test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What should the next story arc be about?

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Dixon Hill is a novel series set around 1941. The Kentari homeworld is a far future cyberpunk city. They are two entirely different aesthetics.

You know, that actually gives me a really interesting idea. In RL they are always rebooting old franchises and 'modernizing' them (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). But anyway, imagine if within the Trek universe some Barclay-esque officer decided to 'reboot' the Dixon Hill series to give it a more contemporary aesthetic? I'm imagining something like noir-cyberpunk; maybe even in black and white? Hey IDK, but it's an interesting idea. And might make it more likely to happen if they are able to use some of their more contemporary assets.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    Thought the Kentari world was in the 'cyberpunk' genre but 'film noir' also works.

They'd have to lose the neon displays dotted around, and change some of the doors, but other than that, the buildings would fit right in.
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    something completely new. Of Cryptic's own design. Something mysterious. something that requires a build up. Something to get players intrigued and trying to figure stuff out. We need something new, not a rehash of something that already exists. maybe another Global event that coincides with the new story.

idk we just need something original i think.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    How about an arc based around the Holodeck that ends up filled with Rogue Holograms, almost every star trek show has a rogue Hologram episode, I think a detective novel featuring Gangster Spock, as our sidekick, Cryptic can take bits and pieces from his lines even some from the shows while the rogue hologram villain can be based on Tovan Khev but with the personality of Agent Smith and his army of Tovan clones, also make Holo Madran his right hand.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    How about an arc based around the Holodeck that ends up filled with Rogue Holograms, almost every star trek show has a rogue Hologram episode, I think a detective novel featuring Gangster Spock, as our sidekick, Cryptic can take bits and pieces from his lines even some from the shows while the rogue hologram villain can be based on Tovan Khev but with the personality of Agent Smith and his army of Tovan clones, also make Holo Madran his right hand.

I bet Daniel Davis would cameo. Fintan probably would too and a LOT of others. Holo-Seska would be great and again, It. Would. Just. Be. FUN! I miss fun in the play, because it really is all just so miserable these days.
  • mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    The return of Benjamin Sisko ...
    mysonne1 wrote: »
    The return of Benjamin Sisko ...

I know that they're already had "Sisko" in an episode, but Avery would NEVER cameo. Something's going on with the Prophets in Picard, but I can't call what...
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Cryptic sort of confirmed a return to finishing their Mirror Universe Invasion Arc that they started with Mirror Leeta, so that one is a likely given.

Beyond that is anyone's guess, though going by Cryptic's past statements, it'll probably be incorporating story elements from Discovery (and possibly Picard) that would fit within the general game's timeline, since they're working directly with CBS' writers to keep it as canon to all the current and upcoming series as possible.

They did also mention incorporating elements of LD, but it wouldn't be the focus either.

What I would like personally is revisiting New Romulus and seeing some actual progress; may a fully operational Operations/Reception Center with access to the Normal Embassy, Fleet Embassy, and ESD-like conveniences. One that would appear only to players who've completed (or skipped) the New Romulus Arc and could serve as another hub. Maybe tackle elements of the fragmented Romulan Empire from Picard, while also using the opportunity to make the whole Romulan Arc better fit with Picard's depiction of the fragmented Romulans.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Just about anything different has to be better than what we have been focusing on in recent years. I would love more Delta Quadrant development, or perhaps something completely unique to STO?

Cirran
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    Assuming Cryptic doesn't go with the Mirror Leeta plot they originally had planed for after ViL, what would you like the next story arc to be about?

I'm always so curious as to how these rumors start. Where did this one come from? :)
    Assuming Cryptic doesn't go with the Mirror Leeta plot they originally had planed for after ViL, what would you like the next story arc to be about?

I'm always so curious as to how these rumors start. Where did this one come from? :)

Where every rumor starts: Gecko says random things :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Perhaps exploring new parts of the galaxy...maybe even think about something to do with Andromeda. Anything but another 2-3 years on primitive Klingons that have suddenly become the good guys because Cryptic writing has been trash since they started working with NuTrek writers who's writing has been trash since episode 1 of Discovery
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    As far as what I'd want to see now that the klingon civil war is over is a low intensity arc, just our character doing low stakes missions (they don't even have to be related to each in other way then "routine low stakes mission"), so that when the next big threat hits it would feel grander as we've had a taste of "normal state of things" rather then going from on galaxy ending threat to another.

