test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

32nd century starfleet uniforms

captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
I assume we will start seeing more 32nd century goodies rolling out soon...

These uniforms, the great white shark hand phasers and that new constitution? Maybe even a flying rainforest?

A note: Please make the Shark Phaser have two modes. Fire mode 1, a phaser pulse but fire mode 2 a blue cutting beam, like the one Michael used to set the fire suppression system off on the Discovery.

https://youtu.be/wQ6HOVZM0p0
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I like the Predominate Reds, Blues and Yellows on these uniforms compared to the bland grey 32 century uniforms of Discovery's 3rd season, BTW I also have a Tal'Kyr Support Craft named the VSS Ni'var on my 23c Vulcan temporal agent main, simply because I find the idea that my people and the Romulans renamed our home planet after a 25th century shuttle to be funny.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    I guess the grey ones was just formal uniforms
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    I keep hearing about a 32nd Century Connie, but I don't remember ever seeing one. And yea... I think that the grey uniforms were either more formal or was the current style, with these new, colored uniforms being a form of Class B, kinda like how TNG had two uniforms running concurrent, with the TNG uniforms on ships and DS9 having their own, more loose fitting uniforms. So the greys would be more representative of Base or HQ personnel, and the colored being fleet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I keep hearing about a 32nd Century Connie, but I don't remember ever seeing one.

I only call it that cause that's what Owosekun called it when she saw it but it was off screen, I believe it's the Armstrong? https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Armstrong_type_(31st_century)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    i don't mind disco but honestly those uniforms are terrible ...
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I keep hearing about a 32nd Century Connie, but I don't remember ever seeing one. And yea... I think that the grey uniforms were either more formal or was the current style, with these new, colored uniforms being a form of Class B, kinda like how TNG had two uniforms running concurrent, with the TNG uniforms on ships and DS9 having their own, more loose fitting uniforms. So the greys would be more representative of Base or HQ personnel, and the colored being fleet.

True, the new colors vs. gray could be divisional, though they could also just be a "new" uniform to signify the start of the Federation reboot and the gray ones a sort of "widows weeds" version from the "death" of the Federation from the Burn.

The colored ones are definitely not the class B equivalent of the gray ones, they are both equally very stiff formal jacketed uniforms roughly equivalent to class A uniforms but without the visible decorations (though that could just be a "hide" function and a switch in one of the hard pieces could project the equivalent of ribbons and medals onto its surface or something similar easily enough). They are definitely not designed as a practical working uniform though they are apparently used as such on the show.

In contrast, the TOS uniforms were designed as comfortable work uniforms (the costumes themselves actually were not comfortable, the cheap velour they had to use was very hot and scratchy on set, but the idea was there) with several options available.

According to "behind the scenes" information the idea with the velour was that the fictional fabric of the uniform was "smart" enough to maintain a comfortable temperature by fluffing up the knap (similar to the way a cat stays warm buy puffing up their fur in the cold), and in the uniform overall by using static electricity in the environment along with built in electrical generation to advantage in heating and cooling in more extreme environments (which is one of the reasons why Sulu and the landing party did not freeze solid before blankets could be beamed down to them in The Enemy Within).

Comfort was also the reason for the raglan sleeves, they are far less prone to the binding which causes fatigue and irritation in some clothing like the jackets the DSC season 3 and season 4 designs have.
    I was using the Class A/Class B example because we do have an established, canon instance of Starfleet having two uniforms active at one time. This could be something similar, or it could be a transitional period. We don't know.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I continue to be frustrated by this 32nd Century nonsense. The game isn't set in that century, the material we get from that period should be VERY limited, perhaps only for specific missions. I mean, the game is set in the 25th Century. The 32nd Century is SEVEN HUNDRED years more advanced. That's like people in the 1300s having access to machineguns, tanks and nuclear missiles. It's entirely inappropriate for the period of the game.

I mean, I get it... it's what's on TV (whatever I or others think of Discovery, it is what it is), and they're just making use of that... but can they at least TRY to maintain some kind of logical consistency?

I know, I'm spitting into the wind, but I have to express it.

The sad part is that it really isn't any more advanced except for a few gee-wiz toys like the transporter badge and idiotic looking lack of struts and necks on ships and maybe a few other small things. The ex-empress was even able to tie one of the "advanced" computer systems in knots with a simple blinking trick and Discovery did just fine before its refit. Apparently all the wondrous things Daniels hinted at were lost in the long dark age of the Burn or something.
    Eh... I don't think Discovery did fine pre-refit. She could only eat 1-2 Quantum Torpedos before her shields would collapse, and that STILL shook the ship pretty good. And after that, she probably would have been oneshot without shields.

I'm just surprised that the UEDF didn't recognize that the tech and unforms were "backwards", being from the 23rd Century. They actually bought Saru's story. I think the only time someone actually noticed was when Book called Burnham's phaser an antique.
    I continue to be frustrated by this 32nd Century nonsense. The game isn't set in that century, the material we get from that period should be VERY limited, perhaps only for specific missions. I mean, the game is set in the 25th Century. The 32nd Century is SEVEN HUNDRED years more advanced. That's like people in the 1300s having access to machineguns, tanks and nuclear missiles. It's entirely inappropriate for the period of the game.

I mean, I get it... it's what's on TV (whatever I or others think of Discovery, it is what it is), and they're just making use of that... but can they at least TRY to maintain some kind of logical consistency?

That may make sense for ships but not uniforms, fashion is something else entirely, whose to say that these 32nd century uniforms weren't inspired by someone wearing something similar in the 25th century.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    reimu#1706 wrote: »
    i don't mind disco but honestly those uniforms are terrible ...

I agree. they all look like maternity clothes
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine

That may make sense for ships but not uniforms, fashion is something else entirely, whose to say that these 32nd century uniforms weren't inspired by someone wearing something similar in the 25th century.

A fair point... no reason you couldn't wear clothing that looks like something from the future... Although... if we're wearing that clothing NOW, wouldn't it change the fashion trends leading to the future, so the future clothing would no longer look that way?!?

Not likely with the amount of time involved. In TNG they changed uniforms several times in seven seasons, so fashion would have cycled thousands of times by then.
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    clearly in the 31th cent they lost their fashion sense along with their design sense and now they lack any creativity daniels was obviously lying

how they went from the awesome uss relativity or the enterprise J to this ill never know if anything the 31th cent seems far less advanced then what we saw before

not to mention the concept of banning time travel just don't work if you don't have a temporal agency you'd be erased the moment someone decides to mess with time real big brain move there starfleet :P
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    I want those grey uniforms

As those are the same style, just different colors... you'll get your wish when they make it in game.
    clearly in the 31th cent they lost their fashion sense
    *cough*TMP Uniforms*cough*
    clearly in the 31th cent they lost their fashion sense along with their design sense and now they lack any creativity daniels was obviously lying

how they went from the awesome uss relativity or the enterprise J to this ill never know if anything the 31th cent seems far less advanced then what we saw before

not to mention the concept of banning time travel just don't work if you don't have a temporal agency you'd be erased the moment someone decides to mess with time real big brain move there starfleet :P

Correction it's the 32nd century, Time travel was pretty common place in the 31st century, I agree that the time travel ban was stupid, plus the fact they couldn't even enforce it due to the burn, whose to say that the Time Travel ban wasn't invented by a future version of the Temporal Liberation Front as a final F U.
    Assuming the TLF was canon of course. But it feels more like the Tholians got their wish to me.
    edited April 2021
    Assuming the TLF was canon of course. But it feels more like the Tholians got their wish to me.

It was in some of Daniel's throwaway dialog in ENT if I recall correctly, and if so it is canon. There was no detail to the reference though so it is not even certain if the Suliban's temporal sponsor was a part of it or whether it was some other group.

As for the Tholians, I always wonder if they wanted the ban for reasons of their own so I don't really trust their motives on the subject.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    They want the ban because of what happened to one of their colony ships in the mid-23rd century as part of the AoY prelude.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    The inversion of colors is a save plus on the new 32c uniforms. That’s good.

Still I can’t help but shake my head. The entire cut of those uniforms seems to be aiming at hiding body shapes (oh and gender) as best as possible.

Loosing weight is clearly not an option in this time and age anymore. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Still I can’t help but shake my head. The entire cut of those uniforms seems to be aiming at hiding body shapes (oh and gender) as best as possible.

I think that's a plus. I really don't like that women are always forced into tight uniforms, I'd be so afraid to put on the slightest bit of healthy weight because I couldn't wear my uniforms any more pig-47.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    > @keepcalmchiveon said:
    > then so be it - no uniforms are to be worn by women henceforth... :yum:

:D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    then so be it - no uniforms are to be worn by women henceforth... :yum:

I think we found the Ferengi.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Part of me wishes they hadn't jumped 700+ years into the Future, though honestly that was likely the only choice to free themselves of the past. Hopefully more Star Trek series will continue the forward momentum, and while I understand the timeline of Picard is forward of the Movies. I would have liked to see them perhaps in time go a bit forward to mid 25th Century at some point.

Still getting back to the topic, I'd welcome the 32nd Uniforms in CSTORE.
    0zxlclk.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    In my opinion jumping to the future was the right thing for the show, the setting and period they chose first just didn't work out. Shows like ENT had a problem because they tried too hard to imitate TNG. DSC wanted to be too different, yet chose an already established era just to mix it all up. In the future they can just go off the rails.

Now for STO that is a problem. They now have to write the shows stuff that is all either in the games' past or future into it's present, including ships, outfits and characters. That's just bound to be difficult.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

The shoulderpads and the not-fitting jacket do seem to scream androgynous if not vaguely masculine. I'd imagine it is a way to keep the tailoring/costume costs down, though.
This discussion has been closed.