test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'd forgotten how much I hate the Iconian missions...

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,199 Arc User
So, still playing my Klingon recruit through the older content, I'm up to the Iconian arc now. As bad as the Vaudwaar arc was, this is even more frustrating. Space battles are bad enough, with the nonstop disable effects and instant kill solar zap things, but ground combat is somehow even worse.

The Thralls and Constructs are not the issue, it's the Defilers, Heralds and the Iconians themselves, spamming the giant area effect oneshot blast attacks, that cover the WHOLE FLOOR, so there's nowhere to go. Engage the enemy, Defiler appears, BOOM team wipe. Respawn, engage, BOOM team wipe. Repeat 30 or so times until the NPCs kill him. Move on to the next battle, same thing, again and again.

It's really frustrating and annoying.

I remember hating it the first time I played it, I don't remember it being this bad. Did they change it?
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2021
    Yeah I remember thinking in Assault on Terrok Nor, why have red space identified, if virtually everywhere you go if it's not red now, just wait 1 second. It's at least like that in the one area before you get down to the lower (old DS9 Bank/Exchange) area where you race against timer to disable the shields. :o

I'd love to see them redo Assault on Terrok Nor that used the NEW DS9 yet because the space has changed they might also have to reuse the Map for Ore Processing in the Gamma ARC mission against the Hurq who got aboard DS9 lower decks.

Still most of it can be resisted if you've at least tried to upgrade ground gear with:

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Phoenix_Prize_Pack

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Phoenix_Universal_Tech_Upgrade

Most first trade down all their higher tokens for Phoenix Upgrades; except perhaps Epic or Ultra.
    ╘ those give 2x Experimental Starship Upgrades during a Phoenix Event Weekend, also once every 3-4 months typically.

So save your Dilithium till you have 40,000 then consider a 10 Pack; and be wiser to wait to upgrade till a 2x Upgrade Weekend is on. Given that the last one was early-mid January just about the week or so after the of the Klingon Recruitment started; perhaps given they run every 3 months typical, we might see another following the Delta Event or week or so after it starts?
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    You should skip the entire arc.

Honestly, the recruit rewards are nothing you need and it's only to get harder as you progress. If you're struggling that much on Normal, save yourself the headache and just skip it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    You should skip the entire arc.

Honestly, the recruit rewards are nothing you need and it's only to get harder as you progress. If you're struggling that much on Normal, save yourself the headache and just skip it.

I know I'm not completing the Delta arc. i HATE the chase harry episode with the jump and shoot and get killed maze thing
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Constant disables from Herald ships: TBR + BFAW

Ground AoE spam: keep moving and dodge roll whenever you see red

Hyperonic radiation: Peak health and natural immunities ground traits
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Also, make sure you really are on normal difficulty, sometimes it seems to change on its own.
  • millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    Are you playing on Elite difficulty or something? I'm not a video gamer, but I got through the Iconian (and Terrok Nor) stuff without having to respawn at all. This game is very beginner-friendly on Normal and Advanced modes. I had a harder time playing old Nintendo games with my husband and son way back when.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    If you are struggling with radiation than pick up this trait:
    https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Trait:_Invigorating_Radiation
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Are you playing on Elite difficulty or something? I'm not a video gamer, but I got through the Iconian (and Terrok Nor) stuff without having to respawn at all. This game is very beginner-friendly on Normal and Advanced modes. I had a harder time playing old Nintendo games with my husband and son way back when.

Well old Nintendo (if we're talking NES or SNES) were really hard by design (well as hard as you could make them in the 8-bit and 16-bit era) as they were either based on or following the same design logic as arcade games (that were designed to be hard so that you'd spend more money on them).

It's possible to get locked into cycle of death in STO if your character is poorly equipped (especially in Delta Quadrant missions as there's a quite strong difficulty spike there), sure if I did those missions on my main I could soak pretty everything and not even loose my shields but with a new character (my KDF recruit to be exact) that you could die to the enemies.

That said I'd never heard of solar gateways 1 shotting, being a pain that in combination with other sources is quite dangerous and not in a fun way sure but not 1 shotting.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    It used to be harder because BOFFs would stand around in the red circles like idiots. Now they do often manage to escape them. Still the Iconians do use a lot of one shot abilities if you're not geared up well, especially if they crit.

My recruit went for commando spec first for the extra ground HP, knockdown and all that stuff to make melee easier, along with more HP. I was still getting one shot now and then by the ridiculous Defiler charges. For the carpet bombing circles, I found that just running to sniper rifle ranges works well. They don't seem to reach that far without moving.

Space is an absolute nightmare if you don't keep moving and stay at least 5km from the battleships, but if you do that it isn't too bad.
    edited April 2021
    garaffe wrote: »
    Constant disables from Herald ships: TBR + BFAW

Ground AoE spam: keep moving and dodge roll whenever you see red

Hyperonic radiation: Peak health and natural immunities ground traits

Can't TBR when all your skills are greyed out.
    Can't dodge roll out of the red when the whole floor is red.
    I have peak health and relevant immunities, it makes no difference.

Key to Iconians is to not get too close. Stay far enough away and you can see things like EMP probes or ground AoEs coming and take appropriate steps. If you keep the probe from reaching you with TBR you can destroy it with BFAW and never have to worry about getting disabled. If you are not right up next to the Herald, you will easily be able to avoid the large AoE with a quick dodge roll.

As for radiation, I would suggest bringing as many sci officers with you in your away team, and pack them with healing abilities.
    There are some very good rewards from the Iconian arc, so the frustration is worth it.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    garaffe wrote: »
    There are some very good rewards from the Iconian arc, so the frustration is worth it.

Yes but see above - the DRB manuals are bugged.

Well its not a universal bug. I made my Jem Boff (from the gamma pack) learn them without trouble, if I recall.
    There are also some nice item rewards including the temporal phase set, which is a must for a science/tetryon build.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    At least I know now why we get so many kiddy and fool proof mission or TFO's. All I read is I hate this I hate that be glad you got something that is somewhat a challenge in this game. I understand that some enemies are harder then other but think about it, it takes strategy a little bit of using the brain and you can solve almost anything in this game.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
This discussion has been closed.