test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward Weekly 04/14/202

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
From Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/mr4sgb/ten_forward_weekly_14042021_jovian_raider/
  • In regards to "unimplemented canon uniforms" - they're aware, they, remember, items are in backlog... but may not be priority. It artists aren't drawing them, it meant that they're drawing something else. Particular problem is that uniform should fit all various body styles.
  • They're still somewhat troubled about how best to implement Lowed Docks' art style ingame.
  • CBS hadn't send raider's model to Cryptic, they had to work from still "orthos" shots.
  • Strictly speaking, it's not "jovian", they're from Saturn, but Cryptic felt that they can afford the slight misnaming enough.
  • They didn't want to name the ship "titanic raider" because 1) they already made Titan recently 2) (humorous) "Titanic" has some unfortunate connotations.
  • They felt that they need to release tactical ship to balance classes.
  • Task to remake klingon tutorial bridge to be regular was put into schedule.
  • Lack of cloak on a prime intel ship is a deliberate design choice for a "lockbox weirdo".
  • Console, experimental weapon and trait are based around the fact that ship was used by scavengers.
  • Ship comes with pink tetryon weapons that aren't special in any way other than colour.
  • As a concept test, experimental weapon has passive stats.
  • Trait reuses Kobayashi Maru logic with giving out buffs.
  • You'll only see buff pickups that are intended to be for you.
  • They tend to release things in waves - "beam overload" wave, "space wizardy" wave, ets.
  • Jeremy is aware that Surgical Strikes need some love.
  • They're considering possibility of "refunding" some time for ability that places a mark (like "overwhelm emitters") if target from dies before duration ends.
  • XBox getting new promo event "soon".
  • They're doing steamlining and reevaluations about increasing max numbers of various slots, but not in a foreseeable future - the reason there are for current max limits is strain they put on servers.
  • Jeremy promised us that when they would create T6 Oberth, its internal name would be "Fatum class".
  • After another prompt about "evil races" and Jeremy's remark that we kinda already have gameplay-induced murderfest, they talked about the ludonarrative dissonance and that in actual story killcounts are much lower and not every defeat is fatal, ets., and would've they made game with current knowledge and experience they would've made visuals of ships merely going dead in space, launching escape pods and such, alongside with tweaking the gameplay itself.
  • Usually its easier to rebuild ship animation from the scratch, rather than adapt existing one.
  • No things to announce right now, but Lower Decks' ships are coming to STO sooner rather than later.
  • They don't have systems that allow characters to hold the items properly fully fleshed out, and it's made worse by characters coming in large variety of sizes.
  • Because of that, props are usually somewhat bigger than they're supposed to be.
  • If/when they remake Dyson destroyers to T6, they'd likely to retain same consoles, just would receive passives.
  • Items from "Angel's wake" lockbox were supposed to be added to the infinity lockbox alongside with the raider.
  • More DIS S3 ships are coming.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Thanks for the recap.

Surgical Strikes doesn’t even ‘need love’ it just needs them to undo the terrible and pointless nerf they slapped on it a while back. It made no sense, and their ‘fix’ was absolutely terrible.

I hope they address it sooner rather then later. Making Surgical Strikes actually viable has some exciting implications for build diversity for all directed energy weapon builds.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Items from "Angel's wake" lockbox were supposed to be added to the infinity lockbox alongside with the raider.

To continue that: Borticus said that those items will be added later and that them not being added was an oversight that wasn't caught in time to have those items added to the Infinity Lockbox tomorrow. I'm personally hoping it'll be fixed patch after that (as there are traits I want), but he didn't say exactly when.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    They're considering possibility of "refunding" some time for ability that places a mark (like "overwhelm emitters") if target from dies before duration ends.

This would be nice. I can't say how often I pass on even slotting certain abilities to say nothing of actually using them because they probably won't get the full effect, and thus won't be worth the slot over a self buff.

Another idea would to just have it transfer to your new target after the first blows up.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    They felt that they need to release tactical ship to balance classes.

REALLY??? There aren't enough Tac ships already?
    If/when they remake Dyson destroyers to T6, they'd likely to retain same consoles, just would receive passives.

