test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    After S1 I didn't have much interest in what happened next, but this is enough to change that. As far as we know Picard hasn't dealt with Q since 'All Good Things', so it will be great to see them face each other now that Picard has basically reached the same point in his life as his future self in AGT. Can't wait :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    And the only known contact Q has had with Starfleet since AGT was his encounters with USS Voyager. Don't really count Q's cameo in Lower Decks as who would believe an ensign that Q visited them? Especially an Ensign like Mariner.
    Wonder if Picard will point out that Q never went back to DS9 after Sisko punched him. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Oh, I REALLY hope someone brings up Q's one and only visit to DS9.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This was an awful trailer. Teasing Q is great, but no footage to show off? Nothing but an old man narrator seemingly regretting his life's decisions?

Is that what they are basing an entire season of Star Trek on? Old man regrets?
    This was an awful trailer. Teasing Q is great, but no footage to show off? Nothing but an old man narrator seemingly regretting his life's decisions?

Were you expecting a Hollywood theatrical trailer showcasing major action and explosions?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I hope S2 is mostly like one big 10 episode version of Tapestry based on this trailer, and some comments Picard made during the First Contact Day panels.

Hey, that would work for me. I think most people understand Picard is past his "First Contact Machine Gun Action Guy" stage in life, but it will still be fun to see a battle of wits between him and Q. And since they already dealt with his own personal fate in Tapestry, maybe this time it will be more about the fate of someone he cares about and Q giving him some chance to change what happens. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever they come up with :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    rattler2 wrote: »

Were you expecting a Hollywood theatrical trailer showcasing major action and explosions?

People complain when a trailer spoils the whole movie - now people are complaining when a trailer DOESN'T do that.

You just can't please people, so why bother trying?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"

No, that is just as bad. What I see watching the trailer isn't interesting, it is depressing. It implies the show is about a tired old man talking about his life's regrets.

That might be okay if it were over top of footage of the actual show, of him dealing with it in a positive way, laughing with other people, where he goes and what he does about it. That would show a disconnect between what is said and what is shown that would be intriguing; Picard finally realizing life ends sometime, and doing things to get his house in order, right a few wrongs, make amends, pass down some wisdom, whatever. And then Q throws a wrench into it all.

People complain when a trailer spoils the whole movie - now people are complaining when a trailer DOESN'T do that.

You just can't please people, so why bother trying?​​

Really? You jump to extreme nonsense? No one complained that the trailer doesn't spoil the whole season, and my complaint is that it only suggests a tired, regretful old man gets a visit from Q, which doesn't grab me or intrigue me. I'm even baffled as to what he could possibly be regretting so much.

Aside from Q, what about this trailer is interesting to people? Picard was terribly depressing in S1 and this just seems to imply more of the same.

But lets be real, de Lancie is an old man too. He won't have any of the energy that TNG Q had, and will be hard pressed to pull off a timeless god, again.
    He was only a few years younger when he voiced Alarak in Legacy of the Void and Nova: Covert Ops, and he was just as energetic in that role as he has been in any other.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Not ot mention his recent appearance in Lower Decks, or the time he spent voicing a Q like being in another reality populated by pastel ponies. Unless... That WAS Q on vacation. I mean the guy's gotta have hobbies outside harassing Starfleet Captains right? ;)
    I'd be happy to be wrong about de Lancie's performance, but doing voice acting is a bit different than on screen work.
  • kemaiku#5456 kemaiku Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Hmm, will they digitally de-age him, or embrace his aging in a way as to subtley have a dig at Picard for his advanced years. And yes, a small shoutout to Discord somehow would be about the only funny thing to happen in this series so far.
    Either possibility is possible. And as much as I would like to hear a snide, off hand comment about how Picard was more interesting than some pastel ponies, I doubt we'll see it due to copywrite issues. having a Pony reference in Transformers was easy because both were owned by the same company. Having a Pony reference in Star Trek... not so easy. Funny... but not easy.
    They can't include major references, but an offhand comment can be done without much legal issue - I wouldn't mind an offhand reference to his voicing Alarak, but I don't see CBS doing that - not because of possible legal issues with Blizzard, but just because it probably wouldn't occur to them - unless someone brings it up to them and they haven't already completely plotted out every single line of his.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Also... Alarak wasn't anything like Q either, whereas Discord is pretty much Q.
    Alarak is a smug,self-righteous, holier-than-thou TRIBBLE with a major god complex - that is literally Q in every way.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Not quite. While you're right, Alarak is also quite aggressive and won't hesitate to kill. Q, on the other hand, isn't bloodthirsty. He pokes, he prods, but he doesn't actually pull the trigger so to speak.
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    And the only known contact Q has had with Starfleet since AGT was his encounters with USS Voyager. Don't really count Q's cameo in Lower Decks as who would believe an ensign that Q visited them? Especially an Ensign like Mariner.
    Wonder if Picard will point out that Q never went back to DS9 after Sisko punched him. lol

