test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Legendary Galaxy Mirror Dreadnaught needs lots of work

possum440possum440 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
I purchased this ship and was very disappointed. The ship is lackluster to say the least. It is from the mirror Universe, a combat universe and we have a ship that is labeled "legendary" when it is not. We have a reskinned galaxy exploration vessel with a third nacelle attached for looks alone, the third nacelle does absolutely nothing for stats or performance.

The ship is missing a built in Battlecloak. The lance is more than useless, it is lacking in power all around, and the performance is that of a stock galaxy exploration ship. The thing has three nacelles, THREE! One would think the third nacelle would give it a huge power boost all around, nope. One would think that the performance, that is movement and turning would be on par with a turn rate of 8 or better than ships with two nacelles, nope. Shields and weapons power levels, also garbage. THREE nacelles...

I was ripped off. This ship needs a lot of work.

Being from the mirror universe the ship is made for combat and maneuverability. The third nacelle should give a minimum of15 to the warpcore reserves, 15 to weapons 10 to shields and 10 to engines. Subsystems would see a reserve of 15 that would replenish over time once the lance was fired.

The lance should be more powerful than it is. Since it does not work like the tv show the rework needs to be at least some guaranteed critical damage inherent since it is a ship of the line weapon, and a selling feature. Possibly "stun" the ships hit, taking everything off line, having the ships lose attitude control and drift for 6 seconds. currently it is another button to push that results in nothing for the cost of the package.

The third nacelle does absolutely nothing for this ship and is currently there for looks stat wise. let's go devs, make this ship worth the money I spent. Currently this pig is only worth a refund in it's condition.

The turn rate needs to be 8 at least, more if the reserves are at full, a turn rate of 5.5 for 10 seconds if the lance is fired. The Fixes needed to make the ship "legendary"" can be hard capped, so that adding more consoles simply tops off the stats and doesn't make the ship move like a fighter or silly overpowered.

Being from the mirror universe, that universe being all combat all the time, and a third nacelle should mean something, currently it does not.
There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.

Comments

• disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    The nacelles aren't for normal space propulsion. Those are where the equipment to generate and controll a warp field are housed. The in universe benefit would be the ability to maintain a higher warp speed for longer, not make the vessel faster, just able to maintain top speed.

Power, as in free energy, would come from the matter anti matter reactor and the deuterium impulse reactors.

The agility would be a function of inertia. Which in Star trek is managed by a subspace dampening device, creating a drag or push against subspace similar to the impulse drives.

Mirror universe or not the refit galaxy was not a ship of the line, in all good things it was due to be retired, Riker just liked the old girl. This implies it was a wartime retrofit to bring it closer to the current standard of ship performance.

The lance is iffy but it's also a free weapon. It doesn't cost a weapon slot or a console slot.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    First, your statement regarding the dreadnaught, is flat wrong. Riker did not "just like the old girl". That dreadnaught was made for war, and is a ship of the line in that timeline, as it is officially described. The mirror universe is another timeline, and nothing but war and intrigue, and a ship coming from there should be exceptional considering the amount of fighting that goes on due to the way elections and leadership roles are determined. The galaxy dreadnaught was purpose built for war and states as such.

Inertia in this game is flat wrong. It was wrong when they were developing the game and were told about it, it is still wrong 11 years later. It is backwards and certainly not based on ship weight or mass. The devs simply did not want to go back and make all the changes needed to each individual ship when they were told and stated that is the way things are in STO, backwards and inaccurate.

The huge problem with inertia aside, if the ships in STO were working as you describe I would gladly agree, but they do not. Base, unbuffed hull, simplified is the weigh or mass that needs to be controlled, the "weight/mass" of the ship, should be the ONLY factor in determining inertia and turn rate, well that and the number of impulse engines that apparently are just there for looks seeing the galaxy dread has 4 compared to two or three on most others. Turn rate, that is another fiasco the devs simply spitball and give arbitrary numbers to being this is a fantasy game and movement in space as it should be is completely wrong in this game. Again, I get the whole fantasy setting for flying in space. it is used far to often as a crutch.

