test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

All turret setup.

disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
Back in the dark ages, there was a time when there were no fed cruisers could use cannons, and the turn rates were glacial.

In those dark times was born a creature, the all turret cannon setup. It's purpose was to deal damage in any direction, regardless of turn rate.

Lately I've been thinking of trying this setup again, for no other reason than to resurrect an abomination for fun and profit.

The question is this, where do I start?

I could start with what we had then and build up but, so much has been added, it might be best to pre optimize.

So, are there any suggestions on ships, gear, etc.?
As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    Turrets may be inferior dps but they can still be pretty fun. I recommend only going for a turret build on a ship that's so slow its hard to make effective use of cannons. But you need decent tac seating to get any mileage out of them. I'd say Lieutenant Commander Tac seat atleast, but if you've got a Tac commander slot on a slow moving ship then that's even better. I'd still recommend a torpedo for a set bonus atleast, there's a few good ones.

Pick a damage type and stick with it, polaron, tetryon, phaser.

Its been so long since I ran mine I'm not sure what the best gear other than that would be. Ba'aul refraction can be pretty fun, especially with scatter volley.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    It’s a personal preference thing but when I do this I start with trying to work out how many heavy turrets can be used together. Then build around heavy turrets first filling in the gaps with basic turrets.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    A protonic-polaron turret build was pretty potent when the proc was still per shot. I can imagine six turrets with [rapid] mod would be fun.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    The damage output of turrets is low; the potential to boost turnrates and piloting skills for dual cannons on the other side is high. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Actually recently did this on my Quas healboat. While a large part of it was primarily for cosmetics(the ships looks lovely shooting Temporal Defense prismatic bolts), I was relatively pleased with the performance over the old Vaadwaur Beams setup It used to run.

Seeing as Energy Weapons weren't the primary focus of the ship, and it uses a very 'park and pew' playstyle, the ship did have issues maintaining constant high power flow and keeping a full broadside on potential targets. These are the main perks of an all-turret build:
    -Less Power Draw(primarily important for ships with 8x weapons energy weapons)
    -Turret builds work better where you're sitting stationary for prolonged periods of time("Anchored" trait is a great synergy).

My Quas basically functions like a mobile repair station while constantly projecting out restorative 'auras' of healing. It parks, with the anchored trait and gets more potent the longer it sits still. I probably wouldn't recommend the setup for most energy weapon centered builds, but if energy weapons are a secondary focus, a turret setup can work pretty well.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    It's very viable for Normal and Advanced and it's super easy to do. I have an Eclipse Intel Cruiser build that I run sometimes as a 'for fun' thing. Obviously, this isn't intended to win any DPS races but it can clear maps quickly.

The truth is, in todays setting, Turret builds really are just something you do if you just like the idea. As Pete said above, with everything that's been added to the game to help large ships turn, the only reason to not use Dual Cannons is if you're on a ship that is restricted from using them. Any ship that's allowed to use Cannons is viable given everything you can do to make them turn better.

That being the case, the key things for my turret build are the starship trait Withering Barrage, and a bunch of set items. It's a very simple idea, you could push damage higher with Sensor Linked Turrets or by swapping out one of the consoles (Borg) for the DPRM Console, but this is a pretty budget build that is slapped together out of boredom and just for fun. I also recommend using Power to Engines with the Emergency Conn Hologram from the Phoenix Box so you can zip around as fast as possible just spitting fire everywhere.

Practical? Not really..
    Powerful? Na.. more like 'acceptable'

Fun? Heck yeah! :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I have a dated SC/Turret build on a Pyramid ship, but currently i feel the best ship at this time is the Feklir Carrier because of the boff seating.

Trick is to keep everything close so reverse tractor beam, tractor beam console (don't recall name at the moment) Fek'lir chain console etc.

Pull em close, pop an "Emit unstable warp Bubble" to debuff and shred them.

The mission reward trait which does extra damage to foes within 5Km and the https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Tactical_-_Fek'ihri_Torment_Engine

With this set i would use corrosive plasma.

If you can get the positioning right you can lift the damage to mid level DPS range.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    Good points all.

I am generally space rich so I'm a bit spoiled for choice when it comes to the ship.

I was thinking of maybe the galor since I haven't used it yet, but then maybe one of the legendary mw ships would be better since I could use exceed limits and get the extra consoles for damage boosts.

Maybe a utility torp.

Does any one have any experience with what exactly the torment engine boosts? I saw it's non hazard damage sources. Other than plasma prices are there any weapon s it boosts?

