test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

INCOMING INVASION

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Can anyone hear me? This is Adet'pa with an emergency broadcast to all Federation Captains. I have uncovered intelligence that J'mpok intends to attack Earth Space Dock at 1:30 PT today, May 3rd. My intelligence says it will occur on something called a "Tribble Test Server." Be ready!

Comments

• xceptionalzeroxceptionalzero Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Awesome...but disconnected by the server 16 times so far and still trying to saty in for at least a few minutes. Holodeck is perfectly fine however. Is this a stress test?
  • mark#1633 mark Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Same, just disconnects and boots be back to log in screen. Did get in once, for about 10 seconds but just had 'server not responding'... about 10-11 times now
  • dardnokdardnok Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    no point of getting in there now its already over
  • kiltedonekiltedone Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    So much for trying. Too many disconnects.
  • kidfoxjrkidfoxjr Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Disconnect issue was the biggest problem. Also the targs were a little overpowered. other than that it was fun.
  • cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    Got in, couldn't switch maps and by the time I think it was getting back around to my map I got booted from the server and couldn't reconnect.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Got onto ESD, died to an army of targs that was 34 levels higher than me... and I am max level.
    And then I DC'ed.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • mrjammer01mrjammer01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
  • ktetchktetch Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    There were a few issues - at times things got so laggy that it was hard to do anything. (I took part in the initial spawn at instance 1, then in 5, and then in 2)
    Worst was when you'd respawn in the transporter area, and before you could do anything, you'd die because it was full of targs.
    I also caught some of the earlier stuff in instance1 that had the chasing beams, they were more than a bit overpowered, and because of the lag, by the time I'd seen them, they'd touched me and killed me (where I'd go back into the mess of targ's)

There was also an issue of a massive T-rex half-appearing through the waterfall on the backside of Quinn's office, so its head was visible from the main atrium.

The eventual viable strategy was to congregate on the mezzanine level, and use long range weapons (I used my gold mk15 TR116B, which was SLOW to kill) to snipe at them (I don't know if it'd work against anything but the targs, as I couldn't escape the kill zone long enough) with the occasional mortar to help.

And of course there was the old issue of many things being disabled after 3 seconds of spawning. Crystal prisms kit modules, Medical nanite II (Omega rep T6) and One Little Ship II (Gamma rep t6) were in that category. The few time i did manage to use any of them, I died soon (3 sec) after (on the transporter pad mess) so I don't know what they did if anything.
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    ktetch wrote: »
    There were a few issues...

Those aren't real issues. The spawning was just the devs being trolls intentionally spawning them on the respawn point, maybe part of the test? As for the V-rec clipping, that's because they were never meant to be spawned on the map, definitely not 5 at once.

I for one had a LOT of fun during the test. Only issue I noticed was the lag and server crashes that seemed to get better as the event went on, not sure what that means. Seemed to be more of a spawning issue than player cap though cause there only seemed to be a few hundred players on, and the server constantly crashed EXACTLY when Brian or Mercy started to spawn things.

There were some abilities I couldn't use, console clickies and some rep powers, but think that's zone related?
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Thanks for your help, everyone. :)
  • ktetchktetch Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    gilion wrote: »
    ktetch wrote: »
    There were a few issues...

Those aren't real issues. The spawning was just the devs being trolls intentionally spawning them on the respawn point, maybe part of the test? As for the V-rec clipping, that's because they were never meant to be spawned on the map, definitely not 5 at once.

I for one had a LOT of fun during the test. Only issue I noticed was the lag and server crashes that seemed to get better as the event went on, not sure what that means. Seemed to be more of a spawning issue than player cap though cause there only seemed to be a few hundred players on, and the server constantly crashed EXACTLY when Brian or Mercy started to spawn things.

There were some abilities I couldn't use, console clickies and some rep powers, but think that's zone related?

I always prefer to be more concise, If it were intentional, they got feedback on it. If it wasn't, they got feedback on it :smile: (I used to help design a distributed particle accelerator design project - the only evolutionary project out there; one of the things I told people was never assume i knew or intended something. if I did and you told me, I got your view on it. if I didn't intend it, but you assume I did and didn't say, then I'll never know, right? :smiley: )

Overall, it made a nice change, and was a bit different when the normal tactic of just spam-fire at the nearest baddie didn't work because there were too many who were too strong. It was nice when we had to use actual tactics, and a few special abilities, rather than just run up, pew pew, next!

It's what I hoped would happen with the introduction of the voth ships, with their half-shields that blunted alpha-strike DPS ships a bit, and it's what kinda makes me miss the IRW Esemar of S'harien's Swords. Any time when 'the best' isn't necessarily 'the best', and requires some tactics, even if not strategy. And I hope this may be a sign that we could be getting some of that sort of thought, and that a Lord Ronald Rust (or Lord Cardigan, if you prefer)-style "headlong charge' is no longer the way to go.