You can even have fights in those missions, it's just that the threat would be localized and not a "we must stop this or all life as we know it will end" threat.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    gonalius wrote: »
    Deal with the loose end that is Leeta, then I'd like a combat-light arc. Do three or four episodes focussed on exploration or say (re)building Qo'nos, New Romulus and the like. Maybe use that to also set up the next antagonist, rather than you meet them and five minutes later you're in the centre of a galactic conflict.

That said, I expect we'll soon be involved up to our eyeballs in something related to Picard, Discovery or Strange New Worlds...

I would like to point out that one of these much-requested 'combat-light' episodes in the game is also one that most people greatly dislike: Dust to Dust. The point being, be careful what you wish for.

Dust to Dust isnt bad because of plot, it is bad because of bad, unpopular mechanics like the jumping nonsense (which IS a combat schtick of sorts anyway) and the boring maze.

In my case, I think the idea for the episode is very good otherwise and I liked the overall plot premise, but the mechanics of the jumping part is almost impossible with the kind of latency thrash that is all too common on a cable TV based ISP with its "party line" like setup. People in the neighborhood starting downloads and streaming and whatnot can really send latency bouncing, which regular combats handle well enough because of the automatic setting for ships weapons and whatnot.

I would not mind more missions like Dust to Dust if they would pay attention to the practicality of the mechanics they use. Spectres is an excellent example of that kind of largely puzzle-based scenario done right (though it unfortunately had that bug in the McCoy section that used to derail the mission and make it incompletable without restarting that section which turned a lot of people off about the episode, but they finally fixed it).

Some missions or arcs I would like to see would be ones involving the Orions, especially something centered on the Orion Free Trade Association worlds instead of just the Syndicate ones that are allied with the KDF. The end of the Klingon civil war set up a great opportunity for that along with Gorn based episodes as the ramifications ripple outwards to to their old allies and janissaries.

An idea in the Alpha quadrant could be that Modran got tired of being the comic relief and organizes an anti-reformation underground that kicks off a (hopefully rather short, if you pardon the pun) Ferengi civil war that disturbs the trade balance of the sectors so much that it kicks off other conflicts, like causing OFTA/Syndicate rivalries to erupt into violence and kicks First Federation paranoia into high gear.

Speaking of the First Federation, they could have some sort of problem that has led to their paranoid fortress mentality but has recently grown too big for them to handle alone anymore. Considering all the very small characters running around, the Fesarians (and possibly other First Federation races their size) are actually rather popular, especially since all we ever saw of them in the shows was one pudgy, bald, middle-aged (and rather wily) captain and one cluster ship that turns out to have probably been more of an automated freighter with just a single live captain than an actual warship.

A First Federation arc (or event) could bring some exotic radiation weapons and/or consoles to the game (and those seem to be rather popular at the moment anyway). They could even break out a new sector map connected to the cordoned off zone if they were feeling frisky (in TOS the First Federation was a rather sizable multi-starsystem government, Balok was towing the Enterprise to one of their frontier worlds they apparently used as a prison planet or sort of free-range concentration camp) though that would probably be overkill considering how severely underutilized the Gamma quadrant is already.

Speaking of which, I am sure that the worlds panicked into joining the Dominion by the Hurq protection scam were not at all happy to find out that they were played for fools which would realistically have kicked their undergrounds into high gear and probably caused them to unite to some degree with each other, and maybe even caused some of their official governments to secede from the Dominion while it was at its weakest point ever. There is a lot of possibility there, from large scale traditional rebellions down to the rise of terrorist organizations that need to be hunted down and stamped out.

I doubt if anything like those Alpha, Gamma, or First Federation plots would be done though it would be great if they did.

On the other hand, there are other possibilities, like the assimilated faux-T'ket that the Excalbians inadvertently unleashed, after all, why should that Borg queen be any less able to make back doors to escape destruction than the original one? With all the Borg ships she had in that final battle it is quite reasonable that she could have had a stealthy one parked somewhere with the equipment to upload to and reproduce herself if things went south.

The real Iconians may not be amused when they find out about the Borg faux-T'ket, especially if she starts nibbling at the edges of their forces with assimilations to build up her own. With the typical Iconian arrogance they could demand that the Alliance remove that insult that "they created" (lumping the Excalbians with everyone else) before their patience runs out or face the consequences.

