test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legendary D7

aeternaldreameraeternaldreamer Member Posts: 10 Arc User
Well, when it came out, I jumped on immediately buying the Legendary D7. It's a ship I always wanted a high level version of, an account unlock. I love many of the skins, but was delighted when I noticed it had a Romulan D7 skin as well. I made a TOS Romulan character even for the Delta event, I mean, why not? I wanted an excuse to use the Romulan D7 skin.

I was a bit upset though, that there were no Romulan ship bridges available at all. I'd have been content with generic Romulan bridge options. I contacted support about this, but I thought I'd also post this here, to see what the community thinks about the ships maybe getting Romulan bridge options instead of being stuck with only Klingon bridges. I really think that the Romulans would use their own aesthetics in the bridges and interiors.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    It would be nice to have the Romulan bridge/interior available for the D7. It would also be nice if the D7 could use some of the Romulan hull materials too. Might be worth mentioning during a Ten Forward Twitch stream.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    Another possibility would be having the regular Klingon bridge but with white light instead of the reddish Klingon lighting and possibly some Romulan style consoles.

The materials would be good in a general way, but I get the impression that the Romulans never made any D7s of their own so they probably would not have had anything newer than the TOS ones with the gray coating over their hull and the Romulan bird paint over that, and those were probably long since scrapped by the time the normal "now" of the game came along.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Another possibility would be having the regular Klingon bridge but with white light instead of the reddish Klingon lighting and possibly some Romulan style consoles.

The materials would be good in a general way, but I get the impression that the Romulans never made any D7s of their own so they probably would not have had anything newer than the TOS ones with the gray coating over their hull and the Romulan bird paint over that, and those were probably long since scrapped by the time the normal "now" of the game came along.

That would require creating a completely new bridge which, we know, Cryptic won't ever again do. However, usable bridges are already in the game - they just had to unlock every bridge for every ship, which must somehow work since cross-faction ships now show both factions can use both ship interiors. I do wonder what keeps them from just giving us all the bridges we unlocked and/or bought.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    It would be nice to have even more assortment of bridges, but Cryptic's decided that in almost all cases it's just too much effort for too little payoff in creating bridges.

At this point I'd just like for better utilization of even the current bridges across an account for starships to be able to use.

I do sort of see Cryptic's stance though since so little can be done on a starship bridge, I wish it was different but that's probably a Cryptic decision that was made long ago & would have to be somehow undone.
    edited April 2021
    angrytarg wrote: »

That would require creating a completely new bridge which, we know, Cryptic won't ever again do. However, usable bridges are already in the game - they just had to unlock every bridge for every ship, which must somehow work since cross-faction ships now show both factions can use both ship interiors. I do wonder what keeps them from just giving us all the bridges we unlocked and/or bought.​​

They actually showed that reason (or at least a part of it) on one of the video shows they do. It turns out that each bridge a particular ship can have is a separate line in the database and they have to manually type in the list of bridges for each ship. While I don't see why that is a problem with a brand new ship, I get why they might not want to go back and type all that out for all the rest of the ships in the game.

There was also a vague thing about streamlining and lag, but I don't know if that comment had to do with shortening the list or eliminating bridges altogether (or even whether that "lag" is from people spinning up a whole instance just for themselves going to their bridge if those are done as a sort of sub-instance of wherever they started from).

I agree though, it would be nice if they link more of the existing bridges in instead of that cast concrete looking monstrosity that they have been coming out with lately.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    They DO mean manually copy-paste, I hope? Because if they are actually TYPING TRIBBLE that already exists...no wonder the game is so TRIBBLE up.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • dragonturtletimmydragonturtletimmy Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    And for the Khitomer and Temer as well.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Honestly, it might be nice if they made a "generic" interior for each faction, where the geometry would be the same, but you could apply skins to match whatever aesthetic you liked.

So, a Starfleet interior would have the round bridge, center seat and such, similar to the TOS/TMP, but you could slap a TOS skin on it, or a TMP skin, TNG skin, or what have you.

A Klingon interior would be more like the Rotarran, with the captain's chair forward, two consoles behind and such... that you could then put the TOS grey with purple lighting skin on, or the classic red light interior, or what have you. Same for the Romulans, a generic interior with skin options for each era/aesthetic.

Of course, they won't do that, or ANYTHING with interiors, because apparently we don't want them (even though the subject KEEPS coming up on the forums).

