test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Albino Klingon skin???

cncshadecncshade Member Posts: 30 Arc User
Why do we not have that white skin color that VOQ has? It is canon in two different shows. I for one think that VOQ looked AWESOME. I would love to have that skin on my DISCO KLINK!!!!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Maybe to keep Voq special?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • cncshadecncshade Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Maybe to keep Voq special?

Is he really special if he isn't the only one???
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I figured they would have added it when the added Disco Klinks. Seems like a major oversight during YoK.
  • vieth1vieth1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I too had hoped for the same thing...a white skin...because it looks so good on a Klingon. But...alas, no go.
  • stocostumes#8412 stocostumes Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    1: agreed, the DSC klingon species should have all of the skin tone options that were seen in the show.

2: until that happens, we have created these custom costumes using the alien species:

https://imgur.com/a/weGZ5m8

These costumes are based on the following characters from the TV show as well as STO originals, in order of appearance in the picture album: T'Kuvma, L'Rell(season1), Voq, Kol, L'Rell(season 2), Kol'Sha, Tenavik, J'Ula, Akar, and a generic Mo'Kai warrior.

You can download the saved costume files, as well as see pictures of the slider settings here.

Please note that the the costume files/pictures for all of the characters that actually appeared in the show are in the "Discovery" folder, while the files for J'Ula, Akar, and the Mo'Kai warrior are in the "STO Characters" folder.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    If I remember the first season correctly albino klingons are supposed to be rare, so my guess is CBS said no.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    If I remember the first season correctly albino klingons are supposed to be rare, so my guess is CBS said no.

You might be right, but I don't buy it.

Yes, they are supposed to be rare, but then again, there are hundreds of players flying around in a TOS Connie named U.S.S. Enterprise, so I don't buy the "It's supposed to be rare" argument.

Even if every klink player made an albino character, storywise, it is still just one albino klink. All player characters in the same faction are really just the same character in the STO storyline.

Who knows, maybe they are going to try to monetize it later on by selling a skin option unlock in the C-store for 1k zen.
    garaffe wrote: »
    there are hundreds of players flying around in a TOS Connie named U.S.S. Enterprise

That is simply not true, the name "Enterprise" is blocked (pretty sure the registry 1701 is also blocked). Sure, there are people flying "U.S.S. Entrprise", "U.S.S. Entorprise", etc, but none of them are actually named "Enterprise".
    eaY7Xxu.png
    there are hundreds of players flying around in a TOS Connie named U.S.S. Enterprise

That is simply not true, the name "Enterprise" is blocked (pretty sure the registry 1701 is also blocked). Sure, there are people flying "U.S.S. Entrprise", "U.S.S. Entorprise", etc, but none of them are actually named "Enterprise".

My point still stands. This is a game, after all, where you can fly an NX refit in endgame content because reasons. We can even equip our ships with the cutting edge technology of phase cannons and grapplers. Certainly this ancient technology would also be "rare" and relegated to museums, not state-of-the-art frontline ships. The only reason for me to fly an NX would be space barbie/RP, just link the only reason to create an albino klink would be space barbie/RP.

The discussion is moot however because we have no clue whether or not Cryptic made the deliberate decision to not allow albino klinks. I am of the opinion that this was probably just an oversight.

**Disclaimer** This post was not an attack on the NX refit or Enterprise era technology. It is not my cup of tea, but I fully support having it in game for those who do like that particular brew.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    So far there's been three seen in the series Voq, Tenavik and the one that was killed by Kang in the DS9 episode Blood Oath.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I figured they would have added it when the added Disco Klinks. Seems like a major oversight during YoK.

Some might think that whole YoK was a major oversight from beginning to end mostly.

My point still stands. This is a game, after all, where you can fly an NX refit in endgame content because reasons. We can even equip our ships with the cutting edge technology of phase cannons and grapplers. Certainly this ancient technology would also be "rare" and relegated to museums, not state-of-the-art frontline ships. The only reason for me to fly an NX would be space barbie/RP, just link the only reason to create an albino klink would be space barbie/RP.

The discussion is moot however because we have no clue whether or not Cryptic made the deliberate decision to not allow albino klinks. I am of the opinion that this was probably just an oversight.

**Disclaimer** This post was not an attack on the NX refit or Enterprise era technology. It is not my cup of tea, but I fully support having it in game for those who do like that particular brew.

