Engage lens flare and prepare the promo boxes - new JJ Trek film in the works

darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
edited March 2021 in Ten Forward
New JJ Trek film apparently in the works:

New Star Trek movie in the works with JJ Abrams producing

Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    there's a thing on dark horizon about this. said they have a writer, but forgot her name. with jarjar involved it can't be good. what SHOULD be done instead is throw all that $$$ at the producers of Axanar to complete it and give us a REAL ST movie
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    What's left on the trek wiki for him to abduct, rip the heart from and sell the hollow carcass in a coffin of lens flare?

The answer to that will be his new movie.

Maybe a rehash of the final frontier with a disco twist, kirk asks "what does god need with a starship" then burnham arrives in a blinding flash and says "who needs god when you have me?"
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    what SHOULD be done instead is throw all that $$$ at the producers of Axanar

Oh God no, anything but that! Those people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Trek after the damage they've done.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,589 Arc User
    What's left on the trek wiki for him to abduct, rip the heart from and sell the hollow carcass in a coffin of lens flare?

The answer to that will be his new movie.

Maybe a rehash of the final frontier with a disco twist, kirk asks "what does god need with a starship" then burnham arrives in a blinding flash and says "who needs god when you have me?"

Oh its JJ.... I fully expect if another happens it will be super painful. Perhaps the JJ crew will run into a recast Q or a skin of evil. lol To be completely fair beyond did introduce some new stuff, but as the lowest money maker I can see JJ going back to the wiki.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Ugh... As if the damage the first time around for Star Trek and then the devastation of Star Wars wasn't enough. Now he comes back for another kick to the balls of Trek.
    The-Patriot-Drink-GIF.gif
    XzRTofz.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Abrams is producing, not directing, not writing or anything...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Abrams is producing, not directing, not writing or anything...

Producers have much more effect on a production than the writers do since they call the shots and approve or reject what the writers write.
    there's a thing on dark horizon about this. said they have a writer, but forgot her name. with jarjar involved it can't be good. what SHOULD be done instead is throw all that $$$ at the producers of Axanar to complete it and give us a REAL ST movie

Not no but hell no. Alec Peters destroyed Star Trek fan films/shows by declaring himself an industry professional with the intent on giving fans the Star Trek they want instead of the OFFICIAL Star Trek CBS has exclusive rights to produce. He declared war on CBS and threatened to use their own IP as a bludgeon against them.

And yet so many fans want to treat him like he's some sort of martyr or hero. When I read his comment of intent, I couldn't help but think, "This will not end well."

The result was CBS imposing guidelines on fan flim production so draconian that to do anything that looked more than amateurish and lasted more than 30 minutes would be subject to cease and desist. Peters crossed the line. He ceased to be a fan producing a labor of love and became competition. CBS had to act legally, or else set a precedence for others to do the same.

We are fans. The only thing we are entitled to concerning Star Trek is the choice to watch it or not, or to like it or not. It doesn't matter how much merchandise we've bought, or how many movies we went to see. Our money in those cases entitled us to the merchandise or admission to the movies. We have absolutely NO creative rights in terms of the direction Trek is taken, whether we like it or not. That right rests solely with CBS. Star Trek is their IP. It is their right and obligation to defend it as strongly as they see fit.

Axanar once interested me greatly, but once Peters said what he said, I was like "Nope!"

But go ahead. Make him out to be the Savior of Trek fandom... But don't be forgetting that it came out that a significant portion of the crowdfunding went to him forming his studio that would gone on after production of Axanar to be a tool which he would have profited by. But what do we care about things like that, right?

You know, if Peters hadn't acted the way he did, it is entirely possible that Axanar would have been completed already, and CBS would have continued to turn a blind eye towards every fan venture and in spite of the direction they have taken Trek officially, fan productions would have remained intact. But thanks to Axanar, we'll never know, will we...

