test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Qo'Nos TFO and those who Derp it

mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
With having to do endless amounts of these runs in "Random" queues, can you please, for the love of whatever you believe in add in a feature that either punts or punishes those who deliberately botch TFO objectives. Im at the point where my fingers are crossed I get targeted so I know its going to get done lol.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    This is one of those queues where you get to experience the extremes - either it goes extremely well because everyone (or nearly everyone and the slack can be picked up by the others) knows what they're doing, or it becomes the biggest pain in the ash it's ever been your misfortune to suffer.

In the latter case, I really wish there was a way to GUARANTEE that you're the one who gets targeted - because if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Id name some name son here but im sure thats frowned upon, but seriously watching people do nothing but circles auto attacking enemies is getting old lol
  • discojer2#5455 discojer2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I doubt many are trying to mess it up, it's just the mechanic is not explained in the TFO itself and sort of requires you to play the mission that also doesn't really explain it well.
  • supers#7398 supers Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    The 'Remain Klingon' TFO? Yeah... even so many days after I am surprised that so few have understood how you do it. It's one of the simplest TFOs out there, it is not hard at all to get what is going on. Even if you get turned around when you get your green circle you can just look at the carriers and see which one has the green circle around it and thus that is where you go.

I'd say on average it's me and one other that knows what we need to do, the other three just shoot "stuff". No response in team chat, no response in tell and yes being nice about it. Possibly one of the extremely rare TFOs I will not do the extra dil mission once you finish the event as it can do your head in. :/
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Ran the remain Klingon TFO once, got annoyed with it and haven't touched it since.
    Good thing i run my randoms TFO in advanced so it will not pop up.

Personally i prefer the turret fest to this newest TFO. Maybe in a month enough people will know the basics but before that time I'm not touching it with a 10-ft pole.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    This TFO has seriously made me wonder if half of STO's playerbase is deaf and colorblind.

I'd blame the beacons of Kahless that get constantly fired off in TFO's. I mean, it can't be healthy to essentially get flashbanged every several minutes.

Also, since every ship is now perma-surrounded by flashy effects in all colors of the rainbow, it might just be that players have gotten used to ignoring as much color as possible, leading to the unwelcome side-effect of not noticing markers etc.
    This TFO has seriously made me wonder if half of STO's playerbase is deaf and colorblind.

I'd blame the beacons of Kahless that get constantly fired off in TFO's. I mean, it can't be healthy to essentially get flashbanged every several minutes.

Also, since every ship is now perma-surrounded by flashy effects in all colors of the rainbow, it might just be that players have gotten used to ignoring as much color as possible, leading to the unwelcome side-effect of not noticing markers etc.

It's more basic than that. People just want to pew pew through a run and not care about basics in a TFO since they're used to others carrying out the DPS/tasks for them.

It's not being color blind, but lazy behavior.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    If you at dissatisfied with the way other players tend to a map seek out teams that play them the way you want it or just play em by yourself.

Both ways work.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I tend to agree, it can be very frustrating. In one of the ones I've run there was someone sitting right next to one of the target ships, so they regularly got targeted. But they didn't move at all. At all. I got lucky enough a few times hugging the target myself to actually get targeted so we did eventually get it done, but it took way longer than necessary.

I think I would have the game do a number of things to possibly fix that. 1) Never select same target twice. 2) If selecting a target that has failed to deliver the last time, prefer a new target. 3) Select 2-3 targets and any one of them can deliver it.

Overall I like this STF, as it is based on doing things, not just pew pew on a timer, but it needs a little idiot proofing.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    They can't make it target multiple ships - the mycelial weapon is one target only...though, I'd like to know what J'mpok did to it to make it fire a tracking pulse instead of a fixed beam - because I want that version of it on the imperial rift set...it would make it far easier to use.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I doubt many are trying to mess it up, it's just the mechanic is not explained in the TFO itself and sort of requires you to play the mission that also doesn't really explain it well.
    This is by far one of the easier TFO's .. you turn and fly to the opposite end and stop or fly through a circle. Its basic ship piloting skills 101 from the tutorial. There is even an arrow beside your ship that points you in the right direction. If people cannot figure that out at lvl 65 then maybe Candy Crush is more their style lol

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator

Uh... I've honestly had no problem with any of the effects around my ship. And I haven't seen a Bacon of Kahless go off that often for quite some time. Not since it first came out anyways. And while I have one myself, and don't mind occasionally popping it against Klingons for a mini civil war, I find myself using the Hur'q Bacon more.

