test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free the Tailor!

livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
So if "space barbie" really is the true endgame of STO, then I think its time to fully unlock the tailor. What I mean is, being completely free to mix and match armor/outfit/set pieces without limits. Give us more control over how our toons look.

What are your thoughts? ( feel free to comment if your choice is not represented)
gQytlm7.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Free the Tailor! 52 votes

Yes, absolutely!
32% 17 votes
Yes, and add in even more alien parts/outfits!
34% 18 votes
No, that's not needed.
15% 8 votes
No, because I don't want other people having too much fun.
1% 1 vote
I want brownies.
15% 8 votes

Comments

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Yes! :#

I do want brownies, though.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    yes, but there still needs to be limits. no kitty parts, to protect those who bought kitties from the C store. it's not so much mix and match I want i want full blown color palettes
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2021
    yes, but there still needs to be limits. no kitty parts, to protect those who bought kitties from the C store. it's not so much mix and match I want i want full blown color palettes

Yea I'd love a slightly larger universal color palette that was standardized for all factions to include the typical Klingon or Romulan Uniform colors; with those of the Federation.

Also wished they'd stop linking some uniform colors on one item to alternative piece of another. This sometimes occurs with Nausicaan's and a few others especially shoulder pad's so they appear grey rather than bortasqu dark brown.
    0zxlclk.png
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Other than certain tweaks I don't think so, things are already silly enough as it is and I know exactly why some (probably many) people want this
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    We can poll all we want to and I can agree with that which you want, but Cryptic will never do it... Partly at least because CBS won't let them...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I'd like to see gender restrictions of alien body parts lifted (for example 'horns' can only be applied to males, which makes it impossible to create proper Deferi because the Cryptic made female ones wear one of the 'horns' options) and of course new body parts to play with are alwas appreciated. I'd love some more exotic hands and feet (hooves in particular, Kelpians apparently have hoof like feet and Tellarites in some non-canon material have them, too).

Also outfits should be made freely mixable if purchased or unlocked, especially for BOFFs as well.

However I do see why we can't make catgirls and I like to not change that 😂

A little note: If you create a poll make a statement and restrict the options to 'agree', 'disagree' and maybe 'indifferent'. Don't offer joke options or opinionated ones, that doesn't help your poll.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yes! :#

I do want brownies, though.
    I'd like to see gender restrictions of alien body parts lifted (for example 'horns' can only be applied to males, which makes it impossible to create proper Deferi because the Cryptic made female ones wear one of the 'horns' options)

Yes to both (including brownies)! And free the tailor color palettes while you're at it!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Yeah I'd like a freed Tailor within reason, certain things obviously cannot be done like "bare chest" for female characters as toplessness for females is an automatic "M" in the USA and Cryptic is an US based company and the majority of STO's playerbase seems to be american as well. Also CBS might say "no" to certain things, but I say if it can be done and it's not massive amount of work then most tailor restrictions should be removed. Also I'd love it they could make "make up" and "color patterns on the face" different categories so Mirwast could wear make up in addition to her face paint/tattoo.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I'd be happy enough if all my boffs were allowed to wear the same uniforms. On my fed aligned Romulan, half the boffs can wear Klingon uniform pieces, the other half Fed ones. Opening up everything to anyone might indeed be an easy to implement and elegant solution. Maybe they could do something about different colour palettes as well while they're at it.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Yes, of course.
    And really, it's high time.

To those worried about "nakedness"... have you forgotten that Orions are in game and what kind of outfits can they wear? Have you forgotten about the swimsuits we can wear on Risa (and some wear even everywhere else)? Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that "rating" isn't broken every single day by a multitude of people.

As for the "CBS won't allow them" argument, I say that it's a very old, very convenient excuse.
    The truth is that there's no monetary gain from it, and so it won't be made unless they can hide it behind a paywall - same as the I.S.S prefix, for example.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Yes, of course.

To those worried about "nakedness"... have you forgotten that Orions are in game and what kind of outfits can they wear? Have you forgotten about the swimsuits we can wear on Risa (and some wear even everywhere else)? Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that "rating" isn't broken every single day by a multitude of people.

As for the "CBS won't allow them" argument, I say that it's a very old, very convenient excuse.
    The truth is that there's no monetary gain from it, and so it won't be made unless they can hide it behind a paywall - same as the I.S.S prefix, for example.

"Some" have done it because they exploited bugs in the tailor...people just want to take every damn little thing the KDF has left and this is literally the only thing they have left...some unique outfits in Nausicaan and Orions. Nothing is sacred to people...
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I just want brownies
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Yes, of course.

"Some" have done it because they exploited bugs in the tailor...people just want to take every damn little thing the KDF has left and this is literally the only thing they have left...some unique outfits in Nausicaan and Orions. Nothing is sacred to people...

Fair point.
    Still, I'd like to have the ability to - for example - wear the Mirror Romulan sleeveless jacket with the Command Kor shoulder pads. Or to use the Orions tops my main KDF has access too, being an Orion herself, with the Colony cape. Or to mix and match pieces of the reputation costumes. And so forth and so forth.
    Would there be clipping? Sure! But there's clipping even now and not only between pieces of different sets.
    And let's not talk about entire races whose arms disappear if they use certain jackets.

