test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon Recruit character does not have Recruit tag

xoreahxoreah Member Posts: 4 Arc User
When the Klingon Recruitment event started, the news page here https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11483293 (which is still linked in the newsfeed in the launcher for some reason) stated that "Characters made during this time will be Klingon Recruits, and they will earn a host of new benefits and rewards to aid them in their leveling experience."

I'd been wanting to revisit a Klingon Empire character and go through their storyline for a while now, so I thought this was perfect timing.
I created my new KDF Tactical character, but didn't do anything with her as I was strapped for time.

Last week I finally got time to sit down and enjoy the KDF storyline and logged in, and it took me a while to realize that the recruitment event benefits were nowhere to be found. It wasn't like in the Delta Rising, Temporal Operative, or Dominion Recruit events where I was given a little trinket to keep in my bag and track my progress, get rewards, etc, and the temporal operative in the Great Hall on Qo'nos had nothing to say to me... What's up?

So I reported the problem, and I'm told that I had to do some kind of mission during the event in order to start it... That would have been good to know when it was announced, but nowhere in that page does it say that I have to do a few missions in order to qualify, it says that characters created during that time are Klingon Recruits.

In my near eight years of playing (started just after Legacy of Romulus launched), I've never been a victim of false advertising before. There have been a couple of bumps along the way with events not working quite right, but they've always corrected the issue before.

This time, though, I was asked to report this as a bug, so here it is.

Comments

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    It's not a bug, nor are you a victim of false advertising. You failed to play your character through the tutorial to receive your "trinket", the same as every other recruitment event.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,995 Arc User
    It's not a bug, nor are you a victim of false advertising. You failed to play your character through the tutorial to receive your "trinket", the same as every other recruitment event.
    This, exactly this.
    To become a Klingon Recruit, you needed to play through the tutorial during the recruitment event.
    This is exactly the same way that the Delta and Gamma recruitment events worked.
    Temporal recruit required getting to the end of the first mission line, not just the tutorial.
    So, yes - whenever there is a recruitment event, you must play through the tutorial during the event.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • xoreahxoreah Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Given what the GM said I believe both of you are right, that I needed to do the tutorial, though I don't remember that being necessary to get the tag on one's name showing the recruitment status of the character in the previous events.

I must disagree about it not being incorrect, though. The news article did not say anything about needing to play any mission, it said that characters created during that time are given the tag, which is false, and thus not what was advertised, and thus false advertising...
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,995 Arc User
    xoreah wrote: »
    The news article did not say anything about needing to play any mission...
    The News articles for each of the other events didn't say anything like this either.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    The news article did not say anything about needing to play any mission...
    The News articles for each of the other events didn't say anything like this either.

That would make this a very old and recurring thing then.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,438 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Given what the GM said I believe both of you are right, that I needed to do the tutorial, though I don't remember that being necessary to get the tag on one's name showing the recruitment status of the character in the previous events.

I must disagree about it not being incorrect, though. The news article did not say anything about needing to play any mission, it said that characters created during that time are given the tag, which is false, and thus not what was advertised, and thus false advertising...

Doing the tutorial in order to get your transponder is needed to have the tag to become a Klingon Recruit. Why did you think that you became a Klingon Recruit by just creating a character? For every event, you need to play the tutorial and get the transceiver. This is not the blog's fault, it is your fault for not getting the transponder in the first place. All you needed to do was play through the tutorial missions to the point when you get that device and you would have been golden. This is not rocket science. Common sense is in order here. This is not a bug.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Why did you think that you became a Klingon Recruit by just creating a character? For every event, you need to play the tutorial and get the transceiver. This is not the blog's fault, it is your fault for not getting the transponder in the first place. All you needed to do was play through the tutorial missions to the point when you get that device and you would have been golden. This is not rocket science. Common sense is in order here. This is not a bug.

Per the announcement: "Characters made during this time will be Klingon Recruits", reading it many more times now, I still see nothing that says anything about playing any amount of time for it.
    I didn't remember needing to in previous ones, but I had time to actually play in the previous ones too, so I was not affected by this in previous events.

It is my fault for not getting the transponder, but it _didn't say I needed to_ and I was in a hurry.

No, this is not a bug, it is simply an error in the verbiage of their announcement.
    I was told to write this as a bug, so I am here writing it as a bug, following the GM's instructions.