test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

More content and options needed!

andrew3002andrew3002 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
I have been off STO for the past 5 years, i recently logged back on to find very little had actually changed, i seem to spend about 3 hours a week online just doing the Endeavours and then log off.

I think it would be good to introduce a "holodeck" where people can actually do missions based on actual episodes, for example Doomsday Machine, Neutral Zone, Day of the Dove, Best of Both Worlds etc. Just introduce a new one every 2/3 months and build up a catalogue of content for people to keep coming back and playing. we also need more TOS ships as fleet ships so people can actuall role play etc. Its frustrating to have a star trek game where you can properly indulge! the game needs to allow people to tailor make their own experience!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I don't know about holodeck missions, I mean we already have an episode where we fight the doomsday device etc.

But I agree in so far as people should be able to 'write their own stories' - a game mode that resembles an open ended mission generator like the old exploration missions that allow you to progress through some kind of system and allow you to unlock visuals, titles and so forth would be a good idea. However, the majority of the playerbase prefer story missions
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    So instead of introducing new episodes that progress the plot every 3-4 months you want to to churn out holodeck recreations of old episodes once every 3 months?

And this is more content how?

I have to agree with som on this one. This isn't adding more content. Its just trading one kind for another for equal work. And not everyone wants to fight the Battle of Wolf 359, Chintoka, or whatever. Some of us actually want to see what happens next in the story of STO. And we do get the occasional episode referencing events from the shows. Measure of Morality is basically a sequel to the TOS Episode involving the Excalbians. Temporal Ambassador plays off both the Enterprise mirror episodes (Tholians capturing ships for study) and Yesterday's Enterprise from TNG.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,599 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't know about holodeck missions, I mean we already have an episode where we fight the doomsday device etc.

But I agree in so far as people should be able to 'write their own stories' - a game mode that resembles an open ended mission generator like the old exploration missions that allow you to progress through some kind of system and allow you to unlock visuals, titles and so forth would be a good idea. However, the majority of the playerbase prefer story missions

1. it's an episode and a tfo, and 2, the foundry is gone and it's highly doubtful it will return
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    So instead of introducing new episodes that progress the plot every 3-4 months you want to to churn out holodeck recreations of old episodes once every 3 months?

all i am saying is that in addition to new stories they create a "holodeck" and upload role playing stories etc.

At the moment i literally log on, do the endeavours and log off. There is NOTHING to keep me playing the game. It would be good for there to be more choice etc to keep the interest going between big releases.
  • Options
    Trying to add these holodeck simulations on top of their current workload effectively DOUBLES their workload. And Cryptic's team isn't the biggest out there. The current output is, as far as we know, the best they can do. Unless they double the size of the Dev Team and the resources they have access to, adding holodeck simulations on top of their current content drops is unfeasable and will just bog down what we already get, extending the amount of time between content drops by at least a factor of 2.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    As I've said many times before people seem to underestimate what it takes to make the episodes with such consistency that I suspect it's willful ignorance.

For "Holodeck simulations" of previous episodes not only would Cryptic have to adapt the TV scripts into something that works in the game, they'd have to recreate the environments even that parts not seen in TV and figure out how those parts connect with each other again due to STO being a game and not TV episode and the OP is suggesting doing that in addition to regular episodes, sorry but quite frankly the resource reserve the OP thinks is there simply doesn't exist.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    It would also mean replacing all of the cast from the original show with "Kroger's Avengers" - https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2020/08/12/avengers

It also might require additional licensing and payments to use the original scripts, which isn't the case for follow-up stories.

Maybe if this was WoW with millions paying $15 a month + $xx for expansion packs.
  • Options
    It would also mean replacing all of the cast from the original show with "Kroger's Avengers" - https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2020/08/12/avengers

It also might require additional licensing and payments to use the original scripts, which isn't the case for follow-up stories.

Maybe if this was WoW with millions paying $15 a month + $xx for expansion packs.

Well they seem to have the rights to use likenesses of everyone but Shatner for TOS due them being used in AoY but they'd have to use recordings from the episodes for most of the TOS cast limiting their options, meaning the options for adapting those episodes for STO.

Then you got the issues with rights for TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, DSC and PIC.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    andrew3002 wrote: »

all i am saying is that in addition to new stories they create a "holodeck" and upload role playing stories etc.

At the moment i literally log on, do the endeavours and log off. There is NOTHING to keep me playing the game. It would be good for there to be more choice etc to keep the interest going between big releases.

THERE IS NO IN ADDITION TO. There is INSTEAD OF. Or do you think they can magically create these things with no dev time? Or are you stupid enough to think that recreating episodes in this game is somehow going to be less work than doing their own story episodes?

This.

Bad idea.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    Honestly I got a feeling that the OP seems to think there's this massive resource reserve Cryptic isn't using for "reasons" and they just plug that into what ever the forums ask them to do.