[Team]Sh'Kopeloth@queldelaquela92#626:SCM - Infected [3/2] (S) - [03:57] DMG(DPS) - @queldelaquela92#6264: 22.19M(93.57K) @Disposeable: 6.98M(29.96K) @carlwaynemarshall: 5.56M(23.72K) @wadlbeisser01: 4.56M(19.67K) @Todd_e: 3.42M(14.52K)

This was an ISA

So, that's what I got with the setup I threw together.

Its an aux2batt build with 3 blue technicians, beckett and a space nurse

Legendary Excelsior Miracle Worker Heavy Cruiser [T6-X] Tier 6-X
    Fore Weapon 1 Very Rare Omni-Directional Chronometric Polaron Beam Array Mk XII
    Fore Weapon 2 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret
    Fore Weapon 3 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret
    Fore Weapon 4 Very Rare Advanced Piezo-Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII
    Deflector Rare Kobali Deflector Array Mk XII
    Impulse Ultra Rare Elite Fleet Efficient Hyper-Impulse Engines Mk XII [Pow] [Spd] [Turn]x2
    Core Ultra Rare Elite Fleet Plasma-Integrated Warp Core Mk XII [A->W] [ACap] [AMP] [Eff] [Trans]
    Shield Array Ultra Rare Elite Fleet Adaptive Resilient Shield Array Mk XIV [Adapt] [Cap]x2 [ResB]
    Aft Weapon 1 Very Rare Omni Directional Polaron Beam Array Mk XIV [Over]
    Aft Weapon 2 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret
    Aft Weapon 3 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret
    Aft Weapon 4 Very Rare Inhibiting Polaron Turret Mk XIII [CrtD] [CrtH] [Dmg]
    Device Slot 1
    Device Slot 2
    Device Slot 3
    Device Slot 4
    Device Slot 5 Red Matter Capacitor
    Engineering Console 1 Ultra Rare Console - Universal - Assimilated Module Mk XV
    Engineering Console 2 Epic Console - Universal - Hull Image Refractors
    Engineering Console 3 Ultra Rare Console - Universal - Piezo-Electric Focuser Mk XV
    Engineering Console 4 Ultra Rare Console - Engineering - Trellium-D Plating Mk XV
    Engineering Console 5 Ultra Rare Console - Engineering - Conductive RCS Accelerator Mk XV [+Turn]
    Science Console 1 Console - Universal - Ablative Hazard Shielding
    Science Console 2 Console - Universal - Variable Auto-Targeting Armament
    Tactical Console 1 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Tactical Console 2 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Tactical Console 3 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Tactical Console 4 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Universal Console 1 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Polaron Phase Modulator Mk XI
    Universal Console 2 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Polaron Phase Modulator Mk XI
    BRIDGE OFFICERS
    Lieutenant Universal
    Science
    Ensign: Hazard Emitters I
    Lieutenant: Science Team II
    Ensign Universal
    Science
    Ensign: Polarize Hull I
    Commander Engineering Miracle Worker
    Ensign: Emergency Power to Weapons I
    Lieutenant: Auxiliary to Battery I
    Lt. Commander: Mixed Armaments Synergy II
    Commander: Energy Weapons: Exceed Rated Limits III
    Lt. Commander Engineering Pilot
    Ensign: Engineering Team I
    Lt. Commander: Hold Together II
    Lt. Commander Tactical
    Ensign: Tactical Team I
    Lieutenant: Attack Pattern Beta I
    Lt. Commander: Torpedo: High Yield III

personal traits are
    ablative shell
    eps manifold efficiency
    bulkhead technician
    grace under fire
    intense focus
    operative
    pattern recognition
    shield technician
    warp theorist

ship traits are
    history will remember
    emergency weapon cycle
    a good day to die
    over powered over gunned
    regeneration cycle

rep traits are
    advanced engines
    enhanced shield penetration
    tylers duality
    enhanced rending shots

edited March 2021
    [Team]Sh'Kopeloth@queldelaquela92#626:SCM - Infected [3/2] (S) - [03:57] DMG(DPS) - @queldelaquela92#6264: 22.19M(93.57K) @Disposeable: 6.98M(29.96K) @carlwaynemarshall: 5.56M(23.72K) @wadlbeisser01: 4.56M(19.67K) @Todd_e: 3.42M(14.52K)