And yes... I said Bacon. On purpose. B)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • testsubject228testsubject228 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    This is one of those queues where you get to experience the extremes - either it goes extremely well because everyone (or nearly everyone and the slack can be picked up by the others) knows what they're doing, or it becomes the biggest pain in the ash it's ever been your misfortune to suffer.

In the latter case, I really wish there was a way to GUARANTEE that you're the one who gets targeted - because if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.​​

This what it means to "Experience Bij" I guess..
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    New TFO = "Tzenkethi Front 2, THE REVENGE!!!"

Serriously how hard is this? TAKE THE GREEN THING TO THE GREEN THING!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    A lot of people cannot even see the "green thing" much less take one to the other. Sometimes there is so much visual spam it takes a few seconds to see the one on my ship much less one that is on the other side of the map and probably obscured by the way too opaque badlands plasma storms people keep spamming.

There is so much spam it took a few sessions to notice that yellow "spam" in the light salad near the ship and see that it is an arrow pointing to the target location. That makes it a lot easier since I don't have to look for the green circle across all the garbage and it would have been nice if the Witch had pointed it out in the so-called mission briefing.

Whether people can see in the spamfest or not probably depends on their videocard, monitor, and game settings combination.
    A lot of people cannot even see the "green thing" much less take one to the other. Sometimes there is so much visual spam it takes a few seconds to see the one on my ship much less one that is on the other side of the map and probably obscured by the way too opaque badlands plasma storms people keep spamming.

There is so much spam it took a few sessions to notice that yellow "spam" in the light salad near the ship and see that it is an arrow pointing to the target location. That makes it a lot easier since I don't have to look for the green circle across all the garbage and it would have been nice if the Witch had pointed it out in the so-called mission briefing.

Whether people can see in the spamfest or not probably depends on their videocard, monitor, and game settings combination.

I use my science for this mission but Its lower particle effects like grav well, tykens rift and singularity. The others ones are just too graphically intense for objective missions, I can understand that point
  • trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    As there is no real actual consequence for doing the TFOs incorrectly
    There is though. Significantly less mark reward payouts.
    Swarm
    • Base marks: 40 marks
    • Ships powered: 18 marks(2 marks/ship)
    • Hur'q destroyed optional: 10 marks
    • Satellites powered: 8 marks(2 marks/satellite)
    • Bonus for powering all satellites: 8 marks
    • Hur'q dred optional: 2 marks
    • Transports saved: 18 marks(1 mark/transport)
    Total = 104 marks

Battle at the Binary Stars
    • Base marks: 30 marks
    • Shenzhou health: 30 marks(10 marks/tier)
    • Escape pods: 30 marks(10 marks/tier)
    • Klingon ships destroyed: 30 marks(10 marks/tier)
    Total = 120 marks

Best Served Cold
    • Transports captured: 80 marks(4 marks/transport)
    • No transports escape optional: ?
    • Station health: 60 marks(sliding scale based on how damaged stations are)
    • 30 marks I can't explain
    Total = 200 marks

Mycelial Realm(normal only)
    • Base marks: 15 marks
    • Islands cleared before timer: 20 marks(5 marks/island)
    • Elachi Biofoam stopped: 5 marks
    Total = 40 marks

Operation Riposte
    • Zenith stations captured: 30 marks(10 marks/station)
    • Troop transports finished: 18 marks(2 marks/transport)
    • Less then 3 transports lost optional: 20 marks
    • Klingon transports captured: 20 marks(2 marks/transport)
    • Let no transport escape optional: 20 marks
    Total = 138 marks

Pahvo Dissension
    • Crystal regions purified: 45 marks(15 marks/region)
    • Terran Captains defeated: 40 marks(20 marks/captain)
    • Root optional: 20 marks
    Total = 120 marks

Peril over Pahvo
    • Base marks: 20 marks
    • Generators protected: 40 marks
    • Dreds destroyed: 4 marks/dred
    Total = Variable. 108 marks at 12 dreds

Remain Klingon(normal only)
    • Target optional: 30 marks
    • Repair ships optional: 30 marks
    • Escaping Birds-of-Prey optional: 30 marks
    Total = 130 marks

