test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleet Woes on Console

pulpsmack#4226 pulpsmack Member Posts: 96 Arc User
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I am hoping I can get some better guidance than the trial and (mostly) error.

I returned after hiatus... maybe I’ll stay, maybe not. I avoided fleets for a long time and finally ended up trying my hand on my ALTs with bad results.

What I want: access to fleet ships (obv from an established fleet). Hopefully one with MINIMAL if ANY requirements to access store. IF some requirement is necessary, the FLEET stays on its updates and doesn’t require members to msg and hope their work wasn’t exploited.

What I got: 12/13 alts donated TRIBBLE never get promo, I lose interest and quit all contributing. Console Email is a joke and notification has not worked.

Any suggestions? When I play, I PLAY. I simply want reciprocation with no bs or having to rely on this awful email system. If I didn’t need to show up w 5 team members, I’d just make my own fleet and grind w my alts. I have hated the fleet experience on console so far
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    All fleet promotions must be done manually, by someone at a higher rank than you. There is no automated system.

You might have joined semi-active fleets where the people who can promote you aren't playing enough to be tracking who does what in the fleet.

I agree that console email is painful to use, but contacting fleet members is the only way to resolve this.

To any console players reading this, are you in a decent fleet that isn't full and where the leaders are actually logging in to promote new members? It might help to post here saying so along with (Xbox or PS4) (Fed or KDF) and whether the fleet expects members to do stuff together or just contribute some dil. Bonus points if you are high ranked enough to give someone else access to fleet stores.

(I realize we have a fleet subforum, but readership is very low and most console fleets don't post recruitment threads there.)
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I recently joined The Klingon High Council on a new Reman alt. I am not sure if you would classify the fleet as active. There never seems to be anyone showing up as online while I am online, but that doesn't mean much, and I have not seem the fleet holdings move much except for when I am donating. The leader is keeping their eye on things because once I reached a promotion threshhold, I sent an in-game mail and got my promotion the next day. New fleet holding projects are also queued up when one is completed.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    While I'm a PC player, for the most part fleets fall into the same categories no matter which platform you're on. The only advice I can give really is to find one you fit in with. If you're looking for a casual one, like you said in your OP, then you'd have to actually find one. Rather than blind ask to join, I'd say get to know some of the members of a fleet, and maybe even the fleet leader. Get a feel for how the fleet is.

I've been with the same fleet for years now myself PC side. I was a freelancer for a long time but I got to know this one fleet pretty well, and eventually decided to join up as I felt that they were pretty chill and I could fit in just fine. Nowadays its a pretty inactive fleet, with only a few of us left, but we keep the lights on in case people return or have new people come in, and I also make sure our currently active members know they can contact fleet leadership if they need anything.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I appreciate the tip to actives. Beyond frustrating
  • Options
    Another thing:

Alts have been awarded named ships (EG: Fleet Admiral Biggles has been given command of the USS Marriott)

Where are these awarded ships and how does a bottom-rank fleet member access them?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Another thing:

Alts have been awarded named ships (EG: Fleet Admiral Biggles has been given command of the USS Marriott)

Where are these awarded ships and how does a bottom-rank fleet member access them?

These are not fleet gifts to players. It's notifications of things players have done to their captain or bridge officers themselves.

If you promote bridge officer Lt. Woof to Commander, you might notice a fleet news notification saying that.

• Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Move on and enroll in another fleet. There is a recruitment section in other areas of the forums:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/categories/fleet-recruitment

Try that and ask before you join about requirements. Even in console there are some who dont even care about donations and will give you free access to fleet stores. Good luck!
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    Or you do what I did and start your own fleet. It takes a really, really long time to get anywhere with it, but you're beholden to no one anymore. Your projects, your resources, your call.

Okay, the amount of time is dependent on just how much you want to spend leveling your fleet. Faster can be done, but it'll get pricey. Fast. You can probably snag people for the one resource you can't spend your way through -- fleet marks. Lots of people are always looking for fleet credits and short on projects to invest in.

