What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Personal objective

Figure out a way to survive this
b6603e4ef2e3229e8115d036c1dbadd3.png
if possible of course....

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Is the invisible super mega one-shot kills torpedo bug back again for yet another round?
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    They are destructible torpedoes so shooting them work just fine.

I often play HSE and Borg RAs. I forgot when it was the last time I got shot by one. FAW removes them reliably on the fly without the need of the player to deliberately tend to them.

Personal objective complete. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > Is the invisible super mega one-shot kills torpedo bug back again for yet another round?

Had to send in my MSI for repair and needed to use my old Mac Book for STO the past two weeks. The difference between max and min visual settings is massive, nevertheless objects of interest always get displayed. If there is still such a thing as invisible torpedoes and someone suffers from them regularly just have them tagged/labeled under settings.
    animated.gif
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Is the invisible super mega one-shot kills torpedo bug back again for yet another round?

These are the V'ger torpedoes, which I can't say I've ever known to be invisible, though they definitely can sneak up on you. I virtually never see them, though, because DPS is so high in most groups that they never get fired.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    They are destructible torpedoes so shooting them work just fine.

I often play HSE and Borg RAs. I forgot when it was the last time I got shot by one. FAW removes them reliably on the fly without the need of the player to deliberately tend to them.

Personal objective complete. :)

objective is to tank it, not to avoid it, was being curious because I know you can destroy the thing
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    The easiest way I can think of in regards to tanking them is the Continuity ability from the Temporal specialization since, if the user's hull hits 0, the heal from it triggers before death.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I honestly don't know if it can be tanked... would like to hear how it goes though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited May 2021
    > @nacito#6758 said:
    > objective is to tank it, not to avoid it, was being curious because I know you can destroy the thing

I see, is the starship trait „Invincible“ allowed for your objective? :)
    animated.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    That is not a torpedo.

Plasma Bolt Explosion is the big energy web that comes out of a Unimatrix and moves at half the speed of a wounded tortoise. It's huge, slow and you can just shoot it to get rid of it.

It's incredibly visible and should be easy to avoid. If it does hit you, it kills you.

The defense is simply don't let it hit you. You can move out of the way using Evasive Maneuvers or simply target it and open fire.
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
    > @nacito#6758 said:
    > objective is to tank it, not to avoid it, was being curious because I know you can destroy the thing

I see, is the starship trait „Invincible“ allowed for your objective? :)

sure, if it triggers just as I take the damage
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    I always make sure I have torpedo spread or BFAW not on cooldown at the same time. if i see the thing I turn away and TS or BFAW. though I really can't remember the last time i saw the thing. in all the RAs from this last grind the UM died in like 30 seconds
    Spock.jpg

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm not sure OP is asking for help, but instead is looking for build theory on how to build a ship that would be able to survive a hit.
    I'm not sure OP is asking for help, but instead is looking for build theory on how to build a ship that would be able to survive a hit.

this guy gets it​​
    edited May 2021
    Outside of the 'Invincible' trait, there is no realistic way to build to survive this. That's fine, because it's something you would not want to do anyway.

The damage is set the way it is intentionally, you're not designed to be able to survive it, the trick is to avoid it. With something like this, it's so easy to avoid that building to 'tank' it would just be an illogical build choice. Assuming you could build your hull to such a level where you could take this, you would basically want to just put everything on your build into it and that would leave the rest of your build sorely lacking.

There are people here that know how to build a ship to have insane hull, I am sure one of them can advise you on all the best things to add to just boost hull, and you can probably stack all that stuff together and make the ultimate turtle build that can just hide in it's shell and take a beating without doing any damage back. This projectile was designed back in a time where it was impossible by any means to survive, at that time there was just no way to reach these hull numbers, but in todays game you could probably pull it off. Honestly though, the easiest way to take this is to just do as the game intends and that's destroy the projectile before it reaches your ship.

Building with taking the blast in mind just feels like trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
    edited May 2021
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Building with taking the blast in mind just feels like trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

That sentence is the three point field goal of this thread for sure. Not that the rest of your post did not clarify it for everybody who reads it in its usual high quality.

Obstacles like this one call for some cheesy build responses if at all. If one tries to build a ship „properly“ around it one will run into a very expensive disappointment.
    animated.gif
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    Yeah it's likely that a build that could take that hit would be essentially useful only for bragging rights, in that it would so highly specialized as to be non-viable for anything else
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    There's 1 or 2 powers that might suck it up or dodge it. Tow that come to mind for me are...
    • One of the Sovereign consoles draws all aggro and then makes you immune to damage for a few seconds.
    • The Elachi subspace dive console should evade it.
    You could also use Rock and Roll from the pilot spec to withstand it. That would be a better path then devoting your entire build to being able to absorb the damage.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    hmmm would the armor from the intrepid work? would be a console wasted and lock you into the evil I, but it might do the trick
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    hmmm would the armor from the intrepid work? would be a console wasted and lock you into the evil I, but it might do the trick

That ablative armor console never seemed to do much actually, personally I don't think it is particularly good.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Are you talking about the slow moving torpedoes borg RA boss ships use?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    I play near exclusively as a tank in this game and there's 3 attacks I generally don't mess with. The plasma bolt you mentioned, the Crystalline Blast, and the lance from the pickle ships in HSE. You can in fact survive the plasma bolt without cheese such as Invincible or similar items, though it will take some hefty cooldowns to do it. I've been playing STO since later 2012 early 2013 time and in the few times I've ever been hit by that thing I've survived it 4 times. First thing you'll need is some mega high resists. You can push near 75% resists resting, and go slightly higher than that with other temporary buffs. You will also want a fair amount of hull and shields to absorb the impact once resists have been taken into account. Temporary HP buffs are highly advised here. Last time I got hit with one I was around 82% resists, and sitting at around 173k hull and 26k shields thanks to some other buffs, and it still wiped most of my health. If/when you do survive, you're going to want some mega heals on standby.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    I play near exclusively as a tank in this game and there's 3 attacks I generally don't mess with. The plasma bolt you mentioned, the Crystalline Blast, and the lance from the pickle ships in HSE. You can in fact survive the plasma bolt without cheese such as Invincible or similar items, though it will take some hefty cooldowns to do it. I've been playing STO since later 2012 early 2013 time and in the few times I've ever been hit by that thing I've survived it 4 times. First thing you'll need is some mega high resists. You can push near 75% resists resting, and go slightly higher than that with other temporary buffs. You will also want a fair amount of hull and shields to absorb the impact once resists have been taken into account. Temporary HP buffs are highly advised here. Last time I got hit with one I was around 82% resists, and sitting at around 173k hull and 26k shields thanks to some other buffs, and it still wiped most of my health. If/when you do survive, you're going to want some mega heals on standby.

this is the most useful answer so far
    I am not trying to make an optimized hull ship thing, all I am trying to do is *MAX HP* on a ship to just survive the bolt in hp and resistances alone, just because I can​​
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Energy Negation Set Power from the Aegis Set can sluff it off in a .25 second window.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    unknown.png
    I think I can do it now...
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I'm lazy so I'd just spend a phoenix token on the point defense console instead. Or be even lazier and just blow up once in awhile :)
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    @rattler2 @darkbladejk The dead have arisen
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
This discussion has been closed.