test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Could we have an atmospheric flight episode?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I always enjoyed the shuttle event Atmosphere Assault, because I loved flying around a planet. I'd still love to see shuttles shown some love, because they are very neglected in the game, but it would also be great to fly my starship around a planet's surface too.

I was just thinking that something new and different in an episode would be if we had to land our ships. A challenge, Kobali episode jumping-esque, could be flying through a difficult atmosphere, like in "Demon", dodging thermionic discharges. Obviously a landing would be incredible, especially if that was also a challenge...making sure that you don't crash your ship.

Maybe even a crash landing episode. Your ship crashes, you have to survive it and then repair to take back off.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    The main problem with this is that most ships in this game are not designed for to be able to survive entering the atmosphere of a planet, let alone landing. Think of the difference in size between the Nova, a ship that can land, and the Universe class. Even if the Universe could survive entering the atmosphere and land, how would Cryptic design the ground map to take the massive size differential into in player ships into account?
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    The main problem with this is that most ships in this game are not designed for to be able to survive entering the atmosphere of a planet, let alone landing. Think of the difference in size between the Nova, a ship that can land, and the Universe class. Even if the Universe could survive entering the atmosphere and land, how would Cryptic design the ground map to take the massive size differential into in player ships into account?

Wouldn't it be hilarious though to play an episode, once in your Connie and another in your Universe Class ;-)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Remember in the Dyson Sphere we can purchase levels of coping with the atmosphere from your Fleet Spire.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    No. It would be a dozen different kinds of headache.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I'd like to see more EV-suit 'missions' or a battlezone or something, where we get to put those things to good use. Jumping between allied ships (maybe even your own ship) duking it out with other ships. Getting inside enemy ship shields, sabotaging things, getting out again, etc. Something markedly different what STO has offered thus far.

only if you get "Kurland Here" every 5 seconds
    Spock.jpg

This is slightly OT, but also on-par...I've always found it strange that with the Summer and Winter Events, when both give away ships that there's not a space game. You see the latest Risian ship over the ocean, but there's no game. And every year it's a new Breen SHIP, but nothing specifically to play with it.

Flying through the Winter Wonderland or over the seas of Risa would be nice.
    There have been a lot of EV suits to buy over the last couple of years. The 23rd century ones, 22nd, it was a big thing with the Solanae and when the Tholian adventure zone opened, of course you have to wear one the whole time.

A bit like shuttles though, they just seem neglected in the game, with not enough to do with them.
This discussion has been closed.