This is good news to me, but I don't like the "If/when" - makes it sound like it won't happen for years, if at all.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    garaffe wrote: »

I assume that's in reference to ships that have been released recently, which I believe have been mostly Engie and Sci heavy.
    In regards to "unimplemented canon uniforms" - they're aware, they, remember, items are in backlog... but may not be priority. It artists aren't drawing them, it meant that they're drawing something else. Particular problem is that uniform should fit all various body styles.
    At least there's still hope.
    - Strictly speaking, it's not "jovian", they're from Saturn, but Cryptic felt that they can afford the slight misnaming enough.[]
    - They didn't want to name the ship "titanic raider" because 1) they already made Titan recently 2) (humorous) "Titanic" has some unfortunate connotations.
    Eh... I always associated Jovian with Gas Giants anyways.
    Task to remake klingon tutorial bridge to be regular was put into schedule.
    Looking forward to that. Its a very well done bridge.
    They're considering possibility of "refunding" some time for ability that places a mark (like "overwhelm emitters") if target from dies before duration ends.
    This would be nice.
    They're doing steamlining and reevaluations about increasing max numbers of various slots, but not in a foreseeable future - the reason there are for current max limits is strain they put on servers.
    Makes sense to me. Especially in a game as old as STO. Looking forward to seeing the outcome.
    Jeremy promised us that when they would create T6 Oberth, its internal name would be "Fatum class".
    lol Kael's got his own ship now.
    No things to announce right now, but Lower Decks' ships are coming to STO sooner rather than later.
    Still interested, although I think the California class won't be as soon. Think I heard something about that class having an ability somewhere.
    More DIS S3 ships are coming.
    Gonna be interesting to see, as well as any s3 inspired factional ships. I know by then pretty much everyone in the 25th Century is probably part of the Federation, but still... a 32nd Century D7 might be an interesting take on the design, kinda like how the Janeway was clearly inspired by the Intrepid.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    This is good news to me, but I don't like the "If/when" - makes it sound like it won't happen for years, if at all.
    As much as I would like T6 dysons I can understand their wording there.

When the dysons came out they were DESPISED for being "ugly", as well as the fused weapon slot, and the mode conversion thing. They weren't very well liked.

Easy fix: un-fuse the weapon slot and fix the bloody transformation bug. Also, the Romulan Dyson ships are some of the best looking ships in the game, and everyone can fly those. Plus, if they give the T6 Dyson (singular, no need for three versions, just one for each faction) a good enough trait it will sell.
    rattler2 wrote: »

I assume that's in reference to ships that have been released recently, which I believe have been mostly Engie and Sci heavy.

No. I just seems to me that there are plenty of tac ships in game already, so I don't see why they think they need to "balance the classes". Maybe someone can prove me wrong by determining how many tac, eng, and sci T6 ships there are in the game currently.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    As usual many thanks to, somtaawkhar & the reddit source, for the 10FW livestream synopsis. I have no intentions to gamble for this Jovian Intel Heavy Raider but based off of the episode I think Cryptic did a really good job flushing it out to enhance its presence within the episode & now in STO. The naming inaccuracy is sort of funny. Sort of seems like a short & sweet livestream from the CliffNotes.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User

When the dysons came out they were DESPISED for being "ugly", as well as the fused weapon slot, and the mode conversion thing. They weren't very well liked.

Easy fix: un-fuse the weapon slot and fix the bloody transformation bug. Also, the Romulan Dyson ships are some of the best looking ships in the game, and everyone can fly those. Plus, if they give the T6 Dyson (singular, no need for three versions, just one for each faction) a good enough trait it will sell.

No. I just seems to me that there are plenty of tac ships in game already, so I don't see why they think they need to "balance the classes". Maybe someone can prove me wrong by determining how many tac, eng, and sci T6 ships there are in the game currently.

People want new ships not just existing ships. See: the many threads about "no new KDF/Romulan ships"

If Cryptic releases a bunch of new eng/sci ships, people who like tac ships feel slighted. They also don't spend money since they already own the existing tac ships that they want.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User

People want new ships not just existing ships. See: the many threads about "no new KDF/Romulan ships"

If Cryptic releases a bunch of new eng/sci ships, people who like tac ships feel slighted. They also don't spend money since they already own the existing tac ships that they want.

New can also mean new T6 versions of T5 ships. A lot of people had a favorite T5 ship that they would still fly (or wanted to buy) if it was not obsoleted by the T6s. I would have gotten some of the TOS ships that they have as T5s for instance if they were directly T6 instead of expensive and/or difficult to get skins over a separately purchased T6.
    edited April 2021
    I would have gotten some of the TOS ships that they have as T5s for instance if they were directly T6 instead of expensive and/or difficult to get skins over a separately purchased T6.
    Most TOS/TOS Movie/TOS based ships except the Connie are available as regularly priced T6 Zen store ships.
    • Ranger/Paladin
    • Excelsior/Resolute
    • Daedalus/Nautilus
    • Perseus/Theseus
    • Gemini/Sagittarius
    • Miranda/Reliant
    The Oberth and Pioneer simply don't exist at T6 at all(at least not yet for the Oberth), but would be Zen store if they did.

I think the only ones that aren't normal Zen ships are the Atlas, and the Legendary NX skin.

True in that the T5s can be bought in various ways and used as a skin over separately bought T6 ships the same way the Lukari saucer can be used as a skin for the Dorito. My point is that it is significantly more expensive since you have to buy two ships and combine them instead of a single T6 (which can even be picked up for free with one of the coupons from some events).

