test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Turn off bloat visuals from ET,ST, and TT, and other buff and de-buff abilities PLEASE!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Not using traits and abilities that cause visual spam, isn't a serious solution.

Sure, the Kahless beacon can easily not be used and you could still do whatever you want in all the content. It's obviously different with the most basic healing powers (team abilities, hazard emitters) and captain abilities.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    So many traits/passives have animations I don't even recognize. Like from time to time a orange arrow just appears that points to my ship. I have no idea what is causing this, the animation itself conveys absolutely no useful information. Why does it have to exist?

This is so true! There are so many abilities out there it is impossible to know what every little visual blip is supposed to be telling you. Even if you memorize all the visuals for the abilities you are using, this is not help you when it comes to abilities that might be activated by your teammates that affect you.

There is this sci/tac/eng team like animation that appears sometimes that is purple, and I have no clue what it is. It is not one of my abilities, so it must be an ability of a teammate that is giving me an unknown buff. On Xbox, there is no way to check to see what my active effects are, so to this day I have no clue what this unknown ability is doing to me.

That sounds like Subnuke, a science power. next time you see it look at your timers, if they are slow that's what it is. Science Team clears it
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    We can make a ranking of the "best" effects here. My suggestions:
    1) Neutronic Eddy - because we like nothing but purple on the monitor
    2) Beacon of Kahless - to be blind is fun!
    3) Plasma Storm module - let's take a huge visual effect across half the screen from the Badlands, yay!
    4) Electrified Anomalies - yellow flashes do nothing but have a sound effect

What's worse, the game runs on the old engine and if more of those effects appear, fps crash dramatically.

And my personal one:
    Na'kuhl Daemosh Science Vessel- the sound of the engines, which cannot be switched off in any way, is about as pleasant as when a neighbor drills into a wall

• Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    I would love a toggle to turn off anything triggered by Boff abilities. Like the sparkles on Kemocite Laced Weaponry. Or the glow from Brace for Impact. Of the gigantic symbols that appear for Engineering Team, Science Team, etc.

When I go into battle I look like a Unicorn on some spastic acid trip, not a Starfleet vessel. Kind of breaks the fun, and it covers up the really awesome looking ship in an explosion of lights and colors that makes no sense.

Is there any way you guys can make this as a setting in the settings menu, you already can with toggling directional shield effects, now can you take one step further and make it for the other visuals that are triggered by buff and de-buff abilities.

You do realize the setting for "Bloom" will greatly reduce the amount of lighting present on effects, right? Just move the slider to the left.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    We can make a ranking of the "best" effects here. My suggestions:
    1) Neutronic Eddy - because we like nothing but purple on the monitor
    2) Beacon of Kahless - to be blind is fun!
    3) Plasma Storm module - let's take a huge visual effect across half the screen from the Badlands, yay!
    4) Electrified Anomalies - yellow flashes do nothing but have a sound effect

What's worse, the game runs on the old engine and if more of those effects appear, fps crash dramatically.

And my personal one:
    Na'kuhl Daemosh Science Vessel- the sound of the engines, which cannot be switched off in any way, is about as pleasant as when a neighbor drills into a wall

Oh, man, that last one. Years back I scraped up the EC to buy the Acheros, 'cause who doesn't like a battle-cloaking battlecruiser? And then had to bench the ship right quick, because the engine noise drove me mad. Not amused at how much EC I wasted, all because of a stupid sound effect.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    I would support a toggle for the abilities both for the summoner and the one seeing it who is not summoning it.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I would support a toggle for the abilities both for the summoner and the one seeing it who is not summoning it.

Yes, two toggles/sliders, one for own abilities and one for others abilities! I would prefer a slider that can change the transparency of the abilities from 0% (how they appear now) to 100% (completely transparent/no visual at all).
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    It's not just space maps where this is a problem. I seriously haven't a clue what's going on on ground maps most of the time, because of the "effects spam". Even simple (old) things like shield generators make half the screen invisible.
  • Options
    There could be separate toggles/sliders for space and ground. I hate running things like Bug Hunt because I can't see what is going on 90% of the time; I basically just spray-and-pray because I can't see what I am shooting at.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Beacon of Khaless is the only one that really needs to be outlawed. Whiting-out the entire screen is just dumb design.

3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Beacon of Khaless is the only one that really needs to be outlawed. Whiting-out the entire screen is just dumb design.

There's actually many more effects that needs to be toned down - starting with the Eddies, for example. Even GW, especially if buffed with things like the spore anomalies, needs to be revisited: and this comes from someone that is proud of her mega-well build and ship. Still, I realize that it can be pretty bothersome.

All in all, they should just give us a slider to tone down - or remove entirely - the visual effects.
    A double slider - for our own effects and other players effects - has was suggested would be even more appreciated, but I'll take even just one, as long as I can actually see what the hell is going on on my screen.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I think the worst 2 maps for visual spam are Crystal Entity and Bug Hunt. In to the Hive can also be a problem where too much visual spam and sometimes I can't make out when the plates are plates charged.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • Options
    I think the worst 2 maps for visual spam are Crystal Entity and Bug Hunt. In to the Hive can also be a problem where too much visual spam and sometimes I can't make out when the plates are plates charged.

Let's just hope that if Cryptic does listen to players and gives us a toggle, the toggle doesn't remove visuals like those for the charged plates in ITH. Can they separate player effects from environmental ones?
  • Options
    galacticgoogalacticgoo Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Instead of editing each effect, a simple solution (assuming the brain drain from MtG is reversed and we get our software engineers back) is to just add a effects brightness slider in options. Don't want anything to show, set the slider to zero. Want what we currently have, set the slider to 100. Want to just barely see them, set the slider to 5. It's easy piezy for a software engineer to edit the display code to do this (as a start).

I really hate how Cryptic turns simple things into a Manhattan Project to complete because the STO software people have been drained away to another project and those left behind don't really have the expertise (note, those left behind do an amazing job, they are just not software engineers).
This discussion has been closed.