I agree that since they allow all eras to be mixed then anything seen in the shows should be available, however CBS has vetoed things in the past for similar reasons. For years endgame Enterprise and TOS ships were prohibited, then when they greenlit AoY suddenly that wasn't an issue anymore (I've always been curious what made them change their mind on that), when the Discovery faction first launched Kelpiens weren't allowed but are now (still not in-game yet, but probably will be eventually), etc. As prominent as Voq was it seems very likely to me that albino klingons were vetoed by CBS to keep them rare rather than a Cryptic oversight.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    While on the topic of albinism wonder what other species have it, besides Humans, Aenar and Klingons, I think would be fascinating if everyone's favorite pointy eared green bloods also had albinos.
    While on the topic of albinism wonder what other species have it, besides Humans, Aenar and Klingons, I think would be fascinating if everyone's favorite pointy eared green bloods also had albinos.

Since albinism is a genetic trait where the body does not produce pigments, it would make sense that every species, or at least the mammalian ones, would have an albino option. I know several albino gamers that have commented in the past about the lack of representation of albinos in games.
  • vieth1vieth1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    incorrectly posted...
    vieth1 wrote: »
    incorrectly posted...

What was incorrect about the post? we got albino klingons in both DS9 and Discovery.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    incorrectly posted...

What was incorrect about the post? we got albino klingons in both DS9 and Discovery.

I think he means he incorrectly posted in the wrong thread or forum.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

Since albinism is a genetic trait where the body does not produce pigments, it would make sense that every species, or at least the mammalian ones, would have an albino option. I know several albino gamers that have commented in the past about the lack of representation of albinos in games.

at least lizards and birds have albinism as well though, albinos in the wild tend to die off quite quickly due to the other issue besides lack of pigment that condition causes.

also for most trek species the skin color probably wouldn't be white but rather that of the underlying tissue (for example human albinos have skin really pale pink(ish) skin color and pale blond hair)
    spiritborn wrote: »

at least lizards and birds have albinism as well though, albinos in the wild tend to die off quite quickly due to the other issue besides lack of pigment that condition causes.

also for most trek species the skin color probably wouldn't be white but rather that of the underlying tissue (for example human albinos have skin really pale pink(ish) skin color and pale blond hair)

Yes, this is true, most albinos in the animal world die off before reaching maturity. However, most humans don't, and I think we can assume most albino Vulcans, Klingons, Ferengi, etc. also do not die before reaching maturity. It is true that we have only seen albino Klinks in Trek shows, but that is no reason why the skin option can't be available to all species.

Yes, this is true, most albinos in the animal world die off before reaching maturity. However, most humans don't, and I think we can assume most albino Vulcans, Klingons, Ferengi, etc. also do not die before reaching maturity. It is true that we have only seen albino Klinks in Trek shows, but that is no reason why the skin option can't be available to all species.
    Vulcans and Possibly Ferengi too but IIRC it was point out that it was atypical for Voq to have not been killed as baby and it's the reason why he is a "son of none". After all the reason IRL human albinos survive into adulthood is because modern medical technology can compensate for the issue cause by albinism not because of anything special inherent in the human genome that allows better change of survival (there is no such thing after all).
    Vulcans and Possibly Ferengi too but IIRC it was point out that it was atypical for Voq to have not been killed as baby and it's the reason why he is a "son of none". After all the reason IRL human albinos survive into adulthood is because modern medical technology can compensate for the issue cause by albinism not because of anything special inherent in the human genome that allows better change of survival (there is no such thing after all).

Do you think STO era Klingons still kill their albino babies? IDK.

Do you think STO era Klingons still kill their albino babies? IDK.

I don't know either. On the other hand Klingons are highly traditionalists so it's possible they kept that custom, Voq is the only 100% confirmed albino Klingon (there's also the character called "the albino" from DS9 but it's not 100% confirmed he was a Klingon) in canon at the moment.

However I could see customs like that being an issue with relationships with the UFP so the Klingon Empire could also discard them. For better odds during negotiations (especially after Praxis).
  • cncshadecncshade Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    incorrectly posted...

No it wasn't. It's in the right spot.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    This is where it's supposed to be. While there is a feedback section for things such as the Art of STO, this does not fall under that section as a question is being asked about a certain skin's availability, without feedback being specifically offered about said skin.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.