test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are the worst lines of STO in 2021?

murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
Back in 2016 everyone was talking about this, some thought was gorn puns, some thought was Kurland here. Since I don't play the entire variety of TFOs, my pick is:

Daniels: Wait! Timeline change imminent!
IInLzhi.gif
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Face the Wrath of the Terran Empire!

Definitely this!

Whenever I do the mission I have to mute the sound otherwise it would drive me nuts.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Heh... I just roll my eyes because the "Wrath of the Terran Empire" usually results in "We're taking too much damage". The Terran Empire's all bark and currently no bite from a game mechanics perspective due to overall player power.

Anyways... my personal one is...
    "The Battle of Procyon V is about to begin..."

I don't like that TFO because it is WAY TOO EASY to get interrupted, especially when the Krenim come in.

Also guys... have fun, but keep it clean please. I can see this is ment to be in good humor. Lets keep it that way. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    daboholic wrote: »
    Face the Wrath of the Terran Empire!

Definitely this!

Whenever I do the mission I have to mute the sound otherwise it would drive me nuts.

I know what you mean, though in my case I have to mute T'Kuvma's disgustingly melodramatic slow-talking monologs in the Battle of the Binary Stars TFO instead.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    "Members of the Federation, what you call your most remote borders I call too close to Klingon territory.
    You only live now to serve as witnesses of Klingon supremacy, to be my herald.
    We do not desire to know you. But you will know our great houses, standing as one under Kahless, reborn in me, T'Kuvma."

--said after losing hundreds of ships, failing to capture many escape pods, getting his ship disabled ten times and probably driving the whole Klingon species to near-extinction in an ill-fated curbstomp battle.

Alternatively:
    "You dare speak to me of dishonor?! Grrraaagh! Die!" --said in a whiny tone by Ja'rod after getting sent to eliminate unarmed civilian diplomats on freaking Khitomer and put the blame on Martok and the officer who stopped the Iconian War.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Personally, I hate listening to anything Stamets has to say. His voice annoys me to high end. It doesn’t have any “sci-fi” tone at all. Second is dude form BoTBS. Speech sounds like he’s got hot food in his mouth. Third is Seven of Nine. She sounds so uninspired and bored.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Stamets is the voice of Captain Obvious.

"Looks like there was a fight here." The Ninth Rule

And Kuumarke when you're checking out that planet and looking for the bomb:

"Oh, I see! They followed the waterfall!"
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Any disco klink is just painful to listen to, sounds like they're trying to talk whilst trying not to gag with a mouthful of marbles. I do wonder if their voice "coach" took the idea from a round of chubby bunnies.

Cryptic have never managed a scots accent, STO's scotty is far too clipped to even be doohan's version and the "jings crivens help ma boab thars jem hadar comin oot tha wurmhool" from one of the ds9 missions is horrendous.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Burgess in Battle at the Binary Stars.... Freeze Progrum and Not the greatest Moremont
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Stamets is the voice of Captain Obvious.

"Looks like there was a fight here." The Ninth Rule

And Kuumarke when you're checking out that planet and looking for the bomb:

"Oh, I see! They followed the waterfall!"

I think the Klingon in that mission is even worse than Kuumarke.
    Any disco klink is just painful to listen to, sounds like they're trying to talk whilst trying not to gag with a mouthful of marbles. I do wonder if their voice "coach" took the idea from a round of chubby bunnies.

Cryptic have never managed a scots accent, STO's scotty is far too clipped to even be doohan's version and the "jings crivens help ma boab thars jem hadar comin oot tha wurmhool" from one of the ds9 missions is horrendous.

Scotty is voiced by Chris Doohan, and while I agree he doesn't really sound like his father, its hard to complain about the situation.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Where to begin...

I guess I will say anything that Tenavik says in the Boreth missions. It is just bad voice acting because he gets so quiet and talks so slow it is hard to understand and I get bored with the dialog.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    --said after losing hundreds of ships, failing to capture many escape pods, getting his ship disabled ten times and probably driving the whole Klingon species to near-extinction in an ill-fated curbstomp battle.

Yeah, you kinda gotta laugh at "Klingon supremacy" when everyone had red-burst Gravity Wells from full-mastered legendary Crossfields whooping their behinds back into the 23rd century, heh heh.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    garaffe wrote: »
    Where to begin...

I guess I will say anything that Tenavik says in the Boreth missions. It is just bad voice acting because he gets so quiet and talks so slow it is hard to understand and I get bored with the dialog.

Yeah - hate to say it but, to me at least, it sounded like someone trying to do a slightly slower, quieter, Christian Bale Batman.

This about sums it up. I think the voice actor was trying to make Tenavik sound "mystical", but he way over did it. I got so annoyed with it that I skipped most of his dialog on the very first time I did the mission, which is something that I never do because I like to immerse myself in the story.
    In defense of Binary Stars, I'd like to point out that isn't actually Cryptic's work, but voice clips from Discovery.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Between the talky bits going on forever and being forced into melee combat while controlling julie, who's only melee is the rifle butt, that monastery mission was really tedious. Story by that point was meaningless given how she's yet another baddie who's being redeemed but for some reason we're also cloning her mother(?) and something about implanting her soul because disco klinks.

After the nimbus bar 2.0 mission throwing in yet more new characters (with another one up for awful accent award) I gave up trying to look for a coherent plot.

It seems to be STO's homage to disco and the whole hi I'm michael and I'm the messiah and the male around me are only allowed to be totally inept or TRIBBLE so I look more messianic womany. AKA how not to make a strong female character work for anyone but the vocal twits who'd never watch scifi anyway.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    In defense of Binary Stars, I'd like to point out that isn't actually Cryptic's work, but voice clips from Discovery.

Burgess who gives you the mission brief is not part of audio files from Discovery. Discovery audio files are Georgiou at the start. Anderson before the Shenzhou is destroyed and T'Kuvma. I think that is Anderson saying about Tyler's shuttle.
    Story by that point was meaningless given how she's yet another baddie who's being redeemed but for some reason we're also cloning her mother(?)
    Uhhh L'rell isn't J'ula's mother. Where did you even get that idea from? I think J'ula is actually older then L'rel, being the older sister of T'Kuvma who was himself older then L'rell.

L'rel is Tenavik's mother as is stated in one of these long tedious missions. So the OP's confusion is understandable seeing how foggy the mind gets when it is faced with such a terrible story brought to life by terrible voice acting (and by this I really only mean Tenavik).
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    worst line? how about EVery line for KDF. Klingons would never talk like earthers, or any other kuve
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
    Story by that point was meaningless given how she's yet another baddie who's being redeemed but for some reason we're also cloning her mother(?)
    Uhhh L'rell isn't J'ula's mother. Where did you even get that idea from? I think J'ula is actually older then L'rel, being the older sister of T'Kuvma who was himself older then L'rell.

All I could recall was that the clone was referred to as being someone's mother but the story had lost my interest by that point which is why I put the ? in brackets after. Julie is being given far too much leniency given how she arrived hellbent on slaughter and conquest, albeit the slaughter was by us against her forces. She should either be cooling her heels next to sela or hacking away at rocks on rura penthe.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    'Mother' is just a title L'Rell used during S2 after Ash/Voq's and Tenavik's 'deaths'* - and she is also Tenavik's mother, which may be what he was referring to...or he may have been referring to the title.

Hell, it could've even been both a reference to her being his mother as well as the Mother of the Klingon Empire.

"The leader of House Kor gave his life to defend mine. One house defending another. His sacrifice is a lesson to us all. I, too, have sacrificed. I will bear a child but once. Now, you are my children as I raise this family to greatness! Do not refer to me as chancellor, for I deserve a fiercer title. From this point forth, you may call me... Mother."

- L'Rell
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I think u guys are missing the point. Is not how bad or good are the voice actors, but their lines. Back in 2016 we had a mission where you needed to walk on space suit outside DS9 to gain access during certain invasion, and there was this guy that every single time you needed to contact him, prompted answer:
    -Kurland here!

By playing some TFOs today I noticed Daniels:
    -Wait, the timeline is changing
    -Timeline change imminent.

And of course an honorable mention on Leeta:
    -Surrender! To the Terran Empire!
    -We're taking too much damage!

But I believe Leeta was already present on 2016. So, any worthy mentions for 2020-2021?
    IInLzhi.gif
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    "All ships - withdraw".... said just as the last ship is turned to dust.
    eazzie wrote: »

Burgess who gives you the mission brief is not part of audio files from Discovery. Discovery audio files are Georgiou at the start. Anderson before the Shenzhou is destroyed and T'Kuvma. I think that is Anderson saying about Tyler's shuttle.

Anderson doesn't say anything about Tyler's escape pod. That was added in by Cryptic. Other than that and Burgess, its was all voice clips.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Where to begin...

Yeah - hate to say it but, to me at least, it sounded like someone trying to do a slightly slower, quieter, Christian Bale Batman.

This about sums it up. I think the voice actor was trying to make Tenavik sound "mystical", but he way over did it. I got so annoyed with it that I skipped most of his dialog on the very first time I did the mission, which is something that I never do because I like to immerse myself in the story.

That's pretty much how Tenavik spoke in Discovery though, you can't blame the actor for doing an accurate replication (especially since the actor playing Tenavik in STO isn't his DSC season 2 actor).
    eazzie wrote: »

Anderson doesn't say anything about Tyler's escape pod. That was added in by Cryptic. Other than that and Burgess, its was all voice clips.

Seriously does sound like Anderson, but there is a lot of pew pew going on at the time it is hard to make out That's why I thought it was Anderson BUT Burgess though I can forgive the progrum BUT its that Moremont argggggh LOL
    The only time we hear Anderson is when we hit the scripted point where Anderson calls for a ceasefire to negotiate a peaceful resolution, and T'Kuvma's answer is Cleave Ship.

IMO Cryptic did an amazing job replicating the scene in STO's engine. While we don't have the hull deformation we see on TV when the Cleave is pushing her way through the USS Europa's hull, its very well done.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Does "Patch Notes" count?
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
    The only time we hear Anderson is when we hit the scripted point where Anderson calls for a ceasefire to negotiate a peaceful resolution, and T'Kuvma's answer is Cleave Ship.

IMO Cryptic did an amazing job replicating the scene in STO's engine. While we don't have the hull deformation we see on TV when the Cleave is pushing her way through the USS Europa's hull, its very well done.

That I agree on completely. The best replicated scene ever.
This discussion has been closed.