test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reduce "Condition Red" transition timer?

livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
Pretty much what it sounds like. A slight reduction in the time it takes to go from Condition Red/Alert back to normal flight or in ground missions.
gQytlm7.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Reduce "Condition Red" transition timer? 31 votes

Yes
67%
saurializardgaevsmanreyan01peterconnorfirstkhan5000crm14916alcyoneserenehyperionx09vieth1jennycolvindoctorstegicaptainpiggmneme0kurtronthehngenemorphsolidshark214galacticgoogaraffenode31#9773 21 votes
No
12%
strathkinfoxrockssocksfoxman00westmetals 4 votes
Make them longer, actually.
3%
coldnapalm 1 vote
Indifferent.
16%
crypticarmsmansomtaawkharkeepcalmchiveontm706eladonwarps#6040 5 votes

Comments

• aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I would say yes out of annoyance. But I don't know the balance considerations. What about a variable answer. It could have different lengths as part of different builds. Not sure what it represents in a real life like sense.

Obviously it could be added as a multiplier to several build types. -10% time on red alert status timer. Or -0.5 seconds to red alert status change timer. Or -x%/sec reduction in status timer per condition. Like all the other existing abilities. It's basically or literally boff/captain ability timer. Add a GCD and add the normal skills/layouts. ;p

BTW, I love gcd builds. It would make ground more interesting. Although the ability in ground could be very lethal.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    Yes
    Whats funny about this is that Red Alert used to by much longer. it was shortened years ago to the point its at now because people complained.

That's certainly true. It used to be annoyingly too long to get out of, now it's just slightly too long.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Yes
    If not shortening it, at least they should make sure some abilities don't lock you into it, especially if you're not the one casting said abilities.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Yes
    Sci career space power scattering field still bugs out and traps me in red alert for some of its duration. It's a bug that was once fixed, after lingering forever, only to return yet again. Some support pets can trigger it too now as they have their own. I don't expect a fix, so short of that, shorten RA and be done with it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Yes
    westmetals wrote: »
    I would say no, specifically because there are traits and other buffs that fall away as soon as you exit red alert mode... having that happen by accident mid-fight, just because you're turning around, say, or got hit with that Viral Impulse Burst ability and flew out of range... might be a balance issue.

That could very easily be addressed with a shorter RA timer. Simply add some code to those traits that ensures the buffs do not zero out until X seconds after RA drops, where X is the difference between the current RA timer and the new one.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    I would say no, specifically because there are traits and other buffs that fall away as soon as you exit red alert mode... having that happen by accident mid-fight, just because you're turning around, say, or got hit with that Viral Impulse Burst ability and flew out of range... might be a balance issue.

That could very easily be addressed with a shorter RA timer. Simply add some code to those traits that ensures the buffs do not zero out until X seconds after RA drops, where X is the difference between the current RA timer and the new one.

Good answer in theory, but the odds of Cryptic getting that working properly are very low :(
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It probably has technical reasons you have to remsin in combat mode for a while after the enemy is gone, but I agree that BOFF or captain skills should not randomly put you there.

I'd like to be able to manually set 'red alert' status and also disable it at will (which would drop shields for instance). That is unfeasible for the game but I'd like it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    Yes
    Funnily I was going to make a post about this at some point. The red alert is too long and frustrating when you need to go from one area of the map to another fairly quickly in a combat situation. It's totally pointless, and doesn't actually make any logical sense.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I've long advocated for a Trait called Bridge Synergy or whatever, that, when slotted, reduces Red Alert cooldown to 7 seconds. You want it reduced, you have to give up something to get it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Yes
    ltminns wrote: »
    I've long advocated for a Trait called Bridge Synergy or whatever, that, when slotted, reduces Red Alert cooldown to 7 seconds. You want it reduced, you have to give up something to get it.

Agreed!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Yes
    garaffe wrote: »

Good answer in theory, but the odds of Cryptic getting that working properly are very low :(

You unfortunately have a very good point.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Yes
    Reduce, or maybe give the player an option to turn it off early manually--with consequences, certainly, make it so that you can't properly fight back, maybe? But something. Because it's really, really frustrating to finish combat, and then have to wait extra time before you can kick in full impulse again, especially on larger maps. I would happily accept a penalty for prematurely ending red alert in combat if it meant I could get moving again faster when combat is over.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Reduce, or maybe give the player an option to turn it off early manually--with consequences, certainly, make it so that you can't properly fight back, maybe? But something. Because it's really, really frustrating to finish combat, and then have to wait extra time before you can kick in full impulse again, especially on larger maps. I would happily accept a penalty for prematurely ending red alert in combat if it meant I could get moving again faster when combat is over.

That's what I meant, a 'alert toggle' of sorts that lets you switch from 'red' to 'green' with the latter lowering your shields. Many of the classic Trek games allowed you to remain at no alert ('green'), just raise shields ('yellow') and battle stations ('red').

STO doesn't really warrant anything that'd require you to lower your shields, but as a sort of "penalty" for getting away it might work.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Indifferent.
    I could go either way, with one exception, and it's been mentioned already. Sci Captain skill Scattering Field locks you in combat for a long blasted time. If we could reduce that, I'd be happy, but otherwise, not sure. Perhaps the reason is something like the cloak detection for PvP, but I don't really PvP so I don't know if that's really a valid reason.

I'm thinking of certain TFOs where it's helpful to have speed to get between points (To Hell With Honor) that would not be balanced the same if we could go Full Impulse sooner, and that may mitigate the tactic of clearing out turrets along the way. Just one example of many, I'm sure. Similarly, sprinting in combat has a more limited duration, and that could throw off the flow of certain queues. Although maybe in Miner Instability, it might make it easier to get to the Gorn before they get knocked out, so...I dunno.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Whats funny about this is that Red Alert used to by much longer. it was shortened years ago to the point its at now because people complained.

Yea, but what is weirder is that red alert was something the captain chose to turn on and off at will. We are the captain. We should say when and if it goes. Why not add a system of alerts we can use. That would probably have been useful to balance out the old crew logic to get them in place. Assuming we had some sort of 2d/3d map of them running around the ship. Then it could get them in place to carry out their jobs in relation to combat.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    No

This is my answer. Shortening red alert would seriously cripple some traits and their usability.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2021
    No

Yea this is a very good reason it's just fine as it is.

I think most are suggesting it's too long simply because we've been at Red Alert since last Tuesday, and long for peace in the Galaxy.

;)

It's too bad the Borg Queen wasn't nice, friendly, kind, caring, and friendly; she trying to steal the title from the true Queen who kindly delegates all her tasks to Book, and gives him free will on her ship.
    0zxlclk.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Yes
    At the very least it would be nice if they decoupled the full impulse from red alert status to some degree.
This discussion has been closed.