Then there's the color palette, with all its inconsistencies:
    - different shades between male and female version of the same costume;
    - different shades between top and bottom of the same costume;
    - different shades between the different factions for the same costume;
    - boots... god, the boots;
    just to name a few.

In short, there's lot of work that could be done. But it won't, unless they can find a way to monetize it properly.
    Say what you will about some of the characters you can see in game, but STO has what's probably the best character creator I've ever seen and it even allows you to change the physical appearance of your character without spending a single dime, which is unheard of in every other MMO I've ever played. It's a shame to see that the tailor is such a mess.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    While I'm not that big of a space barbie person, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the restrictions relaxed within reason.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Yes, of course.

"Some" have done it because they exploited bugs in the tailor...

Actually, a small number of the swimsuit tops, plus the shorts, are in the Off Duty category. So, Fed side, one can wear "practically-swimwear" without exploiting any bugs. And then there's things like the Exo III outfit, etc. So even though it's already possible, the much-feared "omg, ESD will be wall to wall naked wimmens!" apocalypse hasn't happened, no matter how much it's thrown around as why we can't unlock the tailor.

people just want to take every damn little thing the KDF has left and this is literally the only thing they have left...some unique outfits in Nausicaan and Orions. Nothing is sacred to people...

...seriously? :|
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Yeah I'd like a freed Tailor within reason, certain things obviously cannot be done like "bare chest" for female characters as toplessness for females is an automatic "M" in the USA and Cryptic is an US based company and the majority of STO's playerbase seems to be american as well. Also CBS might say "no" to certain things, but I say if it can be done and it's not massive amount of work then most tailor restrictions should be removed. Also I'd love it they could make "make up" and "color patterns on the face" different categories so Mirwast could wear make up in addition to her face paint/tattoo.

you know I didn't even think about that. I would love to have a half white half black toon like the two in the TOS episode Let that be your last battlefield and yes I know Spock said everyone was dead, but there HAD to be people offworld...
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I would have voted I want brownies but ate 2 packs of Thornton's chocolate brownies earlier as Co-Op had them on offer
    Post edited by ussvaliant2#1952 on
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    The second option and I would like brownies too.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I'm more of a Pie girl...
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    In regards to Orions and the age rating, "T" rating allows some really skimpy outfits as long as certain things are covered (also it allows limited amount of certain things, but that's not relevant here).

The female nipple or the areola are things that needed to be covered as are the genitalia for both genders, now you can expose pretty everything else from the front as long as those things are covered and still get a "T". However exposed female nipples are pretty much an autonomic "M" and there male outfits in game that have 0 fabric on the upper torso note there's female versions that give your character a skimpy top instead, but there's no way Cryptic would or could make those male versions be usable on female characters.

I mean the Iconian rep armor is skintight enough that that your character is essentially naked and that's an armor you can use everywhere and that hasn't effected the age rating at in the US. Like I said it's not how much but rather what you're showing the nipples on the Ico armor are technically covered even if the outfit itself is so skintight that it leaves very little to the imagination.
  • scotty74321scotty74321 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Yes Free the Tailor, but i want brownies as someone stole the cookies from the cookie jar. Thovan Kev is my bet.
    Laddy, don't you think you should... rephrase that??
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    As Dr. Evil told Nr. 2 "This too already has happened."

Went to the tailor this morning, trying to fit a costume for my new Orion female. So, I specifically clicked 'Outfit only', so as to see all uniforms on all toons, picked one, and for the love of Kahless, I turned into my Rom character, in full (visually only, of course). But this is stupid. I am an Orion female: no way I should get the 100% verbatim look from my saved Rom character. Someone at Cryptic should at least try and keep up the appearance of having species-separation. Respecting all racial choices, is respecting none, really.

#TaylorIsFree

(I had to do the latter, sorry)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Costumes, why not.
    Body parts, dammit jim he's a tailor not Dr Moreau!
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Costumes, why not.

I want my cat girl dammit
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    Costumes, why not.

Well i meant more alien parts to character creation, sorry i should have specified.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Definitely yes.

More freedom to determine what your toon looks like, isn't likely to have a serious negative impact on others. That means it's an improvement.

Some more parts I would definitely like to see are:

- More eye options
    - like three pairs à la the Iconians
    - asymmetrical positions
    - Different positions (like on the side of the head)

- More natural head coverings options
    - Different types of horns and spikes (Voth ones especially)
    - More tendril options in different shapes

- More exotic stuff
    - Body parts that are separate from the character, like Iconian tech or the new Janeway class (we've got something similar with the Nanite Health Monitor, particles that move with the character as if they're attached to it)

- More tech additions
    - new earrings, also for non-Bajoran or alien males and new ear pieces
    - more different kinds of collars (we've got only a handful of them and the most interesting ones are tied to lobi outfits)
    - new visors
    - mouth pieces

- Glasses!

- An option to have things like a phase pistol as part of your outfit
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I'd like to be able to color sleeves and pant legs individually
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
This discussion has been closed.