i dunno about that rattler mariner seems to know everyone lets not forget that shes the most demoted officer in starfleet she's pretty legendary in her own way :D
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Hey, that would work for me. I think most people understand Picard is past his "First Contact Machine Gun Action Guy" stage in life, but it will still be fun to see a battle of wits between him and Q. And since they already dealt with his own personal fate in Tapestry, maybe this time it will be more about the fate of someone he cares about and Q giving him some chance to change what happens. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever they come up with :)
    I would like to see it happen to the La Sirena crew.

Like, first three episodes establish something big is happening, and while trying to stop it, or warn Starfleet about it, the ship gets damaged/shot down and all of them are pretty much dead. Q shows up and lets them all make a Tapestry kind of deal. Picard tries to protest because he already went through this, but Q tells him he didn't learn his lesson fully the first time, so he needs to take the test again.

Episodes 4-8, and part of 9 are about each character's alternate history
    • Rios goes back to when the incident with the synths happened, and prevents his captain from killing the synths/himself. So we see a Rios that never left Starfleet.
    • Raffi goes back to just after she got booted from Starfleet, and avoids falling into the pit of conspiracies that drove her family away. So Raffi ends up in a timeline where she is still with her son, and not a drunk/drug using, loner.
    • Jurati goes back and decides to leave with Bruce Maddox when he first vanished. So we see a version of Jurati who got to stay with the person she cared about, and doesn't have to kill him.
    • Picard gets sent back to like the Stargazer, and maybe alters time to save Jack Crushers life. So we see his time on the stargazer and ENT-D in a situation where Jack is still alive.
    And OFC like Tapestry all of them realize their alternate lives aren't as good as the thought, and want to go back. Q also leaves each of them a little clue on how what they are experiencing can help them not die against THE THING that caused them to almost die in the first place(All Good Things Style) and the rest of episode 9, and episode 10, are them stopping THE THING and saving the day.

Actually really like what you are suggesting here!

Although, have to say, it'd be really interesting if they were to explore this scenario in a non-Tapestry way. Tapestry presented us with a scenario in which Picard quickly learnt that he didn't want to live the life he was presented with ((Lt. J.G. Picard: "I would rather die as the man I was than live the life I just saw." ).

However, what if the person experiencing this 'alternate history' decides that they actually prefer that life? What if, whilst things are not as good as they thought they might be, the person in question decides that they still prefer the way things turn out for the in this 'alternate' take on their lives? This could result in them having to being forced, or perhaps being asked to choose, to leave that life for the greater good (namely choosing between this life they prefer and helping stop THE THING), which could lead to some interesting character development.

Those certainly are interesting possibilities for clever scripts. Unfortunately Kurtzman's track record in DSC runs more to invariably obvious, ham-handed handling of stories so I doubt they would go that route, or if they did do it they would probably botch it into their usual execrably poor plotting overlaid by highly charged action scenes and eyecandy.