While I do not condone what Peters did when he was backed into a corner, the defense he tried to use (the fact that by points of similarity it could be argued that Paramount (and therefor CBS) effectively abandoned Star Trek back in the 1960s) actually has some validity according to scholarly papers studying IP holder abuses of the copyright laws (Disney is the worst offender btw).

Still, instead of having to try that defense the best bet would have been avoiding poking the CBS bear by shooting off his mouth and even selling merchandise (the worst offence of the bunch in fact, since it potentially hits the corporation in the wallet, especially at a time when CBS was having such a struggle with its then DOA streaming service).
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    By the way, who actually made this announcement, was it was from Paramount directly, Bad Robot Press release, or something from Twitter?

Not too long ago, there was another article stating that all Trek future developments was on hold, which included TV, maybe anime and possibility film.

I research the new writer, she has a lot of work under her banner...but I think no actual film credit, majority of work was in television and Tv movies.

If this is to drum interest and possible investment...I guess they haven't learned their lesson from the last attempt ( e.g. St #4)
    Post edited by truewarper on
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    I am not in up to date on whos developed fan films and who hasn't. I will say this first new star trek movie was the biggest catastrophe in star trek history. By destroying Romulus they through whole section of star trek away. A huge chance to explore the Romulan star empire. Really dumb by story and a good way to miss out on making some money. The second one was a failure in trying to copy wraith of con but missed. Now star trek beyond, I actually enjoyed. It was star trek, and now and days that's something.

The problem with any new movie for any great IP, is the people that make it, have no respect for what has been done before. Hence why star wars was on its death bed, until the Mandalorian came out. Picard did not do a too bad job with the Romulans losing there homeworld. Unlike STO which did the sloppy it meant the entire Star Empire collapsed. They showed it hurt the Romulans but did not leave them utterly destroyed. Case and point a organized Romulan attack against the Android Homeworld. If your empire is in utter chaos, you would not be able to do something like that. The mention of past treaties between the Romulans and Federation. I am losing focus here.

Another star trek movie ok. All I hope is it does not obliterate Star trek, or hurt it. We have come a long way from expecting the best from a film with the name star trek, to please just dont do something stupid and destroy the IP.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    JJ Abrams....

Mystery Boxes and Lens Flares, like M. Night Shyamalan's twist endings, has gone flat a long time ago.

Like JJ's Superman reboot, I might end up watching it when it goes into rotation on TV. Maybe.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    again? what happened to #4 oh yeah it was vaporware to drum up investments. I'll believe it when I see it show up on streaming/pay per view. see how it goes, if it goes after his supposed superman movie gets it's released.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Moved to Ten Forward, as this is not really discussing anything in game.

Also keep it civil guys. We all have our opinions regarding certain subjects... but lets not prep any flamethrowers over them.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    UPDATING---on the ST Film.

Nothing directly from Paramount, if memory serves me, about 3 Julys ago, they did not renew the Film license to BR, this was in lieu of the merger that came later between CBS & Paramount.

So, in hence, this is a PUFF piece to drum up interest. If Paramount ever venture back in to do a film, Bad Robot gets involved and that means a new and longer contract. Which nobody at PMt, wants to do again.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Says in the article, Kalinda Vazquez. She wrote the finale to the Mirror Universe two-parter in Season 3 of Discovery and the Ask Not Short Trek episode which features Captain Pike and a cadet. She also served as a consulting producer for Season 3 of Discovery according to Memory Alpha.
    We really shouldn't judge it on who the writer is alone before we even know anything about the movie. IMO there are VERY few instances where that is acceptable.
    Considering the fact that the writer actually drew on elements from Trek's history as well... she may actually do something interesting. I mean who saw the Guardian of Forever coming?
    Anyways...
    Personally I feel we should just wait and see what happens.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    The Kelvin films had their good moments (third especially), but with all the CBS Trek stuff out now the fans are getting inundated with off-kilter almost-Trek even without another Kelvin film so I get the feeling investors would be even more leery about a fourth film than just the disappointing box office showing of the third one.
    The Kelvin films had their good moments (third especially)...

Can thank Justin Lin and Simon Pegg for the third one.