test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some R&D endgame impressions

2»

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Power creep is one of the primary methods by which the game is monetized.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2021
    I'd personally like to see another R&D revamp to restore it to a useful state but I highly doubt that'll ever happen.
    Al Rivera has said in the past that the three system he wanted to revamp were R&D, Reputations, and DOFFing, in that order.

Well I'd really <3 to see a R&D revamp, yet mostly hope all 3 of those (above) mostly expands options! So how might they do this, well here is just my suggestion...

I've mostly used creativity to expand Materials or Synthetic Blends of those we've all seen in Star Trek. Since many of the Metals, Gases, and Particles we already have use solid Lore around them, why not just expand upon those with a few more rooted in Lore.

What I'd hope they do is expand R&D at 20, allowing people to combine various Materials, into Synthetic Compounds perhaps also mentioned in Trek Lore. This may also allow several new Very Rare or Ultra Materials/Components! So just as Iron & Carbon combine to make Steel, we'd see many synthetic or closely simulated variants, to expand options & choices within Research and Development Schools!

For example: Perhaps at 20, you'd be able to start making new very rare/ultra rare, Compound Materials or Synthetics?
    Duranium, Robidium, Verteron Particle & Tetrazine Gas combined to create Rodinium.
    ╘ 2-5 common, 1-3 uncommon, 1-2 rare/very rare combined to make a new synthetic compound/material.
    ╘ New compounds also expand the Very Rare/Ultra Components as well, depending on what's required... :o
    ╘ No changes be required to R&D Packs, yet be highly more useful, as people combine Materials or make choices...
    ╘ Given less use Components to create Superior Upgrades, they could be required in Ultra Components too.

Rodinium, is one of many we've not yet seen in STO despite having lore for it any several others show here.

Note: Neutronium
    In 2366, Doctor Paul Stubbs studied the cyclical decay of trace amounts of neutronium in the Kavis Alpha sector through the use of the probe "The Egg." (TNG: "Evolution")

In 2369, the USS Enterprise-D encountered the only known Dyson sphere. The structure was composed of a carbon-neutronium alloy and was impervious to phaser fire. (TNG: "Relics")

or

There are several others listed in Star Trek Materials on Wikipedia too.

Trellium-D, shown in Star Trek: Enterprise, was an alloy used in the Delphic Expanse as a protection against spatial anomalies there. It had unusual effects on Vulcan physiology, causing loss of emotional control, and became a recurring plot element in the third season of Star Trek: Enterprise, exploring the theme of drug addiction.

Other materials were occasionally mentioned in the scripts, such as nitrium, a radiation-resistant material.

Verterium cortenide is a usually synthetically generated compound, the only known substance to be capable of generating warp fields, when supplied with energy, in form of plasma, from the warp core. Warp coils are made of this material.

Kironide is a mineral by which, upon consuming plants containing the mineral, the Platonians (the inhabitants of the planet Platonius) acquire telekinetic powers, including the ability to levitate, in the original series episode "Plato's Stepchildren".[9]

Pergium is a substance mined in "The Devil in the Dark", and fictionally given the atomic number 112 as a chemical element in a non-canon Star Trek medical manual publication.

Corbomite was named by Captain Kirk in a bluff in "The Corbomite Maneuver" as a material and a device that prevents attack, because if any destructive energy touches the vessel, a reverse reaction of equal strength is created, destroying the attacker. This bluff was also used in "The Deadly Years" to escape the Romulans.

Archerite was named by Commander Shran also in a bluff in "Proving Ground" as a material that his ship was looking to mine, during an encounter at the test site of the Xindi planet killer weapon.

So here is at least 11 Materials/Compounds they could add or perhaps create a Synthetic Material based on the Materials in Trek Lore. 25th century technology has advanced (while we don't have Programmable Matter) we should be able to create a few Synthetic Material Compounds; by combining or breaking down a few more common, uncommon, rare, or very rare elements/materials into some of these:
    1. Rodinium
    2. Neutronium
    3. Tellium-A
    4. Trellium-D
    5. Nitrium
    6. Verterium Cortenide
    7. Kironide
    8. Pergium
    9. Corbomite
    10. Archerite
    11. Vertion particles - from TNG: "Emergence" as found https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Vertiform_City

Many can be found on Memory Alpha &/or Beta, they could also add several new Ultra Components, from several old & new Materials as well too!

