test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update ate a character slot

aoviiaovii Member Posts: 10 Arc User
This update just ate my last character slot. Before the patch i had one free slot to create a character but now it tells me that i'm maxed out and need to buy some if i want to create a new toon. Am i the only one with this problem or did anyone else lose a slot during the downtime?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• williamknight50williamknight50 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    You are not, this happened to me too.
    Original name before the merge Ice_Knight. Join Date 7/29/08
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I wonder if anyone has lost a character due to this, I have so many characters that I haven't yet been able to notice one missing.
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I came here to see if I was the only one.

Apparently not.

I guess we with "the last one" notice, because there's none available and it's visible. I wonder if those who had more also lost one, just haven't noticed yet.
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    update ate all my charaters :D , there is just no way I could get to charater selection.
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • dragon200052dragon200052 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Yeah Im pretty sure i had at least 1 or 2 character slots left but when logging in this update Apparently I had none so I have no clue what happened or why or if im just going insane.
  • tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Same here. Lost one.
  • vicormavicorma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I had 2 character slot, now 1.
    Hera%20squad%20logo1a.png
  • kabilarkabilar Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Here the same, gone from 1 slot to 0

It's the 'Year of the bugs' ?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    My main acct still has 4 open slots, not sure how many it had before the update. Haven't checked my F2P yet.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I too have lost a slot, yesterday I definitely had one available because I briefly used it to play around with Ferasan in the character creator (did not actually create any characters though), and today it says all my character slots are filled. My guess is they accidentally removed one of the free slots they've given out over the years for recruitment events and new factions.

Edit: I've posted a link to this thread on both Reddit and Twitter with Kael mentioned in both, hopefully that gets his attention so this can get fixed asap, especially since character slots are something people paid for.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Just confirmed this on my account.

Luckily, I keep a spreadsheet* that lists all my characters, inventory slots, ship slots, purchases, etc and I included the number of open character slots I had. Was 3, is now showing only 2.

*(I advise everyone do this. Cryptic/STO provides no manner of receipt for any of your purchases made with ZEN or from giveaways, so if/when a bug eats something, you need to rely on them having a good record of what you had, being able to tell the game ate it, and being willing/able to replace it somehow.)

Edit: Checked on my 2nd account (non-lifetime) and I don't think it is missing a slot. Will have to do more checking, but...

Question for everyone here:
    Are the accounts that are missing a character slot lifetime?
    tagen wrote: »

Mine is, does lifetime include an extra character slot? If so I actually had no idea, lol, got my lifetime sub when the game was in beta because I wanted Liberated Borg and because it was a better price over time than paying the old monthly sub was.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I only had time to pop in and check one of my two accounts, but the open slot I have is still there. It is an F2P account (both are F2P actually).
  • aoviiaovii Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    No, my affected account has a 200 days veteran status.
    aovii wrote: »

Darn. Thanks for the info.

After noticing one of my accounts was missing the slot and the other might not be, I was hoping to find the common thread on affected accounts. If it is random, this might be a pain in the rear to a) convince Cryptic it is happening and b) get fixed.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    aovii wrote: »

Darn. Thanks for the info.

After noticing one of my accounts was missing the slot and the other might not be, I was hoping to find the common thread on affected accounts. If it is random, this might be a pain in the rear to a) convince Cryptic it is happening and b) get fixed.

