test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

More fighter/shuttle TFOs?

spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 585 Arc User
Shuttles/fighter that we captain, really have very little use, I think there is 2 missions and 2 TFOs to use a shuttle/fighter.

I think this is a missed opportunity for some simple random fun, as the smaller crafts are so much more speedy than the larger ships (in general) I thought what might be fun?

Races, think of something like Mario cart in the trek universe. your goal is not just getting to the finish line, but also shooting X number of targets and getting as many points as you can, different targets = different points.

random powerups to help you increase speed, weapons or shields as you traverse the "track"
getting in first place does not 100% = your win.

Dogfighting You and team are assaulting a facility, you must destroy X targets to expose the main core while fighting enemy fighters and turrets.

Any thoughts on these 2 ideas?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I will only accept Mario Trek if I can blueshell my opponent's shuttles.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Shuttle combat? No. There's nothing remotely positive to say about shuttle combat. There's no 'dog fighting' to be had. Dogfighting is a product of manual avoidance of narrow effective combat arcs. None of that is applicable to STO. Your enemies have beam arrays and turrets. They can shoot you at all times. And they will hit you all the time, too. Your shuttle is never 'difficult' to hit, even with full power to engines. You might as well be stationary for all the difference it makes.

Non-combat shuttle content? Sure. Races with hazards to avoid and such, that could be a lot of fun (see: Summer and Winter races).

Shuttles are too fast to control under full impulse, or too slow to survive with while in combat. Quite annoying.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    There used to be shuttle weekend events.

I thought they were fun and something a little different. The events payed well.
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    I would like more shuttle tfo's. Combat or not
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    I loved the old Shuttle Fleet Alert. Was the same as basic Fleet Alert, except as a 20 man shuttle queue. Probably one of the only 20 man ones to pop consistently back in the day. And it was fun because who doesn't enjoy swarming larger ships?

Really do want a reason to bust out my little Aeon again.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I would enjoy more shuttle content as long as it is doable. Atmosphere assault is fun, but the actual story mission is a pain in the TRIBBLE because you can get overwhelmed by enemies so quickly. I have also found that zooming in on my shuttle completely does not make it any easier to see the enemy shuttles, and I am on an Xbox with a giant TV.
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I do miss the shuttle events. It was definitely a nice change of pace. Maybe they can run one as a gap filler, kind of like the alerts.

Cirran
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Small craft gameplay should have been a thing. Customize and love your shuttle/yacht just like your ship, make use of shuttle kits and items (and not just slap your main gear on). A number of fun combat and non-combat activities are imaginable.

Sadly it never worked like that. The shuttles always were treated like bad main ships with little health and guns. In the shows, shuttle episodes always were different. But it's just another of those 'would have been nice' chapters of STO which have been dropped, like ship interiours and exploration.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    Considering what a pain the fighter/shuttle missions are, I'll have to pass on this one.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    I am glad there are this many comments, regardless of what "side" is taken.

Even if its not combat based, the potential for fun races or other objectives could still be implemented.

as commented before, maybe we need more small craft gear as to main ship gear to use instead.

Hell could even have a CTF, hide and seek with cloaked ships etc.

I'm just throwing out random ideas here but I hope the point is made.
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    perhaps shuttles need a new purpose.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
  • Options
    Use shuttles to mine the many asteroid fields because large starships cant fit, maybe fight X hostile fighters too?

Maybe respond to random distress signals kind of like the deep space encounters, some require the use of a small ship for .... something?
This discussion has been closed.