Some have suggested they'd not want to see new levels of R&D, yet I understand if they raised it to 24-25, they could give a R&D (Bonus %) for those who achieved 20--similar yet different from REP Tier 5, depending upon required Research XP with other existing bonus. Perhaps they offer a buyout option(s) to 15, in CSTORE to help get the Trait and start the Journey for new players. Having a few new levels, may also allow slightly improved chances for Ultra Rare crafted item projects too, depending when or where the Project first unlocks; be it 15, 20, or 22? Perhaps 25 could unlock the Tittle of Professor in each School, or a slightly Alternative Trait, than what was given at 15. I've tried to incorporate feedback as some in this thread have asked for...

This just shows there's options to expand within Star Trek Lore, while working within the current system, and making it transformative in nature. Perhaps while adding 1-2 new crafted items in each school.

Hope if they do Reputations, or DOFF they also find a system that enhances & transforms, without replacing what's already there! As is the spirit of Star Trek! :)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    I'd personally like to see another R&D revamp to restore it to a useful state but I highly doubt that'll ever happen.
    Al Rivera has said in the past that the three system he wanted to revamp were R&D, Reputations, and DOFFing, in that order.

Well I'd really <3 to see a R&D revamp, yet mostly hope all 3 of those (above) mostly expands options! So how might they do this, well here is just my suggestion...

I've mostly used creativity to expand Materials or Synthetic Blends of those we've all seen in Star Trek. Since many of the Metals, Gases, and Particles we already have have solid Lore around, why not just expand upon those with a few more rooted in Lore.

What I'd hope they do is expand R&D at 20, allowing people to combine various Materials, into Synthetic Compounds perhaps also mentioned in Trek Lore. This may also allow several new Very Rare or Ultra Materials/Components! So just as Iron & Carbon combine to make Steel, we'd see many synthetic or closely simulated variants, expand options & choices within Research and Development Schools!

For example: Perhaps at 20, you'd be able to start making new very rare/ultra rare, Compound Materials or Synthetics?
    Duranium, Robidium, Verteron Particle & Tetrazine Gas combined to create Rodinium.
    ╘ 2-5 common, 1-3 uncommon, 1-2 rare/very rare combined to make a new synthetic compound/material.
    ╘ New compounds also expand the Very Rare/Ultra Components as well, depending on what's required... :o
    ╘ No changes be required to R&D Packs, yet be highly more useful, as people combine Materials or make choices...
    ╘ Given less use Components to create Superior Upgrades, they could be required in Ultra Components too.

Rodinium, is one of many we've not yet seen in STO despite having lore for it any several others show here.

In 2366, Doctor Paul Stubbs studied the cyclical decay of trace amounts of neutronium in the Kavis Alpha sector through the use of the probe "The Egg." (TNG: "Evolution")

In 2369, the USS Enterprise-D encountered the only known Dyson sphere. The structure was composed of a carbon-neutronium alloy and was impervious to phaser fire. (TNG: "Relics")

or

Trellium-D, shown in Star Trek: Enterprise, was an alloy used in the Delphic Expanse as a protection against spatial anomalies there. It had unusual effects on Vulcan physiology, causing loss of emotional control, and became a recurring plot element in the third season of Star Trek: Enterprise, exploring the theme of drug addiction.

Other materials were occasionally mentioned in the scripts, such as nitrium, a radiation-resistant material.

Verterium cortenide is a usually synthetically generated compound, the only known substance to be capable of generating warp fields, when supplied with energy, in form of plasma, from the warp core. Warp coils are made of this material.

Kironide is a mineral by which, upon consuming plants containing the mineral, the Platonians (the inhabitants of the planet Platonius) acquire telekinetic powers, including the ability to levitate, in the original series episode "Plato's Stepchildren".[9]

Pergium is a substance mined in "The Devil in the Dark", and fictionally given the atomic number 112 as a chemical element in a non-canon Star Trek medical manual publication.

Corbomite was named by Captain Kirk in a bluff in "The Corbomite Maneuver" as a material and a device that prevents attack, because if any destructive energy touches the vessel, a reverse reaction of equal strength is created, destroying the attacker. This bluff was also used in "The Deadly Years" to escape the Romulans.

Archerite was named by Commander Shran also in a bluff in "Proving Ground" as a material that his ship was looking to mine, during an encounter at the test site of the Xindi planet killer weapon.

So here is at 9 Materials/Compounds they could work to craft a Synthetic Material based on Trek Lore to it, and with 25 century technology having advanced to create a few of them from synthetic blends, combined or broken down from a few more common, uncommon, rare, or very rare elements/materials for some of these.
    1. Rodinium
    2. Neutronium
    3. Trellium-D
    4. Nitrium
    5. Verterium Cortenide
    6. Kironide
    7. Pergium
    8. Corbomite
    9. Archerite

They could also add several new Ultra Components that combine, from several Components or new Materials as well.

Some have suggested they'd not want to see new levels of R&D, yet I understand yet if they raised it to 24-25, if they gave a (bonus) R&D for those who achieved 20--similar was done for REP Tier 5, giving a bonus to characters who achieved it.
    Perhaps they offer a buyout option(s) to 15, in CSTORE to help get the Trait and start the Journey for new players. Having a few new levels, may also allow slightly improved chances for Ultra Rare crafted items projects too! As some have asked for...

This just shows there's options to work expand within Star Trek Lore, working also working within the current system, while highly evolving it to be transformative in nature all while adding 1-2 new crafted items in each school.

Hope if they do Reputations, or DOFF they also find a system that enhances & transforms, without replacing what's already there! As is the spirit of Star Trek! :)

I cannot state that I understood everything you mentioned in this post but I found it darn impressive & hope they (someone at Cryptic) will at least read your ideas. You apparently know or did your research.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    TL/DR

and devs won't read it either
  • piggles#7213 piggles Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I've given this all a quick read, but has no one mentioned for level 20 just adding improved versions of the traits?

As for improving the system as a whole, maybe add a link from reps (level 6) buy a unique component that is needed to craft a part of a new set for that rep, can only be done at level 15/20 depending quality
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I've given this all a quick read, but has no one mentioned for level 20 just adding improved versions of the traits?
    Good suggestion and you're right. It's pretty much a no-brainer.
    As for improving the system as a whole, maybe add a link from reps (level 6) buy a unique component that is needed to craft a part of a new set for that rep, can only be done at level 15/20 depending quality
    Not a bad idea. I would definitely think it should start at Level 20 crafting and T6 rep.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • piggles#7213 piggles Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    just to add to the "improved" part of the traits, I think we can all agree, just increasing the numbers wont make the lame ones anymore attractive, and infact increasing the science one would probably be a bit to OP, but they can be improved in other ways, adding more stuff like haste on cannons etc

oh and I do agree on the Level 20 for rep crafting, I just didn't wanna come accross as being a bit harsh.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    strathkin wrote: »

I've mostly used creativity to expand Materials or Synthetic Blends of those we've all seen in Star Trek. Since many of the Metals, Gases, and Particles we already have use solid Lore around them, why not just expand upon those with a few more rooted in Lore.

What I'd hope they do is expand R&D at 20, allowing people to combine various Materials, into Synthetic Compounds perhaps also mentioned in Trek Lore. This may also allow several new Very Rare or Ultra Materials/Components! So just as Iron & Carbon combine to make Steel, we'd see many synthetic or closely simulated variants, to expand options & choices within Research and Development Schools!

or

So here is at least 10 Materials/Compounds they could add or perhaps create a Synthetic Material based on the Materials in Trek Lore. 25th century technology has advanced (while we don't have Programmable Matter) we should be able to create a few Synthetic Material Compounds; by combining or breaking down a few more common, uncommon, rare, or very rare elements/materials into some of these:
    1. Rodinium
    2. Neutronium
    3. Trellium-A
    4. Trellium-D
    5. Nitrium
    6. Verterium Cortenide
    7. Kironide
    8. Pergium
    9. Corbomite
    10. Archerite

Many can be found on Memory Alpha &/or Beta, they could also add several new Ultra Components, from several new Materials as well, or are created from other Components too!

Some have suggested they'd not want to see new levels of R&D, yet I understand if they raised it to 24-25, they could give a R&D (Bonus %) for those who achieved 20--similar yet different from REP Tier 5, depending upon required Research XP with other existing bonus. Perhaps they offer a buyout option(s) to 15, in CSTORE to help get the Trait and start the Journey for new players. Having a few new levels, may also allow slightly improved chances for Ultra Rare crafted item projects too, depending when or where the Project first unlocks; be it 15, 20, or 22? Perhaps 25 could unlock the Tittle of Professor in each School, or a slightly Alternative Trait, than what was given at 15. I've tried to incorporate feedback as some in this thread have asked for...

This just shows there's options to expand within Star Trek Lore, while working within the current system, and making it transformative in nature. Perhaps while adding 1-2 new crafted items in each school.

Fascinating! I skimmed it but these are good ideas.

P.S. Read it all, very impressive and a lot of food for thought.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited March 2021
    TL/DR

and devs won't read it either

How about you stop with the excuse it is too long to read and instead read it! Also, how do you know the devs won't read it either? Are you an insider?
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    edited March 2021
    [Redacted]
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    edited March 2021
    All we can do it put it out in the Universe. <3

Though I just hope they make it transformative in nature, as I've tried to show without stopping existing progression, or rendering old Materials worthless. I wanted to explore how several old materials/components could still be used, or transformed into new Synthetic Materials; or even old Components into some new higher quality ones.

