test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vault Ensnared Remake - Are you nutz?

doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
So I like the remake in general but don't get upset if people are sitting for 7 minutes when they web the station. No bonus marks for that and on top of that if you don't engage in fighting the station gets webbed in faster and you save over a minute for the same amount of marks. Does anybody who makes these TFO's actually think about it?...
C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2021
    What makes me nutz is if they boost enemy resistance everywhere further, penalizing the 5-50k DPS players the most, while it won't even scratch those in the 100k-500k range. That to me, be just pure raw silly at the finest...

For example:
    Yet my new Delta Recruit is trying to do Dyson Sphere and just got to 42 with Mk X Very Rare Gear doing every single Mission up to Tower Control; yet can't even scratch Voth without repeated deaths. And yet they also regenerate far faster than I can scratch them too, all the missing lower level mission you'd previously be able to do at lower levels (now you can't access them till 65) so ehem, heheh... I mean we shouldn't be getting to Sphere before level 50 at least, perhaps then I'd have a bit more Pen with weapons or Shield, also Voth to were 8 levels senior to me so that too makes a huge difference as well, since their HP is far higher than mine, among other things.

So that to me is kind of funny, but can be resolved in 2-3.5h depending how many TFOs you play. :)

I'm was almost tempted to just delete my new Delta, as I already had 1 Delta from ages ago, along with 1 of every other Recruit. Now I'll just have to put a *big pause* on advancing missions, and just run TFOs till I'm at least closer to 50 to earn several more skill points, then perhaps try it again. Only takes a few hours, and when I got to Voth at 50 with all Fleet Mk XII Gear the difference was remarkable; since he was created I had saved all my Dilithium up possibly just for that reason alone. As I noticed once before another toon had previously experienced that similar thing getting there before 50.

*sigh*

But to your point, I wished they had done far more to Vault Ensnared to make it seem or least look or feel a bit different changing the Nebulae color...

I'd love to see more of the dark grey dots there too, rather than so many of the bright grey, though I think they may have done that in fact!

Just too bad they hadn't reduced their size a by by 20% reducing the size of those dots (blocking) view by few pixels too, so they make it a little bit more visible inside (still the fog of war there is too great) and needs to be easier to see. I know some who don't have the best sight, so they avoid that Nebulae for that reason, yet now the end boss fight takes place there.

And if you Collapse the Tholian Web, that should also give bonus marks; I'm not sure if it does, yet it certainly very well should!
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I think that if the Vault gets fully webbed, it should constitute mission failure. I really hate how they are getting rid of mission failure possibilities from TFOs.

I thought it was originally a failure if the Vault got fully webbed, but I have no first hand experience because it has never happened to me.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    I thought in phase 2 there was supposed to be bonus marks awarded based upon the degree in which the team prevents the weavers from completing their web around the vault ?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    I think that if the Vault gets fully webbed, it should constitute mission failure. I really hate how they are getting rid of mission failure possibilities from TFOs.

I thought it was originally a failure if the Vault got fully webbed, but I have no first hand experience because it has never happened to me.

Originally, if the Vault became fulled webbed, a cutscene would play where Obisek ordered deployment of an omni-directional thalaron blast to prevent it from being dragged into another dimension - I don't remember if it also caused mission failure or not, though.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Tholians in Azure got harder?!?

No, they didn't.

Not sure why anyone says this.. they're the same enemies they always were.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    tbf and just my opinion, I like that "enemies" are harder because well, they're supposed to be. Neither the Federation, Klingons and certainly not the Romulans are supposed to be these unstoppable forces that just obliterate everything they come into contact with. I'm not a crazy dps'er. I maybe dole out 20k, maybe even less. And yes some missions and enemies are harder to fight, but to me thats more realistic than get in, vaporize everything and get out lol. but to each their own.

