discussion has been closed.