What I do not agree with is a ship of the same base Hull/mass accelerating/decelerating, or turning at differing rates. Take any ship in this game with the same base hull/mass and you will see wildly differing turn rates and acceleration, this is simply wrong. The counter argument is likely, "well, different things in the ship weigh different amounts and thus different mass"

Again, the argument that would likely be used is that hull mass is not the "actual mass" of the ship in question, that is simply a crutch to say the games movement and ship stats are fine as they are. They are not. If we use that crutch then any ship larger than the dreadnaught I am talking about should have worse acceleration and turning, but they do not.

Do not try to use the subspace dampening device bs, that is simply another crutch and stating each ship is the way it is because of the different, inherent dampening devices does not work except as an excuse.

The easy answer is "that is just the way it is". As for your summation that the warp nacelles have nothing to do with movement, I will have to disagree. Having a third or fourth nacelle requires a much more powerful warp core to drive them, that extra power being used to charge whatever fantasy power source that drives the impulse engines. Then we have the number of impulse engines that are also seemingly have nothing to do with performance other than looks.

Ships larger than the ship I am discussing have far better acceleration and turning, further proof that the stats are simply eyeballed in this game and no actual thought goes into making these ships other than to make them pretty to look at.

The vast majority of Legendary ships in this game are NOT legendary, and the inertia in this game needs to be fixed or at the very least ships of the same mass given the same turn rates and acceleration.

This post is too long as it is and weapon power for these dreadnaughts is also lacking. Anyway, thanks for the discussion, stay safe. :)

There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    More concerned about the false advertising on that pack. Half a year later they still list Universal console Reinforcing Squadrons in the list which was the entire reason I brought the pack. When you buy the pack the console which is listed is never provided.
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    More concerned about the false advertising on that pack. Half a year later they still list Universal console Reinforcing Squadrons in the list which was the entire reason I brought the pack. When you buy the pack the console which is listed is never provided.

There is so much wrong with how PWE charges for this game and as you stated, the wording is flat deception in many cases. The cost for this game is far to high. I thought I was going to have a decent ship, turns out it is mostly a cut and paste and not legendary at all. I was ripped off. My education with this company continues.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    possum440 wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »

There is so much wrong with how PWE charges for this game and as you stated, the wording is flat deception in many cases. The cost for this game is far to high. I thought I was going to have a decent ship, turns out it is mostly a cut and paste and not legendary at all. I was ripped off. My education with this company continues.

Its not ideal but you can put in a support ticket asking for a refund due to the missing item which they will most likely refuse then ask for a part Zen refund for the missing item which they should provide. If they refuse again insist on the missing item being provided at which point chances are its easier for the part refund to be given to you then the missing item. It can work to at least get 1000 ish zen back. Like I said not ideal but better then nothing for this misleading pack.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Possum. Your logic and mine seem to be based on different base assumptions

Your reasoning seems to bounce between story and game play.

The first point you make seems to be partly based on story. In all good things admiral Riker actually stayed that the enterprise D refit he is commanding when he rescues the pastures crew was due for decommissioning, and that one of the benefits of being admiral is he can have any ship he wants.

As for the mirror universe, they have never been shown to be technically distinct. All the ships are the same as their prime counterparts. In the sto timeline this is due to the terrans stealing the designs from the prime universe.

As to inertia your assumption it seems based on game play. Backend mechanics aside and fictional technology discarded, the galaxy glass is massive and one would not assume a ship of that scale would be nimble. Maybe in the future they will do another balance pass on turn rates but I still would not expect higher than 8.

As to the nacelles. Seems like story logic again. I didn't say they had nothing to do with movement, I said the had no effect on normal space propulsion. As far as the space magic explanations go, the warp drive doesn't actually move the ship, it moves space around the ship. The nacelles house the devices to create and control that bubble, housing those devices at the edges of the ships footprint allows for greater controll, and more of them would further fine tune that controll.

Impulse drives what affect normal space propulsion. They are reaction less drives so they're apparent size on the outside of the vessel doesn't really tell you much about their performance, since there could be more inside the structure of the ship that you can't see.

As for your satisfaction with your purchase, can't argue there, that's due to personal taste, I like mine.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus