test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Brightness control does not work

magusj01magusj01 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
I installed STO on a new computer yesterday and the Brightness control in the Display tab no longer does anything. I want to turn up the brightness, and the slider works, but it doesn't change the brightness at all.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled STO without any change, tested it in Windowed Fullscreen and Fullscreen modes with no change, and uninstalled and reinstalled my video drivers with no change.

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2021
    Mine works fine, but I'm not using the initial Screen Resolution setup; perhaps this is what you were speaking of?

When you in game, hit ESC then go to Options, select Display and under you will find Brightness. Select the ► ◄ (arrows) or move the cursor I set mine often to 90%, but as I just scrolled down to 79% it changed real time just fine.
    0zxlclk.png
  • magusj01magusj01 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    Mine works fine, but I'm not using the initial Screen Resolution setup; perhaps this is what you were speaking of?

When you in game, hit ESC then go to Options, select Display and under you will find Brightness. Select the ► ◄ (arrows) or move the cursor I set mine often to 90%, but as I just scrolled down to 79% it changed real time just fine.

Unfortunately, that's exactly the Brightness slider I'm talking about...in the Display tab. I can slide it or use the arrows, but it does absolutely nothing.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    stxqYRa.png

Try this then.
    0zxlclk.png
    strathkin wrote: »
    stxqYRa.png

Try this then.

Okay, tried that...files verified, no change. Brightness control still doesn't work.

I have, incidentally, confirmed that brightness/gamma controls in other games work fine. It's just STO that's doing this.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    By chance do you have Night Light in Windows active?
    By chance do you have Night Light in Windows active?

Nope. Double-checked it just now to make sure, definitely not on.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,995 Arc User
    My graphics card and monitor both came with software that appears to override any graphics settings I choose within a game and applies what they think should be the optimal settings for me to look at.
    This was often too dark or too bright.
    Neither software is currently present on my system and the brightness control ingame works perfectly for me now.
    It might be worth checking for yourself if there's anything interfering like I had on my machine.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,995 Arc User
    You've not said that you have tried in game options ..... Cog symbol next to mini map .... Display. There's a brightness setting in percentage just under the refresh rate setting.
    eazzie wrote: »
    You've not said that you have tried in game options ..... Cog symbol next to mini map .... Display. There's a brightness setting in percentage just under the refresh rate setting.

Yea, he did.
    magusj01 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that's exactly the Brightness slider I'm talking about...in the Display tab. I can slide it or use the arrows, but it does absolutely nothing.

My graphics card and monitor both came with software that appears to override any graphics settings I choose within a game and applies what they think should be the optimal settings for me to look at.
    This was often too dark or too bright.
    Neither software is currently present on my system and the brightness control ingame works perfectly for me now.
    It might be worth checking for yourself if there's anything interfering like I had on my machine.

I've checked, and if there is anything like that it's embedded in some other piece of video card software and can't be uninstalled separately. However, I don't think that's the case, as the brightness/gamma settings are working in other games. It appears to be just STO that's affected.

That's exactly the Brightness percentage/slider that I'm talking about. Changing it does nothing.
    I've checked, and if there is anything like that it's embedded in some other piece of video card software and can't be uninstalled separately. However, I don't think that's the case, as the brightness/gamma settings are working in other games. It appears to be just STO that's affected.

Unfortunately STO is affected by things that don't impact other games, like your neighbor sneezing. You could always try editing gamma in your gamepref file to see if that does anything.

Unfortunately STO is affected by things that don't impact other games, like your neighbor sneezing. You could always try editing gamma in your gamepref file to see if that does anything.

I tried that, and with a bit of experimentation determined that the Gamma value goes down as the Brightness value goes up. Fun!

Sadly, it didn't change anything. The game remains dark, no matter how 'high' I crank the Gamma value in the gamepref file.
    I'm guessing you may have already tried, but did you run the brightness calibration screen?
    I'm guessing you may have already tried, but did you run the brightness calibration screen?

Yeah. Same thing, I'm afraid. The slider moves, I can adjust the values, but the brightness doesn't actually change.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,995 Arc User

That's exactly the Brightness percentage/slider that I'm talking about. Changing it does nothing.

Apologies. I thought you meant the brightness slider on initial setup. My bad sorry

• dash#9119 dash Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hi - did you ever manage to resolve this - having the same problem.. everything is updated and verified.. in game brightness controls have no effect :-(