That being said, i agree with the sentiment that lower dps players shouldn't have to be indirectly penalized because the content is not hard enough for players who do crazy amount of DPS. I mean they could always downgrade to some lower gear to make it more challenging.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    So I like the remake in general but don't get upset if people are sitting for 7 minutes when they web the station. No bonus marks for that and on top of that if you don't engage in fighting the station gets webbed in faster and you save over a minute for the same amount of marks. Does anybody who makes these TFO's actually think about it?...

Well, that's just consistent with all the newish STFs they've released in what, the last 2 or 3 years? Go in, do nothing, get rewarded because you can't fail and the queue runs on a timer, (visible or invisible), so I'm not surprised to be honest.
    It's an abhorrent way of making content, one that has reduced STO's playerbase to a bunch of clickers that cry and complain when "oh nooooooo, I have to make 3 jumps! This is unacceptable!".
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    As far as I am aware you do get bonus marks for each % range you keep the web down. This is how the old TFO worked, and from what I recall when getting 40% web on one run, and 60% on another, the updated version works the same.

I don't think I've ever seen below 40% however, so im not sure if keepint it down to 20%(if that is possible) gives more marks.

No you don't you never did. But feel free to test it in different version as I did yesterday. They way it is right now they encourage to play AFK since it takes less time to get to the end fight.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.

Well, that's just consistent with all the newish STFs they've released in what, the last 2 or 3 years? Go in, do nothing, get rewarded because you can't fail and the queue runs on a timer, (visible or invisible), so I'm not surprised to be honest.
    It's an abhorrent way of making content, one that has reduced STO's playerbase to a bunch of clickers that cry and complain when "oh nooooooo, I have to make 3 jumps! This is unacceptable!".

I agree but in this instance they actively encourage to be AFK because you actually gain a time advantage from that.

This pretty much sums it up, and is one of the main reasons that I play the game less and less each week. The lazy/boring designs of the more recent TFOs is really off putting for me. But there definitely seems to be a large portion of the player base that want a more casual (IMO boring) gaming experience.

This pretty much sums it up, and is one of the main reasons that I play the game less and less each week. The lazy/boring designs of the more recent TFOs is really off putting for me. But there definitely seems to be a large portion of the player base that want a more casual (IMO boring) gaming experience.
    I've long suspected that a lot of players aren't afk'ing these TFOs on purpose but have just fallen asleep unknowingly while playing them.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    [*] Crystalline Entity: Park 9.98km from the entity, turn on auto fire, and just walk away from your computer.
    [*] Bug Hunt/Infected Ground: Walk in a line and let a bunch of pets/spawnables do everything for you.
    [*] Infected Space: Scoot a little bit forward, then a little bit to the left, then a little bit to the right, and just auto attack.
    [*] Breach: Fly in a line and hold down space bar.
    [/list]
    I find that’s how I play the revamped CE not the previous version. The old one rewarded you for changing tactics and thinking about what you are doing, there was a reason not to fly up to the CE and walk away from the computer. I played the old one daily and wont go near the new one anymore unless its an endeavor. The new revamped one is so badly designed there is no point in doing anything but flying up to the CE and walking away from the computer with auto fire on. I find many of the revamped systems and TFO’s are massive downgrades and worse than what they replaced. CE and Breach are prime examples of revamps being worse with tactics and meaningful player interaction removed. Just sit dumbly firing. Breach is extra bad as the first part is basically made for a single player while the other 4 have nothing to do other then site AFK. The revamp version is by far the worst version.

New ones like Pahvo Dissension are a prime example of everything that is wrong with the current TFO’s and to me its those TFO's are the definition of lazy/boring design. That was where the devs started going so wrong with the designs. Pahvo Dissension and other auto complete, auto handout TFO's like it are just so badly designed, flawed and so boring to play.

While I love the concept of the Competitive TFO’s they failed and are so unpopular due to how badly deigned they are. It’s a shame the devs abandoned them just because players dislike Competitive TFO’s. The problem isn’t the concept. It’s the poor design, poor implantation by the devs. The idea itself is really good its the implantation that needs improving. Kind of like Synth Wave it’s a terrible TFO but the concept is really good and has great potential. Its just needs a proper decent design/revamp up to modem standards.