That would be a major undertaking from what I've seen of their process. And the way the engine is coded, they can't even change ambient lighting on the fly. So to do something like that would cost a lot of time and man hours (thus costing a lot of money) and likely not get them anything back. So I think it's less likely to happen then a new bridge with existing interior. And right now at least there's not a whole lot that people would do on their bridges or in interiors.

And while I'm certainly not opposed to new bridges or interiors (or unlocking more existing bridges/interiors for ships) I just don't see it happening unless a few thousand people suddenly start buying up every bridge in the game.

As far as the forums, while the people on the forums (and some other sites) may be a vocal group, from what they've said, apparently we are a small minority compared to the overall userbase. They probably have statistics that give them a better idea how people play the game and what they spend their time doing.
  • aeternaldreameraeternaldreamer Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    If it wouldn't be much work, I'd love it if they could also add Romulan material options for skins, but I also sort of like the original version too, so I'd have characters use either.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    the bridge it needs is the STMP bridge. as for rom bridges, I would think being a Klingon designed ship, it would naturally have a Klingon bridge. I seriously doubt the roms would've been allowed to build D7s under licence
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
    edited April 2021
    the bridge it needs is the STMP bridge. as for rom bridges, I would think being a Klingon designed ship, it would naturally have a Klingon bridge. I seriously doubt the roms would've been allowed to build D7s under licence

I doubt the Klingons would have cared if they did copy them, but the remastered TOS clearly shows that the Romulans probably just took the tech and built (or rebuilt) their own designs with it since the warbird class that Kirk's ship was easily running rings around in Balance of Terror were chasing it at about warp seven just a year or two later in The Deadly Years.

It isn't until third season that the Romulans are seen using D7s though it isn't clear whether they were newly built by the Romulans or just the typical Romulan efficiency at work and they are the old ones they got in the trade pressed into service after the Romulans learned enough from examining them.
    Honestly, it might be nice if they made a "generic" interior for each faction, where the geometry would be the same, but you could apply skins to match whatever aesthetic you liked.

So, a Starfleet interior would have the round bridge, center seat and such, similar to the TOS/TMP, but you could slap a TOS skin on it, or a TMP skin, TNG skin, or what have you.

A Klingon interior would be more like the Rotarran, with the captain's chair forward, two consoles behind and such... that you could then put the TOS grey with purple lighting skin on, or the classic red light interior, or what have you. Same for the Romulans, a generic interior with skin options for each era/aesthetic.

Of course, they won't do that, or ANYTHING with interiors, because apparently we don't want them (even though the subject KEEPS coming up on the forums).

The Federation and Klingons have enough bridges that it probably would not be hard to find one that fits the geometry reasonably well (the Romulans would be the difficult ones to fit in that manner since there is only one Romulan bridge available as far as I have seen), so they would not have to make new ones in order for one to fit believably.

The D7 with the purple bridge lighting was actually Romulan, the TOS Klingon bridges used a plain gray back wall with a red grid in front of it (though film deterioration and restoration makes the color a bit off). To make the Romulan bridge look a little different they shined a purple light on that gray wall.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    Well, when it came out, I jumped on immediately buying the Legendary D7. It's a ship I always wanted a high level version of, an account unlock. I love many of the skins, but was delighted when I noticed it had a Romulan D7 skin as well. I made a TOS Romulan character even for the Delta event, I mean, why not? I wanted an excuse to use the Romulan D7 skin.

I was a bit upset though, that there were no Romulan ship bridges available at all. I'd have been content with generic Romulan bridge options. I contacted support about this, but I thought I'd also post this here, to see what the community thinks about the ships maybe getting Romulan bridge options instead of being stuck with only Klingon bridges. I really think that the Romulans would use their own aesthetics in the bridges and interiors.

TOS era bridges for the Warbird and D7 would be nice but sadly it will probably never happen.
    edited April 2021

TOS era bridges for the Warbird and D7 would be nice but sadly it will probably never happen.

I can see why they would not do a TOS era Warbird bridge, they are very cramped ships based on a German U-boat which would be hard to do realistically in a game like this without a first-person view option to keep the camera from catching on things or going behind walls. The Romulan D7 bridge, on the other hand, was probably intended to be the same as the Klingon version with slightly different lighting and maybe some difference in control panels but since no set was ever made for it there is no way to know for sure.

