test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Intermittent Cloaking Bug, Klingon Recruit.

So while playing Defense of Starbase One on my Klingon recruit, the advanced cloaking ability failed like it does for the Romulan Battle cloak. I was cloaked could fire my Torpedoes but could not get out of cloak to fire my main energy weapons. The cloak/de-cloak ability was always active and I could just keep clicking it, but would make the cloaking sound, but would not come out of cloak at all. I spent the entire battle in cloak only able to fire torpedoes every 30 secs.
So far this has happened only twice, and I do not know what triggers it. I doubt it will be fixed, since the Romulan battle cloak has been broken for years and never resolved, but figured I'd mention it anyway.

Comments

• awesomeweaselawesomeweasel Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    don't hold your breath about them ever fixing it. i've been playing ever since it came out on console like 6 years ago and everyone complains about it, but they have never even attempted to fix it.
  • knightmare#8708 knightmare Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    While I'm not 100% certain it seems to be occurring (for the advanced cloak on Klingon recruit) when the Photonic Fleet is activated either in or out of combat while cloaked. This is happening more often now in missions, tfo's and battlegrounds. It could of course still just be random, but the majority of times that I have noticed is when the photonic fleet occurs. I'll have to turn off the auto activate and see if it still happens.
  • oredshirt#7209 oredshirt Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    If by 'advanced' you mean 'Battle Cloak' or perhaps 'Enhanced battle cloak', then 100% certain this is the bug weasel is refering to.

If by advanced you mean the new starship trait for ambush, then some clarity in your original post would help pinpoint the proper issue.

To devs, I hear PC has a 'blow my ship up option' or something like that in the menu... Console players would LOVE this option... and in menu cloak override would be awesome if it worked and made a viable solution to not being able to fix cloaks on ships...
    Yes I mean the Advanced Cloak that you get with the Klingon Recruit ship. While the effect is virtually the same as the Battle cloak bug, the difference is you can still fire your torpedoes and most of your bridge officer abilities. I turned off Phontonic Fleet and it still happened so I do not know what is causing it, it could have something to do with summoning the Voth Core instead. Happened during a simple patrol mission with no abilities set to auto.

Basically what ever the cause is, it is likely the same cause that affects the Battle cloak and has for years, at least with this new cloak we can still carry out some attacks.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    OP, have you tried unslotting the Hunter's Instinct trait? That was causing problems on PC until that was fixed but we still in general have cloaking problems just like consoles.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • oredshirt#7209 oredshirt Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Yes I mean the Advanced Cloak that you get with the Klingon Recruit ship. While the effect is virtually the same as the Battle cloak bug, the difference is you can still fire your torpedoes and most of your bridge officer abilities. I turned off Phontonic Fleet and it still happened so I do not know what is causing it, it could have something to do with summoning the Voth Core instead. Happened during a simple patrol mission with no abilities set to auto.

Basically what ever the cause is, it is likely the same cause that affects the Battle cloak and has for years, at least with this new cloak we can still carry out some attacks.

I personally haven't touched that ship, I will look at it though to personally clarify on the technical aspects. But it sounds exactly like and 'enhanced battle cloak', which is pretty much fire torps from the veil, so that being said... I think this just falls under the category of standard cloak fails and not much you will be able to do about it...

Dealing with red alert triggers and cloak cooldowns sucks, but finding another ship with a standard cloak on it will fix 99% of these issues..

If you absolutely LOVE that ship or perhaps it is even your only option you could try adding a couple of copies of torp spread boff ability, and get 4x Kelvin timeline torps... if you get stuck in cloak, get out of red alert, switch to kelvin torps... they have a 4 second recharge rate... I am not sure if they changed it, but it used to be if you used projectile doffs too that you had a change to just spam the love out of the trigger for continuous torp shots about once a second.

If you are trying specifically for the ambush kills challenge, look up the guide for ambush farming on 'home'. I was getting about 90 ambush kills every 2-3 minutes just using Beam fire at will.
    I kept seeing Enhanced cloak, and yet I seem to have continually typed it as Advanced, how weird is that. As soon as I get my 2500 kills I will change ships. But if a mechanic is put in the game then said mechanic should work as intended or should be fixed asap, not 5 years down the track. I am positive the cause of this bug is exactly the same cause(s) of the Romulan battle cloak which has never been fixed and is a constant thorn in the side of Romulan players.
  • jedimobiusjedimobius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    > @sthe91 said:
    > OP, have you tried unslotting the Hunter's Instinct trait? That was causing problems on PC until that was fixed but we still in general have cloaking problems just like consoles.

I'm having the same issue and haven't unlocked that trait yet.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I am positive the cause of this bug is exactly the same cause(s) of the Romulan battle cloak which has never been fixed and is a constant thorn in the side of Romulan players.

