test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update ate a character slot

Comments

• brothabennybrothabenny Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I'm also missing my single available character slot I had on a completely F2P account. It was there yesterday with the different faction options, today it's just a grey box with an option to purchase slots.

That account is NOT LTS, nor has it ever had an active subscription. So this issue is definitely not unique to Lifetime/Sub accounts.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Someone in my Reddit thread just mentioned that they deleted a toon to make room for a new Ferasan, but after deleting a character they still did not have a character slot available. So it seems unlikely that anyone actually lost a character, but if you were already at max and delete one now you might not be able to use that slot again until the issue gets fixed.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I did not lose any characters, but pre-update I had 5 available character slots, and now I have 4. So, I have lost one also...

For information: LTS since about 2014...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Someone in my Reddit thread just mentioned that they deleted a toon to make room for a new Ferasan, but after deleting a character they still did not have a character slot available. So it seems unlikely that anyone actually lost a character, but if you were already at max and delete one now you might not be able to use that slot again until the issue gets fixed.

So I guess the good news is people won't lose existing characters over this.

The bad news, of course, is that even if you have characters in all slots, you still lost one of those slots, you just have no way of knowing that without sacrificing a captain.

I hope whatever solution they find fixes it for everyone whether they know they were affected or not.
    So Kael isn't going to be discussing game issues during the current Livestream due to having guests, however he did confirm in chat that the devs are looking into it:

2UaDzMl.jpg
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    That's good to know... Thanks @evilmark444 ... I never get to the live stream, so I appreciate your post...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    To answer all questions at once here, there's plenty of occasions where folks may take screenshots or video of their screens such as youtube, or simply showing off to their friends. I had also thought about the odd numbers of character slots, but as another pointed out there's the possibility of someone having a slot that was given for free.

I can tell you guys I passed a bit up the chain to them that they may be able to use to get a look at the issue using my account as an example. Since I try to help them catch bugs and fix them, I had purchased a 4 pack of character slots to help test the tutorial issues during the last Delta Recruit re-run. I kept 2 of the toons I created which should have left me with 2 slots left, but I'm only at one. I wouldn't ordinarily tell this kind of thing, but since it's me volunteering info about myself I see no harm in it this time. They're working on this one folks, that I can assure you.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    I also remember I had 1 character slot available, cause I know I had 2 previously before I created my 2nd Delta Recruit last month or so.

Anyways off to go watch the Livestream now.
    0zxlclk.png
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I think it's the slot that was given during the Klingon Recruit Event that as deleted.

I wish I took a screenshot before the patch, but then again I didn't have any issues with character select screen pre-patch.
  • kyril999kyril999 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Just adding to say that I also lost a character slot, and am a lifer (in case that matters).
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

This made me think that this issue affects the entire playerbase but only people with one (or more) character slot available noticed it but, and this sounds strange, I've got a fleetmate that not only didn't lose any slot, but was awarded two more: he went from 3 to 5.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    edited May 2021

This made me think that this issue affects the entire playerbase but only people with one (or more) character slot available noticed it but, and this sounds strange, I've got a fleetmate that not only didn't lose any slot, but was awarded two more: he went from 3 to 5.

So it isn't a bug...it is theft!! Tell him to give those slots back! :p
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    This is a weird one, but is certainly not intentional. We're taking a look.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    tagen wrote: »

So it isn't a bug...it is theft!! Tell him to give those slots back! :p

That's exactly what we told him! He went all "noooo, they're mine... alllll miiiiiiine" *cue gollum's evil laughter" :D
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    It's a good thing I'm not paranoid, or I might have thought they sneakily deleted one character slot, just when they happened to give away a freebie furry toon, hoping you wouldn't notice, think you just ran out, and will just quickly buy an extra character slot.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Basically this means anyone who plays KDF or did not make a temporal recruitment character have had the slot yanked from them for when they redo it again which is probably fairly soon or after the risa event.
    edited May 2021
    Basically this means anyone who plays KDF or did not make a temporal recruitment character have had the slot yanked from them for when they redo it again which is probably fairly soon or after the risa event.

I don't follow. What do playing KDF or not making a Temporal Recruit have to do with losing a character slot?

I thought we were on to something with the lifetime or past subbed accounts, but some have said even their free account lost a slot, so who knows.

I just hope Cryptic can find the cause, repair the damage, and fix things so it won't happen again.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    It's been confirmed that there will be more recruit events this year, and Temporal is next. The question is before or after Risa at this point.

I think the phrasing above is saying anyone who doesn't already have a Temporal Recruit and is tight on slots would be in trouble if they wanted one, and the KDF comment is probably presuming people rolled a new Ferasan after the recent giveaway.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • carly2013carly2013 Member Posts: 6 Arc User

It really is. Thank you for taking a look at it. Regarding proof as a picture, or similar - in my case it is as follows according to my memory (joined in 02/28/13):

I have 15 character slots available on a regular basis. 14 of them are taken. Three I got as an F2P player, another four when I became LTS on 04/06/13, an eighth character slot was added through the Elite Starter Pack from the Z-Store. Another seven characters are created recruits that we players got extra character slots for - one each for the time agent and Klingon recruit, twice for the gamma recruits, and three times for the deltas.

I'm sure I saw all the faction icons, including a free character slot, in the character selector an hour before the patch, after claiming the playable Ferasan, because I was wondering when I'd buy the first extra character slots to add the playable Caitan and create my still-waiting playable Federation Klingon.

For me, this bug is more due to the patch than the giveaway (thanks for that], and that a bug is to be found there. This information should be verifiable for you and maybe help to find out and fix the bug without a picture proof. Thank you in advance

LLAP
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

Good. Would really be a new low if it WAS intentional. Just hope ppl didn't lose an actual toon over it: that would be disastrous.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Good. Would really be a new low if it WAS intentional. Just hope ppl didn't lose an actual toon over it: that would be disastrous.

From what at least one other person has said, you won't lose a character if you are at your character limit and were affected by this. If you delete one, however, that slot might not be there to create a new one.

If true, hopefully the fix they come up with covers this case, too. There is not really a way to test whether you were affected and I would not want to have someone delete a character months from now and then not have that slot.
    Has there been any word on troubleshooting progress for this issue? Thanks.

We don't usually hear any updates over the weekend as the devs are probably off, and with today being a holiday they may not be working today either. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until tomorrow at the earliest, or possibly Wednesday night either during the livestream or when the patch notes get posted.
    eaY7Xxu.png

We don't usually hear any updates over the weekend as the devs are probably off, and with today being a holiday they may not be working today either. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until tomorrow at the earliest, or possibly Wednesday night either during the livestream or when the patch notes get posted.

Gotcha. Thanks. With All the various social medias I don't follow, I just wanted to make sure I did not miss an update. And I did not take the long holiday weekend into account.
  • rangeramongyourangeramongyou Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I'd heard about this happening, and I wish I'd read this thread before, as I just deleted a lowbie toon (Paxton) in order to re-do, only to find I don't have a spare slot. Lifer, but I'm hearing that it's hit people without LT accounts as well.
    I'd heard about this happening, and I wish I'd read this thread before, as I just deleted a lowbie toon (Paxton) in order to re-do, only to find I don't have a spare slot. Lifer, but I'm hearing that it's hit people without LT accounts as well.

Yeah, I have tried to warn as many players as I can, but it is hard when Cryptic doesn't put out much information. At least they did acknowledge this happened and that they are working on it. I hope they say something more on it this week.
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Can just see cryptic saying "Its the players computers, which are the culprit for losing toon slots" lol
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
This discussion has been closed.