Its not all bad. While the devs got the revamp of the Vault wrong and made it worse. They devs did a good job with Azura Nebula and made that one much better.
    I agree but in this instance they actively encourage to be AFK because you actually gain a time advantage from that.
    Unfortunately, it was bound to happen sooner or later.
    I mean, tbf I don't mind if there's easier content and I'd love for the difficulty levels to actually matter for both normal and advanced, so that everyone can enjoy the game at their own speed - because not everyone enjoy high difficulties and that's fine! A game should accomodate all it's players, but yes: in this case, the crowd of the casual gamers are having the time of their lives while people that wants a challenge are left with fewer and fewer options with every new queue that gets released. It's... frustrating, to say the least.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2021
    I several months ago posted this previously which I had hoped they'd reduce the bright grey dots that block your view, with more of the darker grey ones as they aren't translucent so both block just as effectively.

xEdCCHZ.png

Perhaps they may they have added a few more of the dark dots though, which would have been nice. Perhaps asking them to reduce their pixel size a by 20% be too much. Still it's very nice to see them at least refreshing or revising some older TFO's, and I suspect we still may still yet see some final changes or revisions to Azure or Vault. Yet no way to be certain...

Still reman's seem to like the color purple, as that seems the color of the Lights on New Romulus in the lower city area's you can't access. Be nice to see a more purple-ish Blue Violet. Perhaps they can use this as inspiration.

BcDKFi1.png

Perhaps they give a bit more Blue or Purple feel to at edges of the more pink tones, yet it does appear more purple in the higher parts of the Nebulae. Maybe that's why the Reman's like the Vault, it's proximity to that color Nebulae likely why they built the Vault floating on the Asteroid nearby. :o

Though I always wished they'd let us go down using the turbo lift in the Embassy or New Romulus Command. Yet I understand why they don't let Federation or Klingons visit as you can recruit Romulan Bridge Officer's that wouldn't be usable, yet if you got one you could always use Shared Bank or Mail to give to a Romulan toon.

Be lovely even to see a Embassy 4 extend the turbo lift to the Reman level. Think that be amazing!
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    I have this same issue.... except with the older TFOs
    • Crystalline Entity: Park 9.98km from the entity, turn on auto fire, and just walk away from your computer.
    • Bug Hunt/Infected Ground: Walk in a line and let a bunch of pets/spawnables do everything for you.
    • Infected Space: Scoot a little bit forward, then a little bit to the left, then a little bit to the right, and just auto attack.
    • Breach: Fly in a line and hold down space bar.
    Despite supposedly being team based activities, many of the older TFOs are so poorly designed a single person can AFK, or nearly AFK, them and still get the maximum reward. The problem with them is that there is no objective in these TFOs beyond just "kill everything as you run into it" which allows a single person with high DPS to sleep through it by themselves. Which in turn also makes many of them so short its impossible to enjoy playing them as its over before you can really do much of anything. "Do nothing but shoot" is the definition of lazy/boring design.

By comparison, in TFOs like Operation Riposte, Mycelial Realm, Pahvo Dissension, Gravity Kills, the Competitive TFOs, the objectives are set up in such a way that its impossible for one person, no matter the DPS, to complete them all in the time limit.
    • No one person can simultaneously defend all three troop transports, while also shooting down all the missiles, in Operation Riposte.
    • No one person can simultaneously purify all three lanes in Pahvo Dissension in the time limit(I would also like to see one person manage to defend all three of the crystal tower roots while killing both bosses).
    • No one person can get all the particles needed to power the disruption weapon, and destroy all three of the stations, and defeat the final boss wave in the optional time limit, while also protecting the Jupiter, in Gravity Kills.
    • You literally can't do the Competitive TFOs by yourself, since the objectives require more then one person to do things like pull the locks on the doors to open them.
    • One person can't tear down all the vines protecting the probes and disarm them in the time limit in Mycelial Realm.
    Team based activities that actually require a team to successfully complete the objectives, this is how TFOs should have been. Most of these TFOs being defense based, instead of offense based, also means that you can't just DPS the TFO to completion in three minutes. Making what its supposed to be a 12-15 minute thing actually least 12-15 minutes. You can have some feeling regarding playing it... because it actually lasts long enough to play.

