test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Celebrate First Contact Day

2»

Comments

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I'm surprised nobody has commented on the ship in the first image. The model looks like too much time has been put into it to not be a new ship. It also doesn't look like a 32c design or anything from the series/films that I recognize.

My first guess was some kind of new Command Frigate(Presidio vibes); second guess after examining it closer is.. maybe a T6 Nova(dunno if the upward pylons would fit with that saucer, but the protruding back of the hull, triangular saucer, and even the vesta-ish nacelles fit the Nova's design characteristics.). My only other guess would be a T6 Sabre, but the saucer is a pretty big departure(and I'm pretty sure the nacelles connect directly to the saucer on those ships).

As for the ground weapon.. it might be nice a nice alternative to the Elachi/Voth Pistol for people who want to go with a Deadspace/Plasma Cutter theme.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has commented on the ship in the first image. The model looks like too much time has been put into it to not be a new ship. It also doesn't look like a 32c design or anything from the series/films that I recognize.
    Because it already exists in the game, it's the Deimos Pilot Destroyer AKA the Synth ships that wrecked Mars.
    If you're talking about the more Fed-designed ship in the second image, it's the Wallenberg-class tug ship, which appears in the TFO and was used with big attached transport modules to try and evacuate the Romulans.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Because it already exists in the game, it's the Deimos Pilot Destroyer AKA the Synth ships that wrecked Mars.
    If you're talking about the more Fed-designed ship in the second image, it's the Wallenberg-class tug ship, which appears in the TFO and was used with big attached transport modules to try and evacuate the Romulans.

Oh.. I guess I never paid that close attention during the mission.. That's both interesting and disappointing.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Unless they confirm for sure that they fixed the account unlock with the reward, this will be an easy skip.

The actual reward is lackluster and it doesn’t count toward the meta event. Last year, they offered this holo ship/rocket launcher as an account wide reward. We did the event only to find out that only the character that completed the event could unlock the reward.

Reports came in, tickets were made and Cryptic completely 100% ignored them. They never said a word and never fixed it which is very unlike Cryptic. They make mistakes sure, but they always acknowledge them and fix them. The fact that they wouldn’t even acknowledge it was puzzling. I am wondering if it was an issue they couldn’t fix, and if that’s the case then it will likely happen this year as well.

Unless they actually say something about it, I see no reason why I can’t use this as a chance for a 3 week break from STO. The rocket is kinda cool, but I don’t feel like doing this to get it on one single character.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Phew! At first I saw "synthwave" and had a mini panic. Fortunately, it's only one of the options. And it's by far the worst one.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Phew! At first I saw "synthwave" and had a mini panic. Fortunately, it's only one of the options. And it's by far the worst one.

I'm inclined to agree... thank God it's only an option. I think I'll traipse about on Earth...

Also, part of me admits to being one of those who complain about the AFKers in the rocket buildoff. Who doesn't like model rockets? Sure, it's repetitive, but what in this game isn't?
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Unless they confirm for sure that they fixed the account unlock with the reward, this will be an easy skip.

The actual reward is lackluster and it doesn’t count toward the meta event. Last year, they offered this holo ship/rocket launcher as an account wide reward. We did the event only to find out that only the character that completed the event could unlock the reward.

Reports came in, tickets were made and Cryptic completely 100% ignored them. They never said a word and never fixed it which is very unlike Cryptic. They make mistakes sure, but they always acknowledge them and fix them. The fact that they wouldn’t even acknowledge it was puzzling. I am wondering if it was an issue they couldn’t fix, and if that’s the case then it will likely happen this year as well.

Unless they actually say something about it, I see no reason why I can’t use this as a chance for a 3 week break from STO. The rocket is kinda cool, but I don’t feel like doing this to get it on one single character.

It's sort of pathetic, imo, how Cryptic lackadaisically handles these type of "minor" glitches with some persisting for a year plus.

I'm expecting the latest Q's Winter Wonderland manuals & modules that were pulled from the game shortly after the event to be given similar treatment. Then again, I stopped looking to see if Cryptic actually did a stealth re-insert of them a couple of patches back.

