test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Days of Doom part 2

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,199 Arc User
I posted about this once before, last year, and would have posted in that thread, but no necros means a whole new thread for the same topic...

Anyway, did Days of Doom again today, and I really don't know how anyone is expected to succeed at that garbage.

So, before we began, I made sure everyone knew what they were doing. They did. We destroyed the first two groups of ships with no difficulty, at least one guy in the group was a massive dps player, wiping out hordes in the blink of an eye, so I figured we would be fine.

Doomsday machine arrives, we start lugging cores to it. Or, try to. On average it took about 5 attempts just to pick the things up, but we were going over there as fast as was possible. Supposedly, they're supposed to slow the DDMachine down, but it sure didn't seem to.

Then, the starbase calls for help. I go there with the dps guy to help out, but it just keeps spawning dozens of Romulans, over and over. The SECOND the last one is defeated, 20 more appear... and since there's 7 or 8 destabilized torpedoes that explode when you shoot them down, plus core breaches and so on... there was literally NO way to protect the base.

Then we try to use the dreadnought core to destroy the DDMachine... but it's gone about 3/4 of the way, and is SO far out of reach... we didn't even get a quarter of the way to it with the big core before the mission ended. THAT core was also flipping impossible to pick up, 7 or 8 attempts, all while being shot at by a hundred little ships.

Seriously, I have seen this mission succeed ONCE, when it first came out. I don't know if they ramped up the difficulty or what, but it's flatly impossible like this.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I haven't played this STF for years, but I remember liking it a lot. Sorry to hear it is broken.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Seems like a new strategy is in order.

One person with a megawell build can easily protect the starbase solo. Everyone else needs to run cores. Full power to engines, evasive maneuvers, attack pattern omega, and emergency power to engines. Pick up core, drop off core, hang around to shoot down any warp core interceptors, repeat. If you get shot at, ignore it and hit a speed boost skill. The only person that needs to be constantly fighting is the person protecting the station.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    That could work, but "requires a megawell build to complete" is not a well balanced TFO.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    That could work, but "requires a megawell build to complete" is not a well balanced TFO.

I was under the impression that there were two kinds of ships: megawell ships, and ships that should be hauled away AS garbage.

(j/k)
  • poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    When you pick up the cores to slow the DDM, come to a complete stop. If I'm moving, it fails to complete the pick up. This happens elsewhere in the game too, so I figured stopping would help and it does.

When I ran it for the endeavour the other day, one player failed to load in at all, position null. That was new and interesting. So four players only. After the initial fight, I belted over to pick up a core and drop it on the DDM. Job done, the other three players seem to know exactly what to do with cores, it's all good.

Starbase is taking damage, no-one is there, so I pootle on over and hammer the nightsoil out of the incoming. I have a good ship and good gear. I burn them down for the next five minutes. The other three guys are doing an amazing job by the DDM, chaining the core deliveries really well. Now and then one or other dies, they aren't dealing with the additional ships by the DDM, purely concentrating on cores. Good job. I'm well chuffed.

Last 30 seconds to go, I zoom over to Scotty and wait for the big core. Looking at how far I've got to go? 56km. It's barely halfway. The other players did a fantastic job slowing the DDM down.

Warp core spawns, I am in the right place. I pick that sucker up and pop evasive, attack pattern alpha and attack pattern omega and whoosh. Line up my approach, fly over the DDM, drop down a bit, full stop, drop warp core, break left and top speed to avoid the megazap of death.

Kaboom. Job done.

I can do whatever is needed, but that means nothing if the other players aren't also doing what's needed. All credit goes to them. I just did my li'l bit well enough.

To be clear, I was merely giving one viable strategy for the TFO that works quite well. This TFO does not "require a megawell build to complete".

Even only three players dropping cores and two at the starbase can work.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I've found that the most effective strategy is the leave one person at the starbase, have 3 people hauling cores, and 1 person stay near the Doomsday maw to destroy the Warp Core Interceptors.

If don't destroy the interceptors, they seem to destroy the warp cores before they can do damage to the Doomsday, making the effort somewhat worthless.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    In my personal opinion, this is the worst TFO in the entire game.

I hate it like poison, I won't play it for any reason, when it's a Uni Endeavor I go in with a pre-made team and AFK it.

There are so many bugs in this queue it's beyond saving.. it's boring and just hot garbage (in my opinion.) I absolutely hate it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Don't think i have ever had this TFO fail on me, but then again i rarely come across it in RTFO.
    OP, what difficulty do you play this TFO? Personally i haven't had any difficulties on advanced and elite with random teams.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Don't think i have ever had this TFO fail on me, but then again i rarely come across it in RTFO.
    OP, what difficulty do you play this TFO? Personally i haven't had any difficulties on advanced and elite with random teams.

It's not possible to 'fail.' If you don't complete the objective it completes and just gives you the rewards. You just fail in the sense that you realize you did not complete the objectives.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Tbh, all in all, I don't dislike this one. The problem is that it's bugged to hell and back: having to try multiple times to pick up the cores, releasing the cores only to see them disappear, dying to the Doomsday Machine even if you're well out of its aoe... It's a mess that should've been fixed long ago, basically when they put it in the game; and it certainly shouldn't be in the random pool. Then again, it's not the only stf that shouldn't be in there and yet is.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    did this one a coupla days ago. in my K'tinga I got 2 cores in place to be eaten successfully and then the BIG core in place, and promptly destroyed on releasing it. we won
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    I was in one the other day, it went pretty good. Base was safe, and we scragged the doomsday machine, it just made it to the base, but we nailed it. Worked find.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I think my fondness for this stems from my love that that particular episode of STOS. What was the name of the actor who played the crazy captain that did the suicide run?