It would be a great way to get more use out of the Iconian War assets, and could bring in interesting hybrid Borg ships like a dipyramid with Vomph style outriggers which would be perfect for the Borg Cooperative (and others) to capture and use (if the Cooperative ever becomes a playable quasifaction) that would avoid the facing confusion problem that makes the traditional spheres, cubes, and whatnot unplayable.

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    Maybe more stuff with TOS please, My 23rd Vulcan Science Officer would like to return to his time period and deal with Harry Mudd, he's clearly a better business man than that Ferengi Madran.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2021
    I know the next ARC is apparently Federation based, and many speculate it will include (some) Mirror elements as Leetah story was anticipated to end. Hence the CM question above. Still I'm looking forward to a bit more Federation story, and yet I'd be fine if it left out the Mirror in 50-75% of it.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Perhaps exploring new parts of the galaxy...maybe even think about something to do with Andromeda.

This would also excite me, as would visiting several species in the Gamma, or Alpha Quadrants we've still never really been introduced to.

While I've never been a fan of the Mirror Universe, I really liked how they did the Cardassian Arc where we visited Mirror Bajor in one episode. Thought I'm far excited to get back to a bit more Federation themed update or story, just hope it's story isn't all Mirror based though.

I really am hoping with Picard Season 2 we'll again see a bit more focus on the Rebuilding or trying to help the Romulans a bit more. It also be nice if that inspired a few updated Romulan missions as well at some point.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    You know, I've kept a 22nd Century character in the past. I've been levelling her by replaying those three missions, because I just don't want to leave! I love being on the old space dock and I don't want to accept the mission that takes me to present day.

It wasn't my favourite episode, but I'd rather Empress Sato was flying around in the Defiant and her people in backwards engineered Constitutions, rather than a present day Mirror arc.

Is it so wrong to want the coolness of TOS?
    kayajay wrote: »
    You know, I've kept a 22nd Century character in the past. I've been levelling her by replaying those three missions, because I just don't want to leave! I love being on the old space dock and I don't want to accept the mission that takes me to present day.

It wasn't my favourite episode, but I'd rather Empress Sato was flying around in the Defiant and her people in backwards engineered Constitutions, rather than a present day Mirror arc.

I feel the same way for the most part, but I cannot keep doing those same missions over and over so I usually end up moving on. I wish they would do more TOS episodes but I know they wont except for maybe one to go with the AoY recruitment at most.
    kayajay wrote: »

I feel the same way for the most part, but I cannot keep doing those same missions over and over so I usually end up moving on. I wish they would do more TOS episodes but I know they wont except for maybe one to go with the AoY recruitment at most.

I haven't logged in in a while. I thought I'd take a break, then go back to it. I'm determined to get her up to 65 though! I have NO idea what I'll do then, but I just don't want to lose that part that I can't go back to.
  • sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    They should do an extragalactic invasion with organic ships...oh wait Species 8472 is Star Trek's Yuuzhan Vong...oh ok. What about a completly mechanical enemy then, with terminator-style bots.
    sierra078 wrote: »
    They should do an extragalactic invasion with organic ships...oh wait Species 8472 is Star Trek's Yuuzhan Vong...oh ok. What about a completly mechanical enemy then, with terminator-style bots.

Why couldn't that have been a two-parter? Species 8472 declaring war on the Federation...

Making peace was far too easy and it should have been Tuvok (and it would have worked with Kes) as a telepath flying one of the bio-ships to stop them.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Probably the Temporal War
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    What about a completly mechanical enemy then, with terminator-style bots.
    So the Ancient Synth Empire from Picard then?

Or, one of Star Trek's greatest creations...the Borg.

Yeah, that would be great actually. That one scene of the robot octopus was the most interesting part of the entire story to me. If CBS doesn't actually have any plans to follow up on that it would be great if Cryptic was allowed to :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Yeah, that would be great actually. That one scene of the robot octopus was the most interesting part of the entire story to me. If CBS doesn't actually have any plans to follow up on that it would be great if Cryptic was allowed to :)

I doubt if they could do the space squid for a while, it is busy doing a gig for Mass Effect at the moment...
This discussion has been closed.