test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

List of restricted names question

athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
Is there any way of finding out online what names are restricted for captains and ships? I was planning on redoing two of my captains as Delta Recruits and since they are Tiaru Jarok and Kyla VanZyl, I wanted to avoid basically losing them if their names were put on restricted. I ask because I noticed you cant put Khitomer as a ship name. And I have been unable to check what is not able to be used in any other method.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    For character and ship names a simple way to find out is to choose a name and see if it's allowed. If you can type it in and it's accepted you should be good. This is the simple easy answer and no, there isn't a list published.

For a super duper complete answer though there are <certain things> you can't name your character after.

"Certain things" is likely far outside the scope of your question so I'd stick with the easy answer above and relax and enjoy your new toon with the name the game allowed you to type in.

Pretty sure <certain things> are covered in sections 4.6, 11, and 11.2 of the Terms Of Service.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    "Khitomer" is cut off probably by the existence of AFS Khitomer, first of the Khitomer-class Alliance cruisers.

I just don't get why you'd want to name your own captain after one of the NPCs that already exists in-game. (Well, except for Tovan Khev, because I really like all the people in Chat who complain about him when I show up... :smile: )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Speaking of the restricted names list, does it apply only to the public "display name" anyone can see just by targeting you or does it apply also to the name you type in part that people see only thru inspecting.

Note:I'm just curious most my characters are named thru the random name generator so they should be allowed and none of my ship names have gotten refused yet.
  • athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Khitomer" is cut off probably by the existence of AFS Khitomer, first of the Khitomer-class Alliance cruisers.

I just don't get why you'd want to name your own captain after one of the NPCs that already exists in-game. (Well, except for Tovan Khev, because I really like all the people in Chat who complain about him when I show up... :smile: )

Because the two I mentioned are very enjoyable/lovable characters, I've had them for a long time, plus it helps me plan and decide what traits to give them. Luckily for me both were not restricted and I have two new Delta Recruits I already know how to set up! I don't think Khitomer however as a ship name should be restricted. It's kinda lame since sometimes when I don't know what to name a ship, I simply name it the first of it's class name for ease. Like I have VanZyl naming the first ship Miranda because I don't know what to call it otherwise.

(T_T)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    AFAIK, the restrictions are limited to main cast of the shows, and the names of the hero ships plus, oddly the name monitor. which I think is because Monitor is the name of a defiant class ship in the Shatnerverse books and those seem to be very taboo in STO
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    AFAIK, the restrictions are limited to main cast of the shows, and the names of the hero ships plus, oddly the name monitor. which I think is because Monitor is the name of a defiant class ship in the Shatnerverse books and those seem to be very taboo in STO
    That last would be a simple matter of concern over trademark issues; Cryptic's kind of gun-shy about that ever since Marvel tried to sue over the character creator in City of Heroes, way back when. (Suit was settled out of court; apparently, Marvel's case was weakened when it was revealed that all the case evidence they provided involved characters created by Marvel employees, kind of muddying the trademark waters.)

And no, it's not copyright. You can't copyright Monitor as the name of a ship, since it's been used in the real world; you can, however, attempt to claim trademark over naming a ship in a Star Trek-based story Monitor. Most folks wouldn't, but Bill got litigious in his old age, so why take chances?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    athan#5519 wrote: »

Because the two I mentioned are very enjoyable/lovable characters, I've had them for a long time, plus it helps me plan and decide what traits to give them. Luckily for me both were not restricted and I have two new Delta Recruits I already know how to set up! I don't think Khitomer however as a ship name should be restricted. It's kinda lame since sometimes when I don't know what to name a ship, I simply name it the first of it's class name for ease. Like I have VanZyl naming the first ship Miranda because I don't know what to call it otherwise.

(T_T)

Well the name sake of the Miranda-class is probably no longer in active Duty so mistaking your ship for an NPC is not likely, AFS Khitomer on the other hand is brand new and very much in Active duty as an NPC ship.

And most of the forbidden names are "in-game NPC names or prominent lore ships" like you can't name a ship the Enterprise forcing those who want to do that to employ creative misspellings.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    The only hero ship whose name is not blocked yet is actually Discovery. Probably because STO came out before Discovery so it wasn't a hero ship yet. But they did block Titan, which at the time was only in novels. I actually have a ship or two named Challenger. Mostly NX class though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    "Khitomer" is cut off probably by the existence of AFS Khitomer, first of the Khitomer-class Alliance cruisers

Even before the AFS Khitomer, there is the USS Khitomer that appears in the 2409 Starfleet Tutorial. The one where you help that ship's EMH, voiced by Zachary Quinto of Kelvin Timeline-movie fame. And numerous references in the TV shows to the Khitomer Accords probably made it so they wanted to keep that from being overdone.

Generally, it's onscreen stuff they've tried to limit, like Enterprise, Kirk, Picard, etc. But yeah, I think the only way to know is to try doing it and see what happens.

Although now that I think about it, as far as OP is concerned, if you had a character before, you should be able to get the name again. Reason being that those names are in-game only characters, not TV/Movie ones. And likely if those characters had been put on the ban-list since then, they'd probably already have been force-renamed to "BadName" or something like that, much like they do with offensive names that sneak through.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
    > @reyan01 said:
    > Creative...... that's one word for it. And it isn't the word I'd chose to use.

Well I was trying be polite about it.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User

I know you can still us Discovery which I am surprised about when the rising corrvette came out I had number 69 on it now when I try and use it I get it is reserved
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »

I know you can still us Discovery which I am surprised about when the rising corrvette came out I had number 69 on it now when I try and use it I get it is reserved

With that number it probably gets bounced by the profanity filter rather than being reserved for copyright purposes.
This discussion has been closed.