test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Buying my first T6 ship - Please Help

arreallearrealle Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited April 2021 in The Shipyard
Hello, I just started playing STO and i am looking to purchase my first T6 ship to carry me through. I have a limited budget and with ships on sale this could be the right time. I have a total of 6200 zen. I have done some reading and am looking at a couple options. Looking for a good balance of damage output and survivability

1. Cross Faction battlecruiser bundle.
- I like this as it will give me arbiter and rom and kling T6 ships as well

2. 2nd option is the Garagin battlecruiser.
Post edited by arrealle on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You're definitely on the right track, both of those are great options.

As for which is better, that's kind of specific to the user. The Cross Faction pack is great if you play multiple characters and want each to have a faction appropriate ship. It should be noted, in case you don't know, that you don't need the faction equivalents anymore since any character can fly any ship. So if you bought the Aribter for example, your Klingon and Romulan could fly it provided you have the cross faction unlock (or a level 65 KDF character.) Still, many like to have faction appropriate ships (I am one of them) so the cross faction pack is great. These ships are very versatile, they can be used in pretty much any type of Directed Energy Weapon build you want (Beams, Cannons, etc) and they come with an absolute 'must have trait.' This is a great buy for a first T6 ship.

The Gagarin is a similar story, like the Arbiter it's highly versatile and in many ways is like an upgraded version of the Arbiter. The Gagarin is a Miracle Worker ship which is currently considered the 'best' for energy weapon builds. It gets an extra console which is a huge plus and it can slot some of the games best powers for either beams or cannons.

If it were me, and 6200 Zen was the absolute cap.. I would buy the one ship from the Cross Faction pack that I most wanted, along with the Gagarin. I would level the Arbiter/Morrigu/Kurak to unlock the trait and then I would fly the Gagarin.

Another good option is to just buy the Cross Faction pack and then pick up the Gagarin later on down the road. Ship sales are not rare at all, they happen all the time. Don't think of this as your 'one and only chance.'

There is also a Meta Event going on that will be a 4 part event. Part 1 is over, but parts 2-4 have not started yet. Completion of the event can earn you 2 free T6 C-Store ships (or one lock box/promo ship, or 1500 Lobi.) So doing the future events will also net you the Gagarin and another ship of your choice later should you go with the pack right now.

You have options, but they're all good ones. You are picking between some of the best C-Store ships you can get. I think you'll be pleased either way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This advice may be too late, but to add here for the battlecruisers. If you only get one of them, consider the console set carefully. The Morrigu has access to warbird consoles, and forms a set with the excellent Valdore console. That ship you can get with just a big chunk of dilithium.

The Kurak and Arbiter have slightly different console sets with their T5 versions if you get those ships too. The nice thing about those sets is they can be put on any ship, however you do have to buy the ships with zen.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    I think the campaign event is actually 5 events, not 4. But yes, there is enough time remaining (and it is not currently active, so you are not losing time right now) to earn the big prize, and one of the options is two 100% off coupons. So by participating in that you can pick up two free T6 store ships later on. (It requires 70 "daily" tasks, and I believe there are a total of 4 21-day events remaining which would mean 84 days.)

Thanks for the correction, I could have sworn the event was 4 part, but it's 5 then that's even better for anyone that missed part 1.
    This advice may be too late, but to add here for the battlecruisers. If you only get one of them, consider the console set carefully. The Morrigu has access to warbird consoles, and forms a set with the excellent Valdore console. That ship you can get with just a big chunk of dilithium.

The Kurak and Arbiter have slightly different console sets with their T5 versions if you get those ships too. The nice thing about those sets is they can be put on any ship, however you do have to buy the ships with zen.

All three of the Battlecruiser Variants come with the same console.

The Ablative Hazard Shielding console is the same on each variant and can be equipped on any of the listed ships. So if a Romulan claims the Arbiter for example, that Captain can take the console from the Arbiter and put it on a Scimitar with the Absorptive Frequency Generator to get the 2pc. The consoles requirement was altered in a previous patch to work on any starship of any faction.

He shouldn't have to consider the console when selecting one of the 3 variants.

• Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I think the campaign event is actually 5 events, not 4. But yes, there is enough time remaining (and it is not currently active, so you are not losing time right now) to earn the big prize, and one of the options is two 100% off coupons. So by participating in that you can pick up two free T6 store ships later on. (It requires 70 "daily" tasks, and I believe there are a total of 4 21-day events remaining which would mean 84 days.)

Thanks for the correction, I could have sworn the event was 4 part, but it's 5 then that's even better for anyone that missed part 1.

All three of the Battlecruiser Variants come with the same console.

The Ablative Hazard Shielding console is the same on each variant and can be equipped on any of the listed ships. So if a Romulan claims the Arbiter for example, that Captain can take the console from the Arbiter and put it on a Scimitar with the Absorptive Frequency Generator to get the 2pc. The consoles requirement was altered in a previous patch to work on any starship of any faction.

He shouldn't have to consider the console when selecting one of the 3 variants.

No no, I was trying to point out the warbird consoles. You still can't use warbird console sets on non-Romulan ships, but if you have or want to use those consoles the Morrigu can use them, like the Valdore console, and that console only costs you some dilithium.
  • Options
    arreallearrealle Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Ty all very much. i have decided to purchase the Cross faction BC bundle and work towards the Garagin. Hope this works well for me. Im kind of a Star trek purist and I like the idea of using faction specific ships. Again ty all very much
  • Options
    arrealle wrote: »
    Ty all very much. i have decided to purchase the Cross faction BC bundle and work towards the Garagin. Hope this works well for me. Im kind of a Star trek purist and I like the idea of using faction specific ships. Again ty all very much

You made an excellent choice. Feel free to post if you would like some help with a build or anything.

I hope you enjoy your ships. :smile: