test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Janeway not take the Rout for the Bajoran Wormhole?

ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
I been thinking lately why didn't Captain Janeway took the Gamma Route to the Bajoran Wormhole then it hit me in Episode "Star Trek VOY S03E05 False Profits" She knew that the Bar'Zan Wormhole was near by and also the Other Caretaker as well; and also Starfleet may have mapped more of the Delta Q more then the Gamma as well so she may thought it would take less Time to get home from getting help from the Caretaker's Mate and or trying to use the Bar'Zan Wormhole get home; but either of them did not work but instead in the end Did a Number on the Collective by Obliterating there Trans-Warp Hub That's My Theory anyway.
May the Shwartz Be With You
CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The Dominion might have had something to do with why Janeway didn't bother with going to the Bajoran Wormhole. Then there is the issue that the distance to the Bajoran Wormhole might be about the same as the distance to Earth. Voyager was transported to the Delta Quadrant a month after Sisko discovered the Founders. Heading straight for Earth is a certainty provided that they survive while heading for the Bajoran Wormhole is a gamble. Voyager would be in the Gamma Quadrant and thousands of lightyears away from Earth if some alien race destroys the wormhole or protects it from intrusion.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    A YouTuber actually tried to explain a possible reason for this very issue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExI6VaistAw
    Ultimately its all speculation from anyone why Voyager didn't beeline for the Bajoran Wormhole in Gamma rather than just fly through Delta like she did.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
    I saw that Video and I do agree with it and I just expanded it with another reason why. She knew about the other Carataker and Bar'Zan Wormhole and she new if she can get to either one it will cut there in time in half.
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    It would have taken approximately as long to get from Delta to Gamma as from Delta to Beta (and the nearest Federation outpost). Why take a route about which she knew next to nothing?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    It would have taken approximately as long to get from Delta to Gamma as from Delta to Beta (and the nearest Federation outpost). Why take a route about which she knew next to nothing?

The same could be said about getting from the Delta Quadrant to Earth. The last few hundred to thousand lightyears would be familiar to the Federation, but still the majority of the journey is unknown. At least with heading to Earth, there is no need to use a wormhole to get home. It is like travelling 4,000 kilometers to an airport to get home when home is 4,000 kilometers away.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > The Dominion might have had something to do with why Janeway didn't bother with going to the Bajoran Wormhole. Then there is the issue that the distance to the Bajoran Wormhole might be about the same as the distance to Earth. Voyager was transported to the Delta Quadrant a month after Sisko discovered the Founders. Heading straight for Earth is a certainty provided that they survive while heading for the Bajoran Wormhole is a gamble. Voyager would be in the Gamma Quadrant and thousands of lightyears away from Earth if some alien race destroys the wormhole or protects it from intrusion.

They didn’t know anything about The Dominion. In the episode “Message in a Bottle” the new hologram doctor mentions the war with The Dominion and The Doctor was like “The who?”
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    > starkaos said:
    > The Dominion might have had something to do with why Janeway didn't bother with going to the Bajoran Wormhole. Then there is the issue that the distance to the Bajoran Wormhole might be about the same as the distance to Earth. Voyager was transported to the Delta Quadrant a month after Sisko discovered the Founders. Heading straight for Earth is a certainty provided that they survive while heading for the Bajoran Wormhole is a gamble. Voyager would be in the Gamma Quadrant and thousands of lightyears away from Earth if some alien race destroys the wormhole or protects it from intrusion.

They didn’t know anything about The Dominion. In the episode “Message in a Bottle” the new hologram doctor mentions the war with The Dominion and The Doctor was like “The who?”

The Series Premiere of Voyager was on January 16, 1995 or stardate 48315.6 - 48317. The Search Part II where the Founders were first discovered aired October 3, 1994 and Part 1 had a stardate of 48212.4 - 48214.5. So unless evidence of the Dominion was classified, then there is no reason why Voyager would not know about the Dominion.

Then there is the possibility that the Doctor was not aware of anything in the months before Voyager entered the Delta Quadrant. Since he was just a backup program that was only active when the Chief Medical Officer was indisposed or need an extra pair of hands before the CMO was killed in the Series Premiere. So whenever the Doctor was activated, he would only be around for up to a few hours depended on the extent of the medical emergency and then thrown back into storage. It did not give any time for the Doctor to learn about any new Empires that might threaten the Federation. The rest of the crew had no need to discuss the Dominion since it is just a newly discovered alien Empire and thousands of lightyears away from Voyager.

starkaos wrote: »
    The rest of the crew had no need to discuss the Dominion since it is just a newly discovered alien Empire and thousands of lightyears away from Voyager.

This is likely. At the time tensions were high with the Dominion, but there wasn't a full blown war yet. And with Voyager stuck in the Delta Quadrant... no point discussing it as it wasn't as important as surviving in the galactic boonies.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I stand corrected. They should have known especially since the Federation lost a Galaxy class ship before Voyager was grabbed. The crew would have known and been briefed especially since they were at DS9.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I stand corrected. They should have known especially since the Federation lost a Galaxy class ship before Voyager was grabbed. The crew would have known and been briefed especially since they were at DS9.
    They knew the wormhole existed. What they did not know was the precise location of the other end, nor could they have been confident it would still be there in fifty or so years when they got there (it's not like their location in Delta was right next door to Dominion space, and every wormhole they'd heard of before was a temporary natural phenomenon).

On the other hand, they could chart the precise distance from where they were to the nearest known space in Beta, some 75 years away from them at constant top speed (which they could never maintain because they needed supplies and repair, and because Janeway never met a nebula she didn't want to probe). Much safer, especially as they were unaware when they started how very much space the Borg occupied near the far end of Delta. It's not like they were getting a lot of valuable star-chart data from the Kazon, after all...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    So unless evidence of the Dominion was classified, then there is no reason why Voyager would not know about the Dominion.

Which it clearly wasn't, since a hologram of a Jem'hadar Attack Ship showed up in the Voyager S2 episode Partuition during a training simulation.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    > @jonsills said:
    > They knew the wormhole existed. What they did not know was the precise location of the other end, nor could they have been confident it would still be there in fifty or so years when they got there (it's not like their location in Delta was right next door to Dominion space, and every wormhole they'd heard of before was a temporary natural phenomenon).
    >
    > On the other hand, they could chart the precise distance from where they were to the nearest known space in Beta, some 75 years away from them at constant top speed (which they could never maintain because they needed supplies and repair, and because Janeway never met a nebula she didn't want to probe). Much safer, especially as they were unaware when they started how very much space the Borg occupied near the far end of Delta. It's not like they were getting a lot of valuable star-chart data from the Kazon, after all...

Why wouldn’t they know the precise location of the other side?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Because at the time of their departure, Starfleet hadn't properly surveyed the other side of the wormhole yet, nor had they established to the satisfaction of Federation astronomers its permanency (every known wormhole was a temporary phenomenon, and could either move or collapse). All that they had was a rough idea of where it was, and the knowledge that there was a potentially-hostile government, the Dominion, somewhere in the area.

Meanwhile, they at least had some idea what they'd find once they reached Beta Quad, which was about as far from their position as Gamma Quad. Heading thousands of lightyears in the wrong direction on the off-chance the wormhole might still be there and they might find it would be a fool's errand.

Personally, I'm unsure why they didn't leave the plane of the galactic ecliptic and arc "over" the core; it would have been shorter, and with a lot less cruft in their way...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    If you take the course most often shown on maps and overlay it on a real map of the Milky Way you see that they never actually cross the core, though they parellel one arm of the central bar fairly closely along one of the low-stellar-density patches. There would be no point in going over the core or even hopping over the bar, it would just take them along a longer route if they did it.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Voyager and its crew didn't know about the Dominion.

Chakotay mentioned to B'elanna that the Cardassians had gained 'an ally' from the Gamma Quadrant and that the Maquis had been wiped out. He didn't seem to know who these allies were - it's been years since I saw the episode, but I remember that the dialogue certainly didn't give the impression that Chakotay really understood the scale of these events.

And this wasn't the first episode - if Chakotay had to call them 'an ally' of the Cardassians sometime after Voyager got stranded, then they obviously weren't known to the crew at the time of the first episode.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    They knew enough about it to know what one of their mainline warships looked like, and to have that data available for holographic recreation.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Found the episode, it's the fifteenth from the fourth season.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hunters_(episode)

"CHAKOTAY: All wiped out. It seems the Cardassians have an ally, a species from the Gamma Quadrant who supplied them with ships and weapons."

http://chakoteya.net/Voyager/413.htm
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Chakotay was part of the Maquis when the Federation encountered the Dominion. The Maquis had more important concerns to worry about than news about a newly discovered Empire in the Gamma Quadrant. What the Starfleet portion of the crew accepts to be common knowledge is different from the Maquis portion of the crew.
    Chakotay was part of the Maquis when the Federation encountered the Dominion. The Maquis had more important concerns to worry about than news about a newly discovered Empire in the Gamma Quadrant. What the Starfleet portion of the crew accepts to be common knowledge is different from the Maquis portion of the crew.

The Maquis fought against Starfleet, amongst others. This newly discovered empire would be of great interest to them.

And some Maquis, including Chakotay himself, were in Starfleet before. They lived on (previously) Federation colonies and were Federation citizens.

They're not some entity that is totally separate from the rest of the Federation. What matters to the Federation, matters to the Maquis. To suggest that the regular Federation crew knew about it whereas it's perfectly understandable that the Maquis on Voyager didn't, is like saying that it's reasonable to presume that the people of Andoria know nothing about the Borg simply because they're not actively serving on a Starfleet ship that has encountered them.

Some things are simply too big not to be known. They can be assumed to be common knowledge. If Chakotay didn't know about the Dominion, then Janeway, Tuvok and Kim probably didn't either.

Especially since there was an interest to keep the former Maquis informed. Later on, Janeway especially probably would want the former Maquis to remember they're Voyager-crew first now, and not Maquis. But right after they were stranded in the DQ, there was every reason to convince the former Maquis that trying to seize Voyager for their rebellion, would be pointless.

According to Memory Alpha, First Contact with the Dominion was in 2370, which quickly devolved into a Cold War. Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant in 2371. The war didn't start until 2373.

All we can assume is that Voyager's crew, and by extention the Maquis members, knew only vague reports of the Dominion, and were aware of the destruction of the USS Odyssey. And Voyager would have had access to scan data taken by DS9 Runabouts that had accompanied Odyssey prior to her destruction.
    There wasn't much known about the Dominion at the time Voyager got flung across the galaxy. All they really knew was secondhand from trade with the Gamma Quadrant, and a couple direct encounters with the Dominion.

Its entirely possible that Voyager's crew didn't know the name of the Dominion, just that there was a superpower in the Gamma Quadrant. DS9 was the source of most of Starfleet's data on the Dominion. Odds are until things started getting worse Starfleet wasn't giving out ALL information they had on the Dominion to EVERY ship operating in that region as, for all intents and purposes, the Dominion was bottlenecked by the Wormhole, and seemed content to just stay on their side for the time being. Encounter probability was extremely low.
    They knew enough about it to know what one of their mainline warships looked like, and to have that data available for holographic recreation.​​

Yeah, that's something that needs explanation.

Or maybe it doesn't, Voyager generally isn't considered the most consistent series of all... Nothing new basically.

I knew Janeway could be a completely different person from one week to the other, but I guess the weird twists weren't limited to her.

edited June 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    According to Memory Alpha, First Contact with the Dominion was in 2370, which quickly devolved into a Cold War. Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant in 2371. The war didn't start until 2373.

All we can assume is that Voyager's crew, and by extention the Maquis members, knew only vague reports of the Dominion, and were aware of the destruction of the USS Odyssey. And Voyager would have had access to scan data taken by DS9 Runabouts that had accompanied Odyssey prior to her destruction.
    There wasn't much known about the Dominion at the time Voyager got flung across the galaxy. All they really knew was secondhand from trade with the Gamma Quadrant, and a couple direct encounters with the Dominion.

Its entirely possible that Voyager's crew didn't know the name of the Dominion, just that there was a superpower in the Gamma Quadrant. DS9 was the source of most of Starfleet's data on the Dominion. Odds are until things started getting worse Starfleet wasn't giving out ALL information they had on the Dominion to EVERY ship operating in that region as, for all intents and purposes, the Dominion was bottlenecked by the Wormhole, and seemed content to just stay on their side for the time being. Encounter probability was extremely low.

Still, it's not just not knowing the name of the Dominion. Chakotay talked about them like he didn't have a clue who they were, as if they had just popped into existence to mess around with the Maquis and didn't matter at all beyond the fact they helped the Cardassians (also note the word 'ally', whereas in DS9 it clearly was 'joined the Dominion') - when in fact there was a whole lot more going on of course.

The Stardate given in 'Hunters' is 51501.4, which means 2374. https://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm. According to Memory Alpha, the Dominion had already invaded the Alpha Quadrant by then. Not to mention that Starfleet had already begun to realise that they had gone to war with the Klingons because of manipulation of this 'ally of the Cardassians'. Which isn't mentioned either.

Anyway, it just seems that the crew wasn't aware of what was happening in general. I guess it's just another example of bad writing, some writers not remembering what is going on in the universe they (and colleagues of theirs) were writing about. But at least some info from Voyager suggests that the crew did not very clearly know what would be waiting for them in the Gamma Quadrant.

edited June 2021
    It just striked me as odd at the time that Chakotay did mention how the Maquis - let's be honest, a relatively unimportant group in terms of size, fighting for some colonies out of the hundreds of planets that make up the Federation - were wiped out by some vaguely described power.

When in fact that same power was already busy trying to invade the entire Alpha Quadrant Voyager was so desperately trying to reach. The same power that had managed to undo one of the - if not the single most - important alliance(s) the Federation had ever formed until then. An alliance that could well have been of just as much importance to Torres btw, given her half-Klingon descent.

Based on all that, I never really lost the impression that Chakotay had no idea who the Dominion were or how important they were in events - of which he couldn't grasp the importance either. His friends with the Maquis, fighting for some colonies he and they wanted to protect, were not the only ones going to be wiped out if it was up to that 'ally' of the Cardassians. Everything they fought for and the entire Federation with it were at risk.
    It also seemed kind of silly, knowing you have almost an entire series dedicated to telling the biggest of all wars which threatens to rip the quadrant apart - and then have someone who hears about the power behind this only mention that they were responsible for the loss of a small resistance group that fought for a handful of colonies.

Sure, they were close to him and he lost many friends. But if he had any idea who the Dominion were or what they were about, he surely would have had concern for more than just the Maquis.

My thinking is if the Odyssey was destroyed before they left then Voyager crew should know about it. One of their Galaxy’s gets taken out. Every ship in the fleet should know that. Every ship in the region should have been on an alert status.
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited June 2021
    I think you guys are missing a point I was trying to make.

Again... the war didn't start until 2373. By that point Voyager was at least two years into her journey home.
    Depending on exactly when Odyssey was destroyed, it could have been only a few months between that and Voyager getting stranded. Also the fact that Odyssey was not destroyed in the Alpha Quadrant, and anything that came through that was hostile would have to deal with DS9.

So it is plausible that Voyager didn't have as much information on the Dominion. It is also plausible that the Maquis in general didn't know much about the Dominion either, and they don't have the resources the Federation has. Like was pointed out earlier, the Maquis only care about protecting their little corner of the Alpha Quadrant from the Cardassians. Dominion forces showing up and helping the Cardassians trying to wipe them out would fall under the category of "some new ally" since the Maquis would pretty much not know where they came from. Just that they were helping the Cardassians.
    I think you guys are missing a point I was trying to make.

Again... the war didn't start until 2373. By that point Voyager was at least two years into her journey home.
    Depending on exactly when Odyssey was destroyed, it could have been only a few months between that and Voyager getting stranded. Also the fact that Odyssey was not destroyed in the Alpha Quadrant, and anything that came through that was hostile would have to deal with DS9.

So it is plausible that Voyager didn't have as much information on the Dominion. It is also plausible that the Maquis in general didn't know much about the Dominion either, and they don't have the resources the Federation has. Like was pointed out earlier, the Maquis only care about protecting their little corner of the Alpha Quadrant from the Cardassians. Dominion forces showing up and helping the Cardassians trying to wipe them out would fall under the category of "some new ally" since the Maquis would pretty much not know where they came from. Just that they were helping the Cardassians.

Of course Voyager couldn't have known much about the Dominion as the war started after they got stranded indeed. But that's exactly what I said in my first post: they didn't know about the Dominion. Chakotay's later comments in the fourth season also strongly suggest that. We're basically saying the same thing here.

Them not knowing about the Dominion still makes it strange that they knew their ship designs as pointed out by others. Maybe they got those from other species they had encountered by then though, I don't remember that episode as well as Hunters.

edited June 2021
    I decided to do a little research. The Voyager pilot takes place in the year 2371 and takes place during season 3 of DS9. According to the Star dates it is placed in between the DS9 episode “Civil Defense” and “Meridian”. Going by the star dates “Meridian” takes place one month after “Caretaker”. Meridian also marks the first time Sisko and crew go into the Gamma Quadrant since “The Search” two parter. In the beginning of the two parter Sisko mentions having briefed Star Fleet Command on The Dominion and they gave him the Defiant to go talk to the Dominion leadership. Incidentally the episode that the Odyssey is destroyed is “The Jem’Hadar” and is said to take place in 2370.

When I was in the US Navy whenever a ship entered a new AO we’d get an intel brief on all threats and friendlies in the region (yes I know Star Fleet isnt the military and I’m using a bit of head canon wavy-ness but bear with me.) So wouldn’t it stand to reason that Star Fleet command would probably have a standing yellow alert for DS9 since they’re expecting the Dominion to come through the wormhole any moment? Wouldn’t it also stand to reason that any ship in the area of DS9 also be on a standing yellow alert and also receive an intel brief on the Dominion in case the purple beetle ships come flying through the wormhole? Mind you Voyager isn’t waiting for the shuttle with Tom Paris traveling from Earth at Drozana Station. They’re at DS9. The place Sisko has said the first battle of the Dominion War will take place. Not only would they be ready and waiting in case something happens but more than likely Sisko briefed Janeway on the threat personally.

So would Janeway and crew know about the wormhole location in the Gamma quadrant? Yes. Ships and research vessels would have been going through for some time before the Dominion started acting up. Would Janeway and crew know about The Dominion? Yes. The were at DS9 when they were expecting an invasion and at the most would have been briefed. Would they have know about the war? No. It happened after they left.

So why didn’t Janeway head for it? Probably because she knew the Dominion was a hostile species and they had taken out a Galaxy class ship. What could Voyager do against that?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Them not knowing about the Dominion still makes it strange that they knew their ship designs as pointed out by others. Maybe they got those from other species they had encountered by then though, I don't remember that episode as well as Hunters.

I'm still gonna say that Starfleet got the scan data from the runabouts during the engagement that destroyed Odyssey.
    edited June 2021
    And as to why Chakotay knew nothing of them despite Voyager (and probably the Starfleet senior staff knowing at least the basics) having data on what they figured was probably the Dominion's front-line warship (the actual warship didn't show up until much later, probably during Call to Arms, maybe a bit earlier) in their computer's databanks - why would he? He's not going digging through those databanks for random information when he's so focused on keeping the peace between the Starfleet and Maquis crews in those early years, especially since doing so may be seen as a breach of trust. And Janeway wouldn't be bringing them up either, as it's not a concern at that point - they're not going for the wormhole anyway and she's got bigger issues - like finding a reliable source of power and harvesting nebulae full of coffee (Yes, I know the nebula from that episode was a possible power source, which would have helped their replicator issues and didn't directly have anything to do with caffeine).​​

#LegalizeAwoo