As someone who solely plays Romulan Republic, I have all but given up on cloak/decloak/shoot/recloak playstyle because of this issue. I use enhanced battle cloak on my torp build and a few select stealth EPG builds knowing that I will be cloaked 100% of the time and only using weapons/abilities that can be used while under the effect of the EBC. Acticate EBC when I enter a map, and never decloak unless a mission objective/dialog/enemy ability forces me out of cloak.
    After lots of trials and testing, it seems almost certain this is caused by certain automatically activating special abilities. If you hit cloak and as you start to cloak if any of the following happens or combination of the following the the cloak gets bugged, Summon "Voth Power Core", "Photonic Fleet", "Plasma Storm", "Mobile Torpedo Turret" Anything that may cause you to summon something, like the vortex anomaly etc

There may be others which I do not have that will do the same. Timing seems to be a major contributor here, if the above activate as you are going into cloak then that is what seems to bug the cloak and you cannot get out of cloak. If these abilities activate after you have fully cloaked then it seems to function fine 9 times out of 10.

To fix, the cloak bug. There are two options the devs could give us. When the cloak bug happens we can fix it by scanning a material node, magnisite, gas etc that breaks the cloak and things works again normally. Perhaps give us a control ability that acts as if we are scanning a mining node, that will break us out of cloak and away we can go.

Some speech dialogue also breaks the cloak. The other option is to give us a self destruct option, let us blow up the ship (no damage penalty though and no added time penalty either) Add that ability until you find away to fix the cloak bug properly if ever, at least then we can take part in the TFO, Mission or Patrol again normally and not feel useless or have to restart the mission from the beginning for the third time in a row.
  • darkstar#8047 darkstar Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    It appears having the option to use a Shield restore device is also a major cause. Having this set to use at any time means that if you get hit going into cloak it activates as you do and can then not get out of cloak. Why this breaks it I do not know, but since I turned off the auto use of the shield battery the number of times cloak has locked up has reduced dramatically. There are still other things that will lock you into cloak, like any summon ability, Voth core, Photonic fleet and other similar things if they activate as you get hit going into cloak.

Also setting the auto use to 10 or 20 seconds will also not work as this timer is not working. I have the Voth core set to activate 20 seconds after combat, but it activates immediately the moment I fire any weapon, same applies for almost every other ability with a 10 or 20 second time limit activate.

Also avoid going into cloak when under fire, that will almost always break the cloak and you will be stuck cloaked. You need to wait until out of combat, and hope like hell that no voice over happens as you go into cloak either as this will also lock you into cloak.
    Also avoid going into cloak when under fire, that will almost always break the cloak and you will be stuck cloaked. You need to wait until out of combat, and hope like hell that no voice over happens as you go into cloak either as this will also lock you into cloak.

This is the most frustrating thing about this bug: it basically renders battle cloaks useless. In order to avoid the bug, you have to use your battle cloak as if it were a basic cloak.

I do not use any devices or summon abilities like the ones listed above (except photonic fleet) on my ships for the most part, but every time I go into cloak while in battle, there is at least a 50% chance I will get stuck. I have watched, I have checked, and the only thing I can narrow it down to is being in the heat of battle while cloaking. Could it also be shield healing BOFF abilities?
  • darkstar#8047 darkstar Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I truly do not know, as soon as i think i have it worked out as to what locks up the cloak it happens again for an entirely different reason. After posting my earlier comment I went back into the game and had the cloak bug out on me yet again and this time I had nothing activated. I wasn't even in combat, but as I went into cloak, suddenly I was in red Alert with the voice saying my ship was under attack, yet there were no enemies on screen remotely near me. I was cloaking to approach them, yet as soon as I cloaked I was put in combat and the cloak was bugged yet again. I had to abort the mission and start again, I'm never going to get my 2500 hunters award at this rate.
  • carlos#7199 carlos Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I used to the fact that the only "safe" cloaking is the classic one.
  • awesomeweaselawesomeweasel Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    i did allot of messing around with the cloaking, and have found out that the only time i was not able to uncloak is when i cloaked while in red alert. if i cloaked while even when not in battle but was in red alert it would lock me cloaked and could not get out of it.

so basically if you want to be able to uncloak only cloak while not in red alert. i find it very frustraighting that you can not manually turn off red alert as it is sometime triggered just by readying a torpedo, and sometimes it seem to take for ever to turn off on its own even when there is no enemies around.
    i did allot of messing around with the cloaking, and have found out that the only time i was not able to uncloak is when i cloaked while in red alert. if i cloaked while even when not in battle but was in red alert it would lock me cloaked and could not get out of it.

so basically if you want to be able to uncloak only cloak while not in red alert. i find it very frustraighting that you can not manually turn off red alert as it is sometime triggered just by readying a torpedo, and sometimes it seem to take for ever to turn off on its own even when there is no enemies around.

Yes, the only way to prevent the cloak bug is to treat all battle cloaks like the run-of-the-mill basic cloak. I still can't believe Cryptic decided to showcase such a broken mechanic during the Klingon Recruitment event.

I will never be able to finish the 2500 ambush kills at this rate.