TFOs actually started getting good on average with the Lukari TFOs. Though some of the older ones like Battle of Procyon V, Borg Disconnected, Gateway to Grethor, and Undine Assault, are still ok. Even if they need a few tune ups.

I was mainly talking about the heavy use of timegates in these new TFOs. Take Synth Wave as an example. All you have to do is warp in, launch pets, and wait. The entire team could do this and the TFO would auto complete, no problem.

On a side note, I think you have a very low standard for "team tactics".
    ]I was mainly talking about the heavy use of timegates in these new TFOs. Take Synth Wave as an example. All you have to do is warp in, launch pets, and wait. The entire team could do this and the TFO would auto complete, no problem.

There's nothing inherently *wrong* with that. It's almost, but not quite, the same problem with Contact Rocket Launch -- it 'expects' participation, but that participation doesn't really amount to much in return. Either the time it takes is fixed, or the rewards are largely fixed. People really go AFKing with Rocket Launch because it's both, but either one is enough for many players to get annoyed. And why wouldn't they? If it's something we're expected to do many, many times, it really can't have those kinds of static elements.

Give players a way to speed things up. Give players a way to earn notably (not paltry) increased rewards. When our participation is rewarded commensurate to the amount we participate, we'll participate. And if our participation is largely symbolic, we'll stop participating. It's basic human behavior.

Naw stop it now silly, that would mean the epic mk xv upgraded gear where you put time and or money in would actually make sense and give you an advantage... nah nah nah that would make sense so please...

I was mainly talking about the heavy use of timegates in these new TFOs. Take Synth Wave as an example. All you have to do is warp in, launch pets, and wait. The entire team could do this and the TFO would auto complete, no problem.

Not only that but it encourages DPS chasing mentality, which is an inherently self destructive mindset. All that does is create elitism problems, as people rampage over each other to try to top DPS leader boards that serve no real purpose beyond E-peen. But because these people invested so much time and money into something that doesn't matter, they end up demanding content tailored to them, or for their DPS chasing, that the game never encouraged to peruse, to have more impact. But no dev will ever make content for that since the vast majority of players aren't DPS chasers, and thus, wont be able to play said content. That just makes said DPS chasers angry because they feel like they are owed something for their time/money, even though its a goal they made up for themselves, because they have convinced themselves that the game "made" them do it. Its far better for game communities overall for Devs to try to suppress/negate that mentality, to ween people off of it.
    How about people who are just trying to improve their game over time without doing anything fancy? This is a big part of any game. Surely they should have content available that feels challenging? IMHO there should be a variety of content available that appeals to a variety of tastes from new players to those looking for something more. It would be the something more category that's been lacking as of late. But that's just my personal view on things.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    “ only that they have SOME use of team tactics compared to the snore fests of the older TFOs like Crystalline Entity, and Infected Space”
    Accept far more players use Tactics, real team work between what each player is doing and player skill in Infected Space then Pahvo Dissension which is a complete snore fest where team Tactics and real team work along with communication don’t make any difference what so ever. I am all for arguing for more Team Tactics, I agree with you on that. But to use a map like Infected which is heavily ran in teams who do full team work, team tactics and player communication against a map like Pahvo Dissension which doesn’t use Team tactics and doesn’t allow any team tactics doesn’t make any sense to me.

In my expreince when Pahvo Dissension comes up that is the TFO the groups sleep walk though as it’s so basic and badly designed lacking any real team work. When Infected Space comes up that is the one where people start paying attention as team work, team tactics and player communication make a difference.

