test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In-Game Optimization

captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
After having a series of problems with trying to get into the game from the launcher (the black screen that can't load in the Cryptic, with the swirling busy cursor), I've had to use the Safe Mode option to proceed past this blank black screen.

The only time that I know of where you have the option to optimize the game without an external program (such as NVidia's GeoForce Experience, if that was allowed to be able to optimize it) is to effectively redownload the game. Because the only time is when you first launch the game after download.

Of course, this could be avoided if the game had an optimization button available in-game. This way if players had to go to Safe Mode, or they bought a new graphics card and/or monitor/TV for their computer, they can easily be able to get their game back up to speed graphics-wise without manually fiddling with all of the settings to get it back to the optimized settings.

Comments

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    +1
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    You mean the screens where you set the brightness and stuff? If you delete the gameprefs file in sto's directory it should prompt you again for all that.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    That's the thing, you'd have to go into your files, look up these game prefs to delete. But people, like myself to be honest, do not know this.

Like I've said before, it would be optimum for the player to have a button to click in the Options UI so they can optimize in-game. Would a player be able to be in the game, delete the files while the game is still active? Or would you have to reload the game to be able to play the re-optimized game and then run into another Black Screen?

Besides, being able to optimize (without having to mess around with the files) would enable the player to experiment with the settings while being able to easily go back to the optimized settings with a click of the button.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    The exact location of the file varies depending on which launcher you installed with (Arc, Steam, Epic or stand-alone, ) so I can't give exact how-to on that (beyond Steam, which I use.)

I think you have to be out of the game for it to register, but it should work the same as re-install of the game, just without having redownload things, so if it works the first time you install the game deleting that file should work too.

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Is there more than one gameprefs files in the game? It took a while, but I found one and deleted it (it was under "local files"). Optimization was not offered, and the settings wasn't affected, which makes me wonder if there's more than one set of these files.