To Hell With Honor
    • Lukara retreated: 10 marks/retreat
    • Ships destroyed: 56 marks(1 mark/frigate, 2 marks/cruiser, 3 marks/battleship)
    • Ships escaped bonus: 30 marks
    • Rifts closed bonus: 30 marks
    Total = 156+ marks

Synth Wave
    • Transports: 132 marks(2 marks/transport)
    • Battleships: 15 marks(3 marks/battleship)
    • Cruisers: 20 marks(2 marks/cruiser)
    • Frigates: 15 marks(1 mark/frigate)
    Total = 182 marks
    You can get anywhere from under 1/2, to 1/3, to 1/5, to zero marks depending on how badly you do in some of these TFOs.

Yeah well those doing it bad on purpose don't actually care about marks; they just want credit towards completing the event.

Unless they change it so you don't get your daily event credit, those decreased mark amounts you just quoted are a meaningless penalty.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    spielman1 wrote: »
    As there is no real actual consequence for doing the TFOs incorrectly
    There is though. Significantly less mark reward payouts.
    Swarm
    • Ships powered: 18 marks(2 marks/ship)
    • Hur'q destroyed optional: 10 marks
    • Satellites powered: 8 marks(2 marks/satellite)
    • Bonus for powering all satellites: 8 marks
    • Hur'q dred optional: 2 marks
    • Transports saved: 18 marks(1 mark/transport)
    Total = 104 marks

Battle at the Binary Stars
    • Shenzhou health: 30 marks(10 marks/tier)
    • Escape pods: 30 marks(10 marks/tier)
    • Klingon ships destroyed: 30 marks(10 marks/tier)
    Total = 120 marks

Best Served Cold
    • Transports captured: 80 marks(4 marks/transport)
    • No transports escape optional: ?
    • Station health: 60 marks(sliding scale based on how damaged stations are)
    • 30 marks I can't explain
    Total = 200 marks

Mycelial Realm(normal only)
    • Islands cleared before timer: 20 marks(5 marks/island)
    • Elachi Biofoam stopped: 5 marks
    Total = 40 marks

Operation Riposte
    • Zenith stations captured: 30 marks(10 marks/station)
    • Troop transports finished: 18 marks(2 marks/transport)
    • Less then 3 transports lost optional: 20 marks
    • Klingon transports captured: 20 marks(2 marks/transport)
    • Let no transport escape optional: 20 marks
    Total = 138 marks

Pahvo Dissension
    • Crystal regions purified: 45 marks(15 marks/region)
    • Terran Captains defeated: 40 marks(20 marks/captain)
    • Root optional: 20 marks
    Total = 120 marks

Peril over Pahvo
    • Base marks: 20 marks
    • Generators protected: 40 marks
    • Dreds destroyed: 4 marks/dred
    Total = Variable. 108 marks at 12 dreds

Remain Klingon(normal only)
    • Target optional: 30 marks
    • Repair ships optional: 30 marks
    • Escaping Birds-of-Prey optional: 30 marks
    Total = 130 marks

To Hell With Honor
    • Lukara retreated: 10 marks/retreat
    • Ships destroyed: 56 marks(1 mark/frigate, 2 marks/cruiser, 3 marks/battleship)
    • Ships escaped bonus: 30 marks
    • Rifts closed bonus: 30 marks
    Total = 156+ marks

Synth Wave
    • Transports: 132 marks(2 marks/transport)
    • Battleships: 15 marks(3 marks/battleship)
    • Cruisers: 20 marks(2 marks/cruiser)
    • Frigates: 15 marks(1 mark/frigate)
    Total = 182 marks
    You can get anywhere from under 1/2, to 1/3, to 1/5, to zero marks depending on how badly you do in some of these TFOs.

Yeah well those doing it bad on purpose don't actually care about marks; they just want credit towards completing the event.

Unless they change it so you don't get your daily event credit, those decreased mark amounts you just quoted are a meaningless penalty.

People doing bad on purpose and doing the FTFO to troll have probably already done it and gotten their daily credit and are just getting their jollies keeping others from getting the rewards (or as many rewards) including advancement if that was being withheld as a penalty. So denying progress like you suggest would tend to increase trolling, not reduce it.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I'm gonna be honest, until my latest run I COMPLETELY misunderstood how this queue worked. I thought only the Kristak would target you, and when you were targeted you had to go to the Targ, so that's what I always did, infact I never noticed before that the circles around one of the ships turns green when you're targeted. So I definitely caused some of my early runs to go longer than necessary.