Games are always gonna be limited on what they can depict, there's a reason why WoW has only "Classic" and "Retail" and not also "WC1", "WC2" and "WC3" servers or why the game Director for FF14 said making a "Classic 1.0" server for FF14 would be a nightmare and these are games made by much larger companies and with much more resources put into them and even they won't do "each player can do their personal version of the game".

STO is a TNG era game (note that I'm counting PIC as part of the TNG era here) so most content will be of that era as it's where the devs are focusing. Note that while J'Ula, Akaar and L'Rell are present in the current storyline it's set in the 25th Century not the 23rd Century so the story is STO original not DSC.
  • Options

THERE IS NO IN ADDITION TO. There is INSTEAD OF. Or do you think they can magically create these things with no dev time? Or are you stupid enough to think that recreating episodes in this game is somehow going to be less work than doing their own story episodes?

first of all drop the nasty, disrespectful attitude, i have reported you for this, there is no need and i will not tolerate it from ANYONE. No i do not think that cryptic is able to magic up new content. what i am saying is that there needs to be more new content added which allows people to stay connected to the game more and tailor the gaming experience. In the 5 years that i have been offline, there has been very little change in the game. at the moment i play the game for an hour, get bored and log off. There are loads of others like this. it was a simple a suggestion in an attempt to see if it was possible so people kept interest. Or would you rather have loads of people log off, never return and the game get shelved?

Either way, there is NO NEED for the nasty attitude and if you carry on i will report you again.

End of.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Honestly I got a feeling that the OP seems to think there's this massive resource reserve Cryptic isn't using for "reasons" and they just plug that into what ever the forums ask them to do.

Games are always gonna be limited on what they can depict, there's a reason why WoW has only "Classic" and "Retail" and not also "WC1", "WC2" and "WC3" servers or why the game Director for FF14 said making a "Classic 1.0" server for FF14 would be a nightmare and these are games made by much larger companies and with much more resources put into them and even they won't do "each player can do their personal version of the game".

STO is a TNG era game (note that I'm counting PIC as part of the TNG era here) so most content will be of that era as it's where the devs are focusing. Note that while J'Ula, Akaar and L'Rell are present in the current storyline it's set in the 25th Century not the 23rd Century so the story is STO original not DSC.

No i do not think there is a massive resource, i just think there needs to be new game content like the original foundry that keeps people interested in the game. Rather than logging on, doing the endeavors and then logging off.

It was a simple suggestion, no need to get rude.
  • Options

No i do not think there is a massive resource, i just think there needs to be new game content like the original foundry that keeps people interested in the game. Rather than logging on, doing the endeavors and then logging off.

Here's the catch your idea is utterly and totally unworkable as there is not enough people who can do it, you're asking to effectively to double the work Cryptic is doing at moment.

As for the Foundry it was removed because it was a pain to keep running and while making the missions was done by players (I used to be Foundry Author before it shut down) replicating old episodes was not allowed and honestly it's not something Cryptic could realistically allow either (too much of a legal headache).

And as it has been pointed out by me and others Cryptic does not have resources to do this in addition to currently produced content.
  • Options

Here's the catch your idea is utterly and totally unworkable as there is not enough people who can do it, you're asking to effectively to double the work Cryptic is doing at moment.

As for the Foundry it was removed because it was a pain to keep running and while making the missions was done by players (I used to be Foundry Author before it shut down) replicating old episodes was not allowed and honestly it's not something Cryptic could realistically allow either (too much of a legal headache).

And as it has been pointed out by me and others Cryptic does not have resources to do this in addition to currently produced content.

If you cast your mind back the foundry was content MADE BY THE PLAYERS. all cryptic has to do is come up with a new version, it wont be doubling cryptic's workload at all that is a full on exaggeration, Cryptic has admitted that they shelved foundry because it was getting harder and harder to make it work in the game. It is fully workable, it may take some time to implement, but it is workable, only defeatist's use negative words and come out with excuses to not do something.
  • Options

If you cast your mind back the foundry was content MADE BY THE PLAYERS. all cryptic has to do is come up with a new version, it wont be doubling cryptic's workload at all that is a full on exaggeration, Cryptic has admitted that they shelved foundry because it was getting harder and harder to make it work in the game. It is fully workable, it may take some time to implement, but it is workable, only defeatist's use negative words and come out with excuses to not do something.

I believe the issue is that you're over estimating the resources of the developers of this game.

Star Trek Online is made by a very small group of people.. the total number of people working on the development of this game is probably single digits. I have never seen an actual number, but we are constantly told that the staff is small and stretched to the very maximum just to keep the game going. Many features have been addressed by Cryptic as something they 'just don't have time' to do, a project like what you're suggesting would be a massive undertaking for such a small group.