Why should TOS fans be gouged $50 for a T6 that is no better than any other T6 that costs $30? It is not like they are some kind of enhanced hero ships, they are just regular T6.

On top of that, while the T6s are c-store some of the "skin" ships are only available via fleet and that only works if your fleet has the facilities, the provisioning, and requires one to have enough fleet currency and rank to get them, which are factors that don't always align depending on the fleet and character involved. Also doing it that way is a character unlock instead of an account unlock which is a problem in of itself.

If the T6 "future" ships of the pairs you list could be bought and already have the TOS skin available in the ship customizer without added expense the same way the Miranda/Reliant does then it would be an ideal solution to that problem of overinflated price and unusual hassle.
    Why should TOS fans be gouged $50 for a T6 that is no better than any other T6 that costs $30?
    They aren't? The T6 Miranda and Excelsior have the T1(Miranda) and T3(Exelsior) skins auto unlocked for free, and the Daedalus, Perseus, and Gemini, are all dil ships, not zen ships. The only one you have to spend Zen on is the Ranger.
    On top of that, while the T6s are c-store some of the "skin" ships are only available via fleet and that only works if your fleet has the facilities, the provisioning, and requires one to have enough fleet currency and rank to get them, which are factors that don't always align depending on the fleet and character involved. Also doing it that way is a character unlock instead of an account unlock which is a problem in of itself.
    Many fleet ships work this way in general.
    • Vor'cha
    • Kamarang
    • Ambassador
    • Emissary
    • Excelsior
    • Sovereign
    • Hermes
    • Promethus
    Among a long list of others.

The problem is only with the TOS era ships, not the 2270s-and-beyond (movie era) ones. In fact, I mentioned that if they handled the TOS ships like the movie era ships it would eliminate the problem.

Also, I know fleet ships are always character unlock, that is why I said that getting the fleet T5s as a skin was a problem because they are not account unlock the way buying a T6 c-store ship would be.

I just checked and none of those TOS/future pairs are in the c-store as single ships anymore, they have all been swept up into a $150 megapack and do not appear in the T6 and T5 tabs at all.

The ingame ship vendor still has some of them but that is a snarled up mess and the Ranger seems to be the only one that you can actually purchase of the TOS style ones (the dropdowns don't change the price on the bottom of the window so unless they are charging the same T6 price for both the T5 and T6 versions of the others they are not directly purchasable).

Any way you look at it TOS fans have a lot of barriers to purchasing the TOS era (not movie era, that is not the same thing) ships in a T6 form that no other fan category has to deal with in STO.
    edited April 2021
    Actually I did look and they were not there. The game crashed not too long after that (while I was going through the ship vendor with no filters just in case), but I doubt that would have had any effect (it turns out that apparently it did have an effect). Also, you show the Nautilus but was the Daedalus in the T5 tab too?

In the ship vendor it only had the "Temporal Battlecruiser" - aka Ranger for 2000 z and went directly into the future versions for 3000z (which added up is 5000 z or $50 in other words, a lot more than the $30 the fans of other eras pay) with none of the others showing except in the dropdowns on the future version ship entry. That is why I went back and cleared all of the filters and was slogging though the whole list manually again when it crashed.

And the problem is not with the total number of ships so your snark about it being the shortest series is totally irrelevant, it is with being able to get the the ones that already in the game as T6 without getting gouged just for liking TOS.

I rebooted and went back into the game and got the same results from the c-store, the only Fed TOS style ship in the T5 tab (there were none at all in the T6 tab of course) was the Ranger (which is the one I prefer anyway, but not at $50 ($30 for the T6 Paladin and another $20 to skin it as the Ranger). All of the "future" versions were there in the T6 tab of course, but in that form they are not that appealing.

The only change was the ingame ship vendor, instead of having just the Ranger as a TOS ship and ending at the fleet Kolhr when searching using "temp" as the key, this time it had the Gemini, the Perseus, and the Daedalus as dil ships at the end of the results line. Of course those last three still are STILL only character unlock so they have very limited usefulness compared to a standard non-TOS T6, even though the combination you have to use to make them T6 is more expensive than those other T6s.

So when all is said and done TOS fans STILL have to pay more than everyone else for a T6 ship of their preferred era, and on top of that, unless you get the whale pack all of them except the Ranger are character unlock in their TOS-like form.

So we are right back to my original statement about the situation, that "new" T6 ships don't have to be new designs and a lot of people would like the T5s already in the game upgraded to T6, like for instance those who want an affordable account-wide Fed TOS style T6 ship.

You would think that with AoY recruiting coming up later this year they would get at least one of the TOS style ones done.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
This discussion has been closed.