test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

🌟May the 4th Be with STO - 2021 Edition!🌟

stocostumes#8412 stocostumes Member Posts: 53 Arc User
Note: posting a little early because I will be gone most of the day tomorrow...

It's the time again! May the 4th, 2021! And to celebrate, the /r/stocostumes team brings you...

🌟 The Really Big Star Wars Costume Gallery!!! 🌟

For anyone interested in cosplaying their favorite characters from a galaxy far, far away, all of these costumes are available for download here.

We hoped to have pictures of the sliders available this year, but unfortunately real life got in the way. However we will definitely have the sliders ready to go next year so those who play on console can recreate the costumes too.

But we didn't just post this thread to share our costumes, we also want to see yours! If you have created a Star Wars inspired character or crew, please post some pics!

Live Long, and May the 4th Be With You...Always! 😀
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Does the TOS and/or COC allow for creating likenesses of trademarked characters? Fairly certain that is a no no.

As memory serves, some time back Kael said what players do with their own characters is considered "fan art". The rules about likeness applied to foundry missions, because once published those missions were actually part of the game's content and something Cryptic could potentially be held accountable for.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Does the TOS and/or COC allow for creating likenesses of trademarked characters? Fairly certain that is a no no.

As memory serves, some time back Kael said what players do with their own characters is considered "fan art". The rules about likeness applied to foundry missions, because once published those missions were actually part of the game's content and something Cryptic could potentially be held accountable for.

It's technically a no no but it's not really enforced, I remember back in the day Cryptic won a lawsuit over this very matter (for Champions and Marvel characters but still essentially the same thing). As long as you're not using those for profit or asking Cryptic add them as official content it should be OK.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Characters we create are part of the game and interacting with the content as well.

Just to clarify, I wasn't giving you my opinion. I am telling you what I recall Kael saying. If you think he is wrong, you can take that up with him. But I'm guessing he or whatever people gave him that info probably have a better understanding of what is or isn't ok than we do.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jakeesanjakeesan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    This is absolutely phenomenal! Sorry some idiot karens came in screeching about copyrights. Nerds who got bullied in school who now live online harassing folks in the name of revenge under the guise of some perverted sense of justice
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

It's technically a no no but it's not really enforced, I remember back in the day Cryptic won a lawsuit over this very matter (for Champions and Marvel characters but still essentially the same thing). As long as you're not using those for profit or asking Cryptic add them as official content it should be OK.

Not really - the case was looking like it was going to go Cryptic's way, but in the end, there was a out of court settlement in December 2005; the case was dropped and MARVEL contracted Cryptic to create a 'Marvel Universe Online' MMO - but during development Microsoft backed out; and Marvel cancelled its plans; so Cryptic retooled the game into what became "Champions Online".
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    jakeesan wrote: »
    This is absolutely phenomenal! Sorry some idiot karens came in screeching about copyrights. Nerds who got bullied in school who now live online harassing folks in the name of revenge under the guise of some perverted sense of justice

There is no need to start insulting anyone. But still, the point remains: the CM has already commented on the matter, so there is really no point in armchair lawyers debating about it.

Although the actual comment has been lost to the internet (I can't remember whether he said it on reddit, twitter, or a livestream), it was made around the time this article came out:

https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/02/star-wars-comes-to-star-trek-online-thanks-to-some-creative-use-of-the-character-builder/

Cryptic is clearly aware people have fun making costumes based on non-Trek things, and the last stated position is what people do with their own character costumes is considered 'fan art' and not something they are going to moderate, with the obvious exception of anything hate/secks related.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Again, take it up with Kael. Armchair lawyering is pointless.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

It was Marvel vs. Cryptic's City of Heroes.

They had people go into the game and try to duplicate Marvel characters to claim that their copyrights and trademarks were being infringed, even though it was a major policy on Cryptic's part to curtail any infringement.

Marvel lost, and then spun everyone's head around when they approached Cryptic with making a Marvel MMO along with Xbox. It went south fast, with Marvel going on to make terrible games where players had to be trademarked Marvel characters and could not make original characters set in their Multiverse.

Cryptic ended up buying Champions and used what assets they were creating for the Marvel MMO to build upon what was to be Champions online.
  • Options
    Again, take it up with Kael. Armchair lawyering is pointless.

Simply having a discussion. If that is ok with you of course?

Actually, no; it's not "ok" with me. (Not that I can do anything about it, but since you asked). The reason it's not "ok" with me is because instead of any discussion whatsoever about the actual pictures the OP posted or anything positive or fun, your entire point is that you think it's breaking some kind of rule. Despite the fact that the CM has already given his stance on it. So no, your "discussion" isn't very productive IMO. It's essentially off topic, TBH.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    I like the pictures. They look nice and I think they are very creative. Does that make you make you happy now?

Nah, not quite "happy" yet. But it's a big damn improvement, that's for sure! :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

It was Marvel vs. Cryptic's City of Heroes.

They had people go into the game and try to duplicate Marvel characters to claim that their copyrights and trademarks were being infringed, even though it was a major policy on Cryptic's part to curtail any infringement.

Marvel lost, and then spun everyone's head around when they approached Cryptic with making a Marvel MMO along with Xbox. It went south fast, with Marvel going on to make terrible games where players had to be trademarked Marvel characters and could not make original characters set in their Multiverse.

Cryptic ended up buying Champions and used what assets they were creating for the Marvel MMO to build upon what was to be Champions online.

A big reason behind why they lost is it turns out that most of the 'violators' were Marvel employees.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This is not an issue that has ever been decided in a court. However, fair use is always the likely outcome.

Saying that you can't use company A's product to recreate company B's character is absurd when it has no commercial use. Think about that real hard for a minute.

What if little Jimmy draws Spiderman with Crayola crayons to show off to the class? Is Crayola infringing Marvel? Is little Jimmy infringing Marvel? That is fundamentally the same argument as using character creator assets to do the same sort of thing.

Personally, when a terrible company gets greedy and starts litigating over stuff like that, that is when I no longer buy that company's product. I haven't seen a single Marvel movie since Blade, and that remains solely because of their lawsuit against Cryptic and CoH back in the day.

It isn't just up to courts to decide it, but also public opinion. Consider if everyone in STO likes to go around dressed as their favorite Star Wars character on May 4, Disney/Lucasfilm would be morons to shut that down with a lawsuit. Number one its free advertising. Number two it would generate a huge amount of bad will (and they already have plenty of that.)

CBS would be equally moronic to shut that down, as even if people are dressing as characters from another IP, they are doing so while playing within CBS' own IP making CBS money.
  • Options
    Well, that WAS a profit case - the family may not have made one, but the stonecutter (Or whatever they call them in modern times) did.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    I seriously doubt that Walt Disney gave two TRIBBLE whether or not anyone used Mickey Mouse's head as a carving for a headstone - especially long after being ash.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well, some companies are suing cosplayers for profiting with their character likeness.. so....
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.