When you say "It is fully workable, it may take some time to implement" you might be right. It might be fully workable, but the problem is the time to implement. During that time, literally nothing else would be done on the game. How ever long it takes for this small group to develop this idea, that's time that the game is not getting any other new content at all.

Your suggestion comes from a good place, and it's not a bad suggestion. The issue is that for the company you're suggesting it to, it's just not realistic. We have heard multiple times that STO is the most financially successful that it's ever been right now. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any of that extra profit has gone into expanding the staff available to work on the game, and that's a shame. Maybe if they ever allocate enough funds to expand the studio, your idea can have merit. For now though, it just seems entirely unrealistic.
  • Options

You are right...making an updated foundry that won't break ever major update won't double their workload. It will increase it by 10 folds...AT LEAST. You literally seem to have no understanding of dev time at all...or the basics of how a business works. And somebody who disagrees with you is not bring rude. If you can't take somebody telling that you have a bad idea, just keep your mouth shut in the future. You know what you get when you have a dev team that don't know what the word limitation means? Star Citizen. A game that will never release because the devs don't know when to say no, that takes too long.

your the one who obviously doesn't know know how development works. Also i have no issues with people disagreeing with me, what I do have issues with, are trolls like you who think its ok to get nasty and disrespectful in their responses for no reason. you cannot deny it as its on the forum for everyone to read.
  • Options
    I used to be a Foundry author when the Foundry was still up and not only was the Foundry really buggy (when it worked at all), what we could do was also very limited.
    Foundry Terms of Service

And those are just the rules there was also the limitations of the tool itself.

there's a reasons Foundry 2.0 is FCT topic.

Replicating old episode was out, as I mentioned before CBS wouldn't allow it, also using the likeness of the Trek actors was out as US copyright laws wouldn't allow it.
  • Options
    Alright guys cool it down. If the jousting continues I will close this.

Ok... mod hat off for a minute so I'm just a normal forumite expressing MY opinion: Coldnapalm is pretty much the sledgehammer of the forums. Blunt and right to the point weither you like it or not. In this case cold is actually in the right in saying that the Dev Team can't add on more work like was suggested in the OP. And has been backed up by several people.
    Even I've butted heads with cold in the past. But... I respect their position. We got all kinds here, and Coldnapalm comes across as the type to just plow through right to the point and not beat around the bush. May come across as aggressive, and may catch the attention of Mods every once in a while, but... cold wouldn't be cold if they walked on eggshells on subjects.
    No I am not giving you a free pass either cold. Still respect ya, but if I gotta do my duty, I'll do it. Please put the jousting lance away. You've made your point. And I will also say the same to you andrew. You've made your counterpoint, please don't pick a fight.

Now... further expanding on what has been said as counterarguments... pretty much every counterargument against adding more content is true. Cryptic is not big enough to support that level of work. Maybe if they weren't running three MMOs with a fourth in development, as well as running the console versions, they might. But at the end of the day Cryptic is not the MMO powerhouse that companies like Square Enix or Blizzard are.

Trying to bring in a new version of the Foundry in any form is also not going to happen.
    A: It has been covered in the FCT.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0
    Please refer to section 24 of the FCT. I would quote it but it is actually one of the longer posts in the FCT.

B: The Devs actually did try to save the original Foundry, but couldn't. There was too much work, and literally every time the game got a major update, the Foundry broke, and they had to spend resources trying to solve that and... it was getting to an unsustainable point.

Ultimately... again it comes down to the fact Cryptic does not have the resources to support it. Wishing for more is fine, but the reality is that its not feasable.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Alright guys cool it down. If the jousting continues I will close this.

Ok... mod hat off for a minute so I'm just a normal forumite expressing MY opinion: Coldnapalm is pretty much the sledgehammer of the forums. Blunt and right to the point weither you like it or not. In this case cold is actually in the right in saying that the Dev Team can't add on more work like was suggested in the OP. And has been backed up by several people.
    Even I've butted heads with cold in the past. But... I respect their position. We got all kinds here, and Coldnapalm comes across as the type to just plow through right to the point and not beat around the bush. May come across as aggressive, and may catch the attention of Mods every once in a while, but... cold wouldn't be cold if they walked on eggshells on subjects.
    No I am not giving you a free pass either cold. Still respect ya, but if I gotta do my duty, I'll do it. Please put the jousting lance away. You've made your point. And I will also say the same to you andrew. You've made your counterpoint, please don't pick a fight.

Now... further expanding on what has been said as counterarguments... pretty much every counterargument against adding more content is true. Cryptic is not big enough to support that level of work. Maybe if they weren't running three MMOs with a fourth in development, as well as running the console versions, they might. But at the end of the day Cryptic is not the MMO powerhouse that companies like Square Enix or Blizzard are.