As for the TOS Klingon bridge, there is almost nothing to go by unless they use something like the Franz Joseph blueprints. The room they actually used for what little you see from the viewscreen is really one of the small engineering rooms on the hero ship set iirc (though it could have been Kirk's cabin, it has been a while since I read that and they both have that red-orange grid you see behind the captains) and no official D7 bridge was designed for TOS. The inworld explanation of course was that the Klingons didn't want anyone seeing what they were doing so they kept the bridge communication camera in tight like that.

Jefferies did intend the bridge deck to be in the kidney-bean shaped section and part of the round tower so the STO devs could always just use the outline of that assembly and fill it in with something original, or they could take the K't'inga bridge as their model for it, but they are not doing bridges anymore so that is rather moot.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    There was of course that Romulan bridge from one of the time episodes...you climbed up the steps, had a secret conversation in a room at the top, used the consoles to check on changes in the timeline, etc. I don't see why they couldn't reuse that, since it's already been created.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    There was of course that Romulan bridge from one of the time episodes...you climbed up the steps, had a secret conversation in a room at the top, used the consoles to check on changes in the timeline, etc. I don't see why they couldn't reuse that, since it's already been created.

That bridge is in use for player ships, it comes with the Scimitar line.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,497 Arc User

another reason why we should be able to use "any" bridge on "any" ship.

Yes! I'm usually one of the ones poking holes in "give me this request it's easy!" posts but in this case it ought to be. They are separate maps, and under the hood it shouldn't be much more than a link to the correct map ID. In the ship tailor it would be a bit more work to change the query to find all interior maps the player has unlocked, but that is one change for all ships.

CBS might object to a Tholian ship with a Federation bridge or Romulan ship with Xindi bridge, but if not it would be a nice QoL improvement.

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

I honestly thought we were getting that when they announced this "fly any ship" business. I thought my KDF Orions would be able to use a Fed bridge on a KDF ship, but not so. They are stuck with the red light specials.

Oh well. It is what it is.

I honestly thought we were getting that when they announced this "fly any ship" business. I thought my KDF Orions would be able to use a Fed bridge on a KDF ship, but not so. They are stuck with the red light specials.

Oh well. It is what it is.

The ironic part about that is Orions would probably have to use flashlights or nighvision goggles to even see in the typical dim red light of a Klingon bridge, their homeworld and most of the colonies they mention in the various series have hot bright stars and (at least in fanon) their vision is shifted towards the ultraviolet a little.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User

it actually threw me for a loop when i put it on my rom. I have that mycellium set and i'm out from the flotilla and I'm like WTH? I have a white warpcore? oh yeah, this toon has the SINGULARITY.. so it takes a minute to get the WC fro reclaim and lelevl it up... it was a SMH moment for sure
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    nixie50 wrote: »

it actually threw me for a loop when i put it on my rom. I have that mycellium set and i'm out from the flotilla and I'm like WTH? I have a white warpcore? oh yeah, this toon has the SINGULARITY.. so it takes a minute to get the WC fro reclaim and lelevl it up... it was a SMH moment for sure

really? you were able to put a singularity on a D7, or did I misread that
    WE SURVIVE!

• aeternaldreameraeternaldreamer Member Posts: 10 Arc User

I'm equally curious. I've only been able to use KDF skins, and never tried putting a singularity core inside my D7.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2021
    I think they said their toon only had a singularity, and therefore had to get the white Warp Core for the D7, or level another one up for them to fly it.
    0zxlclk.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    Hmmm don't the ships come with a warp core, not a very good warp core sure but should be "good enough" to until you get a better one from a mission or as a drop.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    My Klingon Recruit went immediately into the Legendary T'Liss after finishing with the starter ship. I used the entire Revolutionary Space Set on it with the Singularity Core. When I picked up the Legendary D7, I had to pull the Warp Core. It's nice having all these Account unlocks for the Account for new Characters.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    My Klingon Recruit went immediately into the Legendary T'Liss after finishing with the starter ship. I used the entire Revolutionary Space Set on it with the Singularity Core. When I picked up the Legendary D7, I had to pull the Warp Core. It's nice having all these Account unlocks for the Account for new Characters.

I usually pull the full Revolutionary set nowadays and put the "off" core in a ship in the manager so it is just a mouse click away if I need it since I tend to flip back and forth between Romulan and other ships a lot.

I'm equally curious. I've only been able to use KDF skins, and never tried putting a singularity core inside my D7.

next one that drops in a dse I'll mount it, just to see what happens
    WE SURVIVE!

This discussion has been closed.