test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game hangs on character selection or switching characters

rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
The game frequently hangs on me when first logging in or switching between characters. When I first login, it will often hang at the character selection screen - my last selected character doesn't appear and /netgraph 1 shows a 2000ms ping that is just "frozen." Sometimes if I wait long enough - 5 minutes or so - it will "unfreeze." Otherwise, I have to exit the game and delete the contents of the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient" folder to get it to login and not freeze the next time I load the game.

I've tried disabling on-demand patching in the launcher, deleting my gameprefs file - every fix I could find online. Nothing seems to work. My internet connection is fine and my PC (Surface Pro 5 -2017 edition) is otherwise unchanged. So, it must be something with the game client itself.

Please help! I can't keep exiting the game every time I want to switch characters! :(

@RCK01

Comments

• rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    Note: Also happens just switching maps. For example, I just loaded a patrol mission, and during the map change from Qo'nos shipyard to the Rescue and Search patrol, the game hung with the same behavior. Ugh!
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Have you tried turning off On-Demand Patching, turning on Force Verify, saving those options, and then patching to see if it works? Glad, that you also deleted the gameprefs file. Otherwise, you will have to play through Safe Mode which is in the Options section of the launcher and change your settings after getting back into the game. Also, do you play through the STO launcher or Arc? I suggest playing through the stand alone launcher and not Arc. Thanks. )
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    Thanks for your reply. I did turn off the on-demand patching, though I didn't do a "force verify." I run directly from the launcher - no Arc. Interestingly, using a VPN (TunnelBear) seems to have alleviated the problem. So, it sounds like some kind of network routing issue from my end to the Cryptic servers. I'm overseas (Mauritius), and I normally used the EU proxy for gameplay. However, I'm now tunneling into the US and loading with no proxy and it's at least working reliably, if with a bit more lag/ping delay than I'd like.