Oh, and I also just did the story mission with the DDM with my new Feddie Delta Recruit. They have toned that one down a lot.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

It's not possible to 'fail.' If you don't complete the objective it completes and just gives you the rewards. You just fail in the sense that you realize you did not complete the objectives.

Star base stays alive and the machine blows up after being bombarded with large warp coil. Heard from others that there is sometimes a captain flying into the machine to stop it, but i have yet to see it in person.

All of this may be due to my play style with Crowd control and team support at the center.
    Without that i can imagine the TFO is troublesome, but is the TFO at fault of player knowledge?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    The ship flying into it only happens if you are unable to stop the Doomsday Device from destroying the station. I've only seen it happen once myself.

As for the TFO... the only problem I've really had was in actually placing the warp cores because it seems like a rather narrow interact zone. But you get a good team and it is doable. The difficulty does ramp up the farther along the Doomsday Device gets because of distance with the Dreadnought Core DoT on the carrier, and not being able to go Full Impulse.

My preferred tactic for planting cores in front of it is to do a quick pass in front first to trigger the AoE cone, then afterwords fly in and drop it while the AoE is on cooldown.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    In my personal opinion, this is the worst TFO in the entire game.

I hate it like poison, I won't play it for any reason, when it's a Uni Endeavor I go in with a pre-made team and AFK it.

There are so many bugs in this queue it's beyond saving.. it's boring and just hot garbage (in my opinion.) I absolutely hate it.

I can certainly understand your disdain for this TFO. It is buggy as TRIBBLE.

That being said, I do not mind it because it is a nice change from constant Disco TFO TRIBBLE-cakes. Given the option between Days of Doom and Starbase One or Peril over Pavo, I will choose Days of Doom every time.

I think we can all agree that the best TFO in the game is Gravity Kills.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Remember also that the enemy is random. I can't remember the Romulan weapon being that powerful, but I haven't gotten Roms in awhile. I know the Gorn and Klingon enemies aren't nearly that difficult.

I played PUG normal for this over the weekend, and enemy was Klingons. We had two carriers, a Gok'Tad covered Starbase perfectly and a T5 Kar'Fi screened the core runners by taking enemies out before getting there. The rest of us ran cores. For the Dread Core, I go there first in the Leg D7, and my Hull regen was high enough that I negated the damage the Dread Core gave. Doomsday was barely past 60% to the starbase, and the other runners helped clear a path for me. I had plenty of room to drop the core, and when I finally did, I ate the Big-blast and died doing it, but it ate the core and we succeeded.

And yes, if the Machine gets too close to starbase OR the Dread Core is destroyed, you get a cutscene with an NPC Starfleet Captain using the Decker Maneuver on the Machine, ending the Op for you and losing a couple of bonus marks; although I haven't done this one Elite, so that may be a fail condition there, I don't know. I know Normal and Advanced still count as completion for Endeavor...so run those and it will practically auto-complete.

All that said, yes, there were lots of cores that failed to spawn during the Runner phase. It helps to be completely still during the drop and a few full seconds after the drop, but that's still no guarantee it won't bug. That could use a bit of love to make this TFO better.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    William Windom as Commodore Decker.

'My World and Welcome To It'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    What I never understood is why in the world do we need a huge sextuple warp core to destroy the Doomsday Machine in this TFO, when a starfleet captain in a little shuttle is enough to blow it up. Presumably the shuttle is not running on six regular warp cores lashed together with duct tape.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I was in one the other day, it went pretty good. Base was safe, and we scragged the doomsday machine, it just made it to the base, but we nailed it. Worked find.

might've been the same one I was in
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I did this yesterday for the universal TFO. I did notice that some of my core drops failed to reduce the DDM speed, which was annoying. (Yes, the core did drop in front of it, it wasn't destroyed or rejected for being too far away.)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    mneme0 wrote: »

I was under the impression that there were two kinds of ships: megawell ships, and ships that should be hauled away AS garbage.

(j/k)

Bwaaaahhhhaaaaaa you owe me a keyboard because I just spit a lot of earl Grey all over this one
    Spock.jpg

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This buggy mess needs some serious work. I still can't understand why picking up and dropping cores randomly fails. The drop zone needs to be bigger, for sure. And since we can't actually do anything to the DD machine, we shouldn't be able to target it at all. I hate targeting the thing when I'm trying to kill the warp core interceptors.

Latency is an awful, awful thing in this STF too. Dropping the big core five times because it can take over a full second to even register that you dropped it, and end up picking it back up again, which I find is always completely different from just pew pew response times in the rest of the STF. It definitely seems to affect dropping the little cores to a lesser degree, but at least you can't pick them back up.

Healing the starbase needs to be viable, period. The infinite instant respawn also needs to disappear, not just from this STF but every STF. Why do STFs ever have a defend target we can't actually heal?

As for transporting the cores, that generally isn't too bad. Full impulse works for the little cores. The big core I can easily handle alone in most of my ships. Full power to engines, evasive, and EPTE will usually get it there just fine. That doesn't work at all for a ship with combat impulse engines, though, because of how useless CI engines are with more engine power.

What is the point of CI engines any more? Totally different topic, but it still amazes me how awful they are. They had a place long ago, but they should not exist as options in the game at all at this point.
This discussion has been closed.