Trying to bring in a new version of the Foundry in any form is also not going to happen.
    A: It has been covered in the FCT.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0
    Please refer to section 24 of the FCT. I would quote it but it is actually one of the longer posts in the FCT.

B: The Devs actually did try to save the original Foundry, but couldn't. There was too much work, and literally every time the game got a major update, the Foundry broke, and they had to spend resources trying to solve that and... it was getting to an unsustainable point.

Ultimately... again it comes down to the fact Cryptic does not have the resources to support it. Wishing for more is fine, but the reality is that its not feasable.

First of all i am not picking a fight, my question was a perfectly valid one, but i will not sit around and let some bully/ troll get nasty or abusive, if i could have blocked him i would have done and not have him comment. But not dealing with the nastiness or trolling is essential condoning his behavior. Either a block feature needs to be introduced or when he steps over the line he needs to be suspended as a punishment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to jump in on the topic, however, NO ONE is entitled to troll, bully or get nasty. Had enough of that over the years and i will not tolerate it. This is especially considering the fact at the end of his last comment, you easily class "If you think you can go down the path of trading insults with me and win...boy, you have no idea what is coming your way" as a threat.

Sorry if you think i am overstepping the mark, but i am fed up of bullies and trolls being allowed to get away with their behavior, there needs to a block feature introduced so people can block the trolls and bullies so people can carry out debates and conversations with other like minded players.

Thanks
  • Options
    By you responding in kind to cold, you two were feeding off each other and escalating. So I said to knock it off on both sides. If you feel someone has crossed a line... don't feed it. Report it, and let us mods decide. Every post has a "Flag" button.
  • Options
    if i could have blocked him i would have done and not have him comment. But not dealing with the nastiness or trolling is essential condoning his behavior. Either a block feature needs to be introduced or when he steps over the line he needs to be suspended as a punishment.

A block feature just allows the forum to ignore him for you. Saying you would block him if you could, then saying ignoring him is condoning the behavior you believe to be unfit makes no sense. You just asked for a feature to help you condone behavior you see as volatile.

Honestly, it makes about as much sense as your initial post request. Maybe try requesting features that are feasible and make sense and perhaps you will receive a better reaction.
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Just my 2 cents. The best way to respond to a bully, (not calling anyone here one) or a troll is to basically ignore them and to just keep expressing yourself regardless of them in a non aggressive way. The moment you start feeding a bully/troll, you've already lost. Because at that point their only goal is to TRIBBLE you off, and get you to do/say something that gets you in trouble.

I've struggled with it on this forum too. At this point, I say my piece and leave. And IF someone replies in a nasty/immature/ridiculous way, I just respond with something positive that has nothing to do with what they think. That is the best way to disarm those kinds of people.

I do however support a block feature. ESO has something like that. It doesn't prevent the person from positing, but someone whose blocked them simply just won't see their posts. And I support that. I'm not of the belief that anyone should be forced to endure the thoughts or sayings of others if they don't want to. Discussion can still happen just as freely. some people just would not be forced to be exposed to each other, and that honestly can make for much more peaceful forums. It definitely helps the ESO forums be less hostile. And would probably have the same effect here.

The thing is, Cryptic has no control over that. You would have to contact Vanilla about it. Because these forums are run by them.

As for the thread's actual topic, if anything i'm more concerned about them shutting down the game due to the lack of resources/personnel, not lack of content. I wish this game would receive more of those things, but I don't think it will ever happen. Which is unfortunate. because this game could be better and even pull in even more cash if they injected some resources into it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • Options
    therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    > @livinlifejb90#4082 said:

> As for the thread's actual topic, if anything i'm more concerned about them shutting down the game due to the lack of resources/personnel, not lack of content. I wish this game would receive more of those things, but I don't think it will ever happen. Which is unfortunate. because this game could be better and even pull in even more cash if they injected some resources into it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is my concern as well. I think, with the new shows coming out, there would actually be a influx of dev talent to boost it as a companion game and cross promotion. Unless they’re secretly working on a STO 2.0 (I hope), the fact they’re still running ona skeleton crew is cause for concern. Star Trek is a IP that will always generate a fan base. Supporting the game should be a priority.
  • Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    As for the thread's actual topic, if anything i'm more concerned about them shutting down the game due to the lack of resources/personnel, not lack of content. I wish this game would receive more of those things, but I don't think it will ever happen. Which is unfortunate. because this game could be better and even pull in even more cash if they injected some resources into it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While they obviously don't have the resources of bigger companies like Blizzard, I don't think they're hurting for resources to the point where shutting down the game is an issue. I think they mentioned on a stream that they just hired someone, I think, for the core development team. (Which would mean the basic game engine STO/NW/Magic run on.) And last I checked they had other job openings. So if they're looking to hire, while at the same time launching a new game, then they seem to be doing alright financially. :)
This discussion has been closed.