Legendary Excelsior Miracle Worker Heavy Cruiser [T6-X] Tier 6-X
    Fore Weapon 1 Very Rare Omni-Directional Chronometric Polaron Beam Array Mk XII
    Fore Weapon 2 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret Mk XII
    Fore Weapon 3 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret Mk XII
    Fore Weapon 4 Very Rare Advanced Piezo-Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII
    Deflector Rare Kobali Deflector Array Mk XII
    Impulse Ultra Rare Elite Fleet Efficient Hyper-Impulse Engines Mk XII [Pow] [Spd] [Turn]x2
    Core Ultra Rare Elite Fleet Plasma-Integrated Warp Core Mk XII [A->W] [ACap] [AMP] [Eff] [Trans]
    Shield Array Ultra Rare Elite Fleet Adaptive Resilient Shield Array Mk XIV [Adapt] [Cap]x2 [ResB]
    Aft Weapon 1 Very Rare Omni Directional Polaron Beam Array Mk XIV [Over]
    Aft Weapon 2 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret Mk XII
    Aft Weapon 3 Very Rare Thoron Infused Polaron Turret Mk XII
    Aft Weapon 4 Very Rare Inhibiting Polaron Turret Mk XII
    Device Slot 1
    Device Slot 2
    Device Slot 3
    Device Slot 4
    Device Slot 5 Red Matter Capacitor
    Engineering Console 1 Ultra Rare Console - Universal - Assimilated Module Mk XV
    Engineering Console 2 Epic Console - Universal - Hull Image Refractors
    Engineering Console 3 Ultra Rare Console - Universal - Piezo-Electric Focuser Mk XV
    Engineering Console 4 Ultra Rare Console - Engineering - Trellium-D Plating Mk XV
    Engineering Console 5 Ultra Rare Console - Engineering - Conductive RCS Accelerator Mk XV [+Turn]
    Science Console 1 Console - Universal - Ablative Hazard Shielding
    Science Console 2 Console - Universal - Variable Auto-Targeting Armament
    Tactical Console 1 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Tactical Console 2 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Tactical Console 3 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Tactical Console 4 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [+Pol]
    Universal Console 1 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Polaron Phase Modulator Mk XI
    Universal Console 2 Very Rare Console - Tactical - Polaron Phase Modulator Mk XI
    BRIDGE OFFICERS
    Lieutenant Universal
    Science
    Ensign Universal
    Science
    Lt. Commander Tactical

Doffs are 3 blue technicians, Beckett, and a space nurse.

Space traits are
    ablative shell
    Eps efficiency
    bulkhead technician
    grace under fire
    intense focus
    operative
    pattern recognition
    shield technician
    warp theorist
    Liberated borg human

ship traits are
    history will remember
    emergency weapon cycle
    a good day to die
    over powered over gunned
    regeneration cucle

rep traits are
    advanced engines
    enhanced shield pen
    tylers duality
    rending shots

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Personally I have never done a turret build, but I'll throw out some ideas.

A MW ship is always a good choice for energy builds, and exceed rated limits would work very well for a mostly stationary ship. Don't overlook the possibility of adding in 180 torpedoes which then let you run mixed armaments synergy too and at worst lose 1 weapon slot that won't be firing. Mines might work for that too if you wanted to get hot pursuit.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User

Legendary Excelsior Miracle Worker Heavy Cruiser [T6-X]
    BRIDGE OFFICERS
    Lieutenant Universal
    Science
    Ensign Universal
    Science
    Lt. Commander Tactical

Doffs are 3 blue technicians, Beckett, and a space nurse.
    You're running 5 turrets. Have you considered replacing Torpedo High Yield III with Cannon Scatter Volley 2 so you can buff up the majority of your weapons? Perhaps try 7 turrets and keep your Omni Directional Beam Array for mixed armaments synergy.

Personally I'd invert the whole thing and go with 7 beams and a turret with BFAW or BO3 but this is a turret build thread :smile:
    > @protoneous said:
    > You're running 5 turrets. Have you considered replacing Torpedo High Yield III with Cannon Scatter Volley 2 so you can buff up the majority of your weapons? Perhaps try 7 turrets and keep your Omni Directional Beam Array for mixed armaments synergy.
    >
    > Personally I'd invert the whole thing and go with 7 beams and a turret with BFAW or BO3 but this is a turret build thread :smile:

Lol I only had 5 that's why I went with mixed armament synergy.
    Exceed rated likits shares a cd on other energy weapon abilities. And with my a2b build another weapon skill would slow down how often I can pop it.

edited March 2021
    You only need 1 of another type of weapon to proc Mixed Armaments Synergy, so if you're using a 'Turret Boat' one omni would be enough, there is really no need to have more then one beam, and you should definitely drop the torp. Your best advantage is that you don't have to 'face' anything in order to fire any of your weapons, the torpedo runs counter to that.
    Lieutenant Universal
    Science
    Ensign Universal
    Science
    Lt. Commander Tactical

So, I'll be honest.. your BoFF layout confuses me.. a lot.