It simply be about making a choices depending what level your school is at. I thought it also be nice to earn Professor of Engineering, or Science at 24-25? Perhaps others could be found like Professor of Particle Physics (Beams?), Quantum Science (Projectiles), or Condensed-matter Physics (Kits & Modules), or others from similar yet different Disciplines depending on the interrelated Schools in Theory anyways. :)

An Interesting article I found:
    Quantum-materials may soon make Star Trek technology

For special crafted items that unlocked at 15, perhaps that further increase the 46% Ultra quality chance at 20, given with 2x +50 Catalysts as a few new levels were added. I know the person who started this thread like some to continue improving, yet if a new item unlocked at 20 maybe it only get to 46% while at 25, while if another unlocked at 22 it be perhaps less. Also the items that unlock at 20+ (higher levels) require more converting of original materials/components perhaps as well, in addition to the DIL &/or Time depending on the item. Regardless something like that would expand options for everyone, and give people choices on multiple fronts, or how to replenish their supplies too!

Yet even if they (Cryptic) adopted a framework similar to this, they'd clearly put their own spin, or variation it it too. Was just trying to keep the well known Star Trek Materials, while expanding it so it be transformative... :o
    0zxlclk.png
    edited July 2021
    I've previously named 9-10, and now expand the list to 11 Star Trek Materials with Lore not yet seen; as I now added Vertion particles - from TNG: "Emergence as found at Vertiform City from TNG: Emergence, created or harvested from White Dwarf Star's &/or Nebulae and a few others sources as Geordi speculated in that episode. Some of those could also help create a 1-2 Very Rare, or maybe even 5-8 Ultra Components too!

This could also expand the 8 Very Rare Component we create today from various Materials. To also add 8 new Ultra Components that might cost a bit more DIL to craft above and beyond what we see today of 500 & 4,000 DIL for the Very Rare ones.

View them all here: (there's 8) Very Rare Components today, one in each school costing 500, the other 4,000 DIL.
    https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Research_and_Development_Components

Though perhaps they might add other things to consume existing materials or components... ...I just thought a few new Synthetic Liquid Compounds (based on several identified above) provide the most flexibility.
    0zxlclk.png
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    The RNG part keeps on being bizarre.

Last week I decided to prepare my third epg build for the next upgrade weekend. This damn Exotic Particle Field Exciter [EPG] for 150 mil on the exchange.

Ok, do it yourself! 12 chars, get cheap crafting doffs from k13, play the lottery game for 5 days.

Out of 60 field exciter I made three got [EPG] so I have one for the respective char and I am 300 mil EC richer.

Glad the Dil cost making them are so horrendous that I won’t play this game continuously. I was really happy 3 times but totally pissed the other 57 times. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

Last week I decided to prepare my third epg build for the next upgrade weekend. This damn Exotic Particle Field Exciter [EPG] for 150 mil on the exchange.

Ok, do it yourself! 12 chars, get cheap crafting doffs from k13, play the lottery game for 5 days.

Out of 60 field exciter I made three got [EPG] so I have one for the respective char and I am 300 mil EC richer.

Glad the Dil cost making them are so horrendous that I won’t play this game continuously. I was really happy 3 times but totally pissed the other 57 times. :D

3 out of 60 doesn't sound like good results to me but my only luck with Cryptic is bad luck. Hopefully you came out ahead at least a bit or even with the other 2.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

3 out of 60 doesn't sound like good results to me but my only luck with Cryptic is bad luck. Hopefully you came out ahead at least a bit or even with the other 2.

As someone who has made hundreds of EPFEs and CRCSs over the years, 3 out of 60 is pretty darn good luck. Honestly, to me it seems like the probability of getting something like EPG or All modifiers is much lower than the others. It should be the same probability for each modifier.
    No idea what the odds are or if they are evenly spread. I’m out of this business for sure. I have my console and got some ec. If I was lucky then great but it still felt like an exercise in frustration.

Cmon, I singen up to RP as soldier and pilot in this game; not as Starfleet’s lead Pakled engineer getting 3 out of 60 mods right. :D
    animated.gif
  • varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    For starters, Rank 20 R&D crafting should always result in UR quality school-specialty items and VR for everything else. Second, crafting project components, at rank 20, should have a 100% crit chance. Finally, at rank 20, rerolling stats should have no cost.