Now that I DO understand it though, I have a few issues for the Devs. First, if you have a bunch of science captains in the run it can be IMPOSSIBLE at times to see where the hell either ship is due to all the obnoxious ability spam blocking absolutely EVERYTHING from view.

Second, there should be a brief cooldown after getting targeted by one ship so that you can't get targeted by the other right after. If for example I'm over at the Kristak and it targets me, I gotta pop evasive to make it over to the Targ in time, possibly something else as well if I'm flying a slow ship. If the Targ then targets me right after then I have no way to get back to the Kristak in time because all my mobility buttons are on cooldown. I know the prevailing engines would solve that but I don't like zooming across the map every single time I hit one of my firing mode or healing abilities.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    So denying progress like you suggest...

I'm not really saying they should actually do it. But my point remains that if someone only cares about getting their daily event credit, then the reduced marks reward that somtaawkhar mentioned is a completely meaningless penalty.

So unless they were willing to actually with-hold the daily credit (again just if, not they should) then there is nothing the devs can do that really penalizes the people not trying who only want the daily credit.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    The best thing would be to change the mission briefing so that it tells players what they're supposed to do.
    Q9BWcdD.png
    lopequil wrote: »
    The best thing would be to change the mission briefing so that it tells players what they're supposed to do.

I estimate more than 95% of all players skip through the lengthy briefings so what would be the point?

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I ran through it in my Maquis raider yesterday and I noticed something of a problem. The target on your ship is scales to the size of your ship. Thus, I could not see any arrow or timer unlike when I ran my Scimitar through because I can't functionally play if it is zoomed in far enough on the raider to see it.

As well, the plasma storm console makes it a little hard to see anything which is a little important in a STF based on being in precise spots. Luckily I was usually able to target it away from the capital ships themselves.

Also a problem now that I think about it is that the target is green. Green is not used as a color that suggests a problem or action needed. People getting a weird green circle around their ship may reasonably assume its a buff from another teammate. Getting targeted really needs to be red instead, with the same green circle around the place you need to go as green is "safe."
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    I did Remain Klingon maybe 3 times. The first couple of times, visual effects were turned off (Why? Dunno, something about the last patch.), so naturally, I didn't see any circles. I'm pretty sure I did it once with effects on, after I figured out how to reenable effects, but I don't remember seeing any green circles at all. I'd occasionally see a red targeting circle on a ship, but it was nowhere near me, and surrounded by ships, so firing on it (or even getting to it) was a matter of luck. My only contribution, other than beam spam, was targeting the cloaking devices.
    I don't do that mission any more. I've done both of the episodes, some TFOs, and the one with the explodey dilithium haulers instead. At least I know what I'm doing in those.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    I did Remain Klingon maybe 3 times. The first couple of times, visual effects were turned off (Why? Dunno, something about the last patch.), so naturally, I didn't see any circles. I'm pretty sure I did it once with effects on, after I figured out how to reenable effects, but I don't remember seeing any green circles at all. I'd occasionally see a red targeting circle on a ship, but it was nowhere near me, and surrounded by ships, so firing on it (or even getting to it) was a matter of luck. My only contribution, other than beam spam, was targeting the cloaking devices.
    I don't do that mission any more. I've done both of the episodes, some TFOs, and the one with the explodey dilithium haulers instead. At least I know what I'm doing in those.

Both ships have a red circle around them normally. Occasionally one of the ships will target you with their primary weapon and you'll get a green target reticle over your ship, when this happens one of the red circles will turn green and you need to fly to that ship so that the weapon hits it instead of you. When the Kristak gets hit by one of these weapons it makes the cloaking system targetable, when the Targ gets hit by one the circle around it turns purple for a little while and if you stay in the purple circle you'll upload a virus to it. Once the cloaking device and virus have been completed 5 or 6 times each (I forget the exact number) both ships become vulnerable so you can blow them up.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Both ships have a red circle around them normally. Occasionally one of the ships will target you with their primary weapon and you'll get a green target reticle over your ship, when this happens one of the red circles will turn green and you need to fly to that ship so that the weapon hits it instead of you.

I've only seen one ship with a red circle. That could be one of the issues people are having with the mission.
This discussion has been closed.