test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a way to play 100% without a mouse?

bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
The reason i am asking is i am moving in a few weeks and my mouse is in storage. like the brain i am i wouldn't think i need it before i moved but yeah that wasn't the case. currently i am playing on my laptop for PC, and using the directional pad to see other angles of my ships view for targeting. is there any settings anyone knows of to bind these to arrow keys? just was curious.
klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    The laptop ought to have a trackpad that you normally use as a mouse. That you can use with Star Trek Online, though it may not be as convenient. For controlling your ship mostly via keyboard, I think setting the view control option (I forget the name, but under Options->Controls) to "follow target" and use the keyboard keys to fly the ship and track pad to activate powers. Might want to change some other targeting settings to make things easier. (I normally use things like "select attacker on attack" "tab selects offscreen targets", "only attack if target selected" and "select target on attack" or something like that.) The one thing a track pad may not have is a middle mouse button. Anything you normally use that to do, you'd want a secondary keyboard bind for.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    You only got one (1) PC mouse in your house? I think I have at least half a dozen, located in various drawers, boxes etc. Most of the time I replaced them so they're not 100% great, but they work well enough as a replacement.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    bcstar wrote: »
    The reason i am asking is i am moving in a few weeks and my mouse is in storage. like the brain i am i wouldn't think i need it before i moved but yeah that wasn't the case. currently i am playing on my laptop for PC, and using the directional pad to see other angles of my ships view for targeting. is there any settings anyone knows of to bind these to arrow keys? just was curious.

I'm pretty sure you can, you can remap most keys if not all. A few years ago I was staying at a hotel for a week & was using my laptop to play & I was able to play just using the laptop keyboard & keypad. I wasn't very efficient so I only played the minimum though.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    You only got one (1) PC mouse in your house? I think I have at least half a dozen, located in various drawers, boxes etc. Most of the time I replaced them so they're not 100% great, but they work well enough as a replacement.​​

How many mice should he have at home? The whole nest? Surely the one there is angers him, if he had as many of them there as you did, it would be crazy. In addition, they eat things and leave dung, it's not very healthy.
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Just go and buy a cheap mouse, they're not that expensive. You don't need a gaming one with 12 buttons and RGB disco lights, just get a cheap basic one.

I play on one of the cheapest Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo's on my laptop. Works great. Doesn't need to be expensive, just get a really cheap mouse.
  • Options
    bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone i have about a week to go till moving day, uh i have been using the directional pad for the most part. "almost" use to it now. i will just tough it out till i an unpack and get the desktop up and going. hehe
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    From what I've seen from attempt's to fully map a Controller, there are just some interactables that require mouse input. Usually we're talking about menu choices like DOFF system, though. Those being non-combat, can be done pretty easily on a laptop trackpad, I've done it before when I was traveling with a laptop.

Probably the clunkiest thing I can think of would be the no-gravity EV suit parts of Step Between Stars and Tenebris Torquent, where aiming camera up is necessary to aim the thrusters in 3D, and that is just way easier with two-mouse-button aiming. Even that's probably still doable if you take your time and use the RMB section of your laptop trackpad.

For what OP is specifically asking, yes, should be able to bind camera view keys in space to something, including arrow keys. Or maybe consider using just chase cam view for the short while this is an issue.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    I am incline to say without a mouse there are aspects of this game that would be extremely slow and irritating to accomplish without one.
    Making it kind of necessary to have one available for you.
    Just the thought of playing this game without a mouse would likely keep me from playing it at all if that ever happened.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

I have 5 entire gaming PC!!... who lives with just one??, animals?? :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Buy a cheap $10 mouse and be done with it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.