If few or none are missing from regular F2P accounts it could still be something to do with lifer and vet accounts (which were different from the F2P ones because of having been subscribed for so long).
  • arisvakhbaarisvakhba Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Yeah, same here. Very annoying as I intentionally left one free for the eventual Temporal Recruitment rerun.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,697 Community Moderator
    Some others of the crew have fired reports up the chain and the team should be aware of it by now. Do any of you have screenshots, video, or anything at all that can demonstrate you guys are missing a character slot? Example being a screenshot showing your character slots before the patch, and again after? This will be used to help verify how many slots the account is supposed to have in addition to what they may be seeing on their end. I'm in the same boat as you guys as I should have 2 open slots but I only have one, however I don't have anything that can demonstrate it. If any of you guys have anything that can demonstrate the difference and are cool with the team checking some of the stuff behind the scenes, I will pass it up the chain so they can hopefully get this fixed soon.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    Some others of the crew have fired reports up the chain and the team should be aware of it by now. Do any of you have screenshots, video, or anything at all that can demonstrate you guys are missing a character slot? Example being a screenshot showing your character slots before the patch, and again after? This will be used to help verify how many slots the account is supposed to have in addition to what they may be seeing on their end. I'm in the same boat as you guys as I should have 2 open slots but I only have one, however I don't have anything that can demonstrate it. If any of you guys have anything that can demonstrate the difference and are cool with the team checking some of the stuff behind the scenes, I will pass it up the chain so they can hopefully get this fixed soon.

I wish I had some kind of proof to provide. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been keeping a spreadsheet of purchases and inventory slots in case anything goes wrong, but I'm not sure any of it would constitute "proof". I guess after this I need to be even more paranoid and find a way to gather even more information about things on my account that might one day vanish in a puff of code.

Not that it would 100% have helped in the case of the missing character slots, but this is why I really wish we had some kind of receipt for purchases we make in the ZEN store. If you buy something today and it vanishes from your account tomorrow, there is nothing on the customer side to really prove it was ever there at all.

Thanks for getting the reports in front of the people who need to see them. I am hoping with many players noticing the same problem here, someone will be able to tell what happened and reverse it. At the moment, though, that is all I have. Hope.
  • carly2013carly2013 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Well, then I join the chain of those who miss a character slot after the patch from May 25. Unfortunately, I also have no proof by picture or the like. The silver account still has its three free slots available, but my LTA account has been stripped of the last free slot. I sent a ticket for this yesterday.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Also missing a slot. I know for a fact I had 1 left because I was saving that slot for Temporal Recruitment, as its the one I haven't done yet.
  • minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Example being a screenshot showing your character slots before the patch, and again after?

can you give us an example of a situation where someone takes a screenshot before the patch?
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Also down 1 slot. Pretty obvious this is widespread. The good news is it's easy enough to just give an extra 1 (they do it any time there is a recruitment event anyway). Hopefully it won't take too long.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Also down 1 slot. Pretty obvious this is widespread. The good news is it's easy enough to just give an extra 1 (they do it any time there is a recruitment event anyway). Hopefully it won't take too long.

Some people have said they did not lose a slot, if this is indeed true then Cryptic will probably want to find the actual cause so that they only give slots back to those who were affected.
    minidari wrote: »
    Example being a screenshot showing your character slots before the patch, and again after?

can you give us an example of a situation where someone takes a screenshot before the patch?

Streamers and YouTubers might have video of it if they showed the character select screen while streaming / recording, otherwise I doubt anyone would ever take a screenshot of that. Might be something to start doing now though incase this happens again.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    westmetals wrote: »
    @darkbladejk - had a thought. Character slots are only sold in even number increments, correct? And I believe that the default number of slots would be the same for all accounts (or one of two numbers depending on lifetime status?) Wouldn't it then follow that the number of current slots can be proven to be mathematically impossible?

You have times where one slot is given (like the recruitment events) and there may have been other ways to get single slots over the life of the game.

Also, the number of character slots any account *should* have has been hard to know for years now. Ask 3 different people and you get 5 different answers. It has changed at least once over the years, and was really a jumble around the time free to play started and account changed over.
    You have times where one slot is given (like the recruitment events) and there may have been other ways to get single slots over the life of the game.

I could be wrong, but I THINK free slots were only given with recruitment events and new factions, which would add up to 8 free additional character slots I think?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited May 2021

I could be wrong, but I THINK free slots were only given with recruitment events and new factions, which would add up to 8 free additional character slots I think?

There was one time when they got a new dev, who reworked the character creation screens. I think they also gave us a free slot to make a new toon to make use of that. I *could* remember wrong, though.

And maybe there were other random occasions like that?

PS. I'm missing a slot and a lifer too.
This discussion has been closed.