“Allowing people to bypass, or reduce, the time gate as Suggests only defeats the purpose of having a time gate at all.”
    Time gates are ok or even good when used correctly. But to make all time gates fixed without a way to reduce them is poor old-fashioned design. It doesn’t defeat the purpose of the time gate. In fact, having a time agate that can be modified both up and down can help improve team tactics, add reasons for players to communicate and work as a team.

“Not only that but it encourages DPS chasing mentality, which is an inherently self destructive mindset.”
    That is not an inherently self-destructive mindset and doesn’t automatically mean getting to the top of the leader board. For many is a positive mindset when done correctly it can promote team work, promote player communication, promote a sense of accomplishment, strengthens the community and increase team tactics and help reduce Elitism by working together.

“ All that does is create elitism problems, as people rampage over each other to try to top DPS leader boards that serve no real purpose beyond E-peen. But because these people invested so much time and money into something that doesn't matter, they end up demanding content tailored to them, or for their DPS chasing, that the game never encouraged to peruse, to have more impact. But no dev will ever make content for that since the vast majority of players aren't DPS chasers, and thus, wont be able to play said content. That just makes said DPS chasers angry because they feel like they are owed something for their time/money, even though its a goal they made up for themselves, because they have convinced themselves that the game "made" them do it. Its far better for game communities overall for Devs to try to suppress/negate that mentality, to ween people off of it.”
    Why do you often make up these fictional stories then unfairly paint an entire community in a false way. That’s very much what actual Elitist people do themselves, then again over the years I always found you have an Elitist attitude. You come across as trying to make yourself sound better then them. DPSers and Elitist’s are not mutually exclusive. DPS chasers doesn’t mean all the rubbish you put above, what you wrote only applies to a tiny subset of people not general DPSers or the community as a whole, yet you painted the entire community in a false negative way. Its no wonder so many people see you as having an Elites attitude.
    edited April 2021
    protoneous wrote: »
    How about people who are just trying to improve their game over time without doing anything fancy? This is a big part of any game. Surely they should have content available that feels challenging? IMHO there should be a variety of content available that appeals to a variety of tastes from new players to those looking for something more. It would be the something more category that's been lacking as of late. But that's just my personal view on things.

Agreed: there *should* be a variety of content available for as many "groups" as possible - i.e., the casuals that just want to have fun pew pewing stuff with minimum effort, the story/lore driven players that enjoys story content above all else, the ones that likes putting their skills to the test with challenging content, and so fort and so fort.

Right now, as far as group content goes, STO has very little to offer to anyone that wants to have fun while doing something challenging: no tactics required in the vast majority of queues, no need to do anything but dps unless you go for elites because support roles are more of an hindrance than anything else (especially with the endeavour system that may require one or more player to heal, in which case having someone else healing you is counterproductive), queues that goes on solely on a timer (visibile or otherwise) and will finish successfully regardless of what you do or don't.
    The endgame is basically non existent and while I do not expect to have raid-like content - and god forbid they even think about it: people would go ballistic because "how dare you put in content that I can't do by just clicking a few buttons?!" - but there's a difference between raids and mindless pew pew pew.
    In medio stat virtus.
    kv1Ohsx.png

No you don't you never did.
    No, I know for a fact you used to because I tested it some time early this year as part of a thread documenting TFO rewards, and how to make some TFOs better.

The difference between 40%, and 60% web, was like a bonus 10 marks for keeping it at 40% compared to 60%. As I recall, each one of the five stages(20, 40, 60, 80, 100) offers 10 marks less then the previous. Though I never saw anyone keep it to only 20% web, 40% was the minimum I've ever seen, so i can't say if 20% was different then 40%.

Proof it. If you know for a fact. I think I know for a fact that if there was extra marks to be made Cryptic would have used it the same way in the remake. That way they wouldn't have to figure out where to put the marks and how to do it since math isn't their strong suit. You are one of these people here on the forums who seem to know it all but provide very little if at all proof that you are right. So back up your "facts" or shut up. I'm tired of Forum Heroes who talk a bunch but by the end have on clue what they are actually talking about.
This discussion has been closed.