It's a Miracle Worker ship and you're not taking advantage of your best MW ability Mixed Armaments Synergy. This is, quite frankly, perhaps THE most powerful single Bridge Officer ability for Directed Energy Weapon builds. You're also running turrets with nothing to buff them? no Scatter Volley or Rapid fire? Allow me to provide a revised solution if I may..
    Lieutenant Universal
    Science

Ensign Universal
    Tactical
    Ensign: Kemocite-Laced Weaponry 1

Ensign: Engineering Team
    Lt. Commander: Narrow Sensor Bands III
    Commander: Mixed Armaments Synergy III

Ensign: Emergency Power to Engines/Shields (whichever you prefer)
    Lt. Commander: Emergency Power to Weapons III

Lt. Commander Tactical
    Lt. Commander: Cannon: Scatter Volley II

If you have access to the Withering Barrage Trait, with your A2B layout you would have near constant up time on Scatter Volley. Narrow Sensor Bands also offsets the accuracy hit from not being able to use Scatter Volley at rank III and gives you a nice rotation of tactical skills.

That's just a suggestion, I get that you're not really trying to get a high parse but this will at least give you a boost. If you just wanted a better parse, swap out Scatter Volley for Fire At Will III and change the weapons to all beams and one turret.. you'll triple your parse instantly. :smile:
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > You only need 1 of another type of weapon to proc Mixed Armaments Synergy, so if you're using a 'Turret Boat' one omni would be enough, there is really no need to have more then one beam, and you should definitely drop the torp. Your best advantage is that you don't have to 'face' anything in order to fire any of your weapons, the torpedo runs counter to that.
    >
    >
    > So, I'll be honest.. your BoFF layout confuses me.. a lot.
    >
    > It's a Miracle Worker ship and you're not taking advantage of your best MW ability Mixed Armaments Synergy. This is, quite frankly, perhaps THE most powerful single Bridge Officer ability for Directed Energy Weapon builds. You're also running turrets with nothing to buff them? no Scatter Volley or Rapid fire? Allow me to provide a revised solution if I may..
    >
    >
    >
    > If you have access to the Withering Barrage Trait, with your A2B layout you would have near constant up time on Scatter Volley. Narrow Sensor Bands also offsets the accuracy hit from not being able to use Scatter Volley at rank III and gives you a nice rotation of tactical skills.
    >
    > That's just a suggestion, I get that you're not really trying to get a high parse but this will at least give you a boost. If you just wanted a better parse, swap out Scatter Volley for Fire At Will III and change the weapons to all beams and one turret.. you'll triple your parse instantly. :smile:

So the two beams is because this is a scrap build so far. I didn't have enough turrets but I did have 2 omnis.

I went with exceed limits because it's a firing haste ability and works with the beams and the cannons. If you look I also have the trait for eptw to add a damage boost and cycle haste.

And as I stated before exceed limits shares a cd with other energy weapon abilities.

The torp is there for the 2 pice lukari damage bonus

The ship is pretty maneuverable. I wasn't originally going to keep the torp but honest I can get it on target pretty fast and the omni directional energy dmage I'd gaid from another turret probably wouldn't cover the loss of the set bonus.

And as I stated before exceed limits shares a cd with other energy weapon abilities.

I am aware which is why I proposed removing it. I know that firing cycle haste is nice, and it sounds like it would be a strong ability, but it's an ability that doesn't perform well.. at all. Which is why you never see anyone using it.

Overall though, it's all good.. if you like the build as it is then that is the most important thing. I was under the impression you were looking for build advice so I offered some suggestions.. the most important thing is that you are happy with the build. I would do it differently, which is fine for me. :smile:
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > I am aware which is why I proposed removing it. I know that firing cycle haste is nice, and it sounds like it would be a strong ability, but it's an ability that doesn't perform well.. at all. Which is why you never see anyone using it.
    >
    > Overall though, it's all good.. if you like the build as it is then that is the most important thing. I was under the impression you were looking for build advice so I offered some suggestions.. the most important thing is that you are happy with the build. I would do it differently, which is fine for me. :smile:

No worries, I'm on mobile atm so I'm probably coming off a bit terse due to lazyness.

If I keep upgrading the equipment then I may change it. As stated before it was all stuff I had laying about, which is why there's only 5 turrets. Who needs more than 3 usually? I'd have to go buy mas3 and nsb, maybe even get the 2 heavy polaron turrets, gamma rep and the chronometric polaron has one I believe.

Do the crafted abilities share cd with the player ones? Like, if I get a bunch of turrets with [rapid] would that interfere with a csv?

I have never run with more than one before.

Do the crafted abilities share cd with the player ones? Like, if I get a bunch of turrets with [rapid] would that interfere with a csv?

No, weapon mods do not conflict with bridge officer powers, you could run Rapid Turrets without effecting cool down on Rapid Fire.