test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 Oberth Confirmed?

Comments

• livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    I really like the way this looks. I would buy this.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User

It is definitely a step up from the dull art deco style of the movie one.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User

It is definitely a step up from the dull art deco style of the movie one.
    To each their own but I quite like the original.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I will never understand the whole art deco vs googie or whatever argument over ship design being a factor in anything. As Kirk said, a ship is a ship. And personal preference on how it looks really shouldn't come down to if its art deco or googie or whatever.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > I will never understand the whole art deco vs googie or whatever argument over ship design being a factor in anything. As Kirk said, a ship is a ship. And personal preference on how it looks really shouldn't come down to if its art deco or googie or whatever.

It sounds more meaningful 😁
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited April 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I will never understand the whole art deco vs googie or whatever argument over ship design being a factor in anything. As Kirk said, a ship is a ship. And personal preference on how it looks really shouldn't come down to if its art deco or googie or whatever.

That is not surprising, everyone has their own way of seeing/hearing/sensing things depending on background and natural abilities.

To me the difference in design language between TOS and most of the rest of Trek is glaringly obvious, but a lot of people cannot see the shape relationships that make TOS googie (a naturalistic spiral based style) and the other Treks mostly art deco (a regular geometry, most often in symmetric mechanistic patterns, based style) no matter how much they look at it.

As for the names of the styles, I know the terminology both because I have a friend who is an architecture nerd who talks about it and also it was useful when making things in Second Life (and before that in some art forums) since it helped in discussing designs.

On the other hand, I can tell when a guitar or piano string is out of tune in relation to the other strings, and sometimes even whether it is too high or too low, but I cannot use a tuning fork or whatever to tune it since I cannot hear the resonance point where the fork and the string snap into tune with each other.

I also have a trouble with timing anything I cannot visualize. A friend and I were setting up to jointly run a tabletop RP game campaign in a system called Living Steel where one of the main factors was a highly damaged planetary teleport system that would only work when the still functional satellites were in the right positions to each other.

The problem for me was that while apparently the "satellite positions" made sense in an abstract mathematical way that satisfied the needs of the story I could not see it at all in the language of math (I had to use charts my friend made from the descriptions of the mechanics) because the orbits made no sense whatsoever in a real world orbital mechanics way so I could not visualize them.

Anyway, for me (and others who can see it), since so much Hollywood sci-fi is just variants of art deco there is the boredom factor of it all being the same old hat trotted out again and again, just arranged slightly differently.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    seriously Devs. there are dozens if not hundreds of people that want the nova first
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Obviously based on one of Jim Martin's designs for Voyager. And since some of his other un-used designs have also ended up in Star Trek Online, I have hopes that this is real and will make it into the game. I do like the design. Maybe we will find out more about it tomorrow.
    edited April 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well - apparently Kael said, during the livestream, that there is a new ship reveal/announcement incoming.

Looks like this was genuine and is coming sooner than was assumed.

We don't know for sure if the new ship will be this one. We'll find out soon enough though.
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I like it. I'd probably use the original skin, simply because the Oberth is one of my favorite all time ST ships bar-none, but I think this reimagining is pretty tasteful, as far as these things go.

Here's hoping for a 4-3 weapons arrangement... although I just assume it's going to be a sad-sack 3-3.

When is the new ship announcement due?
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    mattingly1 wrote: »
    I like it. I'd probably use the original skin, simply because the Oberth is one of my favorite all time ST ships bar-none, but I think this reimagining is pretty tasteful, as far as these things go.

Here's hoping for a 4-3 weapons arrangement... although I just assume it's going to be a sad-sack 3-3.

When is the new ship announcement due?

Why would it get a 4-3 weapons layout? The only sci ships with 4-3 are dreadnoughts, as far as I am aware.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

That just means it's not next, Cryptic seems to be trying to tease future ships much further in advance nowadays. The picture they tweeted for the Oberth doesn't really look like a finished render, more like either a WIP or just a screenshot of the model from 3DS Max.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Hard pass. There are so many ships that they could have either added a T6 version of or added to the game as a first run but instead they add in the flying surfboard.
    I'm more interested in the Oberth variation then the ship they did announce.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I'm more interested in the Oberth variation then the ship they did announce.

Yeah that ship was so forgettable in the show that I didn't even think to put it on my list of expected ships from Disco Season 3.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    unless the hull is made from 100 % explodium it would not be screen accurate just like if your flying a miranda you should blow up the moment a enemy open fire on you :D
    reimu#1706 wrote: »
    unless the hull is made from 100 % explodium it would not be screen accurate just like if your flying a miranda you should blow up the moment a enemy open fire on you :D

Oberths weren't meant for exploring the frontier where they might have to defend themselves, they were follow-up science ships designed for use in safe areas and had civilian grade shields and hulls.
    seriously Devs. there are dozens if not hundreds of people that want the nova first
    Actually there is a fair amount of people on the forums who want an Oberth as well.

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    reimu#1706 wrote: »

Kahn did pretty well....the Reliant took a BEATING.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... Khan also got the drop on Kirk, who had a crew of cadets. But yea... Reliant took a beating. Kahn got beat because he forgot about the Third Dimension. He was flying like a blue water navy ship, not a starship that can go up and down.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Yeah the Mirandas didn't start becoming one HP wonders until the Dominion War and by that time the design was nearly 100 years old.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Yeah the Mirandas didn't start becoming one HP wonders until the Dominion War and by that time the design was nearly 100 years old.

True, and the fact that they were light cruisers getting pounded by heavy and battle cruiser probably didn't help their survivability either.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

True, and the fact that they were light cruisers getting pounded by heavy and battle cruiser probably didn't help their survivability either.

True though IIRC Miranda was meant to be a heavy or medium cruiser for the late 23rd century era and it just got downgraded when better ships came along (IIRC it was suppose to more or less a match to the Connie but with a different specialization).
  • reimu#1706 reimu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    it really depends on what version of the miranda we're talking about technically speaking the miranda is better armed then the connie but both are obsolete designs it was not until the excelsior with it's modular design that the a ship was truly completely upgradable and even then unless your benefector is a corrupt admiral i don't see starfleet doing massive upgrades to the very old excelsior the ones we saw in the dominion war for sure was not as combat upgraded as the USS Lakota

but the explodium of the miranda is a meme this point and to be fair we have not even seen that many oberth's die :D
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    One of my characters in STO has a T6 Reliant with a Miranda skin. It is my favorite ship in STO! A good balance of maneuver and tank abilities and fits my style of play perfectly.

For space Barbie I gave the crew all TWoK uniforms and 2285 era Lobi store gear.

So my Miranda definitely is not made of explodium. It can stand up to end game content and advanced TFO’s and get the crew through it all.

If a T6 Oberth comes out and I buy it, I will use the same then of 2285 uniforms and gear

Too bad no TMP movie era bridge exists in STO. That would make the experience complete for the Miranda and Oberth.
    One of my characters in STO has a T6 Reliant with a Miranda skin. It is my favorite ship in STO! A good balance of maneuver and tank abilities and fits my style of play perfectly.

For space Barbie I gave the crew all TWoK uniforms and 2285 era Lobi store gear.

So my Miranda definitely is not made of explodium. It can stand up to end game content and advanced TFO’s and get the crew through it all.

If a T6 Oberth comes out and I buy it, I will use the same then of 2285 uniforms and gear

Too bad no TMP movie era bridge exists in STO. That would make the experience complete for the Miranda and Oberth.

Personally I would be more interested in a TOS bridge that could be substituted for that nasty generic concrete thing they keep putting in all the ships now, but anything would be better than the "standard" bridge or whatever they call it.

Personally I would be more interested in a TOS bridge that could be substituted for that nasty generic concrete thing they keep putting in all the ships now, but anything would be better than the "standard" bridge or whatever they call it.

While it's not usable on every ship, there is a TOS bridge and interior available. It should be usable for every normal Starfleet ship. (AKA not usable for alien ships but usable on ships from the Miranda on up through the Titan and so on.) I do agree it would be nice to have access to other bridges to replace the "Starship" bridge that many cross-faction ships come with. Even if it only meant allowing access to bridges that already exist. (I know there were apparently some faction related issues before with bridges, but some of those may have been fixed now since Cross Faction Flying was introduced.)
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Both the Steamrunner and Oberth Class starships ships available at the T1 level.

One's a Tactical ship, and the other's a science vessel. What T1 ship would fill in the Engineering ship slot if this was made into a bundle?
    edited April 2021
    Honestly I think the Cheyenne would be a battlecruiser.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
This discussion has been closed.