This, and ability to grant "crafting" exclusive abilities (mods) to any other items. Example, i wish to get thrust or/and pen mods in my phaser weaponry, but no... i must craft them, and use this nasty yellow animations.
    edited July 2021
    No idea what the odds are or if they are evenly spread. I’m out of this business for sure. I have my console and got some ec. If I was lucky then great but it still felt like an exercise in frustration.

Cmon, I singen up to RP as soldier and pilot in this game; not as Starfleet’s lead Pakled engineer getting 3 out of 60 mods right. :D

Yea that is honestly one Element I wish they'd IMPROVE, I expect all have the same chance, but the raw # of them is just too much! 3 of 60 attempts for EPG² (x2) doesn't sound pretty good, simply cause the # of Mod's there is has got to be close to 20 almost! There are just 12 Damage Resistance ones that could be condensed into the most viable 5, and the 4 power ones could be collapsed into just 2! That remove 8-9 Mod's giving a better chance to get what you desire!

Consider as one example we have:
    Console - Science - Exotic Particle Field Exciter Mk XII (Pla)
    +42.5 Plasma Resistance Rating
    +31.9 Exotic Particle Generator
    +21.3% Maximum Shield Capacity
    ╘ when shield healed, applies Field Exciter for 15s
    +10 Weapon Power
    (can happen once every 30 sec)

Exotic Exciter's & Conductive RCS Accelerators should remove all the single (Damage Resistance Buffs) and also remove all with a Dual BUFF! That remove 3, the single (Pha), (Dis), or (Pla) to start, and remove 3-4 more with the Duals like (PlaTet) for instance with at least 2-3 more! Someone going for a Damage Resistance, is not going to use them anyways; the ONLY ones people use are the (ResA), (ResB), (ResC), (ResD), (ResE)

NOTE: (ResAll) should remain, it seems to be the cream of the pot that many want. The discussion above mostly talks about combining all other types into ResA/B/C/D/E etc...

ResA gives:
    +37.5 Phaser Resistance Rating
    +37.5 Disruptor Resistance Rating
    +37.5 Plasma Resistence Rating
    +37.5 Tetryon Resistence Rating
    ╘ the rest are the same for B/C/D/E just different energy types in each.

Minor Improvement & Tweak to all Engineering & Science Pwr Buff's too:
    Reduce the power buff by removing two, by combining them for all Engineering &/or Science Consoles from (WpnPwr), (ShldPwr), (EngPwr), and (AuxPwr) into (WpnEngPwr) and (ShldAuxPwr) making those that remain more attractive!

Example: (For the Exotic Exciter & Conductive RCS)
    Change the Engineering & Science Buff to: Combine (WpnEngPwr) gives instead of +4.3 Pwr to One; gives +3.1 to two at XII, applies a similar staged reduction, as shown above by Cryptic from (Pla) to (ResA) but 3.1 not 3.7 given it's Field Exciter with a few extra MODs and limited to one.

Note: I've also thought the single +4.3 Pwr ENG basic crafted consoles were always :'(
    ╘ if left at Mk XII those also combine into (WpnEngPwr) or (ShldAuxPwr) to +3.1 of both.

They could also collapse a few other crafted consoles MODs, so there more Relevant today do to the Random TFO's we see largely favored today!
    0zxlclk.png
    Judging from the brief dive I took into console crafting the past week your ideas of improvements as far as mod sum ups are concerned sound fairly reasonable @strathkin :)

animated.gif
    edited March 2021
    @peterconnorfirst

Hopefully someone in the Cryptinuum maybe read's this, and says to themselves some of these idea's aren't so bad, maybe we could see to phase in a few, or several in stages over time. :)
    0zxlclk.png
    I would not mind that at all @strathkin and could see myself giving it another try. :)

At the moment I’m happy though. The two [EPG] ones granted me 319 mil on the exchange and the mere mass of 57 „failed“ field exciter somehow sold for anther 200-250 mil in sum. Peeps seem to like especially [resAll] [drainX] [controlX] for some reason.

I got enough out of it to buy my Klingon recruit a Husnock an Ateleth from the exchange cheap after the recent sales to try out one of those fancy Beam Overload builds. B)
    animated.gif
    edited March 2021
    Yes [ResAll] is the most popular, I left it out as it will likely Remain the Pinnacle for Resistance Builds; yet it just justifies why they so need to remove the 3 single, and 3-4 dual resistance buff's. Possibly also combine 2 of the 4 Power BUFFs for the Exotic Exciter & Conductive RCS Consoles as suggested above...
    0zxlclk.png
This discussion has been closed.