They can do that, but fleet holding XP projects all have time gates so it's going to take a long, long time to raise a fleet to the point where you can buy fleet ships, even if they're willing to spend hundreds of dollars or thousands of hours to grind out millions of dil that's need.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I am hoping I can get some better guidance than the trial and (mostly) error.

I returned after hiatus... maybe I’ll stay, maybe not. I avoided fleets for a long time and finally ended up trying my hand on my ALTs with bad results.

What I want: access to fleet ships (obv from an established fleet). Hopefully one with MINIMAL if ANY requirements to access store. IF some requirement is necessary, the FLEET stays on its updates and doesn’t require members to msg and hope their work wasn’t exploited.

What I got: 12/13 alts donated TRIBBLE never get promo, I lose interest and quit all contributing. Console Email is a joke and notification has not worked.

Any suggestions? When I play, I PLAY. I simply want reciprocation with no bs or having to rely on this awful email system. If I didn’t need to show up w 5 team members, I’d just make my own fleet and grind w my alts. I have hated the fleet experience on console so far

There are some fleets that allow fleet store access straight out of the gate, but I can count on one hand how many I've seen that will just give it away for free without requiring something in return. Reason being is that most fleet stores require provisions be created before anyone can purchase things from the stores, including the owners of said fleet themselves. Most fleets have minimum requirements to prevent leeching and at least attempt to cover the cost of generating provisions that may be used.

In my fleet I require 325k worth of donations before I will grant full time access to fleet stores. This is because in the earlier days of my fleet, especially when the Spire was released, we had a leeching problem. Folks would donate just the minimum and stop, then want to sit back and benefit from provisions they've done nothing to help generate, which wasn't fair to the rest of us. So I calculated how much it would take in terms of fleet credits donated to purchase a full ship of fleet items which included consoles, weapons, and even the ship itself and it came out to about 325k. I figure if someone is willing to donate that amount then they're probably going to stick around for a bit, and if not, then they've donated enough to cover what they take. If someone has not yet donated enough to gain full time store access but needs an item to complete their build or their progress stagnates, I grant a one time temporary unlock to members to get what they need. From then on however they must meet all donation requirements. In my book if someone isn't willing to at least contribute a basic amount of effort into generating provisions they expect to benefit from, then they are not going to benefit from them as that's not fair to the other members who do contribute. Far as work being exploited, point blank you are owed nothing by a fleet and each fleet is free to set its requirements however they see fit. Not trying to come at you but simply telling you how myself and alot of fleets operate. To alot of fleets, what you're saying will come off as you wanting to leech and wanting something for nothing.

As for the fleet news of "Johnny2x4@plank has been given command of (ship name here)" that's not the fleet giving those people those ships. Those people acquired said ship on their own and it showed up as fleet news. If I reclaim a ship from the cstore just to pull the console from it, sometimes it will show up that I was given command of a ship, because in essence I was, just not from the fleet. As for the promotion bits, I will say this much as well, fleet leaders are human. In my own fleets I try to stay on top of promotions and similar but occasionally I will miss one. All they need to do is drop me a note saying "hey can I get my promo" and they will have it.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2021
    Hope you found help with some of the suggestions above.

I can't offer help though, as we're only on PC.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    Good luck on finding a fleet. I was burned once, twice shy now
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    On finding a fleet...

Finding a fleet is sometimes can be a pain... but I would focus on what you do... Run a lot of TFO's... look at the fleet tags of people you see in them... team up with a couple and see how you fit in. Until I started my own fleet back in 2012... it was a mixed bag of fleets... the best advice I can give anyone... is find a fleet that does what you do... If you're into PvP, Role Play, PvE, Gridning... there is a fleet out there for you... it takes time to find them to be sure.

On the free access to the stores... having not been in a fleet for an extended period OP, you may not realize the work that went into unocking everything (PC gamer here) our fleet is lvl 85... everything unlocked... and it was a TON of work... ton of grinding... point being fleet leaders owe it to their members that have put in the work to have provisions available, as someone above pointed out... leaching is a real thing and can destroy morale of a fleet.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
This discussion has been closed.