I'll concede though these type of "glitches" aren't game-breaking & won't be high on a Cryptic priority list but it's a sad indicator of the game's state when that's the rhetoric to expect for not fixing broken game aspects over & over again.

• diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I am going to pass on the Synthwave TFO and the Borg ground mission, but I really like the rocket building competition, so I am looking forward to the First Contact Day event.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2021
    I'm also looking forward to it, that being first contact day with our wonderful Vulcan neighbours. :o
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It's not 'First Contact Day', it's 'First Contact Fortnight and a Half'. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Yeah, it's gone from a cute little mini-event just for fun, mostly, into a full blown 3 week timekiller
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Completing either of these participating activities once per day, per account, will earn you a First Contact Day Badge Box. Opening this box will grant players the opportunity to choose between 17 Comm Badges as account-wide unlocks. Once unlocked, these immediately become accessible from any Tailor for any Federation character on your entire account.

Because F kdf, I guess.
    deleroux wrote: »
    Completing either of these participating activities once per day, per account, will earn you a First Contact Day Badge Box. Opening this box will grant players the opportunity to choose between 17 Comm Badges as account-wide unlocks. Once unlocked, these immediately become accessible from any Tailor for any Federation character on your entire account.

Because F kdf, I guess.

Normally I'd agree with the sentiment that Cryptic seems to too easily dismiss anything for KDFs but in this particular case being First Contact Day I don't understand why one would expect Starfleet/Federation badges for KDF?

Maybe if some of the (17) badges are of cultures aligned to both would make sense or non-aligned that would be good.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User

Because F kdf, I guess.

Normally I'd agree with the sentiment that Cryptic seems to too easily dismiss anything for KDFs but in this particular case being First Contact Day I don't understand why one would expect Starfleet/Federation badges for KDF?

I don't expect Starfleet/Federation badges for KDF. I expect a game's events and rewards to offer equity to its players, and not single out an entire faction.

I don't understand how you don't understand that.

Because F kdf, I guess.

I don't expect Starfleet/Federation badges for KDF. I expect a game's events and rewards to offer equity to its players, and not single out an entire faction.

I don't understand how you don't understand that.

Pretty simple for this event, KDF had absolutely zilch to do with First Contact Day. It's called context, perhaps the next event will be primarily focused on KDF, like a recent event was. To paraphrase, "how do you not understand that?".
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    The account unlock for last year's First Contact event has been fixed, the Toy Rocket and Phoenix Shuttle Hologram emitter are now reclaimable. I just did it and haven't even started the current First Contact event yet.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    The account unlock for last year's First Contact event has been fixed, the Toy Rocket and Phoenix Shuttle Hologram emitter are now reclaimable. I just did it and haven't even started the current First Contact event yet.

Nice & good to hear, thanks for checking too.
    edited April 2021
    Technically we starting a bit early this year April 1st, though not April 5th.

Thought I'd share this for everyone to still enjoy, not my own YouTube edit yet still thought it was good, given the spirit and time of year. Especially for those who want to Rock and Roll like Cochrane.

https://youtu.be/DYE3nm9voUk
    0zxlclk.png
    edited April 2021

Yes they are, I see them now from Events, Reclaim under Ground!

uBxliDK.png
    0zxlclk.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    If anyone still going for melee kills on a klink recruit bozeman will net you in the region of 100 a run if you park the boffs out the way so you only have seven to contend with for kills. On PC at least.

Shelved my ps4 recruit because the batleth was released without any closer and longstanding issue with perma cloaking so haqven't checked them yet.
    Oh joy, more trolling devices.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Since I got all the Badges early last year, my Klingon Recruit is grateful for the 150k XP Boosts.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    That XP Boost is the only alternative. If it is the same as last year, each Character that runs the Rocket Build, once a day, can get one. I believe they are Bound to Account.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Ran boozeman on my ps4 klink recruit and discovered that cryptic STILL hasn't seen fit to apply the updated batleth that PC got weeks before it arrived, which itself has been weeks and a couple of patches ago by this time for consoles.

ltminns wrote: »
    That XP Boost is the only alternative. If it is the same as last year, each Character that runs the Rocket Build, once a day, can get one. I believe they are Bound to Account.